PDA

View Full Version : Tony Dungy Retires

nuts4xu
01-12-2009, 01:28 PM
ESPN is reporting right now. Good coach, good guy, the sport needs more guys like him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3827058

XUglow
01-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Tony says he has only said "damn" one time in his life, and it was when he said, "Best Damn Sportshow on TV". He later said that he felt so bad about saying it that he never called that show by name again.

Juice
01-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Tony says he has only said "damn" one time in his life, and it was when he said, "Best Damn Sportshow on TV". He later said that he felt so bad about saying it that he never called that show by name again.

Do him and George Grande have meetings about that?

Snipe
01-12-2009, 01:50 PM
I like and respect the man. Talk about a good guy in sports.

ATL Muskie
01-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Good man. I always had great admiration for Dungy b/c your gut reaction is to suspect that guys at that level would just walk all over someone like that. But they didn't. He always seemed to have great command of his players, in Indy and TB. That just shows you that he didn't need to be an in-your-face kind of guy like Parcells to keep control of his team. Not that there's anything wrong with the Parcells style, but Dungy proved it didn't have to be that way. Of course, in Indy it was probably made easier with a leader like Peyton Manning.

Muskie
01-12-2009, 02:36 PM
I'll miss Dungy. Somehow I don't think Jim Caldwell will be the same.

Cheesehead
01-13-2009, 09:31 AM
Someone will probably try to hire them as a studio analyst. Then there can 10 people talking at once. Seriously, how many do they need at one time on Sundays.

I like the dude, though. Hope he stays retired an enjoys his family.

Kahns Krazy
01-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Anytime a guy is financially successful and says "I have enough, I'm going to parlay that into my life calling" is pretty awesome. I hope to find out someday that I have that kind of integrity.

GuyFawkes38
01-15-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm kind of sick of everyone praising him and I'm glad he's out of the league so I don't have to hear it as much.

Billy
01-16-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm kind of sick of everyone praising him and I'm glad he's out of the league so I don't have to hear it as much.

I'm a huge Colts fan, and even I kind of agree with getting sick of all the incessant admiration for him. Not that Dungy's isn't a good guy...he certainly is. But occasionally, the Colts org's self-righteousness gets to be a little too much. Between Dungy, Irsay, Polian, and Lamey (Polian's the only one in the bunch who is remotely close to being a jerk), it's enough to make one vomit after it reaches a certain level.

But I suppose I'd rather have this problem, than the problems more commonly found within One Paul Brown Stadium.

Yep, I'm pretty sure of that. Five 12-win seasons in a row...not shabby.