Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    Do we really want 2 athletic wings that can't shoot though? Is spoon still in the picture if Jones wants to come to X?
    Spoon is a 4. Speculation is that we have 2 more 2010 spots to give...Mckenzie or Weatherspoon and either Jones or Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by xsteve1 View Post
    Spoon is a 4. Speculation is that we have 2 more 2010 spots to give...Mckenzie or Weatherspoon and either Jones or Martin.
    Forgot that Spoon was a 4. That makes more sense then.
    Eat Donuts!

Do we really want 2 athletic wings that can't shoot though? Is spoon still in the picture if Jones wants to come to X?
    X can always use more "athletes" on the team so it's worth a shot. I would think at least one of the two would grow comfortable with their shot as they get better teaching from Mac and Co.

I agree to a point, I just get a little concerned that if you recruit too many 'raw' athletic types you could end up with a bunch of London Warrens running around really fast and jumping high but throwing up bricks all the time.
    Eat Donuts!

I agree to a point, I just get a little concerned that if you recruit too many 'raw' athletic types you could end up with a bunch of London Warrens running around really fast and jumping high but throwing up bricks all the time.
    Agreed. That is the scary part.

I don't think there's a problem with a Spoon/Latham/Canty class. All three are athletic, but they are very different types of players.

Also it's not like the 2010 class is on the court by themselves. Crawford, Redford, and Walsh are all very good shooters. Holloway, Lyons, Robinson and Freese could develop as outside threats by the time the 2010 class hits the court. Xavier would just have to empasize recruiting highly skilled players in 2011. At PG, Dee Davis already fits that mold.

The advantage to a Spoon/Latham/Canty class is versatility. Each player can play 2 positions on defense right away. This will give the coaches a lot more flexibility with the remaining 2011 scholarships, so they can focus on taking the best players available.

MuskieCinci,

I hope we go for 4 players in '10 as well. I don't know how it will work out numbers wise (I guess one person will probably transfer or JC having a great year/going pro or something), but to have any two of martin/jones/weatherspoon/McKenzie would be real nice.
    Live Action

Just wondering....how is it you avg 20 pts. a game as a HS Jr. and can't shoot? Canty might avg 25-28 as a Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by MuskieCinci View Post
    From ESPN's description of him:

May, 2009: Canty is a very productive wing player on both ends of the floor. Although his perimeter jumper needs attention he simply makes plays to help his team win. Canty is a good athlete that is athletic. He can finish plays above the rim in transition or with a clear path five on five in the half court. He slashes to the basket with speed and quickness and he has a nice mid range pull up jumper to about 15 feet. He can score through contact and does a great job of drawing fouls with his ability to hang in the air. Canty competes for rebounds and is also a good shot blocker for a perimeter player. He will come to the rescue from the weak side and can also use his good timing on the ball. He ball handling needs to continue to be honed but this high energy stat sheet stuffer is the glue to his team and one to watch this summer season.

He is an athletic athlete apparently, so he's got that going for him.
    Reps to you for making me laugh. Congrats to Canty and the coaching staff. Canty made a solid choice.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

Jay Canty is a very solid pickup. My understanding is he is deciding on where to attend high school or prep for his final year. I too saw him play in AAU nationals televised on ESPNU. From what I saw of his jumpshot it looked to be fine in form. I am not going to get hung up on that alone though because he sure brings alot to the table.

I would say Weatherspoon is still an option at this point. IF McKenzie had signed with X then 'Spoon's ship MAY have sailed. I would love to add J-Mart and McKenzie to this class. Jamail Jones (to me) seems like Ari Stewart part 2. A great player who we will be involved with up until he makes his pledge.