PDA

View Full Version : Can I get that time back?

XU-PA
01-23-2009, 05:33 AM
In need of a basketball fix, opted for UC at St Johns.

Oh god, what a completely disgusting display, double technical double ejection in the second half, UC was down by a dozen, struggled to come back over a team that couldn't shoot, couldn't make free throws, couldn't run a defense, couldn't get past a press without traveling.
St Johns was an evil vile twin of UC.
At one point with about 9 mintues left there were 4 consecutive fouls following missed free throws. Players, fans, coaches booing the refs, couldn't figure out that all 10 on the floor just plain sucked.
The highlight was when ESPN turned the play by play over to a couple of students from campus radio.
Felt like finding some tainted peanut paste products and assuming the position at the porcelain throne.
Now that's Big East Excitement!

Stonebreaker
01-25-2009, 08:08 AM
UC is going through some growing pains, but they are on the right track.

Juice
01-25-2009, 09:35 AM
UC is going through some growing pains, but they are on the right track.

I used to think that but not anymore. Biggie McClain does not even play anymore. None of their sophomores progressed from last year as freshmen. The only thing to hang their hat on is that Cashmere Wright is back next year and Vaughn can move to SG. But they only have that combo for one year before Vaughn is gone. Williams leaves, who was supposed to be their savior. I am not seeing it.

Stonebreaker
01-25-2009, 09:57 AM
I can see why you think that, as there are more than a few UC fans who think the same as you.
The lack of a pg on the whole team is a glaring weakness, on both sides of the ball. They aren't getting much penetration on offense, and allowing a lot of it defensively. Result: easier baskets for opponents, and tougher shots, less fouls drawn for UC.
Bishop is one guy who seems to be improving, but the other sophs aren't seemingly doing so, although Wilks could turn into a quality guy at some point. Remains to be seen.

What they have to hope for....Wright comes back and is as good as advertised. Dion Dixon will become consistent from outside. Yancy Gates will learn how to play D, hustle, and work on his post game...but I think he'll be very good in upcoming years. Also, if the incoming PF is good, that would give them another tool on offense, as Toyloy is sporadic at best.
Add to that Vaugn coming back for a senior year, the team is poised to improve for a third year in a row.
If they can add someone else to the mix (one of the lowly performing current sophs)...they could have a pretty solid lineup.

Then again, they could end up being a .500 team similiar to this year (at least after BE play ends).
Time will tell.

Masterofreality
01-25-2009, 11:50 AM
In need of a basketball fix, opted for UC at St Johns.
St Johns was an evil vile twin of UC.
Now that's Big East Excitement!

And that evil vile twin beat Not-re Dame.

Says a lot about Not-re Dame's team, me thinks. Ahh, but according to B-Espn, Not-re Dame is still a beast. They're just playing other "beasts" right now.

Stonebreaker
01-25-2009, 12:05 PM
ND is good, but when they play top 15 teams, their lack of scoring options hurts them if either Harangody or Kmac is off that night.

PM Thor
01-25-2009, 02:31 PM
I'll be able to tell you in person since I got invited by a bunch of Domers to go to the ND/UC game downtown on the 4th. Yes, I plan on wearing my Xavier stuff. Eff those people, I remember when they went to the KSU/X game in UC gear, I remember.

I HATE dayton.