PDA

View Full Version : Juwan Staten (Commit OTHER)

Muskie
07-31-2007, 09:15 AM
Position: PG
High School: White High School
Home Town: Dayton (Oh)
Number: TBD
Height: 5'9
Weight: 160

Other Offers
Dayton

Other Interested Schools:
Cincinnati, Ohio St.

Muskie 24
01-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Ohio State is out...they picked up a verbal from Trae Golden...same class same position...I hear Xu, Ud, Purdue...he just visited Purdue but no offer....

Muskie
01-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Purdue worries me more then Dayton. Assuming the group of Freshman they have continues to improve, Purdue may be an attractive spot.

Lamont Sanford
01-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Purdue would definitely be a worry, but I think the fact that Staten is from Dayton makes them more worrisome. Gregory has made a conscious effort to recruit the locals hard. I think he would look great in blue and white however!

Come to Xavier! Come to Xavier!!

XU 87
01-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Per rivals, the top two teams for him are X and UD.

xufan02
02-27-2008, 12:49 PM
He verballed to UD today. Wait till after they fire BG and he will ink with Xavier

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/entries/2008/02/27/news_flash_juwan_staten_commit.html

dc_x
02-27-2008, 12:49 PM
He committed to UD

link (http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/entries/2008/02/27/news_flash_juwan_staten_commit.html)

Lamont Sanford
02-27-2008, 12:54 PM
DAMMIT!!!!

Looks like BG is trying to wrap up all the Dayton kids as quickly as possible before they come to their senses. I really wanted to see this kid in blue and white!

jcubspoe
02-27-2008, 01:44 PM
He verballed to UD today. Wait till after they fire BG and he will ink with Xavier

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/entries/2008/02/27/news_flash_juwan_staten_commit.html

Unfortunately, this may have bought BG a couple more years.

Smails
02-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Per the DDN and Rivals.com, UD picked up a pledge from 2010 PG Juwan Staten. XU, UD, UC and Purdue were the early favs. Xavier offered him.

This is a good get for UD...unless of course he catches a case of the suck.

boozehound
02-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Man, they are going to kill us in 2011. We better prepare ourselves...

waggy
02-27-2008, 02:49 PM
This bites if true.

Smails
02-27-2008, 02:50 PM
It is most definitely true.

pickledpigsfeet
02-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Don't worry, when Gregory gets fired, he'll be back open for recruiting, that is, if Daytonitis hasn't already taken its hold and we no longer want him.

GoMuskies
02-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Juwan Staten (whoever he is) clearly hates winning.

kyxu
02-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Don't worry, when Gregory gets fired, he'll be back open for recruiting, that is, if Daytonitis hasn't already taken its hold and we no longer want him.

This guarantees that Gregory won't be fired anytime soon, which to Xavier fans, is a very good thing. The guy can't beat us.

As far as missing out on a PG, with the way Mark Lyons has been playing this season, I'm not worried at all. We have our point guard for the next few years.

Still, this is a very good pick-up for UD.

Mark 3 Pointer
02-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Any kid that chooses UD over Xavier is simply afraid of success. It's a fact. It's science.

dc_x
02-27-2008, 03:49 PM
I have to think he chose UD because he thinks he can play there right away. With Lyons and potentially Redford as PGs in X's 2009 class, it makes it tough to add another PG for 2010.

BlueGuy
02-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Sounds like this kid has horrible judgement.

xavierj
02-27-2008, 04:07 PM
He would be a freshman when Redford and Lyons are juniors.

XUglow
02-27-2008, 04:16 PM
He will probably change Staten to rhyme with Dayton.

kyxu
02-27-2008, 04:29 PM
He would be a freshman when Redford and Lyons are juniors.

Right, which would mean he would likely not get significant minutes until his junior year at Xavier. That wasn't good enough for players like Johnny Wolf, so it likely wouldn't be good enough for Staten.

Snipe
02-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Good for Dayton. We need them to be able to keep winning in the non-conference.

Arnold Horshack
02-27-2008, 10:53 PM
This is one I wanted Miller to close on.

DC Muskie
02-28-2008, 08:35 AM
It will be what, three years before he suits up for Dayton? Great pickup, but plenty of things can happen before then.

boozehound
02-28-2008, 09:23 AM
Dayton's been kind of a black hole of point guards lately. I don't know how much I would expect from him. I don't think that Gregory is very good at developing PG's. Sean Miller on the other hand...

boozehound
03-30-2008, 02:58 PM
Why would anybody commit to Dayton over X?

We're celebrating an Elite Eight right now, what's Dayton doing?

BlueGuy
03-30-2008, 03:10 PM

I bet it involves a circle, and watermelons with holes cut in them. Some people are into that kind of thing, I guess.

AdamtheFlyer
03-30-2008, 03:49 PM

You aren't selling what's going on now, you're selling a vision for the future. That grows exponentially when you're recruting a sophomore that wants to commit as ealy as possible. BG's vision is to build UD to the top of the A10 and a national power with local kids. Wright, Benson, Kavanaugh, Staten, and hopefully Payne...possibly Edwards from Middletown (but I hear he's a secondary option at this point because BG prefers a Juco for next year or a transfer for 09).

Recruiting is a sales pitch, and BG is an excellent salesman.

BlueGuy
03-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Recruiting is a sales pitch, and BG is an excellent salesman.

As shown by all of his appearances in the NCAA Tournament as a head coach.

AdamtheFlyer
03-30-2008, 06:53 PM
As shown by all of his appearances in the NCAA Tournament as a head coach.

That's a different topic altogether.

A10fan
03-30-2008, 07:41 PM
it's all about playing time. Staten would have been behind Lyons for at least 2 years. Some kids want PT off the bat and some are willing to wait their turn. I can't blame him for that.

AdamtheFlyer
03-30-2008, 08:38 PM
it's all about playing time. Staten would have been behind Lyons for at least 2 years. Some kids want PT off the bat and some are willing to wait their turn. I can't blame him for that.

There's something to be said for that, but it doesn't tell the whole story, as you assume. Projecting a roster 32 months in advance is boarderline stupid. Who knows how good either will be at that time.

The truth is, and I get this from a very reliable source (A source that informed me of Staten's verbal a week before it was announced), Gregory is selling a message. Roberts, Meachum, and that class came for immediate playing time. The rest are coming to play for BG, because they're of the same mindset. Wright, Kavanaugh, and Staten are all willing to give everything they have to take UD to the next level using BG's style of play. I hate to say it, but Meacham, Little, and Plummer did not. It's why Meacham left and the other two clashed with BG from day one. Little is only now starting to buy in, and it has everything to do with Wright on the floor in practice.

BG stresses defense and rebounding above all else, and then exploding from that into the offensive end. Ideally, the team plays defense for 30 seconds, rebounds a miss, and attacks to score within 15 seconds. If not, they set up a play. Some guys buy in, and some don't. That's the biggest reason why BG has had trouble getting a true point...most true points don't buy in to that style. If Staten ends up at UD not wanting to play defense and rebounding first and foremost, he won't play. That's why we've seen so much of London Warren despite him not being able to score from outside the paint and being incredibly loose with the ball. He defends and rebounds very well. It why Searcy took all of Thiago's minutes as the year wore on...despite Thiago being worlds ahead of Devin on the offensive end.

Next year will be interesting. BG will finally have a roster that both buys into his style, and has the athletic ability to excel in it. Binnie and Sandoval sure didn't, and while BRob is one of the best players to ever play at UD, his game isn't best suited for BG's system.

boozehound
03-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Adam, that is all probably true about BG's vision. I'm just saying that I would have an easier time buying that vision from a program who has a history of getting to the NCAA tournament and winning games in recent history. If I'm looking at UD and buying BG's grand visions for the future, I would be looking at X playing in the Elite Eight for the second time in four years, under 2 different coaches, and seeing a much more credible and attainable vision for future success there. Even with a reasonably talented roster, BG just can't seem to string together any postseason success.

AdamtheFlyer
03-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Adam, that is all probably true about BG's vision. I'm just saying that I would have an easier time buying that vision from a program who has a history of getting to the NCAA tournament and winning games in recent history. If I'm looking at UD and buying BG's grand visions for the future, I would be looking at X playing in the Elite Eight for the second time in four years, under 2 different coaches, and seeing a much more credible and attainable vision for future success there. Even with a reasonably talented roster, BG just can't seem to string together any postseason success.

True. This year was tough though, because one of the two stars getting injured derailed a season that looked very promising. I think ever reasonably intelligent person would agree they likely make the dance with Wright healthy in A10 play. That's not something we can blame BG for. The team without Wright was an NIT caliber team. And I suppose one could argue that BG did has some level of postseason success this year. Getting to the NIT and winning 2 games is certainly a notable step up for the program. The ball is rolling, BG needs to make sure it picks up in velocity.

And I'm not saying I know why BG's message strikes a chord with kids, but it sure is doing just that.

Juice
03-30-2008, 09:16 PM
Yeah, BG may have a vision but it has not translated to success at all. He has been at UD for several years and the program appears to be getting worse. Actions speak louder than words and UD's results should be looked at more strongly than BG's vision/sales pitch. What could he be telling them? "Come play for us and we will make it to the NIT and lose in the quarterfinals."
I would rather come to Xavier and sit the bench for two years and then play siginificant minutes as an upperclassman than play right away on a team that has not played a meaningful game since God only knows when.

kyxu
03-30-2008, 09:20 PM
I would rather come to Xavier and sit the bench for two years and then play siginificant minutes as an upperclassman than play right away on a team that has not played a meaningful game since God only knows when.

You're not Juwan Staten.

I love Xavier as much as the next guy, but different kids have different priorities. From what I've read, Staten wanted 1) to be close to home and 2) playing time right away. If I'm a recruit from Dayton examining both Xavier and UD, UD takes the cake in both categories.

It's ok, people. There are plenty of point guards in the 2010 class to go around.

AdamtheFlyer
03-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Yeah, BG may have a vision but it has not translated to success at all. He has been at UD for several years and the program appears to be getting worse.

The facts disagree with you. UD is not where it needs to be, but it's certainly not getting worse. It's tough to argue that it's not improving steadily.

14-17 185 RPI
19-11 71 RPI
23-11 33 RPI NIT quarterfinals

If that same level of progress continues through next year...UD is in the NCAAs.

What if it continues for 3, 4, or 5 more years?

UD is anything but getting worse. This is what most UD fan BG haters say. I just laugh. The proof is in the pudding, the program is headed in the right direction. Call me when it stops doing so. We'll examine BG at that point.

A10fan
03-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Adam,

has BG only been there 3 years? I think you omitted the start which conveniently supports your statement. I think UD is going to struggle mightily next year without Brob. You better hope some of those freshmen are ready because I don't see anyone that can shoot. Possibly MJ but he will be a focus for most defenses outside.

AdamtheFlyer
03-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Oh yeah, I left off an NCAA team coached by BG and an 18-11 year with a sub 100 RPI. One truly bad season out of 5, the latter 4 were in an obvious rebuilding state. The same amount of NCAA wins as his predecessor.

Kind of tough to argue the program is regressing under BG, isn't it?

kyxu
03-30-2008, 09:55 PM
Kind of tough to argue the program is regressing under BG, isn't it?

Well...

I guess if you look at UD on paper, it seems like they took a dip in year 3 for Gregory, then improved. But they went to the Big Dance his first year, no postseason the following three, then the NIT this year after looking so promising. Injuries were an issue this year, but it shouldn't take a program three years to rebuild. If Gregory's making progress, it's slow-going.

I'm not talking smack, Adam, and I don't think UD's program's regressing per se. Just trying to figure out what separates Brian Gregory's career from someone like Jim Baron's.

AdamtheFlyer
03-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Well...

I guess if you look at UD on paper, it seems like they took a dip in year 3 for Gregory, then improved. But they went to the Big Dance his first year, no postseason the following three, then the NIT this year after looking so promising. Injuries were an issue this year, but it shouldn't take a program three years to rebuild. If Gregory's making progress, it's slow-going.

I'm not talking smack, Adam, and I don't think UD's program's regressing per se. Just trying to figure out what separates Brian Gregory's career from someone like Jim Baron's.

To rebuild from where UD was? Shoot, three years would be a minor miracle. They played 5 freshmen in BG's second year. Not because of choice, but out of necessity. Of those 5, one became a star, one a decent role player, and three didn't pan out/left. Not bad for a hastily thrown together class that didn't conform with BG's preferred style of play.

If you're someone who doesn't follow UD that close and tends to look on the surface, I see your point. Look below and see what really was going on. OP left BG Warren Williams, Mark Jones, Marques Bennett, Logan White, James Cripe and Chris Spears. That's four Jimmy Binnie's and one Sandoval, by comparison. Bob Knight isn't winning with that supposed talent in the upper classes. The fact that they won 18 games that first year is a testament to BG in its own right.

kyxu
03-30-2008, 10:30 PM
OP also left Keith Waleskowsi and Sean Finn. Mark Jones wasn't too bad, either. I also don't really buy into the Majerus-esque idea of when a coach "inherits" a program and when things go wrong, he can just say "I didn't pick this team". Gregory took the job, and he should have known what type of cards he would have in Dayton. Not saying he ever made that Majerus excuse, but it's all in him.

I don't claim to follow UD basketball as religiously as you do (understandably), and don't really have the opportunity to scrutinize their basketball program, but objectively-speaking a run to the NCAA Tournament should breed some success that doesn't pay dividends five years later. I am sorry three of Gregory's first five recruits didn't pan out, but Gregory does the recruiting, and there's due diligence to be accounted for when players don't fit the mold. And besides, UD isn't the only school that loses players to transfer.

There could be marvelous things on the horizon for Gregory. Or he might be fired in three years. I don't really know what to expect, nor does it really affect me in any way. I don't hate Dayton, and it doesn't bring me any extraordinary pleasure to see them lose. If this were some other team with the same circumstances and results, I would have the same reaction. I just don't think UD fans, with the resources and attention the basketball program receives, are getting what is deserved, and I don't think any explanation that's been offered by UD fans on this board is all that reasonable. But you have faith in your program, want the best and I can't fault that in the slightest

I don't even know why I posted on this thread, and I'm sorry I did. After the ups and downs of this past week with Xavier, UD basketball is the farthest thing from my mind.

AdamtheFlyer
03-30-2008, 10:53 PM
OP also left Keith Waleskowsi and Sean Finn. Mark Jones wasn't too bad, either. I also don't really buy into the Majerus-esque idea of when a coach "inherits" a program and when things go wrong, he can just say "I didn't pick this team". Gregory took the job, and he should have known what type of cards he would have in Dayton. Not saying he ever made that Majerus excuse, but it's all in him.

I don't claim to follow UD basketball as religiously as you do (understandably), and don't really have the opportunity to scrutinize their basketball program, but objectively-speaking a run to the NCAA Tournament should breed some success that doesn't pay dividends five years later. I am sorry three of Gregory's first five recruits didn't pan out, but Gregory does the recruiting, and there's due diligence to be accounted for when players don't fit the mold. And besides, UD isn't the only school that loses players to transfer.

There could be marvelous things on the horizon for Gregory. Or he might be fired in three years. I don't really know what to expect, nor does it really affect me in any way. I don't hate Dayton, and it doesn't bring me any extraordinary pleasure to see them lose. If this were some other team with the same circumstances and results, I would have the same reaction. I just don't think UD fans, with the resources and attention the basketball program receives, are getting what is deserved, and I don't think any explanation that's been offered by UD fans on this board is all that reasonable. But you have faith in your program, want the best and I can't fault that in the slightest

I don't even know why I posted on this thread, and I'm sorry I did. After the ups and downs of this past week with Xavier, UD basketball is the farthest thing from my mind.

He took Wally, Finn, and Marshall back to the dance. After losing Brooks Hall and Nate Green, they had a very good year.

Mark Jones was my Sandoval in the comparison. Decent player with a few weaknesses.

I don't know what you'd consider reasonable. You seem to just want to give you opinion without really looking at the other side. That's fine and all, but you're missing the real story. Rebuilding is a process that takes multiple years. Is it going as quickly as we would like? No.

But reasonable UD fans see that progress is being made. If the 18-11 and 14-17 years were switched and the 14-17 year came first, would that look better to you? I'm guessing so. To me, they're both rebuilding years that ended without postseason play. They bit the bullet and rode young players through the growth process by letting them play. I view them equally, and they lead to better years in succession. It's paying off, those young guys are now ready to take control. If the progress continues at the same pace as the last two years, great things will come pretty soon.

If not? BG will be looking for employment in two or three years.

Juice
03-30-2008, 11:16 PM
He took Wally, Finn, and Marshall back to the dance. After losing Brooks Hall and Nate Green, they had a very good year.

Mark Jones was my Sandoval in the comparison. Decent player with a few weaknesses.

I don't know what you'd consider reasonable. You seem to just want to give you opinion without really looking at the other side. That's fine and all, but you're missing the real story. Rebuilding is a process that takes multiple years. Is it going as quickly as we would like? No.

But reasonable UD fans see that progress is being made. If the 18-11 and 14-17 years were switched and the 14-17 year came first, would that look better to you? I'm guessing so. To me, they're both rebuilding years that ended without postseason play. They bit the bullet and rode young players through the growth process by letting them play. I view them equally, and they lead to better years in succession. It's paying off, those young guys are now ready to take control. If the progress continues at the same pace as the last two years, great things will come pretty soon.

If not? BG will be looking for employment in two or three years.

He took Purnell's guys to the dance. Since then there has not bee much success. I thought Purnell had UD moving in a great direction but then Gregory ruined the momentum. Gregory is bringing in decent recruits but their talent is wasted because of the lack of depth around them.

kyxu
03-31-2008, 08:31 AM
You seem to just want to give you opinion without really looking at the other side. That's fine and all, but you're missing the real story. Rebuilding is a process that takes multiple years. Is it going as quickly as we would like? No.

That's right, I forgot about Marshall. There's three solid seniors Gregory had when he took over, which was something Sean Miller didn't have his first year as head coach.

And yes, it's my opinion, what else am I going to give? I can't predict the future, so I'm going to look at the facts (the records, players there), and make my own deductions. If you have a problem with that, fine. You won't see me on UDPride trying to convince people there how and why Xavier re-loads. But please, if you're looking for an in-depth analysis on UD's progress and what the future holds, I'm not the guy with which you should be conversing. Really, my brain can't take all the nuance of progress that is University of Dayton basketball right now.

Yeah, rebuilding sometimes takes a few years if you're recovering from sanctions. Programs like UD's and Xavier's shouldn't take three years to make it back to the postseason in a conference like the Atlantic 10. Programs take several years to rebuild from what? A meteor strike? Nuclear holocaust? Most teams in college basketball aren't allowed that latitude. Miller would be out on his ass with performances like that. 14-17??? And UD actually beat Xaver that year. Like I said before, I'm not a UD hater in the slightest, and have held the history of that program in high regard. I just wouldn't think it'd be acceptable at any place like UD. And I've read UD Pride's board before from time to time. There are people there who actually pay attention to your program, and their opinions aren't too far from mine. Doesn't make them correct (who could be correct?), but it doesn't make them unreasonable.

xu95
03-31-2008, 11:18 AM
If Staten never wants to play in the NCAA tourney why should we let that bother us. We don't want players without high expectations anyhow.

xu95

Juice
03-31-2008, 12:00 PM
I agree 95. If he wants to go to Dayton and be the man right away that is fine but do not expect to be anything other than a starter on an NIT team at best. Adam most of your posts are pretty good but I cannot agree with your assesment on Gregory.

XtremeXfan
04-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Agreed. I love to watch great coaches during games, and Gregory is certainly not one of them. I think he runs a terrible offense, makes bad decisions, and has a bad substitution pattern. I cannot see Dayton thriving under his belt, but I guess that is fine with me...

Arnold Horshack
04-03-2008, 01:59 PM
you would think that all of our success would lure a kid like Staten into our program. How the heck does Gregory get kids like Staten and Wright to turn us down for UD? I just can't wrap my mind around that one.

Firehose
04-03-2008, 03:02 PM
I honestly think it's all about ego - Staten is in the same essential boat that Stefphon Pettigrew was in last year. He's a rock star recruit who wants to be the man now, not in two years. I acknowledge his talent and recognize that he would be a wonderful addition to our team, but weren't we saying a lot of the same about Churchill Odia?

wkrq59
04-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Agreed. I love to watch great coaches during games, and Gregory is certainly not one of them. I think he runs a terrible offense, makes bad decisions, and has a bad substitution pattern. I cannot see Dayton thriving under his belt, but I guess that is fine with me...

And I'll supplement that with this: Any coach who teaches the kind of play exhibited by Kurt Huelsman is not on a high rung of the ladder in my opinion. Yes, Izzo and Martelli teach the same moving screens and Izzo obviously believes in the "hard foul" we see so prevailent in the NBA.
But any coach who would let a kid do what Huelsman did in the Xavier game in Dayton ought to seriously consider a career change or alter his ways and schemes. A very skilled player--which Huelsman at this point is not--is able to pull off moving screens and downright rough picks/screens without injuring other players and endangering their futures as Huelsman did to Burrell and Jackson.
Pat Calathes sets hard screens and more often than not they are illegal (moving) screens. But Kurt just doesn't have the quickness and polish of a Calathes and he is going to hurt someone seriously if Gregory doesn't stop him from dropping his shoulder into an opponent from behind.

Arnold Horshack
04-19-2008, 10:35 PM
I think I know of the plays that you are talking of with Huelsman wkrq, and they were both loose ball fouls, not moving screens. I didn't have any problem with either one. Actually, I think the only one that was a foul was when Huelsman knocked Raymond out of bounds. Stanley went down on his own trying to wrap around Huelsman who was putting his body between Stanely and the ball that was bouncing out of bounds. It was a good hustle play by both players. I didn't see anything out of line with it.

AdamtheFlyer
04-20-2008, 12:25 AM
Kurt sets a lot of moving screens, so I get what Q is saying. Problem is, moving screens are not the fault of the screener 99% of the time. It's the fault of the person with the ball/person designed to come off the screen. When they move early, there's really nothing the screener can do but react out of instinct. If Q is calling Kurt a thug because of that, I don't know what to say.

As far as Kurt running into two guys near the bench...he's going after a loose ball both times. He's 50-75 lbs heavier and far less mobile than most players. What's he supposed to do, stop on a dime when someone beats him to the spot? Inertia, folks. That's not how it works.

Jason Love jacknifed Calathes on a breakaway dunk in one of the St Joe games. That wasn't a thug play, it was a really big guy moving faster than his ability to stop. Stuff happens. The only reason that was an intentional/flagrant is because Calathes was in the air.

jcubspoe
04-20-2008, 08:48 PM
I agree 95. If he wants to go to Dayton and be the man right away that is fine but do not expect to be anything other than a starter on an NIT team at best. Adam most of your posts are pretty good but I cannot agree with your assesment on Gregory.

Amazing how X brought themselves from utter obscurity and a mud mat in college basketball to what they are now. I'm sure other programs can make much smaller jumps. You probably weren't alive to remember those years. :p

kyxu
04-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Amazing how X brought themselves from utter obscurity and a mud mat in college basketball to what they are now. I'm sure other programs can make much smaller jumps. You probably weren't alive to remember those years. :p

*Gasp* Is that supposed to be some kind of stunner?

"Families are always rising and falling in America" -Nathaniel Hawthorne

jcubspoe
04-20-2008, 10:55 PM
*Gasp* Is that supposed to be some kind of stunner?

"Families are always rising and falling in America" -Nathaniel Hawthorne

No more of a stunner then us getting JS I suppose. This is quite frankly stupid. (this thread I mean). There are any number of reasons as to why a kid chooses one school over another. I could list for miles players and the possible reasons that they chose other schools over X and UD. One of the worst given reasons for a player choosing a school is that I've read is "we send them to the NBA". That's a bunch of horse shit. So these kids that are pretty much givens to head to the NBA after one or two years would really stumble if they chose let's say Kansas St (Beasley) over X, even though you guys waxed them this year??? Players that are good enough for the NBA are going to wind up in the NBA no matter where they played college basketball. The NBA finds these guys in fall out shelters in Lithuania anymore. I really don't feel like going into this so I'll leave it at that.

kyxu
04-20-2008, 11:19 PM
No more of a stunner then us getting JS I suppose. This is quite frankly stupid. (this thread I mean). There are any number of reasons as to why a kid chooses one school over another. I could list for miles players and the possible reasons that they chose other schools over X and UD. One of the worst given reasons for a player choosing a school is that I've read is "we send them to the NBA". That's a bunch of horse shit. So these kids that are pretty much givens to head to the NBA after one or two years would really stumble if they chose let's say Kansas St (Beasley) over X, even though you guys waxed them this year??? Players that are good enough for the NBA are going to wind up in the NBA no matter where they played college basketball. The NBA finds these guys in fall out shelters in Lithuania anymore. I really don't feel like going into this so I'll leave it at that.

Wow, you went in a completely different direction from the point I was trying to make, but that's ok.

muskienick
06-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Generally speaking, Adam is about as objective about his Flyers as any fan of a program could be expected to be. He is cognizant of the program's weaknesses and admits those that we have also noticed. And he is always ready to give the Muskies their due.

I cannot feel any reason to be critical of him for supporting his chosen program or expressing pleasure at commitments like that of the Staten kid, especially since he does so without gloating.

That doesn't mean I am not ecstatic that I'm a Muskie fan and that I am envious of the supporters of the Flyers. As Adam does for the Xavier program, I want to give him his due.

Muskie
06-10-2008, 03:08 PM
I also appreciate Adam's enthusiasm for the Flyers and the insight he brings here.

MADXSTER
06-10-2008, 03:12 PM
I also appreciate Adam's enthusiasm for the Flyers and the insight he brings here.

Ditto. I enjoy reading his post. It's nice to see a different view point without the Flaming.

AdamtheFlyer
06-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Wow, thanks. I'm humbled, which isn't easy. ;)

I like you guys here. There's trash talk and some inane homerism (We're all guilty of that from time to time), but by and large it's a great team site. There's a large middle ground between the pollyannas and the doomsday crowd, unlike UD Pride for my Flyers. I am envious in that regard. The bigger the middle, the better the discussion. I don't care that we root for rival teams but twice (sometimes three) times a year. The rest we're just talking basketball, my favorite sport.

Muskie
06-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Wow, thanks. I'm humbled, which isn't easy. ;)

I like you guys here. There's trash talk and some inane homerism (We're all guilty of that from time to time), but by and large it's a great team site. There's a large middle ground between the pollyannas and the doomsday crowd, unlike UD Pride for my Flyers. I am envious in that regard. The bigger the middle, the better the discussion. I don't care that we root for rival teams but twice (sometimes three) times a year. The rest we're just talking basketball, my favorite sport.

Start your own UD board! :eek:

waggy
06-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Thor and I will be mods.

MADXSTER
06-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Thor and I will be mods.

LOL Thor and waggy mods on a UD board. There would be more deletions, edits, suspensions...More upset UD fans than...complete anarchy. You two would be the most hated people on this side on the planet.

But you would be fair.