PDA

View Full Version : "1981!" Chant ala the New York Rangers

XUOWNSUC
01-22-2008, 08:44 PM
I'm a New York Rangers fan. (I know what you are thinking - Who the hell watches hockey these days? Please bear with me.) Back in the day (before 1994), when the Rangers went on the road, opposing fans would chant "1940!" in reference to the last time the Rangers won the Stanley Cup. It used to tick off Ranger fans and the team. Eventually, the Rangers won the Stanley Cup in 1994 and the chant stopped. I propose the crowd at the Cintas Center chant "1981!" in the waning moments of the game as Xavier cruises to yet another victory over Dayton in Cincinnati. And, unlike the Rangers, the streak will continue forever!

PM Thor
01-22-2008, 09:00 PM
1981 doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

I prefer the Jimmy Carter! chant.

It's rather subversive, and takes a thinking man to get it. That's why I think it is perfect, because Xavier fans will be laughing our butts off about it, dayton fans will have a perplexed look of confusion on their faces (moreso I mean), and any announcers who hear it will have to research its meaning. This means that any commentator who actually gets it did his homework, and deserves a modicum of respect for it.

Word of the Day.

Modicum.

XUOWNSUC
01-22-2008, 09:38 PM
PM Thor -

You are a legend and a great American. I defer to your chant. Everybody else - please ignore my chant and use PM Thor's.

PM Thor
01-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Nooo. I am sure that there will be plenty of time to use both. I bet that the walkons will be out there early enough to try both.

I just don't want to hear "Watermelon, watermelon, On the vine, on the vine, Green and ripe and juicy, Green and ripe and juicy, Please be mine, Please be mine."

You sir, are a great American.

Fred Garvin
01-22-2008, 10:13 PM
I like the original idea. I want to hear plenty of "1940."

DC Muskie
01-24-2008, 08:22 AM
Li -nus
Li-nus
Li-nus

Snipe
01-24-2008, 08:48 AM
I prefer the Jimmy Carter! chant.

And you are allowed to chant that as many times as you want. Kahns Krazy can attest to this.

JIMMY CARTER!

X-band '01
01-25-2008, 06:32 AM
Who was breaking out the chants of Pac-Man and Donkey Kong towards the end? I forgot those were 1981 classics as well.