Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tiger

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    I get it, but I do not think it is at the top of his things to do for the year, like some of these retired superstar golfers. It is not on the same magnitude, that's all. It's something that is not generally done until retirement from the Tour. Compare what Jack did this past week to what Tiger does for his event. I know it's not all PR with Tiger because it means something to him, but it is not on the same level.
    Actually, you might be surprised. It is definitely near the top of his list of things to do for the year, and is certainly right up there with everything not called winning majors. He makes a handful of trips to Congressional throughout the year (at least 4 or 5) to work on it. Make no mistake, this is not just something with Tiger Woods' name on it. He takes his hosting duties very seriously, even during the week while he's playing. It's actually very strange to see because normally he's 100& focused on playing and practicing but during the AT&T he has to balance that with his public and private appearances (which are quite entertaining and make the tournament worth while by themselves.) It's not necessarily just that it means something to him, which it obviously does, but it's also a lot of work and time on his part. Honestly, the only major difference between what Tiger does in comparison to Jack and Arnie is that he has a chance to win the thing too.

Quote Originally Posted by PMI View Post
    Honestly, the only major difference between what Tiger does in comparison to Jack and Arnie is that he has a chance to win the thing too.
    That may be so, but I do know this: 1) Tiger didn't design his host course. 2) Jack's is not named "The AT&T Memorial" or "The Verizon Wireless Memorial". Not that it's a bad thing, but an event named for a sponsor has a different feeling IMO. 3) Tiger is moving his event from The Congressional to Philly next year.

Tiger probably does more than I thought, but there are clearly different ways to host a tournament and the prestige that comes with that hosting doesn't happen until a tradition is created.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    That may be so, but I do know this: 1) Tiger didn't design his host course. 2) Jack's is not named "The AT&T Memorial" or "The Verizon Wireless Memorial". Not that it's a bad thing, but an event named for a sponsor has a different feeling IMO. 3) Tiger is moving his event from The Congressional to Philly next year.

Tiger probably does more than I thought, but there are clearly different ways to host a tournament and the prestige that comes with that hosting doesn't happen until a tradition is created.
    The move to Philly is planned on being temporary because of the US Open at Congressional in 2011 and another tourney in '10 (I think the US Am maybe?) He still intends on keeping it in DC and at Congressional after that if the members allow. I was at the meeting. Also, the official name of the tournament is "The AT&T National Hosted by Tiger Woods." Maybe that has a different feel to you, but I don't think one of the 4 major bowl games got any less prestigious after it became the "Tostitos Fiesta Bowl." I probably should have mentioned the full name before. And no, Tiger did not design the course, although he did have more than just a say in how the new greens and some other parts of the renovations look.

I won't argue about the tournament's "prestige." Frankly, in golf you could argue all day about which tournaments are more prestigious than which. My point was, Woods already hosts a tournament at a major golf course and he already has a cause for it. Perhaps someday he will design a course and move it there, and maybe the name of it will change but I doubt he'll take on more than one hosting duty in the PGA season, as he'll probably be playing until he's very old.
    Last edited by PMI; 06-10-2009 at 01:03 PM.