Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Firehose View Post
    I try to avoid political commentary and stick to the reporting of objective facts. BBC America for me, thanks.
    So you get all your hard news from one source. Wow, you're so enlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
    Not sure of what point you are trying to make. I'm not a NASCAR fan and I'm smart enought to realize that my opinion is, according to your assertion is in the minority. You think O'Reily is a douche and that opinion by my assertion would noy be in accordance with the mainstream of America. It doesn't make either of our opinions right or wrong but they are what we think.

The fact is that Stewart distorted what O'Reily said and he has a track record of distorting situations to suit his blisteringly leftist stance. Which is why I stopped watching about 5 years ago. You see, the show used to be funny before Stewart began to take himself serioulsy.

That show is weak but its better "on weed". Just ask Stewart.
    I would contend that much of mainstream America is full of idiots on both sides of the spectrum. Walk around Walmart some day and see what I'm talking about. Your point was that O'Reilly gets a lot of viewers and my point is, "So what, he has a lot of idiots watching his show." All of the networks contort their news. NBC, MCNBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, Fox. All of them. I still don't understand how you know a show is currently not any good if you stopped wathcing it 5 YEARS AGO. O'Reily is a douche!:p
    Zip'em Up!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
    I would contend that much of mainstream America is full of idiots on both sides of the spectrum. Walk around Walmart some day and see what I'm talking about. Your point was that O'Reilly gets a lot of viewers and my point is, "So what, he has a lot of idiots watching his show." All of the networks contort their news. NBC, MCNBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, Fox. All of them. I still don't understand how you know a show is currently not any good if you stopped wathcing it 5 YEARS AGO. O'Reily is a douche!:p
    Well, the distortion of O'Reily's point only provided futher proof that Stewart has not changed his one-sided, arrogant commentary (which is why I stopped watching). He has never has come accross to me as intelligent or all that funny. He almost as big of a flunky as that twit Olberman (should've stuck with Sportscenter).

I agree with the previous poster, Kilborn was much better. His movie career was also more impressive (see Old School - Kilborn vs Half Baked - Stewart).

So being a normal (mainstream) American makes you an idiot? Sorry, Cheese I didn't realize that everyone else in the mainstream is an idiot and you're sooooo enlightened.

Once again, when was the last time you watched The Factor (since you seem to have such an enlightened opinion of O'Reily).
    Official XUHoops Resident Legal Scholar.
    (Do not take this seriously)

Well, the distortion of O'Reily's point only provided futher proof that Stewart has not changed his one-sided, arrogant commentary (which is why I stopped watching). He has never has come accross to me as intelligent or all that funny. He almost as big of a flunky as that twit Olberman (should've stuck with Sportscenter).

I agree with the previous poster, Kilborn was much better. His movie career was also more impressive (see Old School - Kilborn vs Half Baked - Stewart).

So being a normal (mainstream) American makes you an idiot? Sorry, Cheese I didn't realize that everyone else in the mainstream is an idiot and you're sooooo enlightened.

Once again, when was the last time you watched The Factor (since you seem to have such an enlightened opinion of O'Reily).
    Actually, I think Stewart is very bright. He does his homework and 90% of the time he read the book of his guest. He seems very capable of holding his own and does it in a very respectable manner, even with O'Reilly. I'm not sure what his acting credits have to do with anything but that's for a different post. And yes, there are a lot of idiots out there. Not EVERYONE but a lot of folks who qualify are mainstream America. I watched the Factor last week as a matter fact and it just reinforced my opinion. Have a good one! I'm onto another adult beverage. You should appreciate that, given your moniker.
    Zip'em Up!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Garvin View Post
    So you get all your hard news from one source. Wow, you're so enlightened.
    Fred, I'm sorry if I came off as sounding pretentious or affected or something. I just feel like all the rancor that goes along with most news channels isn't good for debate and as such isn't good for the political future of America. Liberals blame conservatives and conservatives blame liberals and in the end it seems like nothing is solved, but we "know who's to blame". BBC isn't my only source, but I will say that I prefer them to CNN or Fox. My major problem is that I have a great degree of difficulty trusting the journalistic neutrality of most news sources and I hold the BBC in high regard for their general neutrality. Again, I didn't mean to in some way offend you, but I'm sure that you can understand that it's a difficult position to be in.
    Doomed to watch Xavier games on TV since 2008. Still shirtless, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Firehose View Post
    Fred, I'm sorry if I came off as sounding pretentious or affected or something. I just feel like all the rancor that goes along with most news channels isn't good for debate and as such isn't good for the political future of America. Liberals blame conservatives and conservatives blame liberals and in the end it seems like nothing is solved, but we "know who's to blame". BBC isn't my only source, but I will say that I prefer them to CNN or Fox. My major problem is that I have a great degree of difficulty trusting the journalistic neutrality of most news sources and I hold the BBC in high regard for their general neutrality. Again, I didn't mean to in some way offend you, but I'm sure that you can understand that it's a difficult position to be in.

I love the BBC. They do a much better job than their fellow public news colleagues at NPR of just reporting the facts (NPR prides itself at going beyond the facts and providing analysis...ugghhhh).

But the problem with the BBC is that they don't have enough personnel covering America. Instead, protecting their image as the world leader of news, they would rather have a large contingent covering Uzbekistan and countries like that. Which I guess is good for those seeking world news. But it doesn't really provide a great alternative to US reporting.
    Last edited by GuyFawkes38; 08-28-2009 at 10:32 PM.
    "I am at this moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip."

I don't see how many times O'Reilly (or any of the Fox pundants) have to be uncovered as an ass for viewers to actually see him for what he is...an ass.

There is just too much evidence out there displaying his hypocrisy. You can point to other networks being one-sided all you want, but they are at least trying to present a picture in the most objective manor possible. They usually offer an opportunity for all sides to speak, even if it's not in the same piece. He just wants to argue and make others look bad... and he's not funny doing it. He's pathetic.

And Glen Beck decrying the American health care system as the worst experience he's ever been through at one point, yet only months later saying we have the best health care in the world. Ha! Who pays him to tell these lies.

Never said I took Fox as gospel but thanks for jumping to conclusions. Bill O does however have the one of the if not the highest rated cable shows so he must not be AS big of a douche as some believe. I watch and read many different sources. IMO, Stewart is a loser and has destroyed what was once a funny show.
    Woah dude. TV ratings are a fair barometer of whether or not someone is a douche?!?!?! Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie had a highly rated TV show. Have you ever seen Big Brother, that show is an amazing parade of douchiness. Soap Operas? If anything, history has shown that America loves to watch douchebags on TV.

I am a moderate republican. That being said, I find the daily show hilarious, because I don't get overly riled-up about the commentary. I also find Bill O' Reilly and Rush Limbaugh to be absolute tools who are, IMO, hurting the republican cause.
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post

And Glen Beck decrying the American health care system as the worst experience he's ever been through at one point, yet only months later saying we have the best health care in the world. Ha! Who pays him to tell these lies.
    Glenn Beck is a not a douche, he is a parody of a douche. Douche isn't a strong enough word to describe that idiot. That is another guy who just serves to make the republican party look worse. The things that he says are often so over the top that he loses all credibility. I don't think that universal health care is a good idea, at all, but the republican response is so over the top as to be comical. Foxnews needs to stop putting these idiots on the air (like the death-panel lady, for example), instead Foxnews chooses to provide a forum for completely insane reactionaries to voice their opinions.
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    Woah dude. TV ratings are a fair barometer of whether or not someone is a douche?!?!?! Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie had a highly rated TV show. Have you ever seen Big Brother, that show is an amazing parade of douchiness. Soap Operas? If anything, history has shown that America loves to watch douchebags on TV.

I am a moderate republican. That being said, I find the daily show hilarious, because I don't get overly riled-up about the commentary. I also find Bill O' Reilly and Rush Limbaugh to be absolute tools who are, IMO, hurting the republican cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    Glenn Beck is a not a douche, he is a parody of a douche. Douche isn't a strong enough word to describe that idiot. That is another guy who just serves to make the republican party look worse. The things that he says are often so over the top that he loses all credibility. I don't think that universal health care is a good idea, at all, but the republican response is so over the top as to be comical. Foxnews needs to stop putting these idiots on the air (like the death-panel lady, for example), instead Foxnews chooses to provide a forum for completely insane reactionaries to voice their opinions.
    Bill O'Reilly is not a Republican or a Conservative. He is a populist like Lou Dobbs. He is also an ass.

Rush Limbaugh is a conservative. He is not the same as Bill O'Reilly. He is an arrogant son of a bitch and sometimes he makes an ass out of himself. He also can make some good points and make me laugh. I like him on balance. I don't listen to him all the time.

Glen Beck is more of a libertarian. Glen Beck is crazy as a loon. I also find him quite funny. I don't watch his TV show, but I listen to him on the radio. He is my favorite. He is apocolyptic and 'end of the world' a lot, but then again so am I. Glen Beck is my favorite. I try to catch some of his radio show every day. He may hurt the Republican cause, but he doesn't claim to be for the Republican cause. And just because he is crazy doesn't mean he isn't right.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick