PDA

View Full Version : Circuit City

XUfaninJAX
01-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Anyone heading out to their liquidation sale that they have going on until March? Planning on going to one today and will gladly post how the deals are if anyone is interested.

ATL Muskie
01-17-2009, 11:08 AM
They closed one here when they filed for Ch. 11 but the "deals" were not great. They had marked everything up so that when they factored in the discounts you weren't really getting a deal. And, the big ticket items never went for less than 20% off. It was a rip.

THRILLHOUSE
01-17-2009, 11:22 AM
yeah liquidations are usually a rip off. They will mark the price back up to MRSP and then take the percentage off that, not the price that CC originally had it for. So you really won't find many good deals at the CC liquidation sale. But most people don't realize this and rush out to these great "deals" and this is how the liquidators make money.

blobfan
01-17-2009, 11:41 AM
I think I'll wait until they get close to the end. I understand they might try to sell some of the stores and as that might include merchandise, they'll likely wait to really drop the prices until the bitter end. I also think if one of the stores is going to be purchased, the one near me is a prime candidate. Best Buy doesn't have a presence in central Cincinnati and might be interested in the Center of Cincinnati location. With the Target-Meijer-Sams down the street, the traffic is pretty good at that location.

Stonebreaker
01-17-2009, 12:01 PM
I never thought they did a good job at retailing, and I've been an off and on customer for about 20 years. The staff is always far too aggressive in selling, and would never let people get comfortable in their stores.

THRILLHOUSE
01-17-2009, 01:30 PM
CC deserves its fate for firing all of those employees (over 3000 IIRC) a couple of years ago because they didn't want to pay them a competitive salary.

Stonebreaker
01-17-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't pay extra to get the extended warranty. Just sayin.

XU 87
01-17-2009, 01:36 PM
The key to turning around falling revenues and increased costs is to simply increase wages across the board. Works every time.

X-band '01
01-17-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't pay extra to get the extended warranty. Just sayin.

They must make a good commission on those warranties. I don't need it for my HDTV or whatever gaming system they try to sell to me.

XUfaninJAX
01-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Just got back from CC. Everything in the store was anywhere between 10-30% off. A lot of lookers and not a whole lot of buyers (including me). Definitely expecting the prices to fall even more.

Jumpy
01-17-2009, 05:25 PM
I think I'll wait until they get close to the end. I understand they might try to sell some of the stores and as that might include merchandise, they'll likely wait to really drop the prices until the bitter end. I also think if one of the stores is going to be purchased, the one near me is a prime candidate. Best Buy doesn't have a presence in central Cincinnati and might be interested in the Center of Cincinnati location. With the Target-Meijer-Sams down the street, the traffic is pretty good at that location.

I went to that store location quite often, as it was a very convenient stop on my way home from work. A few years ago, I wouldn't have cared less that they were closing, but since I started frequenting that store, I'm kinda bumbed about the closing. It would be great if Best Buy moved in there.

Fred Garvin
01-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Atl's right about the lack of deals. I monitored this online when they first started shutting down stores. They were only giving 10% off.

They hire professional liquidators who aren't giving this stuff away. You aren't stealing an HDtv. That said, if you wait I assume you can get some deals on items like peripherals.

I wouldn't mind getting an external drive to store my music.

wkrq59
01-18-2009, 12:49 AM
Fred, If you can store music on a thumb drive you can get super bargains at Micro Center on Mosteler.:D

Jumpy
01-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Fred, If you can store music on a thumb drive you can get super bargains at Micro Center on Mosteler.:D

If you have a music library over 16 gb (about 3500-4000 songs) a thumb drive gets priced out. 32 gb drives are available, but are as expensive as external hard drives that hold way more information.

Fred, if you're looking for a good drive, I suggest the Western Digital My Book Essentials. I have two of them and they are as solid as hard drives come. I have a 500gb drive for music that has seen a lot of file transfers, reorganizing and general file movement and has never given me a problem. I also recently bought a 1tb drive to store my home videos on when I went all digital with an HDD camcorder.

The only downside to the drives that I've encountered is the need to reformat from Fat32 to NTFS. It took 3 days for my 1tb drive to reformat, which killed me because I was itching to reorganize the files stored on the other drive. If you don't reformat, you will have trouble storing files over 4gb. That sounds large, but when you consider that about 20min. of uncompressed raw video from my camcorder is 4gb, it stops seeming so big.