PDA

View Full Version : "The Day the Music Died"

XU05and07
02-03-2009, 08:24 AM
There is a thread out there about dead musicians...so this thread follows but deserves one of it's own.

50 years ago today...a small plane crashed in Iowa carrying Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper, and Richie Valens. Buddy Holly was called "the single most influential creative force in early rock and roll." Without these 3, rock and roll may be something completely different.

We all know Don McLean's "American Pie" (1972), which refers to the day that the 3 died in the plane crash as "the day the music died."

A long, long time ago...
I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And, maybe, they?d be happy for a while.

But february made me shiver
With every paper I?d deliver.
Bad news on the doorstep;
I couldn?t take one more step.

I can?t remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride,
But something touched me deep inside
The day the music died.

So bye-bye, miss american pie.
Drove my chevy to the levee,
But the levee was dry.
And them good old boys were drinkin? whiskey and rye
Singin?, "this?ll be the day that I die.
"this?ll be the day that I die."

I found this article on CNN yesterday that I thought was a very good piece. The Day the Music Died (http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/02/02/day.music.died/)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/02/HollyMonument.jpg/250px-HollyMonument.jpg

Emp
02-05-2009, 09:55 PM
I was delivering my paper route and literally read about it when I opened the bundle of papers. I didn't cry though.

I liked Buddy Holly a lot. I was still years from flying in a plane,and thought they were foolish for flying in the winter. I was a white bread suburban kid and thought the Big Bopper was a novelty act.

I did however use American Pie in my sophomore English classes to teach allusion and reference and simile and metaphor to the unwashed masses.