PDA

View Full Version : At the Temple Game...Blahhhh!

Masterofreality
02-26-2009, 05:17 AM
A part of the Philly Double, I went to the XU Temple womens' game last night. Disappointing.

First of all, I thought I was watching a rerun of the men's game I went to at Dookcane. Temple comes out fired up and takes a big halftime lead by nailing threes and outhustling Xavier. I'm getting sick of seeing that kind of stuff happening on the road, but it does happen. By sheer talent, Xavier made a comeback run, but didn't get all the way back. I know that XU's back-up point guard is hurt, making Special Jennings play more and changing a few roles, but here's a few things that really disturbed me, though.

First- For a team that is ranked so high, with all the obvious talent, Xavier played last night like a bunch of prima donnas- not all Xavier's players, but enough to make a difference. I know, strong words, but Temple out worked them for every loose ball, every contested rebound and played harder on the defensive side of the floor. This has happened before- against UC, and in numerous post season games against good teams- Xavier gets outworked. There was a very telling point last night in the second half. Xavier is making a run and is only down by 6 with about 5 or 6 minutes to go. Temple tries a 3 and misses with the ball caroming to the corner. Not only did the ball hit the floor- it hit twice with not a single XU girl going after it at a crucial point in the game. Temple gets a gift then nails a 3 putting them back up by 9.

Second- Xavier had Temple's center, Cotton, in foul trouble with 4 fouls with about 5 minutes to go. There were perfect chances to post T Phillips up to foul Cotton out. Never did the ball go in there, but aimless 3's and ill advised drives were the choices.

Third- This team's mental toughness is a concern. When they can get a lead, they seem to be fine, but if they fall behind, they don't seem to have the stuff to make it all the way back. Item number one may have something to do with that.

Now, I don't see every game, but what I saw last night against a pretty good Temple team tells me that this group of ladies ahd better step up the effort, or it'll be another disappointing early exit. I can take losing games- especially on the road, but not when kids are being outworked and underutilizing their ability.

PS. Amber Harris had sweats on and warmed up- tentatively. The knee was taped tight and wrapped. No way she can be ready to play. To me, it would be a big risk and crazy for her to try to play this year. Apparently, she only wants to play one more year, but she'd better get healthy all the way before there are any WNBA thoughts at all. She looks like she still has a long way to go.

The men's game had better be better tonight!!

X-band '01
02-26-2009, 06:25 AM
Apparently the Commonwealth of PA has not been kind to the Master.

You never like to see the team getting outhustled, but you gotta wonder if they were playing with any sense of urgency - it is understandable with the #1 seed in the A-10 locked up, but taking a game off is a recipe for disaster this time of year. They made comebacks against Dayton, Saint Louis, and Saint Joe's (all potential A-10 quarterfinal matchups); it's highly unlikely they'll shoot as well as they did against GW last time, and if they meet Charlotte in the finals, it will be difficult to beat them on the road a 2nd straight time.

xu_fan
02-26-2009, 07:35 AM
I normally see a lot of hustle out of this team... Every once in awhile they slip up, BUT overall I would def say this team hustles... I am not too disappointed by this loss but maybe I should be.. They also came back against LSU also...

Emp
02-26-2009, 09:57 AM
MOR you are a true sports fan to do the double in Philly.

But before you go tonight, please swear to us all NO SNUGGIE!

and er, one more question... have you ever attended a game in PA where Xavier has won? The Duquesne streak I know about...just askin.

Masterofreality
02-27-2009, 06:21 AM
MOR you are a true sports fan to do the double in Philly.

But before you go tonight, please swear to us all NO SNUGGIE!

and er, one more question... have you ever attended a game in PA where Xavier has won? The Duquesne streak I know about...just askin.

I have an excellent record in Philly- except for the Liacouras Center. Like Dookcane, I may never return to that House of Horrors II. St. Joes, LaSuck, and the Spectrum? I'm all good. Add the Palestra to my list of Philly conquests.

Bigbluebrotha
02-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Master, congrats on your Philly domination. I know the Palestra is historic, but is it a big of a dump as it looks on TV?

Regardless we roll on! Looks like a bad night finally caught up with our ladies at Temple. Did outrebound and outscore Temple in the paint, but looks like they turned it over too much.

Still, not bad coming back from a 14-point halftime deficit. Not that bad of a hit in the RPI as Temple was like 30.

Hopefully they take out the frustrations on the poor little Fordham tomorrow on senior day!

Masterofreality
02-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Master, congrats on your Philly domination. I know the Palestra is historic, but is it a big of a dump as it looks on TV?

Actually, Blue Bro, it's not a dump at all. Old building? Yeah, but really well maintained. It really is cool and with the tin roof- really loud. I enjoyed it.

Let's all hope that the ladies play much better against Fordham. And Amber Harris needs to sit out. She ain't ready, in any sense.

Bigbluebrotha
03-02-2009, 06:41 AM
Nice description. I was big fan of the Gardens for the same reasons, kind of a basketball "joint."