PDA

View Full Version : This board's basketball IQ

Fred Garvin
11-29-2008, 03:52 AM
By my count this team has won two games by going 3-2 zone. Just go to the "will we see any zone" thread to see how little you all know about hoops. It's on the basketball forum.

But the funniest comment out of that thread comes from Filly in all her vainglory. I love thiis:

Filly: "Let's give this squad some time before we make any big-time declarations on this subject."

Ha! Filly seems to think her every comment is gonna be parsed by future civilizations.
It's a basketball message board!

Maybe Filly just got tired of viewing those "creepy" photos of beautiful women Glow posts.

drudy23
11-29-2008, 08:06 AM
It's amazing how basketball around the world continues without you.

You're like a basketball prophet...and usually the ones who think they know everything are the ones that can't play.

Show me some evidence of your basketball skills (which I doubt exist), and then we'll care about how "right" you are.

golfitup
11-29-2008, 08:53 AM
I still hate zone with a passion.

Stonebreaker
11-29-2008, 09:34 AM
I let my assistant (shown in my signature) do all my thinking about basketball.

PMI
11-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Yea Fred. Show some evidence on an internet message board that you can play basketball, because if you can't, then your opinion doesn't matter. drudy is a great baller because he told us he is on the internet.

MHettel
11-29-2008, 11:06 AM
I don't know that we "won those games by using a zone."

In fact, we did use LIMITED zone as part of our defensive gameplans in those games, and in fact we won. I'm not entirely convinced there is a huge CAUSE / EFFECT relationship going on there.

The zone is used a couple times a game, for a handful of possessions each time. It's a good tactic for coming out of timeouts, or trying to work some clock when holding onto a lead.

We'll probably continue to see it used more as a tactic as opposed to a full time defensive strategy.

muskienick
11-29-2008, 11:16 AM
The fact that the 3-point line is a foot farther removed from the hoop could be another reason why we might see the zone used occasionally by the Muskies against select teams.

Sean and his staff will exploit the weaknesses of each opposing team separately. If there is one that has proven to be lacking from the perimeter, then why wouldn't a team run a somewhat packed zone against them, thus inviting them to take the longer range shot rather than attempting to penetrate or feed the post?

golfitup
11-29-2008, 11:32 AM
The fact that the 3-point line is a foot farther removed from the hoop could be another reason why we might see the zone used occasionally by the Muskies against select teams.

Sean and his staff will exploit the weaknesses of each opposing team separately. If there is one that has proven to be lacking from the perimeter, then why wouldn't a team run a somewhat packed zone against them, thus inviting them to take the longer range shot rather than attempting to penetrate or feed the post?

good point

waggy
11-29-2008, 01:22 PM
I couldn't even determine the way it was worded if the question was whether we would employ a zone, or if our opponents would.

drudy23
11-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Yea Fred. Show some evidence on an internet message board that you can play basketball, because if you can't, then your opinion doesn't matter. drudy is a great baller because he told us he is on the internet.

I've got no issues showing you my basketball skills. Anytime you want to play, let me know. Problem is, when I issue the challenge, all I ever hear are crickets.

FYI...it is the House of Smack.

PMI
11-30-2008, 10:17 AM
This is the house of smack. Of course, it could also be used as an outlet to subtly vent about how nobody wants to play with you.

Seriously, nobody cares about your "basketball skills." I'll bet you're the guy who jacks up 28 threes a game in your men's league. You probably take it all seriously like Jimmy from that Seinfeld episode.

"Drudy wants the ball. Pass it to Drudy."

http://www.m7bedlam.com/seinfeld/jimmy10.JPG

Xman95
11-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Actually, Drudy's correct. If you don't have the ability to play the game, there's no way you can understand it, let alone coach it. And, along the same lines, it probably holds true that the better you are as a player, the better coach you would make.

So, now is the time when I think we start the push to fire Sean Miller and hire Shawn Kemp. Come on, one was a PG at Pitt. The other was an NBA All-Star who proved capable of fathering 1,000 kids (and by "fathering" I simply mean planting a seed). Obviously physical talent is what makes someone educated on the game.

Oh, and if Kemp doesn't want the gig, maybe we could lure Magic Johnson back into coaching. He did a great job for the Lakers!

On a similar note, here's a list for future coaching legends in other sports:

BASEBALL: Manny Ramirez, Albert Belle, A-Rod (with Madonna as his bench coach, dressed as "All the Way" Mae)

FOOTBALL: Terrell Owens, Plaxico Burress, Ryan Leaf (that's working out well)

drudy23
11-30-2008, 12:39 PM
The usual responses.

What is the point of the House of Smack anyway?

PMI
11-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Theoretically it's for posters who want to talk shit and be challenged back. But I guess responses like "the usual responses" will suffice here too.