PDA

View Full Version : Who starts at PF in place of Harris?

cinskyline
10-25-2008, 12:28 AM
I'm was just thinking about the fallout from Amber's injury. What do you think McGuff will do now to the starting lineup? I think he has a couple of options:

-- He could just start April Phillips at PF and hope she doesn't get in foul trouble

-- He could move Hester to PF and use a three guard lineup (like say Special, Jerri, and Jernigan/Tudy)

This should be interesting.

STL_XUfan
10-25-2008, 08:40 AM
I think the first option is the most likely for a starting line up. Foul trouble is now going be a very big deal with this team.

Do you know anything about Moore, and if she will be able to take at least some quality minutes during the season?

XU-PA
10-26-2008, 06:43 AM
I still don't know how the 1 and 2 positions shake out, but with Harris down, it's really a no brainer.
T-Phil at the post,
Mo and A-Phil share the 3 and 4 position.

Unfortunately I didn't have the chance to see opening night at Cintas, and GoXavier was a bit light on details. How did Mo look?
Last year it looked like if she could have dropped just a little weight, she might be more effective, not saying she was overweight or anything like that.

Was there a guard pair that showed strong on opening night? I'd love to see Jerri and Tudy able to run the show, both showed glimpses of there leadership ability last year. The other 5 returning guards, Barringer, Askew, and the 3 J's all showed ability last year, and should make the XU backcourt a real force all the way down the bench.

muskienick
10-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Here are my early observations from the scrimmage Friday evening:

Mo was great from the perimeter and didn't hurt the team on defense.
April will have to play PF.
I really feel good with Tudy in the game; she does so many things to help the team and some don't show up in the box score. I think when either April or Mo needs a rest or must sit with fould trouble, the other one could play the 4 and Tudy could slide into the 3 if the matchup isn't too extreme.
It appears that we will again be a bit weak in the backcourt (but I hope I'm wrong on that). If nothing else, we must get better FG %'s from the players used most at the two guard positions.
This team must also show a better commitment to improving their free throw shooting over last year's squad.
Moore and Martin can provide 10 more fouls down low, but we lose a lot of speed and effectiveness when either of them are on the floor.

Obviously, what we saw Friday must be taken with a grain of salt. I expect to see quite a bit of improvement once the women start to feel comfortable together as teammates and get more experience running the new offenses and defenses (and, did I mention, taking pride in their free throw shooting?).

X-band '01
10-26-2008, 05:09 PM
On Friday, we saw a lineup of Taylor, Jennings, Hester, April, and Ta'Shia. If our backcourt can take the load off of Ta'Shia and April, that will keep defenses from completely collapsing the post (like Dayton did twice last year and Nebraska in the NCAA Tournament). I also agree with Nick that FT shooting has to improve as well, but I would still expect defense to be a trademark with this team.

In the end, I think it becomes harder to win in the noncon slate given the schedule, but the A-10 will be more forgiving this year.

Bigbluebrotha
10-27-2008, 10:31 AM
I think Tudy Reed starts and rotates with April Phillips and Moe Hester. To me, Tudy is the linch pin to me. Through a combination of those three, they should be able to deliver points and rebounds. Moe and April have the ability to dig in and hit the boards - any offense they provide is a bonus. I think Reed has to carry the scoring load.

The issue will be replacing Amber's blocked shots, I really don't see anyone as a clear cut favorite to fill that role. Amber's ability to get out quickly and jump will be hard to replace. Ta'shia certainly can generate blocks, but obviously isn't as quick to the ball.

Should be interesting.

XUOHTX
11-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Has there been any word? Is she not red shirting this year?

XU-PA
11-06-2008, 10:41 AM
I think you'll see the red shirt answer come later than sooner, I'm not sure what the exact number is, but they don't have to decide till a certain number of games has passed in the regular season, or is it the number of games she has played?
In any case, don't expect it till the end of december at the earliest.

On the starting lineup, I wonder if the minutes that Moe H got in the exhibition is any indication of Coach Mc's thoughts on that.

Snow,,, Muskienick, any insight????

Bigbluebrotha
11-06-2008, 02:02 PM
The start time isn't a good way to start what is supposed to be marquee season for the ladies. Kind of stinks the team came out on the short side of a scheduling issue.

X-band '01
11-09-2008, 02:52 PM
They don't have to announce until the end of the season (if I'm not mistaken) that this would be a medical redshirt season for her. Once they make such an announcement, however, it can't be revoked.

Bigbluebrotha
11-10-2008, 10:25 AM
I think it will be:

Jennings, Taylor, Jernigan, Big T and Reed as the four with Phillips and Hester coming off the bench as needed.

They do lose a rebounding edge with that set and McGuff loves defense and rebounding, but the first five above are defnitely the best offensive set.