PDA

View Full Version : Colonials Is The Stupidest Name In College Basketball

American X
01-18-2008, 03:00 PM
I cannot stand GW. Consider yourself lucky if you have not experienced those yellow styrofoam tri-corner hat wearing, Corn Pops tossing dorks that inhabit their student section.

Colonials just beats out The Cardinal as the stupidest name in college basketball. Think about what George Washington did with his life. He dedicated it to NOT BEING A COLONIAL. He victoriously lead an army against impossible odds to not be a Colonial. What a bunch of ignorant, pinko numbnuts.

Not to mention the abomination that is the inflatable George Washington and the streaking George Washington. You read that right. If the name and blow-up caricature is not insult enough, the regular mascot strips down and goes streaking across the floor.

This cannot stand. I'm not going to sit hear and let them badmouth the Founding Father of our great nation. Xavier must pummel GW into obliteration. Xavier must pound them so hard the Smith Center collapses into the swamp Foggy Bottom came from. Xavier must smack them so hard they have XAVIER - FLAGSHIP tattooed on their foreheads.

Muskie
01-18-2008, 03:01 PM
yeah... it's so much worse than Billiken...

Masterofreality
01-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Having gone to an incredibly stupid number of games in Foggy Bottom,(how's that for the name of the location for the school) despite living over 400 miles from Washington DC, I must say that GW is horrific in numerous categories.

A) Ugliest floor paint and design of any major college team. Boring blue and, I guess gold that is the same color as the wood floor.
B) Worst fight song ever: "Hail to the buff, Hail to the blue, Hail to the buff and blue". What? I'll hail a chick in the buff, but that's it.
C). A ridiculous sounding horn that sound like a 1958 Studebaker.
D). Juvenile triangle shaped foam hats that are just stupid looking.
E) Not one, but two ludicrous looking mascots of the Father of our Country that make him look like either a cartoon character, or a emaciated crack addict on Minnesota Avenue with bad head lice.
F) The most uncomfortable seating in major college basketball.
G) A glorified "Tom Gola Arena" for a home gym.
H) No parking availability around the place.

"Foggy Bottom." Reminds me of an old girlfriend- after a bong hit.

We must kick their traitor a$$es by 30 points.

Stonebreaker
01-18-2008, 04:05 PM
I can't say I would be fond of the mascot.

X-band '01
01-18-2008, 07:17 PM
At least you people have never seen the Hippo mascot that also runs around at the GW games (I went to the XU-GW women's game a day after the men's XU-Charlotte game in 2006). That thing is just as frightening as a mascot who wears a suit that even the Hawk mascot thinks is old.

Besides, we know that MOR can never get enough of the GW fight song in his mind.

American X
01-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Screw GW. Even when they are good they suck. Dominate the league for two years and manage an 8 seed, a 12 seed, and one win. Way to lead the conference.

American X
01-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Those numbnuts had a UPS "What Can Brown Do For You?" sign behind the basket. He can D-Bag your dumb asses, that's what.

Masterofreality
01-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Those numbnuts had a UPS "What Can Brown Do For You?" sign behind the basket. He can D-Bag your dumb asses, that's what.

That sign was at the end where DBrown did a monster throwdown. If some sharp photographer had a good angle of that and the sign- its a sure fire winning poster!

Fred Garvin
01-20-2008, 09:40 PM
I'm trying to recall the XU-GW game Xband referenced. I'm having trouble differentiating it from all the other women's games I've never seen.

American X
02-29-2008, 01:10 PM
I stand by everything I said in January.

DC Muskie
02-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Think about this...

Colonial Nation.

Don't this Jersey rejects know that Colonials don't have their own nation?

Did you know that GW is the most expensive school in the country? I think I read that somewhere. It is also ranked nowhere near the top, meaning it is by far the most overpriced education in the country.

George Washington also, never lived in Washington, DC. So their entire school is one big school of stupidity.

Turd Ferguson
02-29-2008, 11:42 PM
Being that we are on the subject... let me say how glad i am that Xavier has a unique mascot instead of a cardinal or a bulldog. I think Dave Chapelle might have described our musketeer best, "Then THEY had the nerve to put a pimp on there. Now, they didn't go out and say he was a pimp. But I know a pimp when I see one. They called him, "D'Artagnan". He had a cape on and everything."
Don't forget that big hat with a feather in it.

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/50892999.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1939847EC77F5F8D1CE65B7015B19DA0062 A40A659CEC4C8CB6

I like the old D'Artagnan much better than the new one which kinda sucks. Anyone know what happened to the old mascot? How sweet would it be to have that on display in your basement?

NO JUSTICE! NO PEACE!
03-01-2008, 08:15 AM
[QUOTE=Turd Ferguson;19830] "Then THEY had the nerve to put a pimp on there. Now, they didn't go out and say he was a pimp. But I know a pimp when I see one. They called him, "D'Artagnan". He had a cape on and everything."

D' man is a Pimp! Never thought about it, but it does work on so many levels.

nuts4xu
03-01-2008, 01:46 PM
Tonight will be a beat down of epic proportions. We are going to pummel the ever living crap out of these losers. Why does this conference have so many midget coaches?

Gary Coleman Hobbs looks more like Beetle Juice from Howard Stern each and every year.

MADXSTER
06-30-2008, 11:53 PM
Being that we are on the subject... let me say how glad i am that Xavier has a unique mascot instead of a cardinal or a bulldog. I think Dave Chapelle might have described our musketeer best, "Then THEY had the nerve to put a pimp on there. Now, they didn't go out and say he was a pimp. But I know a pimp when I see one. They called him, "D'Artagnan". He had a cape on and everything."

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/50892999.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1939847EC77F5F8D1CE65B7015B19DA0062 A40A659CEC4C8CB6

I like the old D'Artagnan much better than the new one which kinda sucks. Anyone know what happened to the old mascot? How sweet would it be to have that on display in your basement?

They should have it on display n the lobby.

here's my favorite pimp

http://doubledeckerbuses.org/blog/media/huggybear1.jpg

American X
07-02-2008, 10:18 PM
I thought you brought this back to the top for Independence Day.

D'Artagnan is a pimp, as is George Washington.

God Bless America and Xavier.

ATL Muskie
07-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Snipe's front yard:

http://www.phpsolvent.com/images/jesus_abe_george.jpg

American X
02-20-2009, 01:42 PM
While we are in an uproar about maybe not getting a three seed, remember it could be much worse. We could be that morass known as GW.

I am appalled they carry the name of our Founding Father. If they are going to be so feckless and inconsequential yet named after a President, they should be known as Jimmy Carter University.

Foggy Bottom = League Bottom

thefortyniner
02-20-2009, 01:59 PM
I HATE GWU.

I hope their school crumbles and is swallowed up into the depths of hell.

Remember when we first joined the league? First off their president at the time reportedly says that Charlotte is "Academically inferior, and unworthy of being in the A10" and then when the rest of the A10 says "STFU" and overrides his ass (I believe Bobinski was one of them, I'm not sure... but if so, many thanks to him.) he releases this official statement:

“We’re pleased that such attractive institutions have accepted our invitation to join the A-10 Conference. Saint Louis shares with our member institutions a strong commitment to academics, as well as athletics. They also further solidify the conference’s national reputation and prestige. We believe that Charlotte is an institution cut from the same cloth.

Thanks but no thanks. Mr. Washington wannabes, please take your backhanded welcome and shove it in your Colonial anal cavities.

Then came the infamous elbow game, and then the year after that those triangleheads did a victory march around our arena, in which they knocked over an older couple that couldn't get out of the way.

They are elitist punks, and they really have nothing to be elitist about.

Please demoralize them for me.

X-band '01
02-21-2009, 11:21 AM
To quote Richard Henry Lee - "These United Colonies are, and of right ought to be, Free and Independent States"

So why are they calling themselves the Colonials again? And shame on Robert Morris for also using that nickname as well.

Muskie1000
02-22-2009, 07:55 AM
my favorite memories was when Xavier first got into the A-10 and GW was actually good, GW's teams consisted mainly of overseas players. So every year when GW came here and we won, we would chant USA. Of course, we're not sure that they (GW) understood it, since most didn't speak much English.

American X
01-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Karl Hobbs' remaining tenure may be shorter than Hobbs himself.

http://bobmarleyhats.info/images/garycoleman.jpg

powerofX
01-08-2010, 04:21 PM
my favorite memories was when Xavier first got into the A-10 and GW was actually good, GW's teams consisted mainly of overseas players. So every year when GW came here and we won, we would chant USA. Of course, we're not sure that they (GW) understood it, since most didn't speak much English.

Double OT game in 96 or 97....Alexander Khoul, Igor Misherikoff, and a few others...as each got sat down with 5 fouls in a game that actually took longer than the WFU game this year, the students chanted "deportation!"

Nevermind that the X women's team, in attendance, had like 3 players from Sweden.

So much fun and I was so drunk...

Also that last time X gave away dry erase boards as the free give away...

bobbiemcgee
01-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Think I'll have go with the Presbyterian Blue Ho's ...er...Hose.

X-band '01
01-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Double OT game in 96 or 97....Alexander Khoul, Igor Misherikoff, and a few others...as each got sat down with 5 fouls in a game that actually took longer than the WFU game this year, the students chanted "deportation!"

Nevermind that the X women's team, in attendance, had like 3 players from Sweden.

So much fun and I was so drunk...

Also that last time X gave away dry erase boards as the free give away...

It was Finland, not Sweden.

I also remember Paul Daugherty chastising the students in the Enquirer for U-S-A chants as well.

powerofX
01-09-2010, 04:54 PM
It was Finland, not Sweden.

I also remember Paul Daugherty chastising the students in the Enquirer for U-S-A chants as well.

Is this where I become a complete @$$ and say "aren't they the same thing?" Thanks for the correction.

And Doc did write that article, but never could find the time to write a negative UC article in Huggins' prime.

DC Muskie
01-12-2010, 09:54 AM
By the way, Pops Meshu Bongo was at the game, and everyone went nuts.

We calmly informed everyone around us, that two our alumni would have come to the game, but they were tipping off at the Verizon Center in about an hour.

Seriously, GW is going to be the next big Ponzi scheme.

Trust me.

Masterofreality
01-12-2010, 10:25 AM
We calmly informed everyone around us, that two our alumni would have come to the game, but they were tipping off at the Verizon Center in about an hour.

Classic, DC!! LOL:D

X-band '01
01-23-2011, 07:44 PM
It's 2011 and GW should still be ashamed of themselves for the Colonial nickname.

X-band '01
01-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Remember when we first joined the league? First off their president at the time reportedly says that Charlotte is "Academically inferior, and unworthy of being in the A10" and then when the rest of the A10 says "STFU" and overrides his ass (I believe Bobinski was one of them, I'm not sure... but if so, many thanks to him.) he releases this official statement:

The sweet irony here is that reports of academic shenanigans at GW began their downfall from conference champions in 2007 to the piece of shit program they are now.

Masterofreality
01-23-2011, 09:48 PM
I hate George Washington.

A) Disrespecting the 1st President by a wussy-boy mascot.
B) RPI Killers
C) Snobby Students
D) Second rate gymnasium (although it's better than F-m or LaSucks)
E) Awful painting on their court
F) A car horn for a buzzer in their gym
G) Worst fight song lyrics ever:

Hail to the Buff
Hail to the Blue
Hail to the Buff and Blue

You would think that a school that has the highest tuition of any University in America that plays Division 1 sports- more even than all Ivy League schools- could have some braniac come up with a better fight song lyric than that.

The only buff I hail is when a naked lady is standing in front of me.

GW blows.

DC Muskie
01-24-2011, 06:44 AM
Ponzi Boarding School.

CinciX12
01-24-2011, 10:37 AM
I can't tell if you guys like GW or not.

DC Muskie
01-24-2011, 11:35 AM
I had floor seats to the UD GW game last year.

That should tell you how important GW basketball is to GW Ponzi scheme.

When The SHow comes to town, everyone comes out.

PMI
01-24-2011, 11:46 AM
I have a special dislike for GW that I don't think most Xavier fans share. Once X joined the A10, when I was a little kid, I finally had at least one X game a year that I was guaranteed to go to. GW in the 90s was different than GW now. They were pretty good, led by Mike Jarvis, Shawnta Rogers, and a bunch of foreigners. Their fans were ruthless. They don't give a shit anymore, but back then, they were a rowdy bunch of white boys who never let us hear the end of it. And we used to sit down low, right next to the student section. It was a rough experience wearing Xavier blue there, especially because we used to lose heartbreakers. So fuck GW, and the ruins of its program still left. Just another one of the unlucky 13 whose necks are sore from staring up at the Flagship all day.

thefortyniner
01-24-2011, 11:58 AM
I have a special dislike for GW that I don't think most Xavier fans share. Once X joined the A10, when I was a little kid, I finally had at least one X game a year that I was guaranteed to go to. GW in the 90s was different than GW now. They were pretty good, led by Mike Jarvis, Shawnta Rogers, and a bunch of foreigners. Their fans were ruthless. They don't give a shit anymore, but back then, they were a rowdy bunch of white boys who never let us hear the end of it. And we used to sit down low, right next to the student section. It was a rough experience wearing Xavier blue there, especially because we used to lose heartbreakers. So fuck GW, and the ruins of its program still left. Just another one of the unlucky 13 whose necks are sore from staring up at the Flagship all day.

Make that 12. Our necks are not sore.

We realized that by laying down, we can look directly up without any strain on the neck at all.

Stick that in your academic pipe and smoke it, George.

XUglow
01-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Ugh... GW. Makes me think of that dumbshit student broadcast that we had to watch on channelsurfing when we played them. That was painful.

golfitup
01-24-2011, 04:19 PM
Colonial foot soldier!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3EJYWhHrJw

nuts4xu
01-26-2011, 01:26 AM
He chopped down a cherry tree, he didn't discover the cure for cancer or anything......Plus look at him. He appears to be a ritard.

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/81474990.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA54801282D3729A27DAF FAD3D47826D9324A045F247E8BE4D5E7

X-band '01
01-31-2012, 02:52 PM
If middle-aged women can protest the nickname Cougars for a high school in Utah, can we protest that George Washington drop the nickname Colonial?

And just to keep MOR happy:

Hail to the Buff! Hail to the Blue! (http://gwired.gwu.edu/audio/gwfightsong.mp3)

(alarm clock buzzer not included)

XUglow
01-31-2012, 04:45 PM
And just to keep MOR happy:

Hail to the Buff and Blue Towel...

http://www.visualphotos.com/photo/1x6858610/blond_young_woman_wearing_a_blue_towel_sitting_on_ 004GBA00271.jpg

Cheesehead
01-31-2012, 06:09 PM
I was going to agree but bbballfan has made me go w/ Billikens as the stupidest name in all of college sports.

American X
01-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Different year, same morons.

George Washington would have stayed home from the Revolutionary War, chilling with Martha, distilling rye and growing cannabis, if he had know this collection of imbeciles would name this excuse for a school after him.

blueblob06
01-11-2013, 12:25 PM
http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o712/XavierBasketball-com/GW_zps9d3c1694.png

X-band '01
01-11-2013, 06:47 PM
Their mascot used to look a lot more frightening than that. And the hippo -

Nah, it ain't worth it.

Masterofreality
01-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Having gone to an incredibly stupid number of games in Foggy Bottom,(how's that for the name of the location for the school) despite living over 400 miles from Washington DC, I must say that GW is horrific in numerous categories.

A) Ugliest floor paint and design of any major college team. Boring blue and, I guess gold that is the same color as the wood floor.
B) Worst fight song ever: "Hail to the buff, Hail to the blue, Hail to the buff and blue". What? I'll hail a chick in the buff, but that's it.
C). A ridiculous sounding horn that sound like a 1958 Studebaker.
D). Juvenile triangle shaped foam hats that are just stupid looking.
E) Not one, but two ludicrous looking mascots of the Father of our Country that make him look like either a cartoon character, or a emaciated crack addict on Minnesota Avenue with bad head lice.
F) The most uncomfortable seating in major college basketball.
G) A glorified "Tom Gola Arena" for a home gym.
H) No parking availability around the place.

"Foggy Bottom." Reminds me of an old girlfriend- after a bong hit.

We must kick their traitor a$$es by 30 points.

I reiterate my earlier statement.

Masterofreality
01-11-2013, 06:52 PM
I hate George Washington.

A) Disrespecting the 1st President by a wussy-boy mascot.
B) RPI Killers
C) Snobby Students
D) Second rate gymnasium (although it's better than F-m or LaSucks)
E) Awful painting on their court
F) A car horn for a buzzer in their gym
G) Worst fight song lyrics ever:

Hail to the Buff
Hail to the Blue
Hail to the Buff and Blue

You would think that a school that has the highest tuition of any University in America that plays Division 1 sports- more even than all Ivy League schools- could have some braniac come up with a better fight song lyric than that.

The only buff I hail is when a naked lady is standing in front of me.

GW blows.

I repeat reiterate my earlier statement.

And I will be in the house tomorrow and at Dana's pre game. Get ready, '95.

American X
01-29-2016, 03:08 PM
I caught the end of Richmond @ George Washington and the audible "bullshit" chant by the student section on national television. Nice job, dorks.

Richmond won in double OT, apparently Chris Mooney is still at Richmond, and apparently GW pulled someone from the registered sex offender database to be their head coach.

Cheesehead
01-29-2016, 03:27 PM
I caught the end of Richmond @ George Washington and the audible "bullshit" chant by the student section on national television. Nice job, dorks.

Richmond won in double OT, apparently Chris Mooney is still at Richmond, and apparently GW pulled someone from the registered sex offender database to be their head coach.

So glad X is not in that crap league anymore.

ballyhoohoo
01-29-2016, 06:30 PM
To quote Richard Henry Lee - "These United Colonies are, and of right ought to be, Free and Independent States"

So why are they calling themselves the Colonials again? And shame on Robert Morris for also using that nickname as well.

Maybe the Robert Morris Financiers. Has a better ring then the Robert Morris fighting "Spent an entire fortune and went bankrupt so we didn't have to be colonials" bankruptees

maketewahXalum
01-29-2016, 07:30 PM
So glad X is not in that crap league anymore.

It is really fantastic that we are not in that league anymore. Just looking at our remaining 10 games left compared to Dayton's remaining 10 games left, the additional opportunities we have for quality wins is astounding.

Xavier: 7/10 are Top 100 RPI; 2 Top 25 RPI games
Dayton: 4/10 are Top 100 RPI; 6 100+ RPI games, including 3 160+ RPI games. ZERO Top 25 RPI opportunities.

That is a major competitive advantage. And I love it.

American X
11-21-2017, 07:14 AM
Are they seriously still going with Colonials? I am shocked there has not been campus-wide protest yet to change it.

I am deeply triggered and disturbed by their sheer historical illiteracy and ultimate dork-hood.

I imagine there will soon be a groundswell to finally rid the world of this indecency. Change to something snappy like the Recyclers or Sustainers.

Snipe
11-23-2017, 07:09 AM
Mack should address this in the post game. Colonials need to go. They need to burn fake George at the stake with a split screen on that grinning Mike Jarvis being thrown into the pit of Misery, Dilly Dilly.

I can just see it now, Fake George is burned, Jarvis is flayed and thrown into the pit, but yet when you look at the box score, Shawta Rodgers still got 8 rebounds. I didn't know he still played, I didn't know he was even there, but that midget always gets like 8 rebounds.

American X
06-15-2022, 04:01 PM
Finally! Justification after all these years!

George Washington University to stop using ‘Colonials’ name by 2023-24 (https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2022/06/15/gwu-colonials-change/)

But they are still dorks!

paulxu
08-27-2023, 11:51 AM
Amex…since you started this about 15 years ago…can we assume you think the “Revolutionaries” is an improvement?

American X
08-28-2023, 10:22 AM
Amex…since you started this about 15 years ago…can we assume you think the “Revolutionaries” is an improvement?

It should have been Revolutionaries from the beginning, but they should be true to themselves and go with Sustainers or Wokers (and they are still dorks).

paulxu
08-28-2023, 01:25 PM
I favored the “Blue Fog” choice.
Actually think that would have been pretty cool.

Masterofreality
08-28-2023, 02:38 PM
So many former great posters on this thread.
RIP here (although all still alive) to all of those Hall of Famers.
Incredible quality gone. :-(

X-band '01
08-29-2023, 07:10 AM
Almost all. NJ!NP! and his brother Pablo are all laughing at us from the great beyond.

UCGRAD4X
08-29-2023, 10:57 AM
It should have been Revolutionaries from the beginning, but they should be true to themselves and go with Sustainers or Wokers (and they are still dorks).

Wokers is right. I seem to remember an article where one Nancy student was "triggered" because the colors were blue and grey and reminded him of the Civil War colors. There was a big push to change the colors because of this one woke a**hole.

UCGRAD4X
08-29-2023, 10:59 AM
So many former great posters on this thread.
RIP here (although all still alive) to all of those Hall of Famers.
Incredible quality gone. :-(

Almost all. NJ!NP! and his brother Pablo are all laughing at us from the great beyond.

C'mon man (channeling my inner Brandon). That doesn't mean they can't post now and then!!

Masterofreality
08-29-2023, 11:07 AM

Thanks Band. Really miss Brian and Matt. :-(

Strange Brew
08-31-2023, 01:11 AM
After what just happened. I’m done.

Good luck and Godspeed.