PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Sample dies

Fred Garvin
11-22-2008, 01:18 AM
The Reds longtime official scorer, that is at least how I knew him, passed away. Turns out he was an all american for Sid Gilliam at UC.
I'm betting Q could start his own thread that is more dignified.

Prayers for Mr. Sample.

wkrq59
11-22-2008, 01:47 AM
No, Fred, that's quite dignified, sir. I considered Glenn Sample a friend. I saw him go through hell when Mike MGee was athletic director and tried to fire him and Jim Kelly Sr. But he made a big mistake and didn't check with university personnel. While he was still athletic director way back when, George Smith made sure Glenn, Jim and one other member of the athletic department who was also a teacher received tenure from the university. McGee couldn't fire them but he surely made their lives hell every day in every way.
One thing about Glenn was his honesty. He was scrupulously honest and he often worried about controversial rulings as an official scorer. I don't think he was ever asked by MLB to overturn one of his rulings. And he was one helluva nice guy, as are Russ Nixon, Frey, Zimmer, and another contemporary of theirs, Rose.
Requiescant en Pace:(

Xaveriana
11-22-2008, 09:20 AM
I knew Glenn for the 8 years I worked in the Cincinnati Reds Front Office.
Devoted. Honest. Friendly.
He will be missed.

Reds Press Release: http://reds.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20081121&content_id=3688644&vkey=pr_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Glenn Sample Chat: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1765838

xavierdude
11-22-2008, 09:28 AM
I met the guy a couple years ago. He gives excellent speeches. And as a huge baseball (and reds) fan, I found him very interesting. Really down to earth guy. He told stories about how marty would come over and say, "you sure about that (scoring)?" Was a great person to talk to. I remember listening to him and longing to be an official scorer for the Reds. It would be a dream of mine. but I realize the tough road that one has to go through to get such a prestigious and controversial position. Still, I'd love to do it!

Billy
11-24-2008, 04:23 PM
He was a damn good offical scorer.

Kahns Krazy
11-24-2008, 04:32 PM
UC did a nice tribute to him Saturday night at the game.