Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MuskieCinci View Post
    He is an athletic athlete apparently, so he's got that going for him.

Nice that an athlete is athletic. I guess if you have a non-athletic athlete you get:

I would agree that this commitment closes the 'Spoon door. He was probably giving out vibes that he was going with Sullinger to Beaknose's camp anyway.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xsteve1 View Post
    More on Canty. Hope we can still get Martin or Jones as well..

http://highmajorscoop.com/2009/08/canty-to-x/
    I want Jones

Quote Originally Posted by xu15 View Post
    I want Jones
    I agree 100%...Jones is at the top of my list.

I think we still can fill 2 more spots with the combo being one of the following:

- Jones/Martin & McKenzie

I think that Jones or Martin will make a decision in the next 3 weeks. Both are shooters and we need to fill that void with Canty on board. McKenzie's decision will take longer since he is slated to visit Vandy on Sept 5th. A McKenzie commitment will help add depth to the 4 spot but his versatility to shoot it from the perimeter would allow for the inside to open up for Frease/Latham

I concur that Weatherspoon is now on the outside looking in. Eventhough JD is a freak athlete, his shot & ball skills need work. I think that landing Canty he can help fill the SF spot in a role like Justin Cage did. Lock down defender that has a knack to find the ball on the rebound.

I'm VERY happy with the Canty committment. Welcome to Xavier Jay!
    Xavier Basketball "Unfinished Business" - Chris Mack

Quote Originally Posted by Murph85 View Post
    This would almost certainly shuts the door on Weatherspoon.
    I think 'spoon screwed up big time. It would seem he's out of the plans for X and maybe the door is shutting at OSU as well. Instead of being at a big program in his home state, he might have to play at a smaller Ohio program or go out of state to land a bigger school. Actually, I think he would be wise to look at a rising program like Akron where his athletic ability would work well. (Of course he could still wind up at OSU, but he better not wait too long.)

Agree. Jones would seal the deal. We are recruiting some great atheletes....very pleased!!

Quote Originally Posted by Xman95 View Post
    I think 'spoon screwed up big time. It would seem he's out of the plans for X and maybe the door is shutting at OSU as well. Instead of being at a big program in his home state, he might have to play at a smaller Ohio program or go out of state to land a bigger school. Actually, I think he would be wise to look at a rising program like Akron where his athletic ability would work well. (Of course he could still wind up at OSU, but he better not wait too long.)
    Spoon is still very much in the picture.
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015

Do we really want 2 athletic wings that can't shoot though? Is spoon still in the picture if Jones wants to come to X?
    Eat Donuts!

The decision of whether or not we take Spoon I think depends on how many players the staff wants in 2010. If the staff is just going to settle on 3 then we need someone who can shoot the ball for that third spot and I would like to get another big guy with versatility like McKenzie. If the staff is willing to go with 4 then I think they will go with another wing besides Canty and then a big. Spoon will be more of an undersized power forward who over time will develop into more of a small forward. What I think from reading up on the players the staff is recruiting and who they are pursuing the most I think it is Griffin/Spoon for one of the scholarships and Jones/Martin for the other.

Personally I would still LOVE to get Spoon. A lot of people are jumping off the Air Spoon bandwagon but I don't know what has led to the change. He is an elite level athlete with tons of potential. Now maybe he doesn't quite reach that potential but I have a lot of faith in our staff and it seems like all of our guys are up and comers out to prove themselves. JD has athleticism that not many people have. Imagine these 5 on the court at once in a couple of years, Cheeks, Canty, Spoon, Latham, Mr. Freeze. That line up will be absolutely nasty on defense and will get almost every rebound.

Quote Originally Posted by MuskieCinci View Post
    Personally I would still LOVE to get Spoon. A lot of people are jumping off the Air Spoon bandwagon but I don't know what has led to the change.
    I think it has to do with his de-commitment.