Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Are you Buying into it??

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/wei...on-dayton.html

We'll buy the hype on Dayton
    July 13, 2009
    Dayton just sent out a flyer recommending we pencil the Flyers into our preseason Top 25. We'll buy into that, seeing that Dayton coach Brian Gregory - a former Tom Izzo assistant at Michigan State - has four players - junior forward Chris Wright, sophomore forward Chris Johnson, senior guard London Warren and senior guard Rob Lowery - who earned some sort of Atlantic 10 postseason awards last year from a 27-8 team that advanced to the second round of the NCAA tournament with a victory over West Virginia.

The 6-8 Wright, who we first saw in the Michael Jordon Nike game at the Garden three years ago, has a vertical leap of 41 inches and deserves strong consideration for A-10 Player of the Year. We came away very impressed by Wright's 27-point, 10-rebound performance against Big East power West Virginia in the tournament.

Gregory, by the way, has won 50 games in the past two years.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/wei...xzz0LGhFB2Hh&D
    Balls of Steele!!

I've got no problem with their analysis. If UD is Top 25 they're Top 25. I'm not going to wring my hands in consternation over it. I really only care about what the results are in March.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Once again, let's see it on the court for once, Dayton.

I don't buy it at all. dayton can suck it. I hope and think that when we look back 9 months from now we'll be saying they were the most overrated team in the preseason by far. And some how, some way, we will once again be on of the most underrated. dayton will not pass our program this year fellas. Take that to the bank.

Putting aside all bias (extremely hard to do, admittedly) I honestly think that if UD is at all better than X, it's by the slimmest of slim amounts. Chris Wright is good, sure, but other than the WVU game last year, he hasn't really shown the ability to take over a game, similar to Derrick Brown coming into this past year. Granted, he could turn that around, but he's going to need some help to take down XU.

The other main argument most make for UD when anointing them league favorite, top 25, etc. is the returning senior leaders. Take it for what it's worth, but there's a difference between returning Lavender, Duncan, and Burrell or Raymond, Brown, and Anderson and bringing back London Warren, Rob Lowery (coming off a major injury), and Kurt Huelsman. I'll leave it at that.

We may lose up there (pains me to say this, but I think it will be a close game nonetheless) but rest assured the streak will live on in Cincy and XU will complete the 4-peat.

They have won 50 games over the past 2 years? Wow. Can't believe it with that tough nonconference schedule and blowout wins over hapless opponents!

Quote Originally Posted by SixFig View Post
    They have won 50 games over the past 2 years? Wow. Can't believe it with that tough nonconference schedule and blowout wins over hapless opponents!
    Dont forget playing a heavily injured Pitt team at the Dump and "upsetting" them.
    "The kid tried to jump with me and that was his first mistake."- postgame interview with Jamel McLean after defeating Wisconsin 60-49

Quote Originally Posted by Blueblob4life View Post
    Dont forget playing a heavily injured Pitt team at the Dump and "upsetting" them.
    It was Louisville who was depleted when UD beat them. Pitt was at full strength when they lost to UD, except when Fields (I think) went down in the second half. Still, at that moment, UD was already pretty much in control of the game. They beat a top 5 team by 25 points. That's impressive no matter how you slice it.

In regards to UD in 2009-10...well...UD has always had pretty talented teams, and last year was no exception. It's Brian Gregory who makes me think twice. I really do not think Brian Gregory is a very good coach. Seriously. The man's barely over .500 in his A-10 coaching career.

Plus Xavier is Xavier. We always lose coaches and players, yet somehow always win 25+ games, win the conference and go to the dance. When St. Joe's or Temple or Dayton knocks us off that perch, I'll believe it.
    Last edited by kyxu; 07-14-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SixFig View Post
    Winning against Fordham at the dump by one point is saying something!

I'm happy to see that UC and UD will actually field above average teams this year. That ensures at least 2 and possibly 3 quality wins for the Muskies this year.
    Official XUHoops Resident Legal Scholar.
    (Do not take this seriously)