Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kyxu View Post
    I'm sure if any program actually wanted Bobby Lutz, Niner Nation would be lamenting in full force
    Far from it, but Bobby is a pretty good coach, a guy who's the all time wins leader in 49er history surpassing Jeff Mullins, who resurrected the program in the late 80's and early 90s. He's a guy who's never got in the trouble with the NCAA, never been questioned for malicious recruiting practices (Huggins, Calipari) and a guy with a good reputation throughout the NCAA.

If Bobby ever leaves, we have guys in line that can get the job done, just like Xavier has Pat Kelsey who is probably a better coach in all aspects than Mack right now.

I've always been impressed with Lutz.

Charlotte lies in the most competitive college basketball region without the recruiting base to back it up. Yet, Lutz has put together a good program.
    "I am at this moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip."

Quote Originally Posted by Ninerballin View Post
    Far from it, but Bobby is a pretty good coach, a guy who's the all time wins leader in 49er history surpassing Jeff Mullins, who resurrected the program in the late 80's and early 90s. He's a guy who's never got in the trouble with the NCAA, never been questioned for malicious recruiting practices (Huggins, Calipari) and a guy with a good reputation throughout the NCAA.
    That's really sweet. He sounds a lot like a Xavier coach, only less successful.

But I'm teasing. I have no reason to disrespect or think any ill of Bobby Lutz.

If Bobby ever leaves, we have guys in line that can get the job done, just like Xavier has Pat Kelsey who is probably a better coach in all aspects than Mack right now.
    I'm interested to hear what you base this on.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFawkes38 View Post
    I've always been impressed with Lutz.

Charlotte lies in the most competitive college basketball region without the recruiting base to back it up. Yet, Lutz has put together a good program.

Lutz has done a good job here, could he have done better? Most certainly. The one thing that hurt Lutz and the transition to the A10 was recruiting before and after the transition. First of all we lost our top recruiter and one of the best in the country in Rob Moxley. The guy is responsible for a ton of our success over the years, tied to names like Rodney White (Freshman of the year in 01 and lottery pick), Diego Guevera, Demon Brown, Brendan Plavich, and so on. He left for Maryland and he recruited Grieves Vasquez while there (Maryland's best player).

Rob only spent a year with the terps before coming back, but that year through off about 2 years of recruiting.

You couple that with the Mike Beasley decommit and numerous of other players decommitting (Cameron Tatum, Tennessee; Kenyon Harmon (who knows). And you've got two years in there of low value recruiting where JUCOs and transfers lead the way. It didn't allow us stability and hurt our players who were already here (Withers for instance).

Last year, Injuries killed this team. Gerrity (only backup PG) quit the team at the beginning of the year, our only true shooter besides Andersen (who can't play D very well) was freshman Shamarr Bowden and he went down with a season ending injury before he saw the court. Then our converted SF new backup PG Charles Dewhurst went down with a season ending injury in the Maryland game after having a great 1st half. & SF Anjuan Wilderness was hampered by injuries all year.

Lutz has had a lot of bad breaks lately, but the recruiting has picked up tremendously and we seem set to do damage this year with a bunch of new faces in Shamari Spears (BC), Chris Braswell (top 100), Shamarr Bowden, Derio Green, KJ Sherrill, Gokhan Sirin, & Trevin Parks ( I think that's all). The team will be anchored by returning players Dijuan Harris, Phil Jones, Anjuan Wilderness, Charles Dewhurst, Ian Andersen, and Rashad Coleman.

That's a ton of a talent on that team.

As for Miller,

Miller was by and far the best coach in the A10. I really do believe Pat Kelsey is the best coach on the staff, but that's my opinion. Chris Mack seems like a likable guy, but can he coach?

I doubt the recruiting drops off too far, because of the good crop of assistants that surround Mack, but I'm not convinced on Mack's game coaching.
    Last edited by Ninerballin; 07-05-2009 at 10:07 PM.

Miller was by and far the best coach in the A10. I really do believe Pat Kelsey is the best coach on the staff, but that's my opinion. Chris Mack seems like a likable guy, but can he coach?

I doubt the recruiting drops off too far, because of the good crop of assistants that surround Mack, but I'm not convinced on Mack's game coaching.
    Mack's ability to game coach is a complete unknown. That's kind of why I, and some others, favored a coach with more experience.

But I guess that's all in the past now.
    "I am at this moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip."

Chris Mack has coached as many college games as Pat Kelsey (0), so I'm not sure how you can say one's game coaching is better than the other's.

There's a lot that's unknown, but Mack's the guy Mike Bobinski selected. I trust Bobinski, so I have faith.

Chris Mack has coached as many college games as Pat Kelsey (0), so I'm not sure how you can say one's game coaching is better than the other's.

There's a lot that's unknown, but Mack's the guy Mike Bobinski selected. I trust Bobinski, so I have faith.
    I trust Bobinski. But of course, I would be much less stressed out about the state of X basketball if Mack had 2-3 successful seasons as a head coach somewhere.

Thus far, Mack has made all the right moves in the off season, including twittering.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Lutz has done a good job here, could he have done better? Most certainly. The one thing that hurt Lutz and the transition to the A10 was recruiting before and after the transition. First of all we lost our top recruiter and one of the best in the country in Rob Moxley. The guy is responsible for a ton of our success over the years, tied to names like Rodney White (Freshman of the year in 01 and lottery pick), Diego Guevera, Demon Brown, Brendan Plavich, and so on. He left for Maryland and he recruited Grieves Vasquez while there (Maryland's best player).

Rob only spent a year with the terps before coming back, but that year through off about 2 years of recruiting.

You couple that with the Mike Beasley decommit and numerous of other players decommitting (Cameron Tatum, Tennessee; Kenyon Harmon (who knows). And you've got two years in there of low value recruiting where JUCOs and transfers lead the way. It didn't allow us stability and hurt our players who were already here (Withers for instance).

Last year, Injuries killed this team. Gerrity (only backup PG) quit the team at the beginning of the year, our only true shooter besides Andersen (who can't play D very well) was freshman Shamarr Bowden and he went down with a season ending injury before he saw the court. Then our converted SF new backup PG Charles Dewhurst went down with a season ending injury in the Maryland game after having a great 1st half. & SF Anjuan Wilderness was hampered by injuries all year.

Lutz has had a lot of bad breaks lately, but the recruiting has picked up tremendously and we seem set to do damage this year with a bunch of new faces in Shamari Spears (BC), Chris Braswell (top 100), Shamarr Bowden, Derio Green, KJ Sherrill, Gokhan Sirin, & Trevin Parks ( I think that's all). The team will be anchored by returning players Dijuan Harris, Phil Jones, Anjuan Wilderness, Charles Dewhurst, Ian Andersen, and Rashad Coleman.

That's a ton of a talent on that team.

As for Miller,

This might be the longest post that nobody cares about ever written on this board.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

That's really sweet. He sounds a lot like a Xavier coach, only less successful.

But I'm teasing. I have no reason to disrespect or think any ill of Bobby Lutz.

I'm interested to hear what you base this on.
    I've talked to a few Wake fans, some big paying alums who don't miss basketball games and they thought Kelsey was as good if not better than Gaudio. Don't get me wrong, he probably still needs to learn more, but some of those same people said he's one of the best recruiters as far as top level talent goes that Wake has seen.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    This might be the longest post that nobody cares about ever written on this board.
    If you don't care about it, why the hell did you feel compelled to replying? A bit of a contradiction eh? Also, unless someone appointed you God, I don't think you can speak for others on the board.

Edited. Learn manners on a board moderated by another fanbase Niner. This crap don't fly here.
    Last edited by PM Thor; 07-07-2009 at 03:18 AM.