PDA

View Full Version : Yancy Gates

xubball93
12-13-2008, 06:44 AM
Gates will be thrust into an atmosphere tonight that he has experienced only from a distance (as a fan), but Cronin says the rookie won't be overwhelmed.

"Not a whole lot bothers him," Cronin said.

I may be wrong, but isn't Yancy Gates the punk-ass who got thrown out of high school games for losing his cool? I seem to recall he choked on critical free throws against St. X.

sweet16
12-13-2008, 07:06 AM
I attended that game and his behavior was embarrassing. The St.X students got under his skin and he went like 0 for 10 from the foul line. At the end of the game, when they lost, he went after an official and then removed his jersey and ran into the locker room........leaving the rest of his team standing on the court. One of the assistant coaches went in and brought him back out. Throughout the game, during timeouts, Gates could be found sitting by himself on the bench while the rest of his teammates were huddled around the coaches. Don't believe what you read from the UC staff/fans........this kid is a punk!

DC Muskie
12-13-2008, 07:52 AM
Nancy needs a hug.

REF
12-13-2008, 07:53 AM
Gates was coached by Walt McBride in HS. I remember Gates being suspended 2 or 3 times for 'not following team rules.' Wonder what that means?

XURunner85
12-13-2008, 07:58 AM
I was also told that it was tiresome of trying to find Yancy and get him in class and he doesn't like being told what to do....this from a reliable source who graduated from X behind me and whose name was mentioned in an above post...

xavierdude
12-13-2008, 09:22 AM
I attended that game and his behavior was embarrassing. The St.X students got under his skin and he went like 0 for 10 from the foul line. At the end of the game, when they lost, he went after an official and then removed his jersey and ran into the locker room........leaving the rest of his team standing on the court. One of the assistant coaches went in and brought him back out. Throughout the game, during timeouts, Gates could be found sitting by himself on the bench while the rest of his teammates were huddled around the coaches. Don't believe what you read from the UC staff/fans........this kid is a punk!

DITTO! I was there, witnessed the same punk. I'm not saying he sucks at basketball, but he is a punk to the 100th power.

vee4xu
12-13-2008, 09:29 AM
Gates was coached by Walt McBride in HS. I remember Gates being suspended 2 or 3 times for 'not following team rules.' Wonder what that means?

I means Mick learned a lot about recruiting from Lard Ass.

Masterofreality
12-13-2008, 09:32 AM
If this is all true, then maybe, just maybe X cooled on his recruiting themselves on advice from said source above? Maybe this kid is another Duke Crews who screwed up at Tennessee?

After all, we had the Big Frease and Jamel coming in with some great recruits like Parrom likely.

If the kid wasn't really wanting to be a student, and is a punk, then he's at the perfect place.

X? Not so much.

AviatorX
12-13-2008, 09:35 AM
If this is all true, then maybe, just maybe X cooled on his recruiting themselves on advice from said source above? Maybe this kid is another Duke Crews who screwed up at Tennessee?

After all, we had the Big Frease and Jamel coming in with some great recruits like Parrom likely.

If the kid wasn't really wanting to be a student, and is a punk, then he's at the perfect place.

X? Not so much.

While this may prove to be true, we did not stop recruiting him. You win some you lose some, but when we lose a recruiting battle, lets at least admit it. Everyone here knows that they would take him in the frontcourt, imagine the domination in a few years...

kyxu
12-13-2008, 09:38 AM
While this may prove to be true, we did not stop recruiting him. You win some you lose some, but when we lose a recruiting battle, lets at least admit it. Everyone here knows that they would take him in the frontcourt, imagine the domination in a few years...

I agree with this. If Yancy wanted to come to Xavier, no doubt, we would have taken him. A kid with as much talent as Gates, most coaches would be willing to take a chance on with the hope that he puts it together and becomes an impact player. And considering what he's done so far at UC in his young career, I'd say he's starting to put it together.

Masterofreality
12-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Hey, man. I don't know.

Just asking questions. See these (?) above?

Juice
12-13-2008, 09:41 AM

I know X didnt stop recruiting him but I was really happy we lost this recruiting battle. In that same St. X game I saw him stand on the free throw line the entire game and hardly move. He is 6'9'' or however tall and he did not post up once against any X kid who were at best 6'6''. The kid is lazy and easily can be affected by outside happenings.

Will "Da Thrill" Caudle
12-13-2008, 09:43 AM
I'm sure Yancy has exhibited some behavior now and in the past that has been unacceptable.

I'm sure we all have done things that we're not necessarily proud of....especially when our emotions have trumped our rational thinking.

In my opinion Yancy is a 19 year old kid. A 19 year old kid that has done not one thing wrong to any of you on here... and yet, he is a called a "Punk" and "Punk-Ass" kid.

C'mon people.

The only punk behavior I see is with these "grown men" on here, calling this kid (who they don't know and have no contact with) names.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

Jumpy
12-13-2008, 09:59 AM
I agree with Will. I think we may might be treating this kid a little too harshly. Have any of you on here calling him a punk even seen him play in any game other than the St. X game last year? He's a kid, riding the emotional roller coaster that kids do.

In the end, this thread looks like a bunch of sour grapes because we lost out on this guy. I, for one, still wish that he had come here because he is a man child who will grow into a great player. That, and I have faith that Sean and Sr. Rose would be able to help him mature past any emotional/attitude problems that he may or may not have.

xavierdude
12-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Get off your high horse. 19 years old....you should know how to act. Since when aren't we allowed to criticize college athletes? We criticize ours everyday.

Edit: I'd like to add that I never follow the recruiting trails. So I don't even know how close or how far we were from getting the kid. But give me a break. I'm not one for controversy on a messageboard, but I'd like to say I call 'em as I see 'em.

xeus
12-13-2008, 10:20 AM
Today is the Crosstown Shootout. I'm in no mood to be compassionate toward UC players.

Yancy is a punk-ass punk. Punkity punk punk. Punk.

Screw UC and yancy gates.

LET'S GO X! LET'S GO X! LET'S GO X!

AdamtheFlyer
12-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Did Gates ever punch a coach? Is Parrom a punk?

I need to get in the glass house market. I could make some serious coin around these parts.

xeus
12-13-2008, 10:27 AM

I need to get in the glass house market. I could make some serious coin around these parts.

Shut up and go get ready for your big game against Coppin State you fruitcake.

Jumpy
12-13-2008, 10:32 AM
Ewww. I'm on the same side as Flyer fans. I need a shower.

xeus
12-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Ewww. I'm on the same side as Flyer fans. I need a shower.

Fine, be that way. While you're showering I'll be unfairly bashing the other team's players.

I wouldn't expect Adam to have a concept of what a rivalry like this means, but c'mon Jumpy, it's the freaking day of the Shootout and you're calling for a kinder gentler approach? With all due respect, no way.

SCREW YANCY and SCREW UC.

LET'S GO X!

stophorseabuse
12-13-2008, 10:51 AM

Get off the champions board.
________
ios games (http://macgame.org)

Xpectations
12-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Xeus is right. There's no room for respect on game day against a rival in your hometown. Respect can resume around 10:15 pm tonight after the beatdown that our Muskies are gonna deliver to their punk @$$es tonight.

Lamont Sanford
12-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Adam -

If you haven't already this morning, eat a bag of dicks.

UC sucks. Dayton blows.

Firehose
12-13-2008, 11:07 AM
My prediction? Pain.

Mark 3 Pointer
12-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Another reason to hate UC and Yancy gates.

From the enquirer.

Gates, the best high school player in Cincinnati a year ago, chose UC, he said, because "UC's a bigger school. They play in the Big East against better teams in their conference. Xavier has a great program, but I also wanted to be able to come in and be part of a rebuilding program. I felt UC was a higher-profile program."

NO MERCY!!!

kyxu
12-13-2008, 11:19 AM

Parrom was being choked. He was a kid (16-17), being abused by an adult. I see some leeway. It is the only such incident he's ever had.

But feel free to go back to your own board and wring your hands about beating Coppin State tonight. Go Flyers! Go BG!!

Will "Da Thrill" Caudle
12-13-2008, 11:34 AM
From the enquirer.

Gates, the best high school player in Cincinnati a year ago, chose UC, he said, because "UC's a bigger school. They play in the Big East against better teams in their conference. Xavier has a great program, but I also wanted to be able to come in and be part of a rebuilding program. I felt UC was a higher-profile program."
__________________________________________________ __________________

Everything in that quote is spot on...EXCEPT..."I felt UC was a higher-profile program".
-UC's definitely got size on X- in terms of the school.
-A10 can't even measure up to the Big East from top to bottom.
-Big East has much better media exposure.

But Xavier is w/o a doubt a higher-profile program.
UC is a football school anyways.

But whatever, Yancy made a decision. He made the best decision for himself and I think we all should wish him luck and wellness...except maybe for tonight. :)

I don't like UC at all but, I want the game to be exciting and well played on both sides. I hope the Yancy and the Bearcats play great basketball tonight... I have faith that our Muskies will bring it to 'em and come out on top.

GO X!

AdamtheFlyer
12-13-2008, 01:13 PM
I wouldn't expect Adam to have a concept of what a rivalry like this means

Is this HUGE rivalry game sold out yet? How big can a rivalry be when one of the brothers cares more about what cousin Brian is doing?

Let's face one harsh reality for Xavier fans...the shootout doesn't mean near as much as it used to. Xavier isn't evil. No one would have wanted to watch Darth Vader chase down and overtake Luke and Hans.

UC fans have never really cared about the Shootout as much as X fans, going back to Oscar Robinson. When good, UC had Final Four aspirations and losing to X never took that away. When bad, eh...UC fans were pretty apathetic towards the program. On the flip side, X often needed that win for NCAA at-large hopes. It was your beacon. Your Super Bowl.

Flip the roles and no one cares about the plight of the underdog Bearcats, whose fans have turned the bulk of their attention to football.

So do I have a feel for a rivalry that means more to one side than the other? Yeah.

As an Ohio State fan, I also have a feel for a rivalry that means everything to both sides.

surfxu
12-13-2008, 02:13 PM
F Adam, F uc, F yancy! Thanks to yancy there is now bulletin board material. He will be shown who has a higher profile program in the beatdown of his life tonight. I'm with Xeus and Xpectations on this one. yancy and uc can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. I just hope we walk away from this game with a 20 point victory and no injuries. LET'S GO X and anyone in our way can go eat a bag of dicks like Adamthecryer.

sweet16
12-13-2008, 02:19 PM
I agree with Will. I think we may might be treating this kid a little too harshly. Have any of you on here calling him a punk even seen him play in any game other than the St. X game last year? He's a kid, riding the emotional roller coaster that kids do.

In the end, this thread looks like a bunch of sour grapes because we lost out on this guy. I, for one, still wish that he had come here because he is a man child who will grow into a great player. That, and I have faith that Sean and Sr. Rose would be able to help him mature past any emotional/attitude problems that he may or may not have.

I for one am glad he didn't end up at X so there are no sour grapes here. When an entire team huddles around a coach during a timeout and one player stands off by himself (regardless of age)........well I think that is a defining characteristic........and the definition is punk-ass. He will implode before his career is over in Clifton.

sweet16
12-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Well, true to form, Gates sets the tone for the game with the first technical, proceeds to score two points, and generally is a non-factor. I don't care if Frease headbutted Gates or vice versa........Gates initiated the confrontation by getting in his face and talking shit. He is a punk-ass.

XURunner85
12-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Where was Yancy tonight???? Oh yeah being schooled by the Muskies.....it was great that he got the first technical...true to form Yancy.....yeah he will be playing in Europe someday....

The Artist
12-13-2008, 10:32 PM
When Gates got his 4th, I yelled "SIDDOWN NANCY". Struck a nerve bigtime with a guy about 5 rows in front of me.

jdm2000
12-13-2008, 10:34 PM
He's a physical specimen, but he's also years away from the NBA. Love really played great defense on him tonight, as well.

In fact, mad props to J-Love for his all around game tonight. He is definitely a glue guy, just does all the stuff you need him to do. Great job, Jason.

xuwin
12-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Well, true to form, Gates sets the tone for the game with the first technical, proceeds to score two points, and generally is a non-factor. I don't care if Frease headbutted Gates or vice versa........Gates initiated the confrontation by getting in his face and talking shit. He is a punk-ass.

Both players were given a Technical.

X Factor
12-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Love was really good on the defensive end. One play Yancy took it right at Jason and JL made him eat the ball. Big time block.

bobbiemcgee
12-13-2008, 10:37 PM
Loved the head butt from Kenny.....he got right into what this game is all about...bawahahahaha....Sean was trying to calm him down on the sidelines but didn't seem to be working.

X-band '01
12-13-2008, 10:55 PM
Is this HUGE rivalry game sold out yet? How big can a rivalry be when one of the brothers cares more about what cousin Brian is doing?

Call us when you renew the Gem City Classic with Wright State.

xubball93
12-13-2008, 10:57 PM
I appreciate Yancy backing up this thread with the first T of the night.

I did think Dbrown's first T was ticky-tack. Good for Kenny for not backing down.

Cheesehead
12-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Adam, I guess the UD -XU game is no longer a rivalry too since we have owned the Cryers the past 20 years. Two words: Jimmy Carter. That would be the last time UD has won in Cincy. So, eat it. I was at the St. X game as well and I too, saw a kid whose effort was severely lacking. He was yelling at his teammates, didn't participate in the huddles and looked like an all-around head case.

This doesn't mean he cannot be a good player but I came away very unimpressed w/ his performance and ATTITUDE...

Jumpy
12-13-2008, 11:35 PM
When Gates got his 4th, I yelled "SIDDOWN NANCY". Struck a nerve bigtime with a guy about 5 rows in front of me.

that was you, Artist? Well done. Had my brother and I laughing for a good 5 minutes.

wkrq59
12-14-2008, 01:28 AM
There are other reasons for Xavier not to think much of Yancy Gates and definitely not to recruit him after a time.
This has been said by several people outside the Withrow High School circles and by several very unhappy Withrow faculty people.
If you recall, during the course of his career at Withrow, Yancy was suspended by McBride on more than one occasion, especially during his senior year.
When numerous people who don't know you tell you the same story in different settings, you think it just might be true. Yancy Gates relatives were so incensed at Walt McBride for damaging Yancy's chances to be a one-and-done that they pressured the school administrators to have McBride given the heave-ho. His contract was not renewed.
Check out Walt's record at Withrow. Not too shabby. From the day after that St. X High game, Yancy's people were all over McBride and the Withrow administration.
But there was more. If you recall, Gates and Adrion Graves were teammates at Hughes, Yates a sophomore and Graves a senior. Both played on the same summer league teams. BOTH WERE TICKETED FOR UC. When Huggins pulled his power play and Nancy Zmpher called his bluff, Adrion said he was all set to go to UC and after he signed with Xavier, Huggins tried to get him to jump ship and come to Kansas State.
Gates and Graves have been good friends and when Graves encountered his difficulties as a freshman, played very little as a sophomore despite many, many opportunities, Yancy was right there with the old "Come with me to UC."
When Graves decided to transfer and asked for his release, I believe Xavier agreed to the release on the condition that he not transfer to UC or any other A10 team. Graves would have had to pay full freight for his transfer year had he not agreed. And by that time, Xavier had long since backed off Yates.
The UC beat writer is definitely not fond of Xavier for any number of reasons, including the fact he went to UD for a couple of years before transferring to UC and getting his degree there.
Any chance any Enquirer reporter gets to stir the rivalry by putting words in the mouth of a kid like Gates, he does.
Also face this fact. This year, even though it was held at UC, the shootout had lost some of its lustre in the eyes of the Huggins lovers still at UC. That pre-game story was just another attempt to fire up the UC troops.but Xavier didn't bite.
The first 10 minutes, hell the entire first half, the UC kids, Yancy especially, were so jacked they didn't do the things that got them to 6-1, albeit againt lesser competition. Even Jay Bilas saw it and said, "The UC players need to calm down and play the game. They are too hyper."
All of which brings up the matter of coaching. Sean won that battle hands down. Nothing against Mick. Even if he did take his tie off.:D

drudy23
12-14-2008, 02:07 AM
Yancy Gates is a pansy. He got head-butted and did nothing. He's a waste of scholarship. He's my new favorite person to hate....way to help your team, jackass...he sucks.

Go sit with Donald Little and burn someone.

jdm2000
12-14-2008, 07:34 AM
Call us when you renew the Gem City Classic with Wright State.

Gem City JAM, X-Band! How could you not know that?