PDA

View Full Version : Griffey to Mariners

drudy23
02-19-2009, 05:30 PM
My advice to Griffey...follow Cal Ripken Jr's path. Ripken made the decision that he would play one more season. Not necessarily to compete, but to finally have the opportunity to sit in each ballpark and soak everything in in his last year. To reminisce about his career, and truly realize how lucky he was to be a professional baseball player for so long. He said he never really had a chance to let things soak in while he was playing, so he took the last year to truly realize how lucky he was and enjoy the game and his teammates.

That, for me, is the way to go out.

So, Griff, realize that you've had an amazing ride that has come to an end. Go out with dignity.

gladdenguy
02-19-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm just glad the Reds don't have to pay that old hag.

Jumpy
02-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Signing with the M's is a sign that this is his last year. Going back to the place where he was on top of the baseball world, retiring and going into the Hall as an M. The circle of life. I'm glad for him and his choice.

On a side note, I feel bad for him playing in the era that he has. The past 15-20 years in baseball will be remembered for and tainted by steroids, yet he always stayed above it. Unfortunately, his body broke down on him and whenever people think of his career, they will wonder what if. He will forever be in the shadow of cheaters.

Fred Garvin
02-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Griffey: I got books that spend less time on the shelf.

BlueGuy
02-19-2009, 06:57 PM
So, Griff, realize that you've had an amazing ride that has come to an end. Go out with dignity.

As long as he still wants to play and someone will have him, go for it. No matter how long he plays with diminished skills, he'll still be one of the best ever to play. I think it's refreshing when these guys pretty much have to be pushed out of the game. Shows that it's not all about the money for some.

Fred Garvin
02-19-2009, 08:09 PM
As long as he still wants to play and someone will have him, go for it. No matter how long he plays with diminished skills, he'll still be one of the best ever to play. I think it's refreshing when these guys pretty much have to be pushed out of the game. Shows that it's not all about the money for some.

Especially in his case. 2 mill with incentives isn't all that compared to all the deferred compensation the Reds owe him.

Jumpy
02-19-2009, 09:01 PM
The Reds are paid in full when it comes to Jr. He is no longer on the books.

Fred Garvin
02-19-2009, 09:10 PM
The Reds are paid in full when it comes to Jr. He is no longer on the books.

What? I believe Fay said the Reds owed him $5 mill or more a year. I know they always booked him as $8 mil against his 12.5 salary.

Fred Garvin
02-19-2009, 09:26 PM
BTW, if dumpy had his way we'd be on the hook to Jermaine Dye and his 11.5 million this season. I guess our expert didn't see the market plunging.

And his buddy Juice said Bobby Abreu wouldn't except a one year deal.

He he.

The Reds need to convince the Yankees they still have problems getting to Rivera. They need to dump that horrible contract they gave Cordero and rent Nady for one year. They even save money in the short term since Nady makes $7 mil this year vs Cordero's 11 plus.

GoMuskies
02-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Congrats to Griffey.

Condolences to M's fans.