PDA

View Full Version : UMass @ Memphis

West is Best
11-17-2008, 11:33 PM
Start time on this game is terrible considering the teams involved. I'm not sure how ESPN talked people into playing so late on a Monday and on Tuesday afternoon.

Anyways, so far neither UMass nor Memphis are playing all that well. UMass has given Memphis a lot of offensive boards early on. Not boxing out as much as they should, and generally letting the ball come to them instead of going to get it. This could be a weakness that X can really exploit.

UMass really likes to go to the paint, but they are turning the ball over way too much. 8 turnovers in the first 9 minutes. This could be a recurring problem for them: PG Chris Lowe has 0 assists and 10!! Turnovers against Southern Illinois.

jhrelax
11-17-2008, 11:35 PM
This is nothing but street ball.....neither team can shoot and there must be 15 turnovers already...

waggy
11-17-2008, 11:48 PM
Dykes gets on my nerves. I'd almost rather listen to Vitale.

GoMuskies
11-17-2008, 11:51 PM
Xavier/Memphis would be an interesting matchup. Xavier would destroy Memphis in the halfcourt game. However, Memphis might well just abuse our guards and spend a lot of time playing transition basketball. Hope we get to see it in the championship game this weekend.

So far, this Memphis/UMass game has been just awful.

AdamtheFlyer
11-17-2008, 11:52 PM
Dykes gets on my nerves. I'd almost rather listen to Vitale.

Every bit of his "analysis" comes right after something happens. Someone steps out of bounds, Jimmy says "One of the effects of the new three point line could be guys stepping out of bounds".

It's just a privilege to hear his mind at work.

STL_XUfan
11-17-2008, 11:56 PM
Umass just looks exhausted already. I am sure that eventually this run offense will work for them, but they don't look like they are conditioned to handle it yet.

waggy
11-18-2008, 12:00 AM
Every bit of his "analysis" comes right after something happens. Someone steps out of bounds, Jimmy says "One of the effects of the new three point line could be guys stepping out of bounds".

It's just a privilege to hear his mind at work.

Loved being informed that Tyreke Evans hasn't missed a class.

West is Best
11-18-2008, 12:03 AM
Watching this makes me feel a lot better about where X is at this point in the season. They get down the floor well, but rely on the driving to the paint to create offense. UMass's bigs don't look like they will be able to establish position in the low post.

If we can stay with them on defense, UMass should be a very favorable matchup for XU. Memphis's shotblockers are really frustrating UMass's guards. Brown and McLean should be a huge assets in this matchup.

waggy
11-18-2008, 12:18 AM
The refs could call Lowe for a carry every time down the court if they wanted to.

Billy
11-18-2008, 12:27 AM
I can't deal with the two-tone unis being sported by Memphis. The back half of them appear to be a pale grey.

STL_XUfan
11-18-2008, 12:27 AM
don't worry in another two weeks they will forget that call even exists

waggy
11-18-2008, 12:32 AM
That Gaffney kid is a fun player to watch.

PM Thor
11-18-2008, 12:58 AM
I like it. Gaffney is everywhere. Too bad no one else showed up.

So we have to lock down Gaffney for Umass. Noted.

I HATE dayton.

Billy
11-18-2008, 01:04 AM
Did Dykes just say that Tyreke Evans is more hyped as a freshman than Derrick Rose was??

Is that humanly possible?

waggy
11-18-2008, 01:10 AM
Dykes is a bullshitter, plain and simple. He's something worthwhile once in a while, I guess.