Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: spearman

Quote Originally Posted by Xman95 View Post
    For the love of all that is good and pure, what on earth would suddenly make kids start going there? The town is a shit hole, the team hasn't been very good for years, the coach hasn't been too good...nothing has changed (at least for the better) in a long time. Suddenly top recruits think it's a great place to go. At what point does UD get nailed for paying off recruits?
    They think after last year, after literally squeeking by 6-7 powerhouse teams like Wofford, Akron, George Mason, SLU, Fordham, GW, for a W, that they are the throne of the A10 and a perennial NCAA team....If they lose 1 of those games, including the one where GW had the game won but put too many players on the court for a technical, then they are out on NCAA selection sunday..

Staten and the rest will be good for them in 2010, that will be the year where expectations should rise. but next year I could see a big letdown..Especially when they have the bullseye on their back...
    Live Action

This is a good pickup for dayton. Staten, Berry, and Spearman is a very nice freshman backcourt.

We hadn't offered, but I don't think it was due to a lack of his talent. We have other priorities to focus on - small fowards and power forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by XU99deuce View Post
    This is a good pickup for dayton. Staten, Berry, and Spearman is a very nice freshman backcourt.

We hadn't offered, but I don't think it was due to a lack of his talent. We have other priorities to focus on - small fowards and power forwards.
    The key to that is getting a guy like Staten to commit. When you get a point guard who is that good, but also plays on the best team in the nation who everyone knows.... It gives you some credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by therick44 View Post
    The key to that is getting a guy like Staten to commit. When you get a point guard who is that good, but also plays on the best team in the nation who everyone knows.... It gives you some credibility.
    You know your stuff so I was wondering:

Seems that there are mixed reports on whether or not Spearman held a legitimate XU offer (not saying he wasn't talented enough to deserve one, just not a good fit), I'm just curious as to what you've heard?

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    You know your stuff so I was wondering:

Seems that there are mixed reports on whether or not Spearman held a legitimate XU offer (not saying he wasn't talented enough to deserve one, just not a good fit), I'm just curious as to what you've heard?
    No, as far as I know Spearman never held a scholarship offer from X. He was most certainly on their radar though.

The kid can flat out score.

I just read that Dayton is one of only three teams in the nation (along with UNC and Tenn.) to have commits from a top 100 PG and top 100 SG in 2010.

The scary thing is Jesse Berry could make his way into the top 100 as well.

Staten may be good. Very good. But when he comes around as a freshman in 2010-2011, Holloway will be a junior, and Lyons a third year soph. Good luck plying your trade against those two. And when finally Holloway then Lyons leave, Dee Davis will be a sophomore.

That my friends is the best thing about Xavier basketball, continuality. There is very little drop off from one year to the next. So while Staten may be top notch, he'll face veterans above him and then a future NBAer to match him (Davis).

Quote Originally Posted by SixFig View Post
    Staten may be good. Very good. But when he comes around as a freshman in 2010-2011, Holloway will be a junior, and Lyons a third year soph. Good luck plying your trade against those two. And when finally Holloway then Lyons leave, Dee Davis will be a sophomore.

That my friends is the best thing about Xavier basketball, continuality. There is very little drop off from one year to the next. So while Staten may be top notch, he'll face veterans above him and then a future NBAer to match him (Davis).
    Lol damn... We are so good we get our own words. CONTINUALITY... Solid.

No, as far as I know Spearman never held a scholarship offer from X. He was most certainly on their radar though.

The kid can flat out score.
    Yeah, Xavier would have offered if they were looking for a shooting guard in 2010. As it stands, Xavier currently has about 80 shooting guards on its roster. Spearman is really good, but not what Xavier needed in this particular recruiting class.

Quote Originally Posted by SixFig View Post

I really like our backcourt for the next several years, but Staten is very very good and will likely be able to hold his own as a true freshman. He's very athletic and very quick. What's really going to be interesting is the match-up down the road between Staten and Dee Davis. It will be a sight.

Quote Originally Posted by kyxu View Post
    Yeah, Xavier would have offered if they were looking for a shooting guard in 2010. As it stands, Xavier currently has about 80 shooting guards on its roster. Spearman is really good, but not what Xavier needed in this particular recruiting class.

I really like our backcourt for the next several years, but Staten is very very good and will likely be able to hold his own as a true freshman. He's very athletic and very quick. What's really going to be interesting is the match-up down the road between Staten and Dee Davis. It will be a sight.
    Oh ya!!! I can't wait!! and we will land two of the following hopefully for 2010: Weatherspoon, Martin, McKenzie, Jones..and for 2011 were in the mix for Davis, Etherington, and some other great potential recruits. The future looks bright for X!!I'm glad UD is improving. St Joe's has some great talent coming in. UNC Charlotte is doing ok. Lasalle has a great center coming in... UMass will improve. Dont know about SLU or URI. But hopefully the other teams are following our lead. The future looks bright for X!!
    Live Action