Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Jakarr Sampson

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by therick44 View Post
    No inside info on this kid really... I've only seen him once. He plays with one of the King James teams.

I can't really give a fair evaluation of the kid, but in the limited time seeing him play it looks like he has a lot of upside. He needs to put on some serious muscle, though he probably should play the 3 in college. He's listed as 6'8" ...in my notes I estimated him at 6'7"-6'8" so that's probably pretty accurate. What stood out to me was that he's a pretty strong ballhandler for his size and age. If he can continue to expand his range on his jumpshot (which I've heard seems to improve constantly)then he could be a very talented scorer. Right now he looked like he was mostly a slasher. The one thing I liked is he reminded me of some guys we've had in the past such as Derrick Brown who wasn't really a post player but with length and athletic ability (+ the great strength program at X) can defend the post pretty darn well in addition to guarding guys out to the perimeter.
    You sure those are "YOUR notes"? ;)

April, 2009: Jakarr is a super long combo forward. He is continuing to increase his skill level and his comfortability away from the basket. He will probably be a 3 at the next level. Offensively he is a solid ball handler for his position and a great handler for his size and youth. He is a good slasher to the basket and is a decent shooter to 15 feet (though his range seems to increase weekly). Sampson is a decent rebounder but he definitely needs to get stronger in order to improve in this category. His length and athletic ability make him a solid defender in the post. He is surprisingly effective in space. He moves his feet pretty well for his size. As Jakarr continues to develop and improve, his stock will continue to rise. He could become an elite prospect in the 2011 class.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recru...6season%3d2011

This from the Miami board:

"2011 combo forward Jakarr Sampson's recruiting is "blowing up" according to Don Anderson who coaches the Akron SVSM stand out with the King James Shooting Stars 16U hoop team. "

Sampson is hearing from a lot of Big East schools including his favorite at this point Cincinnati.

"UC's playing style fit him as he will be playing the three in college," Anderson noted.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post

"2011 combo forward Jakarr Sampson's recruiting is "blowing up" according to Don Anderson who coaches the Akron SVSM stand out with the King James Shooting Stars 16U hoop team. "

Sampson is hearing from a lot of Big East schools including his favorite at this point Cincinnati.

"UC's playing style fit him as he will be playing the three in college," Anderson noted.
    Gay.

(extras)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post

This was taken from the JJ huddle piece done on Aug 14th. See link: http://www.jjhuddle.com/news/article...ansfer-updates
    Xavier Basketball "Unfinished Business" - Chris Mack

From what I'm told Mich St and UC lead for Sampson. There is a connection to Akron SVSM to UC's Cronin/LeBron James and a mutual friend off the court. How that affects Sampson is not clear but it opened doors for UC.

Walk-On
    Quote Originally Posted by machine7 View Post
    From what I'm told Mich St and UC lead for Sampson. There is a connection to Akron SVSM to UC's Cronin/LeBron James and a mutual friend off the court. How that affects Sampson is not clear but it opened doors for UC.
    George Jackson also helps UC out alot in this recruiting situation. UC has a good shot at Sampson but I think his recruitment will go on for a while(I was told if he commits this early expect it to be with UC). He is expected to really explode this season and will be on all radars.

Mack must have been watching Sampson earlier this week. Wednesday he posted this on Twitter:

Sitting at a HS game recruiting. LeBron 5 feet from me. May try to kidnap him, put him on r charter and throw an X uni on him in AC.

Well, The Akron Beacon Journal reported that LeBron was at Wednesday's SVSM game. Seems Sampson would be the one Mack was most likely watching.

Xavier in the Lead

Jakarr Sampson says Xavier leads Cincinnati, Dayton, Kentucky, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Tennessee.
    http://georgiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1073478
    - Bob Sacamano

If Kelsey can pick him up, Xavier will have 3 ESPN/Rivals top 100 players for 2011.
    Last edited by More Cowbell; 04-12-2010 at 08:35 AM.
    - Bob Sacamano

Tweet from BSnow last night:

Jakarr Sampson seemingly can get to the rim whenever so motivated