View Full Version : Jarrid Famous

MADXSTER
03-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Center
Valhalla (NY)

Ht: 6-foot-11
Wt: 240 lbs
Class: 2009 (Junior College)

Surprised this Famous hadn't been posted. He's been in the mix for quite awhile, although kinda on the back burner I guess.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/03/14/famous-to-visit-south-florida/

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/03/07/famous-to-visit-xavier-cousins-at-memphis/

Famous is a 6-foot-11 center from Westchester Community College who is leading the NJCAA in rebounding at 14 per game and ranks No. 5 in scoring at 24 points per game.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/02/12/pitt-trying-to-get-famous/

Cincy Muskie
03-23-2009, 07:48 PM
This guy originally signed with Hartford out of high school. He seems to have developed quite a bit over those two years judging by schools interested currently. Obviously another talented option. Anybody have any general information about his game? He doesn't exactly look 240 off his photo from Zagoria's blog.

My limited and uninformed belief is that Kyryl would be preferred. I know we are also still looking at Bryant possibly. Any other big men out there on the horizon for 2009? We could also use that ship for a talented D1 transfer as is commonplace these days for many programs. Appreciate the updates madxster.

xufan02
03-23-2009, 08:24 PM
It will be Kyryl or nobody, unless there is a coaching change and a big time transfer becomes available.

Xman95
03-25-2009, 12:53 PM
I got a kick out of the fact that, in an article dated March 7th, he said X was his next stop because he promised them a visit.

Then, in a March 14th article, this was written:

He also plans to visit Xavier

“I don’t know what’s going on with that yet. They haven’t gotten in contact with me yet,” said Famous, the Mid-Hudson Conference and Region XV Player of the Year.

So, has X really been talking to him or is this just a kid hoping to add another quality program to the list?

Juice
04-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Update on Famous:

arrid Famous, the 6-foot-11 center out of Westchester (N.Y.) Community College, visited South Florida this past weekend and is on the brink of cutting down his list.

He said he plans to visit Xavier the weekend of April 10 and could decide after that.

“I think after that I might just make my decision,” Famous said Wednesday by phone.

He has taken official visits to Seton Hall, Missouri and South Florida and unofficials to UConn, St. John’s and Villanova. All of those schools, along with Xavier, are in the mix, he said.

As for the South Florida visit, Famous enjoyed it.

“The South Florida trip was good,” said Famous, the Mid-Hudson Conference and Region XV Player of the Year. “I had a good time out there. Beautiful weather. I really enjoyed myself out there. They showed me a good time. I met the coach, the players, the academic adviser.”

He said he plans no other officials after the Xavier trip.

“Not as of right now,” he said.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/04/01/jarrid-famous-narrowing-list/#more-14319

wkrq59
04-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Could this be another Syd Vicious or whatever that pitcher was named???? It is after all April 1.:D

dfcapp
04-06-2009, 10:29 AM
According to the Missouri Rivals site, Famous visits XU on 4/10 and then has a press conference scheduled for 4/15.

From what I read, it appears that it would likely be between XU, Mizzou, and Seton Hall.

Espe
04-06-2009, 05:11 PM
I would put a million dollars on him not coming to Xavier.

Muskie
04-09-2009, 08:40 AM
He's taken X off the list and added Arizona.

Xman95
04-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Arizona would actually be a good place for this kid. They'll have zero talent if their PG goes pro, so he could step in and be one of the main guns for two years.

sweet16
04-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Looks like Famous has committed to S. Florida........that's a shame.

(Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere).

Lamont Sanford
04-20-2009, 01:32 PM
If true, then hahahahaha! The big, bad UofA Wildcats lose a recruit to the USF Bulls!

Karma Sean, karma!!

AviatorX
04-20-2009, 01:40 PM
How could he resist the lure of the Big East?

Muskie
04-20-2009, 01:40 PM
If true, then hahahahaha! The big, bad UofA Wildcats lose a recruit to the USF Bulls!

Karma Sean, karma!!

USF is in the Big East. It's not like the kid went to Middle Tennessee.

Xman95
04-20-2009, 02:35 PM

Karma Sean, karma!!

Hey, the South Florida name sells itself!

pimpinthebox
04-26-2009, 08:26 PM
USF is in the Big East. It's not like the kid went to Middle Tennessee.

Right, but they're still a bottom-feeder in the league. Those bad squads usually have ONE great player. That said, I recall when they routed UC at the end of the year, they had some dude who TORE UC'S ASS UP. Guy was a stud. He and Famous may make a nice combo.

xu15
04-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Right, but they're still a bottom-feeder in the league. Those bad squads usually have ONE great player. That said, I recall when they routed UC at the end of the year, they had some dude who TORE UC'S ASS UP. Guy was a stud. He and Famous may make a nice combo.

I think that guy is in the draft actually.

wkrq59
04-26-2009, 09:13 PM
15 you're right...But UC should never have lost that game or its BE tourney opener.:D

xman
05-26-2009, 05:35 PM
According to other site he wants out of LOI for various reasons, recruiter was fired a week after he signed, other coach left team, Heath has yet to even call him since he signed.

xutiny
05-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Here is the link (no mention of Xavier):

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/may/26/usfs-top-hoops-recruit-wants-out/sports/

X-man
05-26-2009, 05:51 PM
However notice that Arizona is on his list. I'm so glad that Miller is so true to his word about not going after Xavier recruiting targets. What an upright guy!

AviatorX
05-26-2009, 05:59 PM
However notice that Arizona is on his list. I'm so glad that Miller is so true to his word about not going after Xavier recruiting targets. What an upright guy!

Really? Do we actually have to go through this again?

gladdenguy
05-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Go through what???? the fact that Sean Miller is a piece of dung? I think we will have to go through it the rest of our lives.

SixFig
05-26-2009, 07:10 PM
If Brown leaves then Jarrid could be our starting PF...at least 25 minutes a game. And lead us to the final four. Then he'd be Famous ;)

AviatorX
05-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Go through what???? the fact that Sean Miller is a piece of dung? I think we will have to go through it the rest of our lives.

It sucks. But anyone on here questioning his recruiting just because he targets someone he may have talked to at XU is nuts. I think he might want to win out there, not sure, but I think so.

AviatorX
05-26-2009, 10:21 PM
Also, I just wanted to make it clear that it really pisses me off as well, I was so ready for next season and I feel like my fan hood heart has been ripped out. By no means am I on "his" side.

Xman95
05-26-2009, 11:17 PM
It sucks. But anyone on here questioning his recruiting just because he targets someone he may have talked to at XU is nuts. I think he might want to win out there, not sure, but I think so.

Well, if he wants to win, why is he going after guys that considered little, old Xavier? Shouldn't he be able to get good players now that he's coaching in the desert?

I can't complain Miller recruiting these guys. Unfortunately it's the way the game is played most most coaches. Granted, some like Skip seemed to be above the stuff we see so often in the college coaching world. But that difference is part of why we loved Skip and always will...and part of the reason why Sean Miller is a douchenozzle.

AviatorX
05-26-2009, 11:34 PM
I'm starting to really think people are bending Miller's words in ways he never even came close to intending them to mean. Everything I've heard suggests he actually liked it here and it was a struggle to leave. Maybe it's just me, but I'm past the hating Miller phase, and moving on to the supporting Mack phase.

PMI
05-27-2009, 12:04 AM

Don't feel bad, some people here just can't take the Xavier blinders off for two seconds and come to terms with the harsh realities of college basketball. They waited a long time for Xavier to become one of the big boys, but don't want to play by the big boy rules when they don't necessarily favor them.

AviatorX
05-27-2009, 12:10 AM
Don't feel bad, some people here just can't take the Xavier blinders off for two seconds and come to terms with the harsh realities of college basketball. They waited a long time for Xavier to become one of the big boys, but don't want to play by the big boy rules when they don't necessarily favor them.

Pretty much sums it up. I'm sure that a situation like this will favor us sometime in the future (to some extent it has--Crawford and Tutu), no one will be complaining then.

kyxu
05-27-2009, 07:04 AM
He's not only famous, he's infamous!

Muskie
05-27-2009, 08:00 AM
Newsflash.

Miller told Bobo that he would not talk to Xavier recruits until a new Head Coach was in place. Last time I checked... Chris Mack was the head coach at X. I'm not happy with Miller either.

But I've moved on.

DC Muskie
05-27-2009, 08:09 AM

You know what's funny, the last month a few people have demonstrated through their actions that they don't consider Xavier "one of the big boys." I'm looking at the people who were employed here a few months ago as examples.

muskiefan82
05-27-2009, 08:11 AM
Look at it a different way....

Xavier is now a school that attracts the same level recruits as the upper echelon teams in the country. The fact that these recruits followed the coach they intended to play for is nothing new. Xavier will continue to recruit and bring in these high level players with Chris Mack. Players move, transfer, ask out of their LOI at the highest levels all the time. Xavier is now at that level. Xavier will restock with new talent, move on, and kick ass year after year.

I still dislike the comments made by Miller, but he is not the coach of my beloved Muskies anymore. A true Xavier guy is now the coach. I have moved on and so have all the players that were not Xavier players, but Millers guys. Xavier will recruit guys who could have played at Arizona or Kentucky or UConn or anywhere, but want to play here and if Chris Mack ever leaves, some of his recruits may follow him too, but Xavier will go on and keep getting great players and great people.

Raoul Duke
05-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Newsflash.

Miller told Bobo that he would not talk to Xavier recruits until a new Head Coach was in place. Last time I checked... Chris Mack was the head coach at X. I'm not happy with Miller either.

But I've moved on.

I remember hearing that, and agree. I also thought that publicly he said only that he wouldn't go after current Xavier players - nothing about recruits.

Disclaimers: my memory may be wrong; I'm also not happy with Miller.

Just want to make sure we have all our facts straight.

/actual Jarrid Famous comment.

PMI
05-27-2009, 10:28 AM
You know what's funny, the last month a few people have demonstrated through their actions that they don't consider Xavier "one of the big boys." I'm looking at the people who were employed here a few months ago as examples.

Fair enough, I won't argue with that. But F it, we know we are legit. Are we still so thin-skinned that when we lose a coach (even if he feels like it was for a better job) that have to go measure our wangs again to prove to ourselves our own worth? (It's like losing a girl to a bigger douche bag than you. Real men get over it and find a better girl.) Or are we so high and mighty that we write off other injustices in college sports, but when they happen to us we just whine about how we continually get disrespected and used, and how we don't deserve this because we do things the right way, etc.? I hate to say it, but you don't get rewarded JUST for doing things the "Xavier Way," and since it's such a successful formula, let's not be shocked at the notion that someone may use it to benefit themselves. Let's also not forget that we hired them, used them to further our program, and are better because of it.

Look, maybe we DID get used. Maybe Miller never believed a damn word he said to us. I for one don't see it that way, but let's say it's true. WE NEED TO GET OVER IT. If Sean Miller is "stealing" recruits that may have come to Xavier, than those are obviously kids who wanted to look at Xavier because of Sean Miller. It's a moot point now. muskiefan82 is right, the program will go on, and those of you that wish to keep all this Sean Miller hatred bottled up are just making yourselves miserable. When we crack into the Final Four, how many of you are going to have vindictive "I told you so" kinds of feelings toward Miller and Matta amongst the first thoughts that enter your heads? There are some, and I think it's a shame.

Emp
05-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Fair enough, I won't argue with that. But F it, we know we are legit. Are we still so thin-skinned that when we lose a coach (even if he feels like it was for a better job) that have to go measure our wangs again to prove to ourselves our own worth? (It's like losing a girl to a bigger douche bag than you. Real men get over it and find a better girl.) Or are we so high and mighty that we write off other injustices in college sports, but when they happen to us we just whine about how we continually get disrespected and used, and how we don't deserve this because we do things the right way, etc.? I hate to say it, but you don't get rewarded JUST for doing things the "Xavier Way," and since it's such a successful formula, let's not be shocked at the notion that someone may use it to benefit themselves. Let's also not forget that we hired them, used them to further our program, and are better because of it.

Look, maybe we DID get used. Maybe Miller never believed a damn word he said to us. I for one don't see it that way, but let's say it's true. WE NEED TO GET OVER IT. If Sean Miller is "stealing" recruits that may have come to Xavier, than those are obviously kids who wanted to look at Xavier because of Sean Miller. It's a moot point now. muskiefan82 is right, the program will go on, and those of you that wish to keep all this Sean Miller hatred bottled up are just making yourselves miserable. When we crack into the Final Four, how many of you are going to have vindictive "I told you so" kinds of feelings toward Miller and Matta amongst the first thoughts that enter your heads? There are some, and I think it's a shame.

Absolute truth.

The inherent conflict between the romanticism of loving "our" program/team/players, and the absolute reality that coaches move on, seldom is balanced to any good purpose by most of us, and I include myself. Pissing all over ourselves in vindictive fury has to pass after a few minutes, hours, days.... not years or lifetimes.

DC Muskie
05-27-2009, 11:10 AM
I get what you are saying PMI, but with one distinction...

We are talking about something that is very current. This isn't Xavier fan railing against Thad or anything like that. This is something that happened last month and it has been like Chinese water torture for Xavier fans. We lose our coach. Then we lose our assistants. Then we lose our recruits, then we lose our strength coach, then our best player tells the media it doesn't matter if he gets drafted in the second round, he's gone. We have no outlet really. You think Xavier fans who come here to deal with things can go to a bar and start ranting about Sean to his buddy who has no idea who Sean is? Of course not.

This needs some time before most of us can move on. Now I'm not in favoring of calling Sean names, or blasting people, but it is strange that we have people who consider Xavier a special place that is capable of great things, then leave...to go to places that aren't very special but are capable of great things. See what I'm saying? We had a had a guy who fought against the mid-major label publicly, then turned around and left us, because compared to another program, we were mid-major in his eyes.

When's the last time Xavier ever fired a coach? When's the last time Xavier ever said, "Nope we aren't going to pay you more, or offer you an extension?" I can't think of it. It's simply something we don't do. We benefit from people who take our way of doing things and improve on it. That's why we hire these people.

Now if a year goes by and gladdenguy is still hating on Sean, then yes, I will agree that maybe he has a problem. But this idea that we should immediately get over it, especially since it's so raw for many, especially those that show up after Memorial Day on this site is a little like asking Philadelphia Eagles fans to stop smelling like farts all the time. It just ain't going to happen.

Jumpy
05-27-2009, 01:43 PM
In lieu of secret, inconsequential rep points, I will publicly commend your post DC. Well said.

PMI
05-27-2009, 04:26 PM
I get what you are saying PMI, but with one distinction...

We are talking about something that is very current. This isn't Xavier fan railing against Thad or anything like that. This is something that happened last month and it has been like Chinese water torture for Xavier fans. We lose our coach. Then we lose our assistants. Then we lose our recruits, then we lose our strength coach, then our best player tells the media it doesn't matter if he gets drafted in the second round, he's gone. We have no outlet really. You think Xavier fans who come here to deal with things can go to a bar and start ranting about Sean to his buddy who has no idea who Sean is? Of course not.

This needs some time before most of us can move on. Now I'm not in favoring of calling Sean names, or blasting people, but it is strange that we have people who consider Xavier a special place that is capable of great things, then leave...to go to places that aren't very special but are capable of great things. See what I'm saying? We had a had a guy who fought against the mid-major label publicly, then turned around and left us, because compared to another program, we were mid-major in his eyes.

When's the last time Xavier ever fired a coach? When's the last time Xavier ever said, "Nope we aren't going to pay you more, or offer you an extension?" I can't think of it. It's simply something we don't do. We benefit from people who take our way of doing things and improve on it. That's why we hire these people.

Now if a year goes by and gladdenguy is still hating on Sean, then yes, I will agree that maybe he has a problem. But this idea that we should immediately get over it, especially since it's so raw for many, especially those that show up after Memorial Day on this site is a little like asking Philadelphia Eagles fans to stop smelling like farts all the time. It just ain't going to happen.

I do appreciate you speaking the language I clearly understand. It makes it easier to see your point. Don't get me wrong, I'm still very unhappy about all of it. A couple months ago I was giddy about the thought of Derrick Brown helping Sean Miller lead our team to the Final Four, with the help of freshmen Parrom and Kryl. It sucks and it's still frustrating. But I guess part of what helps me taker it is knowing all along that we were never immune to something like that happening. I don't think "naive" is the appropriate term, but a lot of people on the board make themselves believe what they want to believe, which is fine, until the opposite comes true, and then you have certain people handling it like children.

I thought it was interesting (and I may have been guilty too, I don't even remember) that up until yesterday everyone who was discussing our team/roster/lineups for next year started their posts with: "Now this is, of course, assuming that DB comes back." I don't remember nearly as many posts that discussed our lineups that started off with the assumption that Brown, who ALREADY declared for the draft, was not going to return. When the Arizona and Virginia jobs opened and Miller's name surfaced, everyone here had every reason in the world why we weren't going to lose our coach. Again, fine. I was one of them. I believed Miller had a stronger loyalty and that was wrong. But I'm thankful that I wasn't so stubborn in that belief that once I realized he was gone I had no choice but to call him names and hate him with a passion. It didn't turn my whole world upside down and I didn't contemplate jumping, even though I was really pissed and forced to drink heavily. That's the distinction I'm trying to make, with regards to some people. It is what it is and I really think we have to get over it. We still may have been feeling the effects of Matta's departure years into the Miller-era, but at what point is it ridiculous to be thinking about it anymore?

It's not that I don't think it's still "current" or that it's wrong to vent out or anything like that, but it's the certain minority of people who can't even step back for a minute and see the other side of this. It's not all about Xavier. It's about Sean Miller and Derrick Brown as individuals too, as it is Kryl, Parrom, Book, and all of their families, etc. In Xavier's case, we've been the unfortunate victim of lots of collateral damage that has come from personal decisions made by real people. We MUST accept this. Of course we will all look at it from the Xavier POV because we're the fans, but if we can't recognize the other sides of the story and stoop to name-calling and cheap shots, we're just UC fans. That's all I'm trying to say.

I'm thinking about starting a support group for those really "Xtremely" warped fans who need help seeing things from another standpoint right now. In case hell freezes over and Miller has some success in AZ, and Brown gets drafted in the first round, I don't want to see what happens when some people's expectations are again proven wrong, and they respond dangerously. I'm not sure how much more some of them can take. I won't pressure anyone to attend but I really think gladdenguy should give it a shot. Let's all take one big step forward, together.

waggy
05-27-2009, 09:59 PM
About a week before Miller left I posted that if X was going to keep a top 16 program they were going to have to pay top 16 money. No one seemed to want to acknowledge that. If X pays "stupid money", whatever that is, Miller is probably still here. Whatever the case, look at Memphis... Probably paying top 16 money, AND now facing violations. So count your blessings.

PMI
05-27-2009, 11:28 PM
About a week before Miller left I posted that if X was going to keep a top 16 program they were going to have to pay top 16 money. No one seemed to want to acknowledge that. If X pays "stupid money", whatever that is, Miller is probably still here. Whatever the case, look at Memphis... Probably paying top 16 money, AND now facing violations. So count your blessings.

So what are you saying? Paying Top 16 money for a coach will end with that coach getting busted for recruiting violations? Or are you saying that Miller will likely fall into the same kind of trouble as Calipari, and by not paying him stupid money he won't have to do it at Xavier? I'm not sure what the point is.

waggy
05-28-2009, 12:48 AM
So what are you saying? Paying Top 16 money for a coach will end with that coach getting busted for recruiting violations? Or are you saying that Miller will likely fall into the same kind of trouble as Calipari, and by not paying him stupid money he won't have to do it at Xavier? I'm not sure what the point is.

It's my opinion that it's the programs responsibility to retain it's coach. If you pay him enough he stays. That simple.

The Memphis comment was really kind of an aside. They have a larger budget I would assume, and yet that program is probably worse off. So despite the limitations X operates under compared to some others, there is still reason to be thankful for where the program is at.

DC Muskie
05-28-2009, 08:18 AM
Well said PMI. I agree completely.

And the entire city of Philadelphia smells like farts.

ChrisFarley
05-28-2009, 03:06 PM
According to other site he wants out of LOI for various reasons, recruiter was fired a week after he signed, other coach left team, Heath has yet to even call him since he signed.

I read that Famous's dad told him to stay and UCF's coach would not let him out of his LOI.
I bet after a 24 hour cooling off period Famous stays at UFC. Famous strikes me as one & done NBA'er....he'll probably dominate at UCF for this season, while enjoying the balmy Florida weather and ladies, then drop his name in the hat for early entry...

AviatorX
05-28-2009, 03:14 PM
I read that Famous's dad told him to stay and UCF's coach would not let him out of his LOI.
I bet after a 24 hour cooling off period Famous stays at UFC. Famous strikes me as one & done NBA'er....he'll probably dominate at UCF for this season, while enjoying the balmy Florida weather and ladies, then drop his name in the hat for early entry...

Don't even know where to start with this one.

1. He's committed to USF
2. One and done NBA talent doesn't go the JUCO route.

Xman95
05-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Don't even know where to start with this one.

1. He's committed to USF
2. One and done NBA talent doesn't go the JUCO route.

If you're not smart enough to get into a legit school you do. Hello, Shawn Kemp. (Although I seriously doubt that is the case with Famous.)

Of course, if you're not smart enough to get into an NCAA university, you could always just go to Memphis. They'll make you eligible. I think you might have a good chance of making the cut at UK now too.

AviatorX
05-28-2009, 03:34 PM
If you're not smart enough to get into a legit school you do. Hello, Shawn Kemp. (Although I seriously doubt that is the case with Famous.)

Not sure about this day and age though.

You either cheat on the SAT (Derrick Rose/Memphis) or go to Europe (Jennings)

Xman95
05-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Not sure about this day and age though.

You either cheat on the SAT (Derrick Rose/Memphis) or go to Europe (Jennings)

Agreed...at least for the good one-and-dones. There are always a handful of guys who aren't cut out for school who declare for the draft after a year or two of JUCO ball. They rarely make it and probably wind up like every other goof working a 9-to-5'er (like us!).

Masterofreality
05-28-2009, 04:53 PM

Atta boy, DC.

Consider this a public rep point.

wkrq59
05-28-2009, 06:07 PM
DC, Dick Campbell was the last coch fired by Xavier. Tay Baker was moved upstairs or sideways.:D

jco17
05-31-2009, 08:01 PM

Of course, if you're not smart enough to get into an NCAA university, you could always just go to Memphis. They'll make you eligible. I think you might have a good chance of making the cut at UK now too.

Shawn Kemp was headed to Kentucky, but they were placed on probation and were in trouble with the NCAA. He then decided to go straight into the pro's.

Xman95
06-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Shawn Kemp was headed to Kentucky, but they were placed on probation and were in trouble with the NCAA. He then decided to go straight into the pro's.

But didn't he attend Trinity JC before going pro?

jco17
06-01-2009, 01:27 PM
He signed a letter of intent to play for UK, but left due to Sutton's scandle/violations on the school and transferred to Trinity. However, he was never able to play for them because of rules not allowing him to be eligible to play for their JC. So he spent a semester there and declared himself eligible to for the draft. So Kemp would have played for UK and would have been academically eligible, but UK was in trouble with the NCAA and he left the team before the season started. Then he had to abide by the transfer rules and just said screw it.

Xman95
06-01-2009, 11:25 PM
He signed a letter of intent to play for UK, but left due to Sutton's scandle/violations on the school and transferred to Trinity. However, he was never able to play for them because of rules not allowing him to be eligible to play for their JC. So he spent a semester there and declared himself eligible to for the draft. So Kemp would have played for UK and would have been academically eligible, but UK was in trouble with the NCAA and he left the team before the season started. Then he had to abide by the transfer rules and just said screw it.

So, technically, he did attend a JC before going pro. :)

I'm still somewhat amazed that Kemp spent any amount of time at any school. That guy is a moron. He had one true skill...he could put it in the hole. He was also a pretty talented basketball player too. Although his scoring percentage on the court wasn't quite as good.

DC Muskie
06-02-2009, 07:14 AM
that guy is a moron. He had one true skill...he could put it in the hole. He was also a pretty talented basketball player too. Although his scoring percentage on the court wasn't quite as good.

hey ooooh!!!!

jco17
06-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Now that is funny Xman95! He has 7 kids that has been made public and there are rumors that he actually has more.