PDA

View Full Version : Tip the friggin' pizza guy!!!!!!

xavierdude
01-07-2009, 10:24 PM
:mad::mad:That is all :mad::mad:

Smooth
01-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Get a real job!!

Are you guys hiring?

xavierdude
01-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Get a real job!!

Are you guys hiring?

working on it...whenever i'm not working. Gotta take a civil service test for an accounting position with Cincinnati Public School on Monday. People are telling me to not even show up, unless I turn a different skin color overnight.

And no, I don't think we're hiring ;)

Smooth
01-07-2009, 10:52 PM
I've passed all my tests and interviews and cleared 90% of the bureaucratic hurdles and still have no idea when I will get my city job.

I can't afford to tip the pizza guy............so I don't order.

Good luck. Try the tanning place at Carthage and Lawn.

XU05and07
01-07-2009, 11:02 PM
:mad::mad:That is all :mad::mad:

oh...that was you?

PM Thor
01-08-2009, 12:37 AM
I've passed all my tests and interviews and cleared 90% of the bureaucratic hurdles and still have no idea when I will get my city job.

I can't afford to tip the pizza guy............so I don't order.

Good luck. Try the tanning place at Carthage and Lawn.

Quite literally it took me right about a year. The system is totally messed up.

I HATE dayton.

nuts4xu
01-08-2009, 06:34 AM
As a one time pizza delivery guy, I always tip the guy a few bucks.

That was a long time ago. What do you guys find acceptable nowadays?

Smails
01-08-2009, 07:09 AM

It depends on the delivery guy for me. If it's a young college kid, I'll throw him 2 bucks, but if it's a guy/gal in their 30's 40's I usually go 3-5 bucks. It's brutal out there right now and I'm thrilled just to have a job, and I can tell there are a lot of people my age who are taking second jobs to supplement their income or simply pay the bills. They get more from me.

XU05and07
01-08-2009, 08:11 AM

I treat the transaction like I was at a restaurant...20%

XUglow
01-08-2009, 08:17 AM
I do 20-25%.

xavierdude
01-08-2009, 08:40 AM
What do you guys find acceptable nowadays?

I like to finish my shift with a 10% tip on average. But that's just a goal. I should expect more from society :rolleyes: Anyone who tips less than 10% is just greedy. But if you only have a 10 dollar order, you should still tip 2 bucks. There is an unwritten "minimum" that you should tip.

tipthepizzaguy.com is a fun site to browse. You'll read a lot of fun and crazy stories. And they answer a lot of questions customers have about delivery charges, minimum tips, percentage tips, etc.

It's very annoying to not get a tip. we're using our own cars, gas, etc...and get paid minimum wage. I'm not looking for a pity party, but more of an awareness. Kinda like the "that's so gay" awarenesss messages :)

Edit: Plus i deliver in norwood (and surrounding areas: bond hill, golf manor, pleasant ridge, avondale, st bernard), so anticipating big tips is rare. Oh, and that also means I deliver to X b-ball players. I'll keep their tipping habits confidential, as I want you guys to still like them :)

XU05and07
01-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Edit: Plus i deliver in norwood (and surrounding areas: bond hill, golf manor, pleasant ridge, avondale, st bernard), so anticipating big tips is rare. Oh, and that also means I deliver to X b-ball players. I'll keep their tipping habits confidential, as I want you guys to still like them :)

Transfer out to Kenwood, Indian Hill, Sycamore Township, Silverton, Blue Ash, etc...I see more LaRosa's (I'm guessing from the avatar) and other pizza delivery cars than I did when I lived in Norwood...and it sounds like we are better tippers

nuts4xu
01-08-2009, 09:03 AM
I don't think I have given a pizza guy less than $3 since I left that job. My order is between $10-$20 usually, so it sounds like I am ok.

Never understood why people would stiff the pizza guy. Figure it in to the price of the food and it is still worth the expense. I mean seriously, your lazy ass didn't have to leave your living room to get fed and that isn't worth a couple of bucks to the guy who drove 15 minutes to bring you dinner?

That is worth the cost of a tip to me and I try to be generous.

xavierdude
01-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Transfer out to Kenwood, Indian Hill, Sycamore Township, Silverton, Blue Ash, etc...I see more LaRosa's (I'm guessing from the avatar) and other pizza delivery cars than I did when I lived in Norwood...and it sounds like we are better tippers

i thought about going to the hyde park Larosas. i know the gm there and a couple drivers, who say tips are a lot better. but i dont want to learn another area of streets. im looking to advance my professional career, not my pizza career :)

xavierdude
01-08-2009, 09:48 AM
I don't think I have given a pizza guy less than $3 since I left that job. My order is between $10-$20 usually, so it sounds like I am ok.

Never understood why people would stiff the pizza guy. Figure it in to the price of the food and it is still worth the expense. I mean seriously, your lazy ass didn't have to leave your living room to get fed and that isn't worth a couple of bucks to the guy who drove 15 minutes to bring you dinner?

That is worth the cost of a tip to me and I try to be generous.

ya. thats a good tip from my point of view.

MADXSTER
01-08-2009, 10:04 AM
People are telling me to not even show up, unless I turn a different skin color overnight.

If you can't change skin color, then tell them you're gay. They need all the happy people they can get.

pickledpigsfeet
01-08-2009, 10:07 AM
I normally tip 20% or more but I know a lot of people get confused when they see or hear the $1.50 delivery charge or whatever it is. Some people figure that's the tip or at least part of it.

MADXSTER
01-08-2009, 10:12 AM
I usually do the 15-20% range.

xuwin
01-08-2009, 10:16 AM
I normally tip 20% or more but I know a lot of people get confused when they see or hear the $1.50 delivery charge or whatever it is. Some people figure that's the tip or at least part of it.

Who gets the money from the delivery charge? I thought that was to guarantee against the non tippers so the delivery guy didn't get stiffed.

xavierdude
01-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Who gets the money from the delivery charge? I thought that was to guarantee against the non tippers so the delivery guy didn't get stiffed.

i asked a manager. they said it goes towards an insurance they pay for having delivery drivers. also, we get a 6 percent commission that is supposed to go towards gas, car maintenance, etc. so there are some people that think thats all a delivery driver should be reimbursed for and not the fact that this is a convenience for them. and they dont undertand that when they only order ten bucks worth of food, we only get 60 cents. so we lose money on those types of deliveries. aaa has statistics on how much it costs to drive a car i mile. its expensive for the average driver. but when you factor in city driving, its alot harder on the cars. i averaged 33 mpg going to virginia. driving pizzas i average 18 to 20.

Kahns Krazy
01-08-2009, 12:53 PM
I worked for a pizza place that did not have a delivery charge, but we didn't have a dine-in area either.

I think the delivery charge is crap. The insurance thing is crap. They have insurance for the dining room too, there's not a separate 'dining in' charge. If you were dining in, and there was a "waitress charge" on your bill, would you tip again above and beyond that?

If you want to offer delivery as a service, factor your costs into the price of your product based on your average mix of sales. I really think LaRosas does their delivery divers a disservice by tacking on a delivery charge.

Regardless, tip your delivery driver or go pick the damn thing up yourself.

blobfan
01-08-2009, 12:59 PM
I've heard of low tippers but what jerk doesn't tip the pizza guy, if only a buck or two? I used to wait tables at a cheap restaurant so I feel your pain. I went out to eat with a friend once and she said she didn't have enough money to pay the tip so rather than order a smaller meal, she just stiffed the person. Hell, I even tip at buffets where all they do is bring me a drink and clear my dish. I figure $1 should be the per person minimum if someone is clearing your dishes for you.

I am sorry but I count the delivery charge in my 15-20% and that's not going to change. I tip on the price of the meal, not the price plus taxes and surcharges, and that goes for sit-down meals as well. But we're lovers of leftovers in my house so we tend to place large orders. And LaRosa's propensity to screw up the order (we never seem to get the right sauces) makes me a little less generous than I might otherwise be. I do add hazard pay to my tips though. If it's really cold, wet or otherwise inclement weather and I won't drag my lazy butt outside long enough to get the mail, the pizza guy deserves 20%. Minimum.

Smails
01-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Xavierdude...what's a good night, tip-wise? Total $

Kahns Krazy
01-08-2009, 01:11 PM
I am sorry but I count the delivery charge in my 15-20% and that's not going to change. .

I think a lot of people feel this way, and I don't think they are wrong to do so. If the establishment is going to charge a delivery fee and not give it to the driver, I think they should be very clear about that to the customer. Mostly, though, I don't think they should be charging a fee.

ATL Muskie
01-08-2009, 01:34 PM
I've become somewhat of a pizza snob and usually go to a parlor and pick up a decent pie. I haven't had a pizza delivered in about 6 years. I think the chain pizza places that deliver are crap. Pappa John's is God awful. Domino's got old b/c I ate too much of it at X. I just go to a place down the road and pick it up now.

PM Thor
01-08-2009, 01:47 PM
I have discovered how to make a good homemade pizza, plus it's kind of fun to do it and you never have to worry if they get the order right or not.

Plus I love taking those crappy Totinos pizzas, adding my own toppings and cheese, and making that for myself. Sheer joy for the single guy after a night of debauching.

As for tipping, being an ex bartender, I always tip way too much, pizza guy always gets a fiver on a twenty dolla bill yo....

I HATE dayton.

MADXSTER
01-08-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm not a snob. I love all pie. Some are better than others. Some have a better presentation. I love my pie hot or cold. I love my pie saucy or dry. I love my pie whether it is expensive or cheap. I love my pie at home, in the office, or just out and about. Sometimes you add stuff to make it better. I could not live without my pie. It gives me that satisfiying feeling that all is right with the world. When it's a pizza girl and she gives me the pie she'll get my tip all right.

Pie is a good thing. You can divide it and split it. You can share it or keep it for yourself. Sometimes you wake up with it and wonder where the hell it came from and how the hell you got it.

I like boxes too.

The Artist
01-08-2009, 02:34 PM
I've become somewhat of a pizza snob and usually go to a parlor and pick up a decent pie. I haven't had a pizza delivered in about 6 years. I think the chain pizza places that deliver are crap. Pappa John's is God awful. Domino's got old b/c I ate too much of it at X. I just go to a place down the road and pick it up now.

It's tough to find places like that in Ohio, which was actually perhaps the biggest cultural adjustment after my family moved from the New York City area. We would literally get about 5 meals a week from "Gino's Bon Appetito". It was unreal how good it is compared to midwest pizza, including the Chicago deep dish bullshit.

It's been about 10ish years, and I have yet to find anything that even borderlines close to what I once considered "good". I guess Dewey's is probably as close as it gets.

I need a slice of pizza that is fold-able and has grease falling off the tip.

Smails
01-08-2009, 02:48 PM
It's tough to find places like that in Ohio, which was actually perhaps the biggest cultural adjustment after my family moved from the New York City area. We would literally get about 5 meals a week from "Gino's Bon Appetito". It was unreal how good it is compared to midwest pizza, including the Chicago deep dish bullshit.

It's been about 10ish years, and I have yet to find anything that even borderlines close to what I once considered "good". I guess Dewey's is probably as close as it gets.

My in laws are 2nd generation off-the boat Eyetalians. NYC born and reaised There are 2 places in West Chester that they swear by: Fratellis (corner of Tylersville and Cin-Day) and Aponte's on Rt 42. Check em out.

The Artist
01-08-2009, 03:16 PM
My in laws are 2nd generation off-the boat Eyetalians. NYC born and reaised There are 2 places in West Chester that they swear by: Fratellis (corner of Tylersville and Cin-Day) and Aponte's on Rt 42. Check em out.

Will do, thanks. I think I've heard of Fratellis, haven't heard of the other one.

I work in Fairfield so I'll make a nice excursion soon.

XU05and07
01-08-2009, 03:22 PM

He's not answering because he doesn't want the IRS to audit him and say that he is improperly reporting his tips...they read this board, too

xavierdude
01-08-2009, 03:26 PM
I think the delivery charge is crap. The insurance thing is crap. They have insurance for the dining room too, there's not a separate 'dining in' charge. If you were dining in, and there was a "waitress charge" on your bill, would you tip again above and beyond that?

If you want to offer delivery as a service, factor your costs into the price of your product based on your average mix of sales. I really think LaRosas does their delivery divers a disservice by tacking on a delivery charge.

Regardless, tip your delivery driver or go pick the damn thing up yourself.

Exactly how I feel.

Hmmm. LIke everything else in the world, it depends :). Weekends in the winter (especially if it's snowy) 60-70 bucks for an 8 hour shift. Weekdays probably 30 bucks. I did 30 bucks today from 10-4. 50 bucks yesterday from 4-11....decent night; but a lot of stiffs.

To have a decent shift, you have to hope you find those high tippers to scratch out the stiffers.

But to sum up...no, pizza driving is not hard. Ya, we gotta do dishes, sweep, mop, stock, etc. but it's not a steel factory type of job by no means. Although what (or who) does suck is the people that stiff are usually the ones that complain the most. And then I have to go back to their house to replace food they said was wrong, cold, raw, etc. I have had only one legitimate mistake in the last year. And before that, probably only a couple. If we make a mistake as a driver (don't check the order, forget something, etc.), we lose our commission. That's enough incentive for me to make sure I don't make a mistake :D

Kahns Krazy
01-08-2009, 04:26 PM

I've never had it, so don't pin this on me, but I've heard that the ex-new-york crowd likes Balboas downtown. Not sure how that fits in to working in fairfield for you... just passing it along.

The Artist
01-08-2009, 10:01 PM
I've never had it, so don't pin this on me, but I've heard that the ex-new-york crowd likes Balboas downtown. Not sure how that fits in to working in fairfield for you... just passing it along.

Cool, I'll have to try that too. I live in Mount Lookout, so I'm flexible in terms of food locations.

Kahns Krazy
01-20-2009, 12:30 PM
The other day, I made a pizza with some from-the-pouch crust mix
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51TF5R4SFDL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-24,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

Some from the bottle pizza sauce
http://www.groceries-express.com/images/20000%5C24000%5C34616%5C2400034616CF.GIF

Some fresh mozzarella

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31AVKMD6CQL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

And some regular hormel pepperoni.
http://www.boodle.com/WeeklyFeed/14429159.gif

i really wasn't expecting much, but it turned out really tasty. I think it was the fresh mozzarella. It gave the pizza a slightly sweet flavor that I wasn't expecting.

I did not tip the delivery guy.

xavierdude
01-20-2009, 02:10 PM
screw you kahns. Haha

blobfan
01-21-2009, 10:27 PM
The other day, I made a pizza with some from-the-pouch crust mix

Some from the bottle pizza sauce

Some fresh mozzarella

And some regular hormel pepperoni.

i really wasn't expecting much, but it turned out really tasty. I think it was the fresh mozzarella. It gave the pizza a slightly sweet flavor that I wasn't expecting.

I did not tip the delivery guy.

It was absolutely the fresh cheese. You can put all kinds of mediocre crap on a pizza but the it's the cheese that'll make or break it.

Strange Brew
01-22-2009, 11:15 PM
He's not answering because he doesn't want the IRS to audit him and say that he is improperly reporting his tips...they read this board, too

Maybe he is hoping to be named the next Secretary of the Treasury.

On topic, I LOATHE people who do not tip. I always give a min of 20% even if the service is awful.

American X
01-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Kahn's Krazy thinks this tipping automatically is for the birds.

http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:SwJlnsPrdbaZwM:http://www.s-cnet.ne.jp/~scn01448/buscemiwk/images/mr.pink.jpg

The Artist
01-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Maybe he is hoping to be named the next Secretary of the Treasury.

On topic, I LOATHE people who do not tip. I always give a min of 20% even if the service is awful.

Agreed. I know somebody who doesn't tip well AT ALL, and my brother and I always have to stage something - like leaving a coat behind, so that we can leave the server more money.

Fred Garvin
01-23-2009, 09:18 AM
Agreed. I know somebody who doesn't tip well AT ALL, and my brother and I always have to stage something - like leaving a coat behind, so that we can leave the server more money.

Ha, covert tipping. There is a "Curb your Enthusiam" where Larry David goes back and adds to a tip. Wanda Sykes calls him a "tip fixer. Gotta fix the tip of the black man."

Fred Garvin
01-24-2009, 02:04 PM
I drove for the Madeira Dominos when I was at X. I was working and listened to Jack Buck and Johnny homo do the radio for the Reds 1990 sweep of the A's.

The worst part of that job, aside from the unies(think Judge Reinhold in Fast Times), was when it was slow they'd make you stand outside with a sign for the drivers-by. That was humiliating. I know the Michelin on Kenwood makes a guy stand outside as the Michelin Man but at least he's incognito.

Wait, that's not the Michelin Man; that's where Snipe's Metro stops. Striking resemblance.

94GRAD
01-24-2009, 02:38 PM

You should call them out on it. Unfortunately, some people dont know any better.

Strange Brew
01-24-2009, 07:07 PM
'94, do you guys still post: "Big tipper of the week" on the chalkboard at the bar? That always cracked me up.

While clever, it doesn't beat what my Dad used to tell me that old man Delaney did, that is post bad checks on a bulletin board.

Stonebreaker
01-25-2009, 08:06 AM
Someone I know is a server/bartender, and she's always saying tip your person 20 percent. I just laugh, as I always thought the baseline was 15...and it can go up OR down depending upon quality of service.

Kahns Krazy
01-26-2009, 05:52 PM
Tipping 20% for bad service is stupid. I have been known to leave 1 cent when it is very bad service. I want to make sure they know I didn't just forget. Normally I will ask to speak to a manager and explain my tip to the manager.

Good service can also get well above 20% from me. And of course if I'm somewhere where a waitress or bartender is comping me anything, my tip can be 80-120% of the total bill.

Kahns Krazy
01-26-2009, 05:53 PM
'94, do you guys still post: "Big tipper of the week" on the chalkboard at the bar? That always cracked me up.

While clever, it doesn't beat what my Dad used to tell me that old man Delaney did, that is post bad checks on a bulletin board.

You've never seen a bad check board? It's not that uncommon.

Fred Garvin
01-26-2009, 05:58 PM
I wonder if Kahn's is going to use this opportunity to recycle his letter to the editor on tipping.

Fred Garvin
01-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Also, I might tip a few tonight.

xavierdude
01-27-2009, 07:10 AM
TIP THE PIZZA GUY 50% the next few days. I have to work today, wednesday, thursday, and saturday. It's gonna be a mess. Pray for me :-/

Jumpy
01-27-2009, 07:36 AM
Don't you need a license to legally panhandle?

xavierdude
01-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Ive made 1 dollar on 8 of my 15 deliveries so far today. im not a racist, but its people of a different color. it sucks bad. the NERVE!!

drudy23
02-04-2009, 01:56 PM
OK...someone has to be honest...I give a buck.

Servers in a restaurant...I tip just fine. But someone that walks my pizza to my door...$1...why do they deserve more than that? For what? They already charged me for the pizza I'm eating AND the delivery.

Also, when you get acrryout at a restaurant, why do they deserve to be tipped? They made the food I paid for...isn't that what I'm paying for? What do they deserve a tip for?

xuwin
02-04-2009, 03:01 PM

Servers in a restaurant...I tip just fine. But someone that walks my pizza to my door...$1...why do they deserve more than that? For what? They already charged me for the pizza I'm eating AND the delivery.

Also, when you get acrryout at a restaurant, why do they deserve to be tipped? They made the food I paid for...isn't that what I'm paying for? What do they deserve a tip for?

Putting tip jars on the counter by the cash register for people that provide you no other service than ringing up your purchase is getting to be common practice. I do not put money in those jars. That is crossing the line IMO.

Kahns Krazy
02-04-2009, 03:55 PM

What do you think servers in a restaurant do? They walk your food from one place to another. From that standpoint, your pizza delivery driver does a lot more, including spending money on his or her car so that you don't have to.

For me, pickup depends on the type of place. I don't get a lot of carry out. When I get it at Zips, for example, I tip the bartender. That's also because I know all the bartenders and they serve me drinks far more often than I get carryout.

If I pick up at a pizza place, I never tip. Sometimes I tip at McDonalds. I like to confuse dumb people.

boozehound
02-04-2009, 05:17 PM

You can't be serious. How is somebody driving the pizza to your house (in their own car, it's not like it's a company car!) and walking it to your door markedly different from what a server in a restaurant does.

My usual pizza order is $20 - $25 and I tip 5 bucks.

drudy23
02-04-2009, 07:33 PM
You can't be serious. How is somebody driving the pizza to your house (in their own car, it's not like it's a company car!) and walking it to your door markedly different from what a server in a restaurant does.

My usual pizza order is $20 - $25 and I tip 5 bucks.

I can't be serious? There's no difference between a pizza delivery guy and a server? C'mon man...that's just stupid.

It's not like they're not getting paid mileage for using their car.

The next time you sit down at a restaurant, tell your server that they do as much as a pizza delivery guy, and see the looks you get.

A server caters to your every need when you're out to eat...a pizza delivery guy walks to your door...oh yeah, and drives there....yeah, that's the same.

The Artist
02-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Typical drudy thread. Hey drudy, how about you come to my house right now? After all, all you have to do is walk to the door.

Kahns Krazy
02-04-2009, 08:29 PM
I can't be serious? There's no difference between a pizza delivery guy and a server? C'mon man...that's just stupid.

Actually, it's exactly like that. I don't know of a single pizza place that pays mileage.

You sir, are an asshat.

I once knew a pizza delivery driver that had some serious emotional problems. There were rumors that he had pleasured himself onto a pizza. I hope it was yours.

PMI
02-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Drudy eats stuffed crust pizza.

drudy23
02-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Actually, it's exactly like that. I don't know of a single pizza place that pays mileage.

You sir, are an asshat.

I once knew a pizza delivery driver that had some serious emotional problems. There were rumors that he had pleasured himself onto a pizza. I hope it was yours.

Do some research on any of the national pizza chains, and you'll find that they DO pay mileage reimbursement. So your comment of "I don't know of a single pizza place that pays mileage" is absurd.

Why stop at pizza delivery guys? Do you give the bathroom attendent a tip after you piss? Do you tip the McDonalds lady that takes your order? Do you tip the guy at Penn Station that walks your cheesesteak to you when you eat in? I have never once seen a tip on the tables at Penn Station and they do the same thing that pizza delivery guys do...they bring you your food.

Tips are earned....they're not handouts. But we're called cheap for having some standards of earning your money. There's no reason for me to give a couple of bucks to someone who hands me a paper towel after I wash my hands in a dirty old bar bathroom...that's freakin nuts, and frankly, kind of weird.

boozehound
02-04-2009, 09:40 PM

The next time you sit down at a restaurant, tell your server that they do as much as a pizza delivery guy, and see the looks you get.

A server caters to your every need when you're out to eat...a pizza delivery guy walks to your door...oh yeah, and drives there....yeah, that's the same.

Kahns is right. You are a complete and total asshat. A World class asshat. King of the asshats, even.

You know what, I have known people who have delivered pizza, so I am familiar with how that works. I also worked as a waiter for several years while in college, so your presumption that I am not familiar with the many intricacies of a server's job is, in a word, wrong. I stand by my statement. In most cases the total time a server spends on your table is probably less than it takes the pizza guy to drive to your house and deliver the pizza to your cheap ass.

I'll bet that your also the kind of guy that thinks 15% is a good tip for a server / bartender.

Pizza delivery guys are just like servers in that there is an expectation that you will tip them, so they make far less than they otherwise would on an hourly basis.

xavierdude
02-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Let's say we go by AAA's cost per mile figures (link (http://www.pimall.com/nais/nl/n.costpermile.html)). If you're too lazy to click the link, it says it's 62 cents per mile to operate a midsize car. And i'll have you know that it's much more expensive to operate a car driving pizzas. Constant stop and go.

Now...let's say you live a mile and a half away from the store, it's 3 miles round trip for the driver. So it costs almost 2 dollars to deliver your pizza. Now, at my store, they charge the customer a 2.00 dollar delivery charge. We get paid a mileage commission of 6% on the sales. So if your bill was 20 dollars (actually only 18, since we don't get paid commission on the delivery charge), the driver is getting $1.20 from the store. So it cost the driver MORE to deliver to you then we are being reimbursed.

Now...let's go to the "server" argument. We, as drivers, get paid minimum wage (7.30/hr). We are expected to work just as much as any other employee in the store. We wash dishes all day and close dishes. WE stock. we prepare the doughs for the next day. We clean the parking lot, etc. The servers aren't expected to do anything near the amount of work the drivers do. Aside from their serving duties (delivering the food, refills, etc.), they only have to setup the salad bar and take out their own trash (which we usually end up doing). The only way we end up making more then minimum wage is by people that tip. The mileage commission, on average, breaks even with the cost per mile. So we're getting paid minimum wage without a tip, doing the "crap work" that no one else wants to do since we are perceived to be the most paid employees in the store. Although the store is only paying us minimum wage!!!

You can believe what you want. But I'm telling you, tipping a dollar should automatically make you wait longer for your pizza. I know if I have three orders, I go to the people I KNOW will tip me first. I could care less about the people who don't. That does NOT mean I mess with their food (spit, drop on the ground,etc), as I try to live by the Golden Rule. I don't respect people that do not tip. I think they are lower then the dirt on my shoes.

If you'd like more answers, go to www.tipthepizzaguy.com (http://tipthepizzaguy.com)

Kahns Krazy
02-04-2009, 11:57 PM
You get standard minimum wage? When I was delivering pizzas, I made the "tipping" minimum wage, which is substantially less. My recollection was that minimum wage at the time was $4.75 and I was making $2.01 per hour. We got paid a commission, but it was an incentive tool, not a mileage reimbursement. Maybe the big guys do it now because the technology is available, but when I was in the business (1994), nobody paid mileage simply because it would be impossible to calculate. I still doubt that anyone actually pays a mileage based reimbursement, but I suppose it's possible.

I didn't mind the job. I liked it because I could bust my ass and make more, or just take my time, but it cost me.

D-West & PO-Z
02-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Let's say we go by AAA's cost per mile figures (link (http://www.pimall.com/nais/nl/n.costpermile.html)). If you're too lazy to click the link, it says it's 62 cents per mile to operate a midsize car. And i'll have you know that it's much more expensive to operate a car driving pizzas. Constant stop and go.

Now...let's say you live a mile and a half away from the store, it's 3 miles round trip for the driver. So it costs almost 2 dollars to deliver your pizza. Now, at my store, they charge the customer a 2.00 dollar delivery charge. We get paid a mileage commission of 6% on the sales. So if your bill was 20 dollars (actually only 18, since we don't get paid commission on the delivery charge), the driver is getting $1.20 from the store. So it cost the driver MORE to deliver to you then we are being reimbursed.

Now...let's go to the "server" argument. We, as drivers, get paid minimum wage (7.30/hr). We are expected to work just as much as any other employee in the store. We wash dishes all day and close dishes. WE stock. we prepare the doughs for the next day. We clean the parking lot, etc. The servers aren't expected to do anything near the amount of work the drivers do. Aside from their serving duties (delivering the food, refills, etc.), they only have to setup the salad bar and take out their own trash (which we usually end up doing). The only way we end up making more then minimum wage is by people that tip. The mileage commission, on average, breaks even with the cost per mile. So we're getting paid minimum wage without a tip, doing the "crap work" that no one else wants to do since we are perceived to be the most paid employees in the store. Although the store is only paying us minimum wage!!!

You can believe what you want. But I'm telling you, tipping a dollar should automatically make you wait longer for your pizza. I know if I have three orders, I go to the people I KNOW will tip me first. I could care less about the people who don't. That does NOT mean I mess with their food (spit, drop on the ground,etc), as I try to live by the Golden Rule. I don't respect people that do not tip. I think they are lower then the dirt on my shoes.

If you'd like more answers, go to www.tipthepizzaguy.com (http://tipthepizzaguy.com)

You get standard minimum wage? When I was delivering pizzas, I made the "tipping" minimum wage, which is substantially less. My recollection was that minimum wage at the time was $4.75 and I was making $2.01 per hour. We got paid a commission, but it was an incentive tool, not a mileage reimbursement. Maybe the big guys do it now because the technology is available, but when I was in the business (1994), nobody paid mileage simply because it would be impossible to calculate. I still doubt that anyone actually pays a mileage based reimbursement, but I suppose it's possible.
I didn't mind the job. I liked it because I could bust my ass and make more, or just take my time, but it cost me.

Well since xavierdude just confirmed it I would say its more than possible.

PM Thor
02-05-2009, 12:38 AM
Ok, ok, let's be honest here. We need to ask the professionals who are doing this after college. Where are the dayton players who can tell us how it really is?

I HATE dayton.

Kahns Krazy
02-05-2009, 06:26 AM
Well since xavierdude just confirmed it I would say its more than possible.

No, he said he gets 6% of sales as a commission. If it's not based on how many miles he drives, it's not mileage. Do Circuit City floor salespeople get paid "mileage" because they earn commissions on sales? If he makes the same commission for a 1 mile delivery as a 15 mile delivery, it's not mileage. If he makes twice as much for delivering 2 pizzas to one house as 1 pizza, it's not mileage.

Moreover, I doubt that commission doubled when gas prices doubled.

drudy23
02-05-2009, 06:33 AM
Kahns is right. You are a complete and total asshat. A World class asshat. King of the asshats, even.

You know what, I have known people who have delivered pizza, so I am familiar with how that works. I also worked as a waiter for several years while in college, so your presumption that I am not familiar with the many intricacies of a server's job is, in a word, wrong. I stand by my statement. In most cases the total time a server spends on your table is probably less than it takes the pizza guy to drive to your house and deliver the pizza to your cheap ass.

I'll bet that your also the kind of guy that thinks 15% is a good tip for a server / bartender.

Pizza delivery guys are just like servers in that there is an expectation that you will tip them, so they make far less than they otherwise would on an hourly basis.

And you look like you eat most, if not all, of the $25 orders that are delivered to you. Actually, I concede...LOOKS like you know ALOT more about this than me.

xavierdude
02-05-2009, 08:52 AM
No, he said he gets 6% of sales as a commission. If it's not based on how many miles he drives, it's not mileage. Do Circuit City floor salespeople get paid "mileage" because they earn commissions on sales? If he makes the same commission for a 1 mile delivery as a 15 mile delivery, it's not mileage. If he makes twice as much for delivering 2 pizzas to one house as 1 pizza, it's not mileage.

Moreover, I doubt that commission doubled when gas prices doubled.

Exactly, Kahns. It's not a commission on miles driven; rather, only on the sales. They just call it mileage reimbursement for tax reasons.

oh, when the gas did go up, the commission did not even close to double :). It did get up to 6.75% at one point; but since prices have gone down, and minimum wage has gone up, they lowered it back down.

boozehound
02-05-2009, 03:02 PM
And you look like you eat most, if not all, of the $25 orders that are delivered to you. Actually, I concede...LOOKS like you know ALOT more about this than me.

It's easy to talk like that on the internet. I doubt that you would say that to my face.

Either way, I'm glad to see that you have completely just given up arguing your point, and are just making personal attacks based on my physical appearance now.

drudy23
02-05-2009, 03:14 PM
It's easy to talk like that on the internet. I doubt that you would say that to my face.

Either way, I'm glad to see that you have completely just given up arguing your point, and are just making personal attacks based on my physical appearance now.

Actually, I probably would.

But anyway, you started the name calling...na na na na na...poopie head.

It's the house of smack...go hard or go home.

Kahns Krazy
02-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Actually, asshat, I started it.

MHettel
02-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Amazing that a post about tipping the pizza guys has stayed mostly on target, and has lasted for weeks with 70+ responses.

I tip the Pizza guy on a graduated scale. the bigger the order, the smaller the percentage.

for a single Pizza ($15), I'd give 3 bucks. For a couple pizzas ($25), it's more like $4. If i'm hosting something and get many pizza's it's basically like an additional dollar per pizza. 5-6 pizza's for a poker party could yield $10.

to be honest, at that point the effort expended by the driver is exactly the same, whether it's one pizza or 6, right?

drudy23
02-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Actually, asshat, I started it.

Good point...but you don't have a pic that I can make fun of.

Just some good natured ribbing...don't take it personal.

Glenn Quagmire
02-05-2009, 05:39 PM
First off, chances are not good that you will receive a tip if you deliver to a last name of a dead president or any color.

Second, nobody does more work than the pizza delivery guy at a pizza place.

I have never seen server have rocks thrown at him/her, had a gun pulled on him/her, had their car stolen, been beat up for a $15 pizza.

Every time the pizza guy leaves the store, they take their life into their own hands. Consider what we make hazard pay.

Having said that when I worked at Larosa's, I made pretty damn good money. 6.00% commission, $7.00 an hour, plus I usually averaged 10% in tips. During shifts in which I closed, I typically made $650 in deliveries and religously took home no less than $100 bucks all under the table.

I averaged 10% in tips but that takes into account all the dead presidents, so if you're a tipper please tip at least 20% and your pizza will be there hot and fast (that's what she said)...

D-West & PO-Z
02-05-2009, 06:51 PM
First off, chances are not good that you will receive a tip if you deliver to a last name of a dead president or any color.

Second, nobody does more work than the pizza delivery guy at a pizza place.

I have never seen server have rocks thrown at him/her, had a gun pulled on him/her, had their car stolen, been beat up for a $15 pizza.

Every time the pizza guy leaves the store, they take their life into their own hands. Consider what we make hazard pay.

Having said that when I worked at Larosa's, I made pretty damn good money. 6.00% commission, $7.00 an hour, plus I usually averaged 10% in tips. During shifts in which I closed, I typically made $650 in deliveries and religously took home no less than $100 bucks all under the table.

I averaged 10% in tips but that takes into account all the dead presidents, so if you're a tipper please tip at least 20% and your pizza will be there hot and fast (that's what she said)...

If thats really what you face.....Get a new job! I know you dont work there anymore but just sayin'

boozehound
02-06-2009, 06:40 AM
Good point...but you don't have a pic that I can make fun of.

Just some good natured ribbing...don't take it personal.

That's beyond good natured ribbing.

FYI, I have a picture as my avatar because I'm not trying to create some online persona in which no one knows who I am so that I can act like a total asshat behind the safety and anonymity of my keyboard.

xeus
02-06-2009, 06:55 AM
"My doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression - along with a lot of pizzas!"

Tardy Turtle
02-06-2009, 07:12 AM
some online persona in which no one knows who I am so that I can act like a total asshat behind the safety and anonymity of my keyboard.

That's pretty much the point of the interwebs.

drudy23
02-06-2009, 07:42 AM
I'm not trying to create some online persona in which no one knows who I am so that I can act like a total asshat behind the safety and anonymity of my keyboard.

I am........

If you can't take the smack, get the hell off the board.

There's no complaining in the house of smack.