PDA

View Full Version : Pops Mensah-Bonsu

JWSmuskie
02-27-2009, 11:30 PM
Don't know if anyone noticed the former GW stud grabbing some late minutes in the Spurs-Cavs game tonight. Cavs had a 20 point lead in the fourth, pops played last 12 minutes with 11 points and 6 minutes. He also managed to get three fouls in that short period. I thought this guy was rotting in the D league, but am glad to hear he played good tonight in the big league. It reminded me of those numerous monster slams he had when they killed X back before the run. Does anyone know how long hes been on the Spurs roster? Hopefully he can keep a spot and represent the A10!

http://www.draftexpress.com/gallery/PopsMensah-Bonsu/1103077475.jpg

Backyard Champ
02-27-2009, 11:49 PM
I'm not sure how long he has been on the roster, but I thought he was playing over seas, It is refreshing seeing him play in the NBA. I'm a fan of any A ten player n the NBA.

Backyard Champ
02-27-2009, 11:50 PM
let me correct myself....unless that player went to UD, then no way no how he should be in the NBA

AviatorX
02-28-2009, 12:25 AM
let me correct myself....unless that player went to UD, then no way no how he should be in the NBA

Clearly this is never too much of a problem.

BiggieXU
02-28-2009, 12:29 AM
He was pretty sick at GW. They used to have psuedo dunk contests in pre game warmups. They were great.

Firehose
02-28-2009, 12:41 AM
He was just signed a few days ago. I just checked the Spurs website and he got a 10-day contract on Wednesday, so he has a week left to make a statement before he goes back to Austin.

BiggieXU
02-28-2009, 12:50 AM
He mainly just reminds me of the 20 pt GW win against X that ignited Lionel and started The Run. I remember watching that game at Ryan's Pub as an X-Treme Fans event, it was depressing.

GuyFawkes38
02-28-2009, 01:32 AM
As crazy as it might sound, I bet D leaguers who are able to get short term contracts with the NBA every once in a while make a good living. The NBA has quite a minimum wage.

That might explain another part of the reason why so many solid players choose the D league over Europe.

JWSmuskie
02-28-2009, 10:46 AM
He was just signed a few days ago. I just checked the Spurs website and he got a 10-day contract on Wednesday, so he has a week left to make a statement before he goes back to Austin.

I hope he can get a steady spot in the nba. But hey, worse case scenario, he goes back to Austin and improves Stan Burrell's assist to turnover ratio.

Xman95
02-28-2009, 10:50 AM

That shouldn't be a concern. If a guy played at Dayton he won't be in the NBA. So you're safe!

Stonebreaker
02-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Whatever happened to Carrroll from St. Joe's?

JWSmuskie
02-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Whatever happened to Carrroll from St. Joe's?

I believe he has been playing in Europe his entire career. Hes been invited to several nba team's summer league team, but has been unable to make the roster. I think he is currently playing in France. I know his brother is in the nba, and the guy could flat out shoot it with Nelson and West in that elite 8 year

Stonebreaker
02-28-2009, 12:29 PM
That dude was one guard that I always wanted to have at X. Great shooter, moved well off the ball, and good court awareness.

danaandvictory
02-28-2009, 12:40 PM
That shouldn't be a concern. If a guy played at Dayton he won't be in the NBA. So you're safe!

Is Negele Knight still the last UD graduate to play in the NBA?

LutherRackleyRulez
03-02-2009, 02:57 AM
Surfed this article last week on BBC site...

GB is still a priority, says Pops

Pops Mensah-Bonsu says he is glad to be back in the NBA but does not expect his stay in America to get in the way of his commitments with the GB team.

"I'm thrilled and excited to get another chance to play in the NBA," said Mensah-Bonsu, who made his debut for new team San Antonio on Wednesday.

"But my commitment to GB is high on my priority list.

"Now that we're going to the European Championships, I'm not going to let anything get in the way."

The Tottenham-born 25-year-old played all 13 games in GB's 2008 summer programme, which culminated in qualification for this year's EuroBasket in Poland.

"If you look at our roster, together with a couple of additions - Ben Gordon and Kelenna Azubuike - we've got four NBA players, which not many national teams can say they have," said Mensah-Bonsu.

"That's a pretty talented group and a tough team. I think we'll be able to compete."

Mensah-Bonsu was signed to a 10-day contract by San Antonio but remains hopeful he will be kept on until the end of the season.

"I really wanted this and it feels good to be back," he said. "I feel I can make an impact on this league.

"I feel confident I will be with an NBA team at the end of the season. I hope I will be San Antonio."

The Spurs are currently second in the Western Conference in midseason, having won 38 of 55 games so far.

Mensah-Bonsu played three months for the Dallas Mavericks in 2006 before returning to Europe to play with for Benetton Treviso.

He started this season at Badalona in Spain, before being released in October in a dispute over a shoulder injury.

He made his debut for GB against Belgium in Sardinia in August and led GB in total scoring and rebounding through the successful summer programme.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/basketball/7910649.stm

JWSmuskie
03-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Wow, I had no idea he was born in GB. Same with Ben Gordon. How did he end up at George Washington? I'm happy for him that he made their national team too, and hope he represents his country along with the A10 well.

Xman95
03-07-2009, 07:13 PM
How did he end up at George Washington?

Because GW is college basketball's Ellis Island.

Also, Pops has signed with Toronto for the remainder of the NBA season.