Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Library funding

Library funding

I just found out today that our governor is considering cutting funding to our libraries. If he succeeds, 50% of our area libraries will close. Please go to http://www.cincinnatilibrary.org/fea...gislators.html and let our representatives know that this is just wrong.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    I dont know anything about the proposal or anything about the actual of numbers of libraries we actually have in the Cincinnati area but I'm not positive its that bad of a thing. I dont know one person who would say they go to a public library even occasionally. With the internet and other resources I think they may be becoming less needed. I would obviously need to look more into it and why it was being done and such. However, maybe I dont know what I'm talking about.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I dont know anything about the proposal or anything about the actual of numbers of libraries we actually have in the Cincinnati area but I'm not positive its that bad of a thing. I dont know one person who would say they go to a public library even occasionally. With the internet and other resources I think they may be becoming less needed. I would obviously need to look more into it and why it was being done and such. However, maybe I dont know what I'm talking about.
    You're a bit out of touch then. Libraries are a tremendous resource, and they are frequently quite crowded.

I realize you have a computer and internet access, but there is a significant portion of the population that does not, and the library provides that.

The downtown library is an amazing place, and the branch libraries are important to neighborhoods. I proudly support the library.
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

"The Library?"

"That's where homeless people go to shave and go BM"
    Eat Donuts!

When I went to Phoenix for the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 last year we partied at ASU one Saturday night at a bar called The Library. Man would I hate to hear that that place closed down.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    well the library around here is always packed and busy - if you like to read, the library is the way to go.

Please take the time to do this. Libraries are one of those resources that you don't know what you're missing until they aren't there anymore. I don't think many will be able to maintain themselves if funding is cut more.

My old home town had their branch closed and it was such a blow for the community. No more great story readings for the younger ones. No more places for teens to gather research for papers (that in itself is a learning experience). No more spots for adults to have an easy space for community discussions on lecture topics, politics, etc.

We still go to the downtown Cincinnati branch, but that isn't always as easy as just going in town. They do, however, have a great music/video collection, not to mention some cool exhibitions on display.

Yes, you can do a lot on the internet, but it's not everything and the experience is very different. And not everyone has the money/resources to be on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by PMI View Post
    When I went to Phoenix for the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 last year we partied at ASU one Saturday night at a bar called The Library. Man would I hate to hear that that place closed down.
    That place was AWESOME.

The Cinti library system is top notch. That said, there are probably too many branches. And the stock selection at some branches leaves me scratching my head. For example, at my branch in Pleasant Ridge, the movie selection is terrible. With circulation numbers driving funding, and DVDs being critical to circulation numbers, you'd expect to see more popular films and fewer indie and foreign films at a small branch.

I love the library but I sometimes wonder why it isn't run a bit more like a business and less like, well, a library.

Quote Originally Posted by xeus View Post
    The Cinti library system is top notch. That said, there are probably too many branches. And the stock selection at some branches leaves me scratching my head. For example, at my branch in Pleasant Ridge, the movie selection is terrible. With circulation numbers driving funding, and DVDs being critical to circulation numbers, you'd expect to see more popular films and fewer indie and foreign films at a small branch.

I love the library but I sometimes wonder why it isn't run a bit more like a business and less like, well, a library.
    Sorry you feel this way. I didn't know the value was so swayed to movies. That said, I like the indie and foreign films because the major motion pictures are so prevalent everywhere else. Did you know you can request any movie in their system be sent to your branch?

I don't think there are too many branches. Hamilton County has a lot of people to serve and many communities don't have a branch. There are about 15 branches in Hamilton Co. Most other Ohio counties have fewer branches and services. Let's not lose more, please.