PDA

View Full Version : Cripes, Is Thor Next?

Masterofreality
02-19-2009, 06:03 AM
Another fireman arrested. Wow, stealing fire equipment and trying to sell it on e-bay? Did he really think he'd get away with it?

Other Cincy transgressions include numerous counts of drug trafficking. I hope that Thor hasn't become the supplier of another prominent poster on this board who shall remain nameless.

Say it ain't so, Thor!!

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090218/NEWS01/302180019

PM Thor
02-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Nope, not me. I honestly don't know what is going on. There are a few guys who are messing things up, but a lot of the guys have no explanation for what is happening. The drug trafficking thing involved 2 guys out of one house, one working for the other, supposedly. That one house has been a mess, with a lot of the problems coming out of there.

That's not an excuse mind you, just an explanation. My crew at my house (and my district) all seem to be pretty well adjusted. All I can do is just shake my head, go to work, and wonder who is the next guy who is going screw up the best job that there is out there. Morale is plummetting though. Nobody knows how to explain this at all.

I HATE dayton.

Smails
02-19-2009, 08:43 AM
Just out of curiosity Thor...how much $ would those items fetch? I'm interested to see if the guy ruined his career for a mere couple hundred bucks or was it big money.

Snipe
02-19-2009, 09:13 AM
Ebay has completely changed the face of business theft. It is so easy right now to sell office products online. You used to be able to put toner and printer cartridges in the supply closet. It was just about impossible for anyone to convert them into cash. Now days it is point and click and you got your money.

If you are a purchasing manager or manage your companies supplys Ebay can be very useful for you and I recommend it. But you also realize once you get on there that your employees can convert so many of your company's assets into cash quite easily. It makes the burden of taking and safeguarding inventory very high in today's business environoment.

PM Thor
02-19-2009, 09:15 AM
I believe they were used (see old) fire nozzles. Most definitely not high dollar items. At most about $200 for the best. That's what's so stupid about this, it's not like he was taking generators or something.

I HATE dayton.

ATL Muskie
02-19-2009, 09:17 AM
I blame Al Gore.

xavierj
02-19-2009, 09:20 AM
People do crazy things when they need drug money.

blobfan
02-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Nope, not me. I honestly don't know what is going on. There are a few guys who are messing things up, but a lot of the guys have no explanation for what is happening. The drug trafficking thing involved 2 guys out of one house, one working for the other, supposedly. That one house has been a mess, with a lot of the problems coming out of there.

That's not an excuse mind you, just an explanation. My crew at my house (and my district) all seem to be pretty well adjusted. All I can do is just shake my head, go to work, and wonder who is the next guy who is going screw up the best job that there is out there. Morale is plummetting though. Nobody knows how to explain this at all.

I HATE dayton.

I was wondering how compartementalized the problem is. People posting comments on the article are screaming for the chief to be reprimanded but I'd imaging the person in charge of individual shifts would have a greater impact on the behavior of individuals than the chief. Don't they run you guys through psych evals 2nd only to the FBI and Secret Service before giving you a job?

I'm sorry the department is having morale problems because of this. I hate to think the people flinging themselves into burning buildings and cutting people out of crushed cars are feeling unappreciated because 5% of their co-workers are having run-ins with the law. I wonder what the average is in my company...

PM Thor
02-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Blob, the major problem is the lack of accountability. Yeah, they used to have psych evals in our hiring process, but dropped it quite a few years ago. Obviously and for good reason they are bringing that back. The district chiefs can only do so much in regards to discipline, problem is that there is a very long and drawn out process to it, and it can easily take half a year or more to get an issue resolved. The crux of the issue is that it is virtually impossible to get fired for anything outside of a major felony, and so for a select few idiots, this gives them a sense of invincibility. Some of them get the sense that they are above the law for some asinine reason.

As for morale, I'm not concerned about public perception, and I doubt many other firefighters are either. The morale issue more concerns who you can trust on a job, back at the firehouse, because we have to work with one another for 24 hours straight, which equates to a third of our lives basically. I mean, how would anyone respond if one found out that someone you are hanging out with for a good chunk of your life may or may not be trustworthy? Oh and you have to rely on that same person to watch your back? That's where Cincy roughnecks are right now.

I HATE dayton.

gladdenguy
02-19-2009, 11:06 AM
The most important question to Thor is.....are you off today and tomorrow?
I love your schedule.

PM Thor
02-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Off yesterday and today, but on the bambulance tomorrow, which sucks. Yeah the schedule sounds great, but it can suck too. Like for the X basketball schedule I can miss a big chunk of games because of the job. Last year stunk too, had Xmas, New Years, Fourth of July, Labor day, my birfday, and a bunch of other holidays. Worst part? No snow days. Ever. 4 feet of snow? Tough, get to work.

I know, who am I kidding? I love my work.

I HATE dayton.