PDA

View Full Version : What got you hooked??

XU-PA
03-05-2009, 02:32 PM
While we're in standby mode, waiting for the start of the A-10.

What was it that got you hooked on XU WBB?
I can proudly say that while I love the men's program to death, my heart bleeds a bit bluer when it comes to K-Mac's team.

It was my daughter that got me hooked. In that amazing 2000-2001 season, someone at work offered up tickets to see XU play in the NCAA 2nd round vs Clemson. I had to work that night but my wife took Alex to the game, and they both came back hooked! I had for many years dragged Missy to every men's game I could get into, and she professed to be a fan, but I knew her heart wasn't really there. Anyway, Alex had just finished her first season of B-Ball as a 4th grader, she was on a horrible team, no wins, sometimes didn't even score, but she really liked playing. She talked us into sending her to Mel Balcomb's XU summer camp, there she took instruction from some of XU's finest. Amy, Retta, Taru and the rest taught her how to shoot. The next year in 5th grade ball she became the best player on her team, and helped lead them to within a game of the championship. Meanwhile a very good friend of mine was a manager in the XU PR department, and after I did her a favor of some sort, she asked how she could re-pay me. I said I'd love to the the voice of Xavier basketball (mostly in jest) but lo and behold, not long before the start of the 02/03 season she called, said that the WBB announcer had stepped down and I had the greatest job in the world for the next 2 years.

xuflash
03-05-2009, 02:50 PM
I've always enjoyed watching the WBB players. My aunt played for X back in the EARLY days of the program... I watched them through my time at XU and then have followed them when I can.

It is fun to watch as they play a more fundamental game than do the men. Having officiated games in the past, I always like working the women's games.

Unfortunately, I only get to see the XU Women play about 3 times a year (when they're on TV). I did get to the game in Cincinnati back over Thanksgiving, so that was fun.

xavierdude
03-05-2009, 03:51 PM
I followed them the last 4 years as a student. i went to one game this year...the louisville game. I was so put off by them at that game, I never really gave them a chance. I must apologize. They are doing a heck of a job.

xubball93
03-05-2009, 04:37 PM
I gotta say, I loved Tara Boothe - tough player. Followed the women ever since.

xuflash
03-05-2009, 05:27 PM
My dad is a HUGE XU Fan. Between the Men and the Women, he is usually in the same seats at Cintas for almost all of the games(He has season tickets for both teams). I know that he has been excited this year, although he has been unable to attend the games since January.

I try to keep him updated (from Atlanta) on the Women as there is not much news coverage on them. (When he was able to go to the games, he would often send me recaps each week via USnail). I've follow them via either XH, or GoXavier.com.

I called him yesterday to tell him that Ta'Shia won POY. He was excited.

I'm hoping that they will be in either Chattanooga or Duluth for the first rounds. I will make the trip to either of those sites.

X-band '01
03-05-2009, 05:44 PM
I started back in the 1997-98 season; I actually was in a class with 2 of the freshmen on that team (Erin Senser-Hill and Jennifer Parr). They were a team that was progressing from ground zero the year before to a team that would just miss upsetting UConn in Storrs by a hair a year later.

xu_fan
03-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Oddly enough during the 1998-1999 season when I was only 10 years old my mothers brother got some tickets from a friend he worked with... Me and my mom went with my uncle for about the first 3 years and then he got married and moved on, but me and my mom never quit going... About 10 years later I love the XU women's basketball team more than ever... I was born and raised in the bluegrass and bleed Kentucky blue when it comes to mens bball.... But its def to the point where i'd rather the X women to win the whole thing way more than i care if UK men do... I'm really hooked..

Good thread topic XU-PA