Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Jakarr Sampson

Quote Originally Posted by More Cowbell View Post
    If Kelsey can pick him up, Xavier will have 3 ESPN/Rivals top 100 players for 2011.
    And it would probably mean that D.Wells would wind up as a SG, a position that his height seems more suited to.

Would absolutely love to get a commit from Sampson.

Sophomore
    This is great news! How sweet would it be to grab another top 100 player (and possibly rising) to round out this class!

I have only been an avid recruiting follower for a couple years, but this would have to be one of, if not THE best recruiting class X has ever pulled in right?

To top it off, we would be grabbing the kid out from under Dayton AND UC, especially since there were rumors in UC circles that Jakarr was on the verge of committing at the end of last offseason!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD86 View Post
    To top it off, we would be grabbing the kid out from under Dayton AND UC
    I don't get worked up anymore about players choosing X over Dayton. I just expect it now. Sure, they'll get the occasional guy like Staten. They can get excited about taking one from us. But it's OK. We have several top options these days. If we miss on one then there's another waiting. At UD, if they missed on a guy like Staten, it's not like they had another great PG waiting in the wings.

As for UC, it's nice to edge them out on recruits because they're still in on quite a few talented players. (Problem they have is that Cronin couldn't coach his way out of a minnow net if you gave him Phil Jackson, John Wooden, and a pair of scissors.)

It's good to be "in the lead" for Sampson (a player the coaching staff has made a big priority), but I think this is the type of player whose recruitment is far from over.

But promising news, nonetheless.
    Last edited by kyxu; 04-12-2010 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    I've heard UC is still in the mix too...
    Live Action

Don't let Doug Harris fool you. I would be shocked if he is not a Xavier guy by july.

Sophomore

Question

I guess I should be happy to see us contending for Jakar Sampson, but I am a little disapointed that we are not reading about XU getting a 6'9" or taller big man. When I look at the elite teams, they have several guys on their roster 6'10" or higher. Duke had a 7'1" center plus two or three 6'11" guys to back him up. I know we are not Duke, but Kenny will be graduating in two years and we need a big to replace him.
    What say you?

Junior
    We've done fine so far, never having a major contributor over 6'9".

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyy View Post
    We've done fine so far, never having a major contributor over 6'9".
    Exactly, look at the prominent big men of the past eight years

West
    Myles
    Duncan
    Love
    Doellman
    Brown
    Cole

none of them were a shade shy of 7 feet, but they were quality players. In college, it is rare to have that many guys with size, and X has been very successful without those guys.