Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Best musical pieces over 11 minutes long

Ok, it's summer and time for another musical discussion. This time, how about the best musical pieces over 11 minutes long?

Even in the greatest days of WMMS and WEBN, for example, this stuff hardly ever got played, unless you were listening at 3:00am, but this stuff is epic nonetheless. Some of the best virtuoso work ever done by certain performers is on the extended pieces.

Here then is my list. Headphones are recommended for listening:

-Dogs- Pink Floyd from Animals
    -Gates of Delirium- Yes from Relayer
    -Ordinary People- Neil Young from Chrome Dreams II
    -Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands- Bob Dylan from Blonde on Blonde
    -Symphony #9- Ludwig Von Beethoven
    -Walk on By-Isaac Hayes from Hot Buttered Soul
    -Bitches Brew- Miles Davis from Bitches Brew

Sorry. Inagaddadvida didn't make the list. A little too ponderous for me.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Any Pink Floyd song is considered to be one of the greatest, but over 11 minutes long, most live versions of Comfortably Numb, and High Hopes. But also have to go with Pigs, from the Animals album.
    If you think of me, I hope you think of me well and if you drink to me, don't drink cheap - Ken "Firehose" Akers (1/27/85 - 1/22/11)

Quote Originally Posted by Titanxman04 View Post
    Any Pink Floyd song is considered to be one of the greatest, but over 11 minutes long, most live versions of Comfortably Numb, and High Hopes. But also have to go with Pigs, from the Animals album.
    By WEBN standards all Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin songs are the greatest ever. I wished they would realize that those songs are over 30 years old and do away with them.
    Last edited by Atlas; 08-22-2009 at 10:38 PM.

Talking

Any Mozart, Beethoven, Bach , Schumann, Brahms opus. And throw in a two-disc set of Billy Joel's best plus a serious dose of Sinatra:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Ok, it's summer and time for another musical discussion. This time, how about the best musical pieces over 11 minutes long?

Sorry. Inagaddadvida didn't make the list. A little too ponderous for me.
    The greatest 11+ minute song in music history didn't make your list? The shame.

And I would also include "Thick as a Brick" to your list.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    By WEBN standards all Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin songs are the greatest ever. I wished they would realize that those songs are over 30 years old and do away with them.
    I'm sorry you feel that way, friend. I'm not a big fan of "early Pink Floyd". Much more so a fan of their later works, such as from Division Bell and Momentary Lapse of Reason.

While my opinions will be greatly contested, I feel the strength of Pink Floyd was David Gilmour. His guitar work and lyric writing was what continued well past Roger Waters leaving. Listen to Waters' solo albums after his departure, and I just don't think the quality is nearly as what is was as when he was performing and writing with Gilmour, Mason, and Wright.
    If you think of me, I hope you think of me well and if you drink to me, don't drink cheap - Ken "Firehose" Akers (1/27/85 - 1/22/11)

Three Days - Jane's Addiction

Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd

Xavier Fight Song (Mack Truck Extended Club Mix) - Xavier Band
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Dire Straits live version of "Tunnel of Love"

Elton John's "Funeral for a Friend"

I don't know if this counts but Joe Jackson did a live medley of motown songs which is great and lasts about 15 minutes.

"Foreplay/Long Time" by Boston is a classic but I don't think it quite gets to 11 minutes.

-Bitches Brew- Miles Davis from Bitches Brew

By far one of the best "songs" ever.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

All of Rush's long songs. 2112. Hemispheres. The Fountain of Lamneth. Necromancer.

Do You Feel Like We Do from Frampton Comes Alive.

Machine Gun from Band of Gypsys (that's how they spelled it).

There are many live performances that are long enough, but I think only those released on CD/tape/album should count. Grateful Dead (and other jam bands) should not count because every song is more than 11 minutes so it's an even-a-blind-squirrell-gets-a-nut phenomenon.
    No, I be concubining.