PDA

View Full Version : I'm Sick of Gonzaga

GuyFawkes38
12-16-2008, 08:37 PM
I just finished listening to P. Daughtery interview Bobinski.

Bobinski stated that he doesn't know why Gonzaga receives so much more national press than Xavier. Indeed, X has a much better resume. Bobinski confided that it is a bit of a chip on the shoulder for the X team.

It's a great point. Even on this board, Gonzaga receives an abnormal amount of comments (earlier this year, several posters were raving about Gonzaga after they beat an average opponent).

There's something attractive about the Gonzaga program that I can't quite figure out.

kyxu
12-16-2008, 08:40 PM
There's something attractive about the Gonzaga program that I can't quite figure out.

it's boobs

GoMuskies
12-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Gonzaga brings it in the regular season. Every December they're knocking off high quality, high profile opponents on national TV. Plus, they play an exciting style of basketball. That's why they get so much attention. Until recently, even in years when Xavier won in the NCAA Tournament they sort of dropped the ball in high profile regular season matchups against teams not named Cincinnati. I'm sure that has something to do with it.

jdm2000
12-16-2008, 09:52 PM
This will sound like sour grapes, but I am almost always disappointed and unimpressed when I catch a Gonzaga game on TV. I expect the exciting brand of play, and it just doesn't materialize. Pargo is good and fun to watch, but gets a little out of control sometime. Heytvelt is a stiff in the Flyer tradition, and completely overrated. The rest of their players the last few years just have not lived up to the billing. This is all exacerbated by the terrible level of competition in the WCC (outside of St. Mary's the last couple years and San Diego in the WCC tourney). They are on the floor on national TV on ESPN with teams that I'm pretty sure would be early season buy games at Cintas.

And I can only imagine that the Charlotte Bobcats regret their choice of Adam Morrison every day.

MHettel
12-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Matt Santangelo, Casey Calvary, Dan Dickau, Blake Stepp, Ronny Turiaf, Adam Morrison, Pargo, Heytvelt, Austin Daye, Matt Bouldin.

They have had a NUMBER of very good college basketball players in teh last 10 years. This list above is just the very best of them.

They have made the tourney every year for 10 years. They have been in the top 25 for almost a full decade, and are routinely in the Top 10. They had initial tourney success, but have faltered lately.

They have a good coach and brand new facilities.

they are pretty good.

Juice
12-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Matt Santangelo, Casey Calvary, Dan Dickau, Blake Stepp, Ronny Turiaf, Adam Morrison, Pargo, Heytvelt, Austin Daye, Matt Bouldin.

They have had a NUMBER of very good college basketball players in teh last 10 years. This list above is just the very best of them.

They have made the tourney every year for 10 years. They have been in the top 25 for almost a full decade, and are routinely in the Top 10. They had initial tourney success, but have faltered lately.

They have a good coach and brand new facilities.

they are pretty good.

I agree that they have produced some good college players but none of those guys are worth a damn in the NBA. Stockton is the best thing that has come out of there and that was over 30 years ago.

waggy
12-16-2008, 10:25 PM
Personally, I would add Micah Downs to your list MHettel.

Gonzaga has a lot of talent and it's relatively experienced. On paper they're at least top 10. The loss to Arizona was definitely surprising, though I think some have maybe written them off prematurely. That team also has some talent. In fact, when you look at some individual positions Arizona is better. Personally I'd take Wise over Pargo, and the Arizona PF/Center over Heytvelt.

waggy
12-16-2008, 10:29 PM
And BTW, I'm sick of people being sick. X has too many great things going for it to whine about some whacked perceived slight by a goofy media.

kyxu
12-16-2008, 10:55 PM
And BTW, I'm sick of people being sick. X has too many great things going for it to whine about some whacked perceived slight by a goofy media.

Thank you.

MHettel
12-16-2008, 11:37 PM
JP Batista was a nice center. Kind of an Anthony Miles / jason love type.

I cant think of the scrappy little shooter they had about 3-4 years ago. Actually Derek Ravio! Just remebered. he was money.

They are a nice program, and have a hell of a niche as the only non big 6 private school west of the mississippi that gets any recognition.

xu15
12-17-2008, 12:22 AM
I'm fine with Gonzaga and I hate whining about other teams when we have such a damn good one, although it is wierd that they get more epress than X and I don't like that. Their players arent bad but not overly impressive as i see it. And until I am proven wrong I think Josh Heytvelt is the most overrated player in college basketball. But i gotta say I hate Adam Morrison and his "Little Tike's My First Mustache"

Snipe
12-17-2008, 04:09 AM
I really regret that we didn't hang on and put Adam Morrison out of the tournament. I would have liked our chances in the second round that year. We were playing well at just the right time.

Other than losing to them in that game I have nothing against Gonzaga. They have a great program. We don't play them and we don't compete for the same players because they are in Seattle and we are in Cincinnati.

They have a great program and I enjoy watching them beat high major teams. But if Bobinski has a chip I am all for that. Michael Bobinski has the full faith and credit of the House of Snipe.

GoMuskies
12-17-2008, 06:46 AM
MOR thinks we should all respect Gonzaga and aspire to be them.

stophorseabuse
12-17-2008, 06:51 AM
I think Batista was way ahead of both Myles and Love, particularly offensively. He was a beast on the block for them, and got far too little credit because of Morrison, and particularly Morrison's antics. Morrison was one of the neediest--attention seeking players I have seen.
________
mac game (http://macgame.org)

Tardy Turtle
12-17-2008, 07:27 AM
because they are in Spokane and we are in Cincinnati.

fixed yer post

Mark 3 Pointer
12-17-2008, 08:01 AM
We don't play them and we don't compete for the same players because they are in Spokane and we are in Cincinnati.

Along those same lines:

If you want to know why Gonzaga has done exceptionally well and gets tons of media attention look no further than where they are located… Their on pacific time X is on eastern time. The difference is that networks such as ESPN, Fox Sports and CBS can air a big time top 25 game at 7 have a half hour of highlights then jump right into a Pacific time zone game. If you don’t believe me look at this weeks top 25(ESPN Coaches); 22 of them are on Eastern or Central Time. Only three schools are in the pacific or mountain time zones (Gonzaga, UCLA and Arizona State). Despite their inferior resume Gonzaga gets the attention because of where they are located. Again this is another reason why we should be extremely proud of what Xavier has accomplished. X is truly the exception for a school of its size with its location and proximity to other major programs (Indiana, UC, Kentucky, Louisville, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Pitt, Dayton).

Jumpy
12-17-2008, 08:10 AM

This:

http://thenastyboys.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/adam-morrison.jpg

I can't figure it out either.

Jumpy
12-17-2008, 08:25 AM

I agree with this, and while I love Bobo and Sean, I think they could be on a slippery slope. The media latches on to some goofy things and twists them in ways that are unintended by the original message giver.

In an effort to garner national respect for our program, such antics as refusing the mid-major label and calling out Gonzaga could easily come back to haunt us if some random media member decides that we whine too much.

I know that we won't reach the goals we've set unless we actively pursue them (and a part of this is marketing ourselves as much as possible) and I agree with both points listed above seperately, but I just don't want to see a pattern emerge that could end up being detrimental to what we are trying to do.

MADXSTER
12-17-2008, 08:33 AM
Along those same lines:

If you want to know why Gonzaga has done exceptionally well and gets tons of media attention look no further than where they are located… Their on pacific time X is on eastern time. The difference is that networks such as ESPN, Fox Sports and CBS can air a big time top 25 game at 7 have a half hour of highlights then jump right into a Pacific time zone game. If you don’t believe me look at this weeks top 25(ESPN Coaches); 22 of them are on Eastern or Central Time. Only three schools are in the pacific or mountain time zones (Gonzaga, UCLA and Arizona State). Despite their inferior resume Gonzaga gets the attention because of where they are located. Again this is another reason why we should be extremely proud of what Xavier has accomplished. X is truly the exception for a school of its size with its location and proximity to other major programs (Indiana, UC, Kentucky, Louisville, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Pitt, Dayton).

Bingo. Ding, Ding, Ding.....we have a winner.

The Artist
12-17-2008, 10:00 AM
Why the hell is Dayton in that list of major programs?

Masterofreality
12-17-2008, 06:42 PM
MOR thinks we should all respect Gonzaga and aspire to be them.

Nope, not them. Why?

I know why Bobo has a problem with Gonzaga. Because a few years ago, all you would hear out of Spokane was that they could never get good games to play. Xavier tried to get get a series started with them. It would have been a good move for both programs.

Gonzaga's attitude was that Xavier wasn't good enough for them. Plus, they didn't think a trip to Cincinnati would have been a good enough recruiting tool for them. They scheduled a home and home with St. Joes instead. Bobo has tried since. They won't play and Bobo doesn't hide his disgust about it.

Screw them, and I mean that. They aspire to be US. They tried to copy our new arena but couldn't come up with enough bucks to make it as big. They try to match our NCAA Tourney success and they can't. Despite being higher ranked at the start of the season than Xavier, now we're ahead of them, at least in one poll. They are Xavier poseurs. Mark Few can't hold Sean Miller's jock strap.

Duke earned their success on the court with results. Xavier has too. Gonzaga gets their pub from a time zone and a cute name.

GuyFawkes38
12-17-2008, 08:32 PM
I can't agree more with MOR.

Masterofreality
12-17-2008, 11:48 PM
Oh, and one more thing.

Since when has Gonzaga produced a National Player of the Year? Never.

Naw. They produce a wierd-ass drug head like Heytvelt, who is overrated as hell and scored a nice fat 6 points against Arizona Sunday.

Go smoke some more hemp, losers.

waggy
12-17-2008, 11:57 PM
I think it is totally over the top to rip on Gonzaga and their players, because ESPN doesn't blow you on a regular basis. Sorry. My hope is if you take the bus to Pittsburgh, and you're fortunate enough to have someone pass you the spleef, that you take a few big hits and chill the F out.

kyxu
12-18-2008, 12:10 AM
I think it is totally over the top to rip on Gonzaga and their players, because ESPN doesn't blow you on a regular basis. Sorry. My hope is if you take the bus to Pittsburgh, and you're fortunate enough to have someone pass you the spleef, that you take a few big hits and chill the F out.

I'm with waggy on this -- no disrespect to you, MOR. There's enough room in college basketball for both teams to be blown.

Masterofreality
12-18-2008, 09:25 AM
I'm with waggy on this -- no disrespect to you, MOR. There's enough room in college basketball for both teams to be blown.

I'm pissed, just like Mike Bobinski is, that Gonzaga dissed Xavier. That's enough for me without any ESPN or any other issue. Screw Gonzaga and their hoity-toity attitude.

Sorry, guys. No mercy from me.

_LH
12-18-2008, 10:25 AM
Along those same lines:

Nailed it like a three pointer!

Emp
12-18-2008, 03:02 PM

May I please add my "yes."

Emp
12-18-2008, 03:04 PM

Can I get the Magic Bus to stop in Columbus? Id be happy to wait at the corner of 270 and 71.

GuyFawkes38
12-18-2008, 04:39 PM

I guess you disagree with bobinki on this one.

I think it's healthy to develop a sort of rivalry with Gonzaga.

you guys are girls.

waggy
12-18-2008, 07:59 PM
I guess you disagree with bobinki on this one.

I think it's healthy to develop a sort of rivalry with Gonzaga.

you guys are girls.

LOL. Mountain out of a mole hile. Tell you what, why don't you go rival-away 'til your hearts content: http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2