PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know the trivia maker at the Cintas Center?

XUOWNSUC
01-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Does anybody know who is responsible for the trivia quesion on the jumbotron at the Cintas Center? If so, can you ask him/her to use the following question for the ud game?

Who was President the last time dayton beat Xavier in Cincinnati?

A. George Washington
B. Jimmy Carter
C. Abraham Lincoln

Edit: I shuddered when I put Carter next to the other two Presidents. But hey, Carter looks bad next to ANY other two Presidents.

blobfan
01-22-2008, 10:36 PM
I know this is not a fun answer and I feel like a hall monitor, but I've heard they are pretty strict about trying not to stir up antagonism. That's why when there are hard fouls they don't show the replay in the arena. Somehow I think that piece of trivia wouldn't make it pass censors.

PM Thor
01-23-2008, 12:29 AM
How great would that be though?

I can see the questions that I would love to hear at this years X-ud game.

Who scored over 45 vs dayton in one game?

How many years has it been since dayton has beaten Xavier in Cincinnati?

How many wins did Xavier have vs. dayton last year?

What is the Xavier record vs dayton in the last 12?

When was the last time dayton won an NCAA tournament game?

What was the score in the worst NCAA tournament game ever played? dayton vs. Depaul?

How many NBA players does dayton currently have?

Who won the NIT championship game between Xavier and dayton?

Wow. There are a lot of good questions in there.

blobfan
01-23-2008, 12:37 AM
Actually, the one about West scoring 47 points might make the cut.

Maybe the student section needs to start working on signs. It would be more fun to play trivia during the breaks than to watch cheerleaders spell, or attempt (pretend) to toss balls to the upper deck, or try to hear some chick with no public speaking experience try to run the trivia game on the video board while no one can hear her but the person standing next to her.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure she's a nice person but it drives me nuts they keep letting her do that. WE CAN'T HEAR! It reminds me of some of the people they used to have singing the national anthem, back when the only requirement was that you attempt to sound like Mariah Carey, whether you had the musical chops or not.

I think it's time for bed. I'm sounding cranky.

Kahns Krazy
01-23-2008, 11:32 AM
You must be in some unusual seats acousticly. I have never had a problem hearing her. I wish I did, her voice is like sandpaper on my brain.

coasterville95
01-23-2008, 12:27 PM
I agree, I never have trouble hearing her from near the front of Section 208. (Okay, in the part of 208 that is Prem III) In fact, overall I thought the sound system has been clearer this season than last.

Touching on other topics in this thread: I thought the main reason for not showing replays for foul situations (particularly dubious fouls), is out of professional courtesy for the officials. I beleive the rules are clear on what situations are eligible for instant replay/video review, and that the video review rules even have specificatiosn regarding which camera may be used. It is possible that by showing a replay you could show the arena at large a video that contradicts the call, but the officials do not have the luxury of viewing said video, and if they could may have changed their call. Of course not wanting to generate fan ill will is always a good thing as well. At least they are consistant, I think the only thing they instant replay are baskets made.

As far as antagonizing fans, I sawyto some degree if you are a fan of the visiting team, you should expect that things such as PA announcements and stuff shown on the video board may be for the enjoyment of the home fans at the expense of the visting team. So long as it is done in a professional manner. (i.e. the visiting team logo "disintegrating" right before the player intro video starts) I also recognize the fact that anytime you do something, someone is going to be either offended or "offended". For example, I recall reading on the SLU board some of their fans were griping becuase the GW PA announcer was making repeated announcements about holding SLU to the lowest score ever achieved in the shot clock era, calling it classless. I mean if you really wanted to be all equal and PC, you would go to the dreaded alternating player introductions.

That, and I am sure counsel has been consulted with to determine what is aceptable and what is not. I mean it seems like once a year Sports Talk has a show on where they talk about fans who are "afraid for their lives" to attend a sporting event as a fan of the visiting team. You can even find a thread or two on this very board about fans who have had very negative experiences at UD Arena. (See how I can wrap this around and back on topic, somewhat?)

Lastly, I would agree that some of the cheer routines are getting stale, the spelling out Xavier one springs instantly to mind. I thought it was cool in the 2005-2006 season, but hey at least this year they have attepted to spice it up by using the giant flags as well as sometimes having one of the mascots become the tail for the "R". (Sometimes I wonder if they will get the giant flags off the floor before the end of the TO). I think they have gotten better about the Ball Toss in the upper deck this year, but there are still some occasions where they come up with about 3 balls, or not at all.

Mark 3 Pointer
01-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Let's face it the spelling of Xavier on the floor is LAME-O as is pretty much everything the cheerleaders do. Although there is one blonde on the squad this year that could get it, which is light years ahead of years past.

Edit: Does anyone else find the trivia girl rather attractive? She could get it as well.

Lamont Sanford
01-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Let's face it the spelling of Xavier on the floor is LAME-O as is pretty much everything the cheerleaders do. Although there is one blonde on the squad this year that could get it, which is light years ahead of years past.

Edit: Does anyone else find the trivia girl rather attractive? She could get it as well.

Couldn't agree more M3P. The trivia chick is a hottie.

XU Fan
01-23-2008, 08:24 PM
The cheerleaders are weak and almost embarrassing, but it isn't like I long for really good cheers from them. Like almost all of you I don't really care about their cheers. Also, like almost all of you I wish the chicks were better looking.

blobfan
01-24-2008, 11:17 AM
It takes a lot of dedication to attend all those games, to go out on the floor when we are losing and cheer, cute or not. I am not going to say anything bad about the cheerleaders themselves.

I just wish they would stop asking me to spell outside of the fight song. Either we're college students/grads and we've got that covered, or we're inebriated and would rather focus on our beer and the court, not the alphabet. Used to be my friends and I would have a contest to see where the dance team ended up (standing, on the floor, legs spread, etc). Now the bet is whether or not they will successfully get the flags up. A couple games ago they got tangled and we had XVER.

XUOWNSUC
01-25-2008, 07:47 AM
The trivia last night was weak. They missed a great opportunity.

xuwin
01-25-2008, 09:08 AM
The half time act was weak too. They screwed up about half of their dunks.