PDA

View Full Version : Just had to post this quote on our win from our friends up North.

MuskiePimp23
11-22-2008, 06:33 AM
"I know I'm suppose to root for Xavier during the non-conference portion of their schedule to help beef up the prestige of the A-10. I'm sorry. I just can't do it. I want them to lose every game they play, even intra-squad scrimmages. I have Xavier envy in the worst way. Dante's half court heave was just another dagger in my heart. They've beaten us 7 times in a row at least. Will my misery EVER end? I know I'm not alone.

I'm looking for a support group. Please help me. "

I almost never go to the udpride board, but wanted to see what they were saying about our win...Most of the quotes were envious or jealous of our success in winning A-10 Championships, Elite Eights, outrecruiting ud, etc...I got a good laugh out of this one though.

PMI
11-22-2008, 11:11 AM
That does have to be a kick in the nuts to see the team you hate so much win like that. But that's why they're Dayton and we're Xavier. The sooner they realize and accept that the sooner they will be able to move on with their 3rd world lives.

mr. zimpher
11-22-2008, 11:44 AM
That does have to be a kick in the nuts to see the team you hate so much win like that. But that's why they're Dayton and we're Xavier. The sooner they realize and accept that the sooner they will be able to move on with their 3rd world lives.

Who is this "Dayton" of which you speak?

Jumpy
11-22-2008, 01:21 PM
That one post describes their major malfunction to a T. They are too myopic. Their only concern is proving to themselves that they are as good as us. They need to end this sibling jealousy and realize that both programs are independent of each other and realize that the mark of a good program isn't how well they stack up against one specific team, but against the entire country. They just refuse to look at the big picture.

kyxu
11-22-2008, 01:34 PM
That one post describes their major malfunction to a T. They are too myopic. Their only concern is proving to themselves that they are as good as us. They need to end this sibling jealousy and realize that both programs are independent of each other and realize that the mark of a good program isn't how well they stack up against one specific team, but against the entire country. They just refuse to look at the big picture.

I think you're right on the money with this post, jumpy.

Bobinski addressed this specifically when he said that, in relation to UC, in order for Xavier to grow as a program, we have to stop looking at one game (the Crosstown Shootout) as a make-or-break for our season. Before that time, our toughest opponent of the season would often be UC, and if we lost, there went our chance. Now, we're scheduling more and better top-tier teams on our schedule, making games against UC just one of many.

waggy
11-22-2008, 01:38 PM
I guess you guys are going under the assumption that every single thing posted on a UD board is an actual UD fan. I think you have to spend some time on a board to figure out who's who.

BBC 08
11-22-2008, 01:42 PM
I guess you guys are going under the assumption that every single thing posted on a UD board is an actual UD fan. I think you have to spend some time on a board to figure out who's who.

But why would we want to spend time on a ud board?

kyxu
11-22-2008, 01:44 PM

You have a point, but I'd rather not.

waggy
11-22-2008, 01:50 PM
"Internet posters" are some of the screwiest people I know. Maybe I'm naive, or just flat wrong, but I think there is bigger percentage of Dayton fans that have no problem with X, than the other way around. When you think about it, you're not limited in college ball by your rivals. The tournament takes 65 teams. You can be good enough even if your rival is better.

AdamtheFlyer
11-22-2008, 01:56 PM

Wonderful. I tried expressing this point to the UDPride folks last year, and I was pretty much ridiculed by the legions of stupids.

UD can lose every game to Xavier from here to eternity and still win every conference title, and even every national title if you want to take it that far. I guess it's a product of a fanbase that is largely Ohio State football fans, they think the big rivalry in basketball is the same way. It's not. Basketball rivalries have ramifications that last a day, not a year like in football. They would have you believe that losing to X three times kept them from the dance. They won't listen to talk of the La Salle debacle, or losing to Duquesne at home. X was the only path to the dance.

I want to beat X so bad it hurts. When we finally break through and win at the 'Tas, I will do the happy dance to end all happy dances. But win or lose, when I wake up the next day I don't feel the level of accomplishment or despair that I do after the OSU/Michigan football game.

My favorite Xavier envy-ism: We need to beat X for recruiting!

Oh, really. I hadn't noticed that every recruit on X was down to a UD or X choice and chose X because they won the last game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the only true battle X and UD fought for a player on either roster was Dante Jackson. Brown wasn't a battle, Wright wasn't a battle, UD was in on Redford but had every player they signed higher on their wishlist, we never were hot on Frease. Staten wasn't a battle, Payne isn't a major X target. I like Dante just fine, but UD would not be measurably better with him, and X wouldn't be measurably worse without him. Why? Because Dante Jackson was not the only option for either team. He just happened to be a guy that liked both schools a lot, and chose one over the other in the end.

I honestly believe that a (far too large) percentage of UD fans would take a perennial NIT spot while beating X twice over going to the dance 3 of every 5 years if it meant losing to X 85% of the time. I go to games, talk to other fans...and that's the attitude they exude. It's downright laughable.

Sorry for the long, rambling post. This topic is my biggest pet peeve.

Cheesehead
11-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Jimmy Carter. Sorry, couldn't resist.

X-band '01
11-23-2008, 12:19 PM
I thought this thread was going to have something to do with Michigan, Ohio State, and Toledo. Silly me.

Ledgewood
11-23-2008, 02:42 PM
i root for ud when they arent playing us to make our win taste better. this is perhaps a greater form of hatred, because i want their disappointment to really hurt. but this is only cuz we play them 2-3 times a year. in ohio state's case, i want them to lose every game they ever play in evrey sport, get hurt, lose their wives to better lovers, and cry...cry bitter, painful, stupid buckeye tears.

dayton fans like this turdbump are obviously immensely jealous of xu's relatively recent success, but they are just going to have to get used to it. itll be a long time(if ever) that dayton passes xu up. i jst dont see them ever out-recruiting us, and we dang sure know they arent going to out-coach us.

Firehose
11-23-2008, 07:18 PM
The best comparison I can think of right now is The Selmons from Oklahoma. Sure, Lee Roy was a hall-of-famer up and down at Defensive End, but Lucious was a concensus All-American as a Defensive Tackle, as was Dewey at Linebacker and Nose Guard. We can co-exist and be great side by side. We can push each other to be better, and sure, head-to-head we'll be almost unnaturally cruel to each other, but there's an old Arabic saying that I think is applicable to our relationship:

"Me against my brother. My brother and me against my cousin. Me and my cousin against the stranger."

nuts4xu
11-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Adamtheflyer is the most level headed ud poster I have seen in all my years on these message boards. I respect his opinions MUCH more than the usual melon humpers and trolls on some of these boards.

The envy that permeates through the ud fan base is tangible. I just can't picture the team that ends the streak that in 8 more weeks will extended to 6 different presidents (3 of which had 2 terms in office).