Thread: Cameron Wright

Cameron Wright

High School: Benedictine- Cleveland
    Graduate Year: 2010
    Height: 6:5
    Weight: 195
    Position: SG
    AAU Team: Lebron James Shooting Stars

This is a kid that was being recruited by Beaknose, that is until JD Weatherspoon got on Toucan's radar. I've seen him play. His defense needs severe work. His out shooting is streaky but he can slash to the rim and finish- sort of like udump's Marques Johnson when he was at Akron St. V.

He now has Xavier in the mix along with Wisconsin (offer), Akron (offer), Cleveland State (offer), and Ohio U (offer). Others that are interested in him now include the dump, Indiana, Notre Dame, South Florida and Miami (Fl). ESPN's scout analysis says this:

May, 2009: Wright is an athletic wing with good size and decent strength. He attacks the rim in transition and can finish through contact when he makes up his mind he is going to take on the help defenders. In the half court Wright can slash from the wing in between defenders or power drive when being defended by a smaller perimeter player. He is an average shooter at best and also needs to hone his scoring moves off the dribble to beat a defender one on one. Wright is a decent ball handler, passer and a factor on the offense glass when motivated. He played with urgency and competed on both ends which lead to a few garbage baskets.

He has stated that he will take many visits this summer, will announce his top 5 in August and will decide in November.

Summary, the kid needs work on his game and is no JD Weatherspoon, but has upside potential if he commits to improve.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

MOR,

As an alum of both schools, I'd love to see Wright stay in blue and white at XU as he appears to be the real deal. Plus, it'd be great to see him stick it to Judas Matta... Any idea on his/XU's level of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by Norwood Cafe View Post
    MOR,

As an alum of both schools, I'd love to see Wright stay in blue and white at XU as he appears to be the real deal. Plus, it'd be great to see him stick it to Judas Matta... Any idea on his/XU's level of interest?
    That's the opposite of what I've heard.

Xavier has not offered Wright a scholarship.

Quote Originally Posted by kyxu View Post
    That's the opposite of what I've heard.

Xavier has not offered Wright a scholarship.

No, but Xavier has inquired as to whether he was interested in X. He is.

As to the "real deal", see my opening post. He has some work to do both on shooting consistency and defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    High School: Benedictine- Cleveland
    Graduate Year: 2010
    Height: 6:5
    Weight: 195
    Position: SG
    AAU Team: Lebron James Shooting Stars

This is a kid that was being recruited by Beaknose, that is until JD Weatherspoon got on Toucan's radar. I've seen him play. His defense needs severe work. His out shooting is streaky but he can slash to the rim and finish- sort of like udump's Marques Johnson when he was at Akron St. V.

He now has Xavier in the mix along with Wisconsin (offer), Akron (offer), Cleveland State (offer), and Ohio U (offer). Others that are interested in him now include the dump, Indiana, Notre Dame, South Florida and Miami (Fl). ESPN's scout analysis says this:

May, 2009: Wright is an athletic wing with good size and decent strength. He attacks the rim in transition and can finish through contact when he makes up his mind he is going to take on the help defenders. In the half court Wright can slash from the wing in between defenders or power drive when being defended by a smaller perimeter player. He is an average shooter at best and also needs to hone his scoring moves off the dribble to beat a defender one on one. Wright is a decent ball handler, passer and a factor on the offense glass when motivated. He played with urgency and competed on both ends which lead to a few garbage baskets.

He has stated that he will take many visits this summer, will announce his top 5 in August and will decide in November.

Summary, the kid needs work on his game and is no JD Weatherspoon, but has upside potential if he commits to improve.
    actually the evaluation you have in BLUE was "originally" the post from April's eval. for some reason when they updated it they switched the month. So the REAL MAY EVALV IS THIS....

OH AND HAPPY TO BE APART OF THE POSTING FAMILY!!!

April"WHICH SHOUL READ MAY", 2009: Cameron is an athletic wing. He is a streaky shooter from outside with range to 20 feet. He is a good slasher who is very effective going left. He is athletic enough to finish with dunks once he gets to the rim. Offensively he scores mostly off long jumpers or drives to the basket. His "in between" game is under developed. He needs to be more assertive. He has a tendency to disappear at times in games which has hurt his ranking. No one has ever doubted his talent, it has been his effort that has been questioned. He can be a good rebounder for his position with his athletic ability being a great asset. Defensively he should be a lockdown defender with his length, size and athletic ability. He is decent but must move his feet better on that end of the court.

Wright really plays more of a combo guard position for LBJ than anything. Ricky Johnson runs the point alot for the team when he is in, but when he goes out Wright slid over a lot and played the point. Cameron is a kid who plays extremely hard, and he has definitely improved his defense and I agree that he has all the ability to be a lockdown defender. When he is on from the outside he is a scoring machine, but even when he isn't he does a good job of getting to the basket and creating shots for himself and his team. He does need to realize at times though when to be more aggressive and at other times when to let the game come to him a little more instead of forcing things.

This was in the DDN last week.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...om_highly.html

Any time we are in a recruiting battle with UD, I don't like it (not our chances, but the fact that we are competing with them). God, I hate them. Nice rip on OSU, by the way.
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Pimp

Quote Originally Posted by pimpinthebox View Post
    This was in the DDN last week.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...om_highly.html

Any time we are in a recruiting battle with UD, I don't like it (not our chances, but the fact that we are competing with them). God, I hate them. Nice rip on OSU, by the way.
    It's not really a battle. We aren't really aggressively pursuing Wright. We have bigger fish to fry. Note my comments above. There are some holes in Mr. Wright's game -especially defensively. I'll lose no sleep if he goes down to the dump.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    It's not really a battle. We aren't really aggressively pursuing Wright. We have bigger fish to fry. Note my comments above. There are some holes in Mr. Wright's game -especially defensively. I'll lose no sleep if he goes down to the dump.
    Are you saying that about Juwan Staten as well? Because I'm thinking their guards are going to be stacked if they continue to recruit like this.

Xavier has not offered Cameron Wright, because the staff does not feel he is good enough for a 2010 scholarship...dayton recruits lesser players for the most part...The only two that X would have taken is Chris Wright and Juwan Staten, although we are not really looking for a PG in the 2010 class...Brandon Spearman on the other hand is someone who X would take, although they have not offered him yet...I think that may happen when Spearman visits X, probably later in June.