PDA

View Full Version : Xavier -17 SIUE-14

nickgyp
10-25-2008, 05:04 PM
FYI:

Just got back from my daughter's retreat closing ceremony but befoe I left, I did receive a call from WR Dan Deters' father, Dan Sr.,that Xavier and SIUE were tied at halftime 14-14. This was after SIUE had opened up a 14-0 lead but Xavier scored two frist half TDs. One was on a pass play to I believe was Anton Daniels who made what was described as a nice catch on a ball thrown into the wnd. QB Chris Greenwood ran for a 7 yd. TD to even up the score (It would appear Craig Hallman's PAT kicks were both good.)

The first half was described as being played in gusty, windy conditions and Greenwood threw 3 interceptions with the defense not looking very good initiiallly. When I asked what the prospects were for the second half, Dan Sr. predictied a XU win of 28-14 or 28-21 based on X's improvement at the end of the first half.

Just got home and my daughter told me coach Powers called to say X won 17-14. Dan Sr. also called and left a message that X won 17-14 on a 27 yd. field goal into the wind by Hallman. He also stated that the second half was marred by turnovers and that SIUE appeared to wear down because several of its players were going both ways., X's record stands 4-1 for the season and 2-0 in the club conference.

Congrats to coach Powers, coaches and players!

xudash
10-25-2008, 10:40 PM
I am all for Xavier Club Football.

I especially like how this outfit has come out of the gate and established a winning tradition in short order.

Thanks for the update nick.

nickgyp
10-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Spoke to Coach Powers today and he related to me how X won this game. What follows is what he sent to me in e-mail form:

Edwardsville, IL: Craig Hallman kicked a 27 - yard field goal with 2:36 left in the game and the Xavier Musketeers (4-1, 2-0 MCFC) held on for a 17 - 14 comeback win in Saturday's Midwestern Club Football Conference action against the Southern Illinois University - Edwardsville Cougars (1-3, 0-2 MCFC). Both teams were plagued by turnovers the entire game (12 combined), but the Musketeers newfound running game (184 total yards) alllowed them to stay in the game and eventually helped them to overcome their early 14-point deficit.

LB Andrew Dornbrook led the XU defense with 2 interceptions, 8 tackles, and a deflected punt. Also having interceptions were DBs Eric Miles, David Pergolini, Andon Daniels, and D-lineman James Tilton. LBs Phil Migitz and Brett Hoyer chipped in with nine tackles each.

Backup runningback, Brian Hoyer had 176 yards on 34 carries and one TD for the Muskies and A. Daniels (3 receptions: 38 yards) also caught a 7-yard pass from Chris Greenwood to get the Musketeers on the scoreboard in the second quarter. Dan Deters led the XU receivers with 3 catches for 51 yards.

The Musketeer CLub Football Team travels to Oxford, Ohio next Sunday (Nov. 2) for a rematch with the Miami Redhawks in their annual "Clash for the Club" game. Kickoff is 12:00 noon.

1 2 3 4 total
XU Musketeers 0 14 0 3 17
SIUE Cougars 14 0 0 0 14

SIUE 8-yard run (run good)
SIUE 5-yard pass (run failed)
XU Daniels 7-yard pass from Greenwood (Hallman Kick)
XU Brian Hoyer 18-yard run (Hallman Kick)
XU Hallman 27-yard FG

Xavier (4-1, 2-0 MCFC); SIUE (1-3, 0-2 MCFC)

Tom Powers, Jr.
(513) 746-5449
tepowersjr@yahoo.com

p.s. Sometimes having a little luck on your side helps. Saturday it helped alot, but your Musketeers battled hard after a very sluggish start and never gave up. They kept fighting until they finally wore down our opponent and came out victorious. Hope to see you all in Oxford next Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO MUSKETEERS !!!
"All For One and One For All"

Display posts from previous: All posts1 day7 days2 weeks1 month3 months6 months1 year Sort by AuthorPost timeSubject AscendingDescending
Page 1 of 1
[ 3 posts ]

Board index » Xavier Basketball Chatboards » Xavier Men's Basketball