Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by chico View Post
    Basing funny on Emmys is like basing good music on Grammys or good movies based on the Oscars. Kilborn was the man.
    Haha, true the Oscars lost the little cred it had when it gave Gore an Oscar for his "documentary". How's that hockey stick working for ya Al?:D
    Official XUHoops Resident Legal Scholar.
    (Do not take this seriously)

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    Kilborn sucked.
    If by "suck" you mean "was a misunderstood comic genius" then I would have to agree.

All I know is neither Sports Center nor The Daily Show have been the same since he left. I like Craig Ferguson so I can't say that his show has gotten worse, but the other two...

If by "suck" you mean "was a misunderstood comic genius" then I would have to agree.

All I know is neither Sports Center nor The Daily Show have been the same since he left. I like Craig Ferguson so I can't say that his show has gotten worse, but the other two...
    On Sports Center his snarky one-liners were fine because within 4 seconds you were off to the next topic. On the Late Show his humor was embarrassing. He really had nothing. The highlights were when he brought out pretty women, which he did often. But there was little style or substance to his show. Craig Ferguson blew Kilborn out of the water immediately and he's not even that special.

I agree that the Daily Show has gotten too political recently. He seems to like that niche. Even with that misgiving, I think Stewart is funny.

Yeah, he's such a misunderstood genius he doesn't have a job.
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015

Basing funny on Emmys is like basing good music on Grammys or good movies based on the Oscars. Kilborn was the man.
    Okay, interesting logic.

Can we base it then on ratings which are much higher now? Because if more people are watching the Daily Show with Jon Stewart than before, then I would think it is because it is funnier.

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    On Sports Center his snarky one-liners were fine because within 4 seconds you were off to the next topic. On the Late Show his humor was embarrassing. He really had nothing. The highlights were when he brought out pretty women, which he did often. But there was little style or substance to his show. Craig Ferguson blew Kilborn out of the water immediately and he's not even that special.

Exactly. It's pretty hard to argue that Kilborn carried any of the shows he was on, when he's being replaced by people who aren't that funny and the ratings go up.

Quote Originally Posted by DC Muskie View Post
    Okay, interesting logic.

Can we base it then on ratings which are much higher now? Because if more people are watching the Daily Show with Jon Stewart than before, then I would think it is because it is funnier.
    Just having a little fun on the smack board.

Stewart is funny but he caters to a particular crowd so he'll get them to watch. I remember Kilborn cutting on everyone - didn't matter where you were from or what your beliefs were. And it wasn't just political stuff, either.

Don't forget, Kilborn left his 3 television jobs by choice, not because he was fired or because of sagging ratings. I've always liked him and thought he was hilarious on Sports Center - to me he was the last of the great anchors they had on there. After him most of the guys who anchor are just doing the schtick they learned form him, Patrick and Olberman. It was still original when he was there.

I've always like Jon Stewart as a comedian. I think he goes too far to the left too often for me to watch on a regular basis. You pretty much know what you're going to get with him. for that matter, I don't watch any political-themes shows. Hannity, O'Reilly and that crew are absolute assholes - it all comes down to ratings, though, and the whole lot of them will do what they need to keep people watching.

I do like Kilborn. Living out in DC I still use one of his lines from the Daily Show, when the whole Bill Clinton not having sexual relations with Miss Monica...

You say intern

I say my turn!