PDA

View Full Version : I Hate St. Louis

Cheesehead
01-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Because I'm still not sure after all these years, what the hell is a Billiken?

They copied our beloved Cintas Center and Tommy and Pat have been there for 6 years.

MuskieMark
01-07-2009, 01:15 PM
i almost went to slu over xavier..i think i made the right choice

BBC 08
01-07-2009, 01:22 PM
I honestly wonder how many recent students and grads of Xavier chose X over SLU? I mainly ask this because my college choice for me came down to X and SLU and a few other friends of mine who graduated in 08 with me made the choice, X over SLU.

XUOHTX
01-07-2009, 01:31 PM
The only two schools I applied to was X and SLU, got the same scholarship from both so I chose the superior school.

The Artist
01-07-2009, 01:34 PM
I honestly wonder how many recent students and grads of Xavier chose X over SLU? I mainly ask this because my college choice for me came down to X and SLU and a few other friends of mine who graduated in 08 with me made the choice, X over SLU.

I would guess the number is close to the number of students at X from the Saint Louis area.

STL_XUfan
01-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Same scholarship and I picked X (I think that it had more to do with the fact that both my parents work within 1 mile of SLU then anything else).

muckem muckem
01-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Cheese, a few years ago a representative of St. Louie said that a Billiken was a bank promo from like the 1930's. I wouldn't bet my life on it, but it sounds as good as anything else.

mohr5150
01-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Here's your answer to what a Biliken is:

http://www.slu.edu/readstory/more/699

DC Muskie
01-07-2009, 02:03 PM
I didn't have any scholarship offers from anyone, anywhere. And I choose Xavier. I didn't even consider SLU. Take that Tommy and Pat!

XUOWNSUC
01-07-2009, 02:18 PM
I just recently moved to St. Louis from Cincinnati so here are a few reasons why I hate St. Louis:

1. It is six hours from the Cintas Center. I had to give up my season tickets because of this. However, I have still made it to 3 home games and will probably go to another 3 more before the season is done.

2. They don't have Skyline.

3. They use provel instead of mozzerella on pizza.

4. The main highway going through St. Louis I-64 (or "40" as they like to call it) is closed for the next 1 to 2 years.

5. They sold the supposedly "American Lager" Budweiser to InBev.

I'll think of more reasons later. There are plenty.

xu2006
01-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Because I'm still not sure after all these years, what the hell is a Billiken?

They copied our beloved Cintas Center and Tommy and Pat have been there for 6 years.

Billikin is to Buddha as Musketeer is to ???
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_QuiIt9d_Fec/RjSfA6en8HI/AAAAAAAAAHM/6nb__H_MCuU/s1600/Billiken%2Bcopy.jpg : http://www.rivercitystatuary.com/photogallery/O005%20Buddha%20w%20Beads%20Jade.JPG

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/image/2008/01/24/op6q-3451.jpg :????

kyxu
01-07-2009, 02:40 PM
I don't really hate St. Louis.

Met a nice girl there once. A sweet girl. Went back to her place, yada yada yada...found out she was a one-legged tranny. Not his/her fault though. Should have performed my due diligence, I suppose.

Oh...um....Xavier by 10?

American X
01-07-2009, 02:42 PM
I hate SLU because they were touted as a NCAA contender upon joining the A-10 but have been nothing but a spoiler. The A-10 is chock full of those already. Earn a bid already.

Rick Majerus went to Saint Louis because he thought the arch was a giant McDonald's.

XUglow
01-07-2009, 02:58 PM
I hate them because they whine and throw fits like little girls if you type in St. Louis instead of Saint Louis. Yes, I am talking to my brother who teaches there. You are a whiny little girl. Mom liked me best. You guys are going down.

XU05and07
01-07-2009, 03:09 PM
I hate Rick Majerus...he was a terrible ESPN commentator, he eats more than what his team weighs, he runs kids out of his program instead of adjusting his coaching style, he is a waste of money on a school that could find better uses for it

And I hate SLU for wait listing me...while I never wanted to go there, I applied due to it being a Jesuit school. They were the only school that didn't admit me and give me scholarship money.

BBC 08
01-07-2009, 03:12 PM
I hate them because they whine and throw fits like little girls if you type in St. Louis instead of Saint Louis. Yes, I am talking to my brother who teaches there. You are a whiny little girl. Mom liked me best. You guys are going down.

I think God liked you best too. Proof? Miss Muskie.

Muskie73
01-07-2009, 03:25 PM
I just recently moved to St. Louis from Cincinnati so here are a few reasons why I hate St. Louis:

4. The main highway going through St. Louis I-64 (or "40" as they like to call it) is closed for the next 1 to 2 years.

My older son went to Wash U for undergraduate and we were thinking of visiting St Louis this spring. How does anyone get around the city if the 64-40 is closed?

XUOWNSUC
01-07-2009, 03:45 PM
My older son went to Wash U for undergraduate and we were thinking of visiting St Louis this spring. How does anyone get around the city if the 64-40 is closed?

I'm no expert (I've only been here for a couple of months) but you shouldn'y have that much of a problem. I-64 is not completely closed - it is closed in various sections. You can use other highways like I-270, I-55, I-44, etc. to get where you need to go. As far as Wash U goes, you will have to ask a person more familiar with St. Louis than me about how to get there. Don't sweat it.

STL_XUfan
01-07-2009, 04:28 PM

It is a pain in the ass (Those from Cinci imagine this as Cincinnati deciding to close 71 from 275 to the dana exit.). However if you are coming from cincy you can take 64 right up to slu's campus, the shutdown occurs at kingshighway and continues until I-170.

SLUBillikens
01-07-2009, 04:50 PM

i wouldnt say SLU fans throw fits because of it. We do like to be called by our proper name of Saint Louis because that's what it is. It's not a huge deal, but to me it's like people calling Xavier "eggs-avier." Again not that big of a deal but just nice to have it right.

xunorm
01-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Being from St. Louis, provel is better than mozzerella, and IMOs pizza is a St. Louis tradition. I chose X over SLU mostly because of the basketball program, but I am still a die hard Cardinals fan ( I will root for the Reds though).

It's not hard to get around St. Louis, take I-44 and there are many roads you can cut over to get to Wash U: Grand, Hampton, LaClede Station.

I don't really follow the Billikens anymore, but like UD, they suffer from Xavier envy but they are at least doing something about it. Popular coach, new arena; they could be good with the guys coming in after a few years.

I also went to the rival high school of SLU High, and we always cheered "What the Hell is a Billiken!"

XUglow
01-07-2009, 05:23 PM
From the little girl book of whining: The I'm Not Whining Whine (See St. Louis.)

i wouldnt say SLU fans throw fits because of it. We do like to be called by our proper name of Saint Louis because that's what it is. It's not a huge deal, but to me it's like people calling Xavier "eggs-avier." Again not that big of a deal but just nice to have it right.

See. It's like this. No one is "saying" Saint wrong. When we say St. Louis, we say Saint Louis. Now if we said, "Saint Louie", you might be on to something, but as we are writing a proper abbreviation of Saint, there should be no issues.

Let's try dictionary.com

Saint

For entries beginning with this word, see also St., Ste.

St.

1. Saint.
2. statute; statutes.
3. Strait.
4. Street.

PMI
01-07-2009, 06:06 PM
They're named after the early 20th century's version of the pet rock. SLU games are always annoying to watch and they always give us fits. They usually play us very tough but can't do it consistently enough to ever be in the at-large discussion. Like most A10 teams, it hurts us to lose to them a hell of a lot more than it helps us to beat them. Along with Charlotte they have been an overall disappointment as an addition from the C-USA. And Billikens are creepy and haven't even brough SLU sports that much good luck.

SLUBillikens
01-07-2009, 06:18 PM
From the little girl book of whining: The I'm Not Whining Whine (See St. Louis.)

See. It's like this. No one is "saying" Saint wrong. When we say St. Louis, we say Saint Louis. Now if we said, "Saint Louie", you might be on to something, but as we are writing a proper abbreviation of Saint, there should be no issues.

Let's try dictionary.com

Saint

For entries beginning with this word, see also St., Ste.

St.

1. Saint.
2. statute; statutes.
3. Strait.
4. Street.

I can see where you're coming from. I'm pretty sure though that the university, being a Jesuit school, is actually named after Saint Louis himself and not after the city hence the spelling out of the word 'saint'. Either way its not a huge deal to me but i just thought I'd try to help clarify the whole argument over it. And i don't think it's necessary to call me a whiner as i was just trying to clear up why the proper name is Saint Louis and not St. Louis. And i don't think it's necessary to call me a whiner as i was just trying to clear up the reasoning for the University being called Saint Louis instead of St. Louis

GoMuskies
01-07-2009, 06:34 PM
I have always found it odd that SLU people whine about the St. as well. Plenty of people at Xavier went to Cincinnati or Louisville St. X, and I don't recall anyone ever complaing about the abreviation of either Saint or Xavier.

XUglow
01-07-2009, 07:33 PM
I can see where you're coming from. I'm pretty sure though that the university, being a Jesuit school, is actually named after Saint Louis himself and not after the city hence the spelling out of the word 'saint'. Either way its not a huge deal to me but i just thought I'd try to help clarify the whole argument over it. And i don't think it's necessary to call me a whiner as i was just trying to clear up why the proper name is Saint Louis and not St. Louis. And i don't think it's necessary to call me a whiner as i was just trying to clear up the reasoning for the University being called Saint Louis instead of St. Louis

Chill. I am giving my brother some grief. I cannot think of a single St. Something-or-other that I ever went to... St. James as of today... that wasn't written St. I may be wrong, but I can't think of another school that expects us to write it "Saint". St. Joe's, St. John's, you name it.

PMI
01-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Doesn't Saint Joseph's not like to be called anything else? I could have sworn they were complaining about being called St. Joe's, etc.

D-West & PO-Z
01-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Same scholarship and I picked X (I think that it had more to do with the fact that both my parents work within 1 mile of SLU then anything else).

See same concept here. I didnt even apply to XU because I had to get away for school. I didnt want to go to school 10 mins from where I grew up. So I choose SLU over some other schools for multiple reasons. Duquesne was actually my second choice.

D-West & PO-Z
01-07-2009, 08:45 PM
I have always found it odd that SLU people whine about the St. as well. Plenty of people at Xavier went to Cincinnati or Louisville St. X, and I don't recall anyone ever complaing about the abreviation of either Saint or Xavier.

Thats weird that you guys know people who complainabout that because in my 5 years at SLU I have always used the St. and dont know anyone who complains about it.

D-West & PO-Z
01-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Being from St. Louis, provel is better than mozzerella, and IMOs pizza is a St. Louis tradition. I chose X over SLU mostly because of the basketball program, but I am still a die hard Cardinals fan ( I will root for the Reds though).

It's not hard to get around St. Louis, take I-44 and there are many roads you can cut over to get to Wash U: Grand, Hampton, LaClede Station.

I don't really follow the Billikens anymore, but like UD, they suffer from Xavier envy but they are at least doing something about it. Popular coach, new arena; they could be good with the guys coming in after a few years.

I also went to the rival high school of SLU High, and we always cheered "What the Hell is a Billiken!"

This is not true. I mean yes I'm sure SLU would love to get to the point XU is at, what school wouldnt?, but they are in no way like UD where they obsess over XU and try to act like they are in some way better.

Cheesehead
01-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Looking at the history of the Billiken, the one picture of the statue does look a lot like Buddha and the their actual mascot looks like a Smurf on Meth.

Nothing to brag about.

SLUBillikens
01-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Chill. I am giving my brother some grief. I cannot think of a single St. Something-or-other that I ever went to... St. James as of today... that wasn't written St. I may be wrong, but I can't think of another school that expects us to write it "Saint". St. Joe's, St. John's, you name it.

I think you are misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm not in the least bit angry at all. I'm just saying that thats what the school is called along with Saint Joseph's and Saint Mary's. Again its not a big deal to me or really any other SLU fans and i understand you're giving your brother a little trouble. I think SLU fans are more disappointed when our own local newspaper the Post Dispatch spells it St. Louis either because of incompetence or the fact that they just don't care.

xeus
01-08-2009, 11:01 AM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c116/Ratatack/fat_bastard.jpg

XUglow
01-08-2009, 11:44 AM
... the fact that they just don't care.

Now we are getting somewhere.

Let's hear from the people outside of SLU about 'Saint vs St.'.

...crickets chirping...

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

DC Muskie
01-08-2009, 11:54 AM
They don't like St. But they give the okay to SLU.

Nice.

MADXSTER
01-08-2009, 12:00 PM
My boy saw a shirt that had SLUT......the T was for tennis.

XUglow
01-08-2009, 01:25 PM
The physics building at Berkeley was called Sullivan-Harrell when I was there. The physics majors named it the Sullivan-Harrell Institute of Technology and got appropriate tee shirts.

X Communicator
01-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Billiken is to Buddha as the Musketeer is to

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/15598.jpg

Boilermaker?