PDA

View Full Version : Brad Redford (Commit)

Muskie
06-27-2007, 01:29 PM
Position: PG
High School: Frankenmuth HS
Home Town: Frankenmuth (MI)
Number: TBD
Height: 6'0
Weight: 160

Highlights

Brad Redford committed to Xavier on March 24, 2007.

Mark 3 Pointer
01-16-2008, 07:20 AM
49 points last night... here's the link

http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/game/recap/76880/

dc_x
01-16-2008, 07:46 AM
He is a scoring machine.

What type of competition is he playing against? The article says the team is ranked 6th in Class B...is Class B the 2nd biggest or 2nd smallest?

pimpinthebox
01-16-2008, 07:54 AM
I've seen some video of that kid. Mostly just clips of him coming down court, pulling up, and popping 3's. Has anyone on here seen him live? Can he handle the ball? Can he penetrate? I imagine the answer is yes since he scored 49. Just trying to find out a bit more about how the kid plays.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Pimp

X Factor
01-16-2008, 08:43 AM
Redford is absolutely tearing it up. It will be great to have a shooter like Brad around for the next 4 years.

I've read quite a bit about Brad and it sounds like his defense and ballhandling (playmaking) are both underrated. His shooting is what always gets talked about and for good reason.

He's automatic from the foul line too, over a 90% shooter.

Muskie
01-16-2008, 08:59 AM
I'm looking forward to having a guy who can just sit back and be content to take the mid-range and long-range shots. It opens up the floor for the rest of the guys. In a few years Lyons will be able to toss the ball down to Frease, who will draw the double. Frease can then kick it out to Redford or Walsh for the wide open shot.

Michigan Muskie
01-16-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm heading up to Frankenmuth this Friday to watch Redford play. I'll post a full report later that night.

X Factor
01-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Nice. Look forward to reading your report.

waggy
01-16-2008, 10:11 AM
That kid gets to take just about every one of his teams shots. I hope he can adjust to a balanced scoring attack. I'm sure there are no worries, but it is going to be quite a change for him.

American X
01-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Jimmy Chitwood.

Snipe
01-16-2008, 12:15 PM
I have seen some of those same YouTube videos Pimp. The kid loves to jack it up. I guess that goes without saying when you are scoring 49 points. How many shots does that take?

Muskie
01-16-2008, 12:38 PM
That kid gets to take just about every one of his teams shots. I hope he can adjust to a balanced scoring attack. I'm sure there are no worries, but it is going to be quite a change for him.

He'll definitely have to share the ball with Frease and Co.

Mark 3 Pointer
01-16-2008, 12:59 PM
he was 15 for 29 with 6 threes last night. Thats a lot of shooting... However he did have a game earlier this season that he shot 11-12 from three and scored 47. Shooting percentage wise last night was one of his average performances.

BlueX
01-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Some more info on Redford at this site. Check out the article entitled "On the Defensive" where an opposing player talks about him.

http://greatlakeshoops.com/

jimmyj127
01-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Class B is the second biggest in Michigan.

Michigan Muskie
01-19-2008, 01:00 AM
As promised, I am here to report my perspective on 2008 Xavier recruit Brad Redford after watching his Frankenmuth Eagles take down the Bridgeport Bearcats in Frankenmuth.

Let me preface this review with an overall generalization that I was not disappointed. I also do not know how many points he scored because I didn't get a stats sheet and lost track. If I had to guess, I'd say mid 20s. Solid player. Good kid. Pure shooter. Ice in his veins. Automatic from the line.

The highlight of the night? He set a new Michigan state record with consecutive free throws made (70) and through 12 games has missed only two foul shots all season. That's sick.

Other observations: Frankenmuth does not feature a true point guard. Redford actually shares this duty and will bring the ball up the court about half the time. He is a confident and competent ball handler and although he will never be accused of being the fastest guy on the team, he has a nice crossover move that helps him explode toward the basket. He also goes behind his back effortlessly. He scored on drives to the basket and also was able to find teammates wide open because of the double and triple teams he drew when penetrating. He passed to the wing, and he passed to the post. He sees everything.

Frankenmuth was able to build a lead gradually for two and half quarters thanks to a well-executed offense. Redford could take every shot for this team, and I think there were a few times tonight where he took shots that he would second guess when watching the game tape. That said, he is certainly the go-to guy on this team, so a score-first mentality would be easy to understand. The good news is, those poor shot selections were few and far between. And a couple of them fell anyway.

What impressed me was his court vision. He attracts defenders like mosquitos to a bug zapper but is quite adept at finding the open man. He takes care of possessions and rarely makes careless/lazy passes.

Bridgeport is a faster, taller, and peskier team than Frankenmuth. They played full court man-to-man or full court pressed for more than three quarters, particularly when they were trailing by 17 points late in the 3rd quarter. Redford's only turnover I can recall was when Bridgeport was pressing hard in the 4th quarter. Without a true point guard to break the press, Frankenmuth blew the 17 point lead and let the Bearcats back within 4. Redford did not attempt to break the 3/4 court press on his own because the Bearcats were trapping aggressively.

Here is part two of what impressed me. Redford took control late in the 4th quarter. He demanded the ball and was able to draw fouls. Of course, from the line, he is a machine. I was pleased to see his stroke wasn't fazed by the HUGE momentum swing in the final period. Instead, he essentially iced the game with three trips to the line in the final 90 seconds. One foul shot MAY have grazed the front rim. Strings were snapping all night.

After the win, my son and I greeted Brad on the court. He saw me coming with my college-block XAVIER sweatshirt and as I extended my hand to congratulate his performance and Michigan record, he said, "I like your shirt." I told him it's going to be a pleasure to watch him for the next four years. After a few more small-talk exchanges, he gladly honored my request to pose with my son for a picture - all smiles the whole time. He was genuinely appreciative of the fact that we came to watch his team. And now I realize that I must have accidentally deleted the picture from my phone. Damn it anyway.

So it's 1:30 AM and I need to wrap this up. The trip to Frankenmuth and back was more than worth the drive. Besides, I had the pleasure of some quality one-on-one time with my fifth grader which makes the rest of the night mere icing on the cake. Brad Redford is a good find for X. His shot is spot on. The release is quick - not Alvin Brown at-the-belly-button quick, but quick. He can hit from the expanded 3-point line with no problem. Xavier could have used Redford in Philly a few days ago.

Ratings:

Ball handling: Above average for HS. NCAA defenders will force him to step up his game.

Quickness: Average for HS - needs to think faster to defend better at the college level

Awareness: Above average. Great court vision. Great offensive savvy. Stays in control.

Shooting: Perhaps the best shooter in the state. Unquestionably the best foul shooter.

Defense: Will need to work harder and perhaps hit the weight room. His awareness helps.

Rebounding: Non factor. Will get garbage rebounds with his size (about 6 ft.) In fact, as a team, Frankenmuth is undersized and got out-boarded decisively. I don't know the final tally but the Bearcats were getting 5 or 6 shots per possession on more than one trip down the floor. Fortunately for F-muth, the 'Cats couldn't hit the Atlantic from Miami Beach.

Leadership: Above average. He took control of the game when his team depended on him. He also didn't blink under pressure - a sign of a great leader.

If I've left anything out that you want to know, please ask. I'd like to see him play again, and I hope they play in SE michigan during the post season so I don't have to drive 75 miles each way to watch!

DC Muskie
01-19-2008, 03:43 AM
Good God that was an awesome report. Well done and thank you!

Stonebreaker
01-19-2008, 06:59 AM
Isn't there a Christmas village in Frankenmuth?

Michigan Muskie
01-19-2008, 07:36 AM
Isn't there a Christmas village in Frankenmuth?

Yes, and I have to admit that when we drove by the Bronner's Christmas Village en route to Frankenmuth HS, I felt like a little kid in awe of the magnificent display of lights and decor and grew a little sad that the holiday season is over. Frankenmuth is a very cool little town with a ton of character. And cheese.

X Factor
01-19-2008, 07:45 AM
70 free throws in a row?!?!?! WOW!! We know who'll be in late next year during a close game.

I've never seen Brad play, but from everything I've read, it sounds like we've got a really great, underrated player coming in next year.

Thanks for the great report!

Stonebreaker
01-19-2008, 08:13 AM
70 free throws in a row?!?!?! WOW!! We know who'll be in late next year during a close game.

That explains why he didn't go to UC. ;)

xufan02
01-19-2008, 09:57 AM
It will be interesting to see what the coaching staff does with Redford. With his great shooting ability do they play him off the ball or at the point? Also is he physically ready to play in the NCAA? Do they redshirt him and play Dante and Lyons at the point? What do you guys think?

Michigan Muskie
01-19-2008, 10:23 AM
It will be interesting to see what the coaching staff does with Redford. With his great shooting ability do they play him off the ball or at the point? Also is he physically ready to play in the NCAA? Do they redshirt him and play Dante and Lyons at the point? What do you guys think?

I don't think that he is currently ready to handle the role as a primary point guard at the NCAA level, and I doubt Miller recruited him for that. That said, he can bring the ball up the floor capably when called upon and it would be wise of X to put the ball in his hands late in the game when foul shooting is critical.

Physically he is average height for a guard and I will be surprised if he doesn't strengthen his upper body before next season.

I think mentally he is there. He is a confident player and seems to thrive under pressure. I envision the future inside-out threat of Frease and Redford and it makes me a little bit giddy.

Michigan Muskie
01-19-2008, 10:28 AM
I mistakenly wrote that Redford set the Michigan HS state record for most consecutive foul shots made. With his 70th in a row, he actually tied the record. He was 12 for 12 from the line and his shot brushed the front rim twice. I wonder how he will handle his next attempt to break the record. My money is on 71 and counting...

waggy
01-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the awesome report Mich Muskie. Can't wait to see next years recruits, including the transfer McLean.

American X
01-19-2008, 11:18 AM

I put no expectations on recruits, but the more I read the more I think Pat Carroll.

PM Thor
01-19-2008, 01:32 PM
I have heard that Redford doesn't play defense, or at least, isn't very good at it, or at least doesn't exert too much at it. Mich Muskie?

xuwin
01-19-2008, 01:53 PM
Great summary. In this day great free throw shooters are hard to find and it seems that X is getting more than their share of them. That is a great asset when you come down to the end of games. Hopefully speed is not an issue when it comes to playing defense.

Michigan Muskie
01-19-2008, 02:10 PM
I have heard that Redford doesn't play defense, or at least, isn't very good at it, or at least doesn't exert too much at it. Mich Muskie?

Redford's on-the-ball defense lacks the "first-step acceleration" necessary to play lock-down man-to-man defense. And yes, I used a lot of hyphens in that sentence. Redford committed three fouls last night; two hacks in the lane and one from behind because he was chasing his man down the court.

He shows a tendency to anticipate passes and denies passing lanes fairly effectively, but is vulnerable to getting taken off the dribble by a quicker player.

In a zone setting, he tends to fall back (packline?) and didn't extend his coverage outside when the ball rotated that way very quickly. Now, given the clinic of horrendous long-range shooting put on by Bridgeport, that may have been exactly the plan. Let 'em shoot.

As far as not exerting or not putting for the necessary effort defensively, it's tough to say. A high school ego can be humbled instantly at a program like Xavier. In my opinion, defense begins and ends with attitude, and from my brief exposure to Redford, I don't see him as coming to campus with a 'tude problem.

xufan02
01-23-2008, 07:34 AM
This kid continues to impress.http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/game/recap/76585/

Mark 3 Pointer
01-23-2008, 10:12 AM
and set an all-time Michigan free-throw record. Just another day at the office! Here's the link.

http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/game/recap/76585/

Xu Red Dogg
01-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Wow... very very impressive! I am excited to have Brad and the rest of the 2008 class here!

X Factor
01-23-2008, 12:32 PM
That is amazing! Mr. Roboto! BJ and Brad will kill zones next year.

73 free throws in a row!

I can't wait to see him in summer league.

American X
01-23-2008, 12:48 PM
If he shoots so many threes, how does he ever get foulded?

PM Thor
01-23-2008, 01:07 PM
""Bauer resorted to double-teaming Redford, sending out two defenders right at halfcourt and forgetting about one of the other Eagles, but that created other problems.
“I thought it worked (to slow down Redford) but I couldn’t do it too long because we could not rebound out of it,” Bauer said.""

The inside outside game of Redford and Frease (not to mention the others) will be quite impressive. I know I am forecasting big time here, but if a team steps out on Big Red, then that leaves the 7 footer in a 1 on 1 most likely. Teams would be cautious to go into a zone too, considering this kids outside stroke.

Man, this incoming class looks good right now.

msj61
01-24-2008, 02:31 PM
A little slow, high offensive iq, ridiculous pure shooter, average ballhandler....could be another Chris Lofton OR could be another Johnny Wolf. Those who have seen him in person, would you say that his game resembles either of these 2 guys?

dc_x
01-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Based on the video I have seen, he is a much better shooter than Wolf. Redford has a much quicker release and shoots from a higher point. Wolf's shot was slow and he released it from below his chin.

I think the question is whether he is big enough to consistently get the shot off against D1 competition. Also, if he plays the 2, will he be able to guard the opposing 2?

X Factor
01-26-2008, 08:25 AM
Ho-Hum....just another 36 point game for Brad Redford. It's amazing because it's not like he's a foot taller than everyone else. He's 6'0 and nobody can stop him. I think he has a good chance at playing more minutes than people think next year.

Quotes from the article:

Still, Frankenmuth was only in position to seal the victory because of Redford, who scored 19 points in the third quarter and finished with 36 points. Redford made six consecutive jumpers, including five 3-pointers in the quarter, to tie the game at 42-42 heading into the fourth quarter.

''We played tremendous defense ... I couldn't ask my players to do anything more than they did,'' Ithaca coach Bob Anderson said. ''Redford's the best pure shooter I've ever seen and the best player I've ever seen on this court. What a treat for this community to see a player like that.

''We couldn't stop him,'' Anderson said. ''We used a zone that we worked on just for this game. It's the only time all year we've played a zone. I thought it worked great, but you can only do so much in practice.

''There's no way you can simulate some of his shots. We don't have anyone who can shoot like that. He just kept stepping farther back and making them.''

Redford added two more 3s in the fourth quarter for a total of eight.

Brad Redord lights it up again (http://www.mlive.com/preps/sanews/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/120132846980850.xml&coll=9&thispage=2)

boozehound
01-31-2008, 09:29 AM
I really hope this kid can produce next year. We are going to be relying on some young guards, with Burrell and Lavendar leaving. Jackson looks like he may be the real deal, however I'm still not completely sold on Graves yet. He has definitely shown flashes, but overall I have been much more impressed with Dante than Adrian.

XU 87
01-31-2008, 10:30 AM
I just posted on another thread that I've heard (actually read) that there is some speculation that Redford will redshirt next year. I'm not real convinced about that prospect.

Does anyone know what level of competition Redford is playing against? Is it against smaller or larger schools?

boozehound
01-31-2008, 10:36 AM
I'm not really sure why he would redshirt. I guess it would depend partly on how much Jackson and Graves develop, but I don't see us with a tremendous amount of quality depth at the guard position next year. Plus it sounds like Redford can play some point, which would be helpful.

American X
01-31-2008, 10:58 AM
The only reason I could see to redshirt is atrocious defense. If Brad cannot play a lick of D, he will not see the floor under Sean anyway.

X Factor
02-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Nice article on Brad Redford. I hope he keeps tearing it up.

Only bad part about the article:

"The Frankenmuth point guard is not going to a major program, although Xavier University in Cincinnati, Ohio, has a better team than many ''majors'' from big conferences."

Ok...this guy knows nothing about Xavier.

The rest of the article is very good though.

Scoring Machine (http://www.mlive.com/highschool/saginawnews/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/120179284919520.xml&coll=9)

sirthought
02-02-2008, 09:20 PM
This guy sounds unbelievable. I really hope he's able to continue that kind of shooting at the college level.

Xu Red Dogg
02-05-2008, 07:25 PM
My friend texted me and said Redford dropped 50+ tonight and his FT streak is well over 90.

I don't have any details beyond that.

Other than Terrelle Pryor coming to Xavier and starting a football program, this is as good of news as you ca get on the eve of National Signing Day. (for football)

X Factor
02-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Redford scored 35 points........in the FIRST HALF!! He finished with a career high 52!

Got this information off a message board:

At the half he was 10-16 from the field (8-12 from three) and 7-7 from the free throw line.

He finished 17-17 from the line and now has the second longest strreak in the country ever for consecutive free throws made with 92 in a row! (Xavier record is 31 or 32) He needs 35 to break the national record.

This is what someone had to say about Brad:

"I've seen him play several times and he is a joy to watch. His 27 in the first quarter against Hemlock(an earlier game this year) was unbelievable. The whole gym was excited. He not only is incredible in hitting the 3's, but has to constantly run in circles like crazy to get open, handles the ball well, is speedy, can drive to the basket in traffic and makes off-balanced shots, plays great defense and get lots of steals. He can take over a game, if needed, but plays within his team and get assists and lots of support from the rest of the team. It will be interesting to see how he does at Xavier. Also, interesting to see how far Frankenmuth goes in the tournament, although I think they will be stopped before they get to Breslin. They beat a pretty talented Flint Southwestern team already, but there are some pretty good athletic teams in Class B."

I think Brad can have a big impact next year. I know a lot of people don't think he will get the minutes that Lyons will as a freshman, but I think he will surprise people.

His shooting ability is flat out amazing....

AviatorX
02-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Wow!

You can never have enough quality players that can shoot the lights out.

cinskyline
02-05-2008, 07:33 PM
That's amazing.

The 17-17 FT's is pretty impressive by itself. 92 in row is unbelievable.

joebba
02-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Bobby Knight said "Holy F****ing motherF****ing ****sucking bats**t. That F****ing guy can shoot the F****ing pi**ing s**t out of that GodD***ned monkey****ing ball. Pat you need to recruit your a** to get that F****ing mother on your team or I am gonna kick the s**t ou of you."

AviatorX
02-05-2008, 07:44 PM
My friend texted me and said Redford dropped 50+ tonight and his FT streak is well over 90.

I don't have any details beyond that.

Other than Terrelle Pryor coming to Xavier and starting a football program, this is as good of news as you ca get on the eve of National Signing Day. (for football)

You never know...on his basketball profile, Pryor has XU listed on his schools of interest.

"With the first pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins select Terrelle Pryor, Xavier University."

XU Dozer
02-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Freakin Amazing!!!! Let's hope he carrys this type of play on to campus next year. If he does it will certainly lessen the blow of losing Drew and Stanley.

xudash
02-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Regardless of the level of competition he is up against now - so that we may put that useless ding aside for any troll that otherwise would put that out there - he can flat out put the ball in the hole.

This level of proficiency stands on its own. He is a major league talent.

Mark 3 Pointer
02-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Dude Is Nasty!

xufan22
02-05-2008, 08:53 PM
No way! Does anyone know of a site to get his season stats? I would love to know his ppg this year because for the games I've heard about he probably scores around mid thirties. Amazing. And 90+ free throws- No one can put that down because it doesn't matter what competition your playing against when your at the line. We all know who will be in at the end of close ones next year!

Mark 3 Pointer
02-05-2008, 09:14 PM
After tonight he is averaging between 37 and 38 per game.

sylvester
02-05-2008, 09:23 PM
http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/game/recap/76449/

A link to the game recap. Redford is quite impressive and is showing to be a great addition for next years squad.

Rick James
02-05-2008, 09:29 PM
The kid looks good, but it is not D1 basketball. I hope Brad does really well for Xavier but I will hold all "he will make an impact next year" statements until I see the kid in Blue and White.

Drew's Crew
02-05-2008, 09:53 PM
I think he will be huge for us if nothing other than he can drain a 3 all day long.

It will be great for him to come off the bench and make it rain from the 3 point line. Those types of players can make a huge impact in a small amount of minutes.

Not only that, but it also creates a spark for the team. Like we saw with BJ last year, performances like this can happen in short spurts and can completely propel a team to victory.

I think that this is what I am excited most about Brad for next year.

Rick James
02-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Hey Drew,
BTW, your Ravens got a damn good head coach. I'm a big Eagles fan and Harbaugh is an class guy. Sucks that he left the birds because I would have I liked to see him take over for Jim Johnson but it looks like we'll e able to see how the pupil does against the mentor next year.

Xu Red Dogg
02-05-2008, 10:13 PM
No HS kid right now is playing "division 1" basketball yet.

What he is doing is dominating at the high school level and is likely on a collision course with the state's MR. BASKETBALL AWARD.

I am very glad he will have a XAVIER jersey on next year.

Drew's Crew
02-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Hey Drew,
BTW, your Ravens got a damn good head coach. I'm a big Eagles fan and Harbaugh is an class guy. Sucks that he left the birds because I would have I liked to see him take over for Jim Johnson but it looks like we'll e able to see how the pupil does against the mentor next year.

Good to know. Thanks man. Wanna give us your unappreciated QB too????

OX09
02-06-2008, 12:39 AM
I wonder if Michigan/Ohio St is going to let Pryor play basketball...

But seriously, Redford is unreal.

xufan02
02-06-2008, 08:02 AM
Here is the link:

http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/game/recap/76449/

BBC 08
02-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Here is a good article on Redford and his quest to become Michigan's Mr. Basketball:

Introducing Mr. Redford (http://www.greatlakeshoops.com/)

It's also good to see that 3 of the 5 top seniors in Michigan are going to A10 schools.

Giddyup37
02-06-2008, 10:10 PM
someone send that link to lance mccalister. I want to see it on his blog as opposed to strictly yancy gates and cashmere wright

Lamont Sanford
02-07-2008, 07:33 AM
Giddy -

I sent the link to Lance this morning. We'll have to wait and see if he deems it blog worthy.

Screw SLU!

Giddyup37
02-07-2008, 08:42 AM
excellent Lamont...if he doesn't find that worthy, then he's clueless...If I was in Lance's position and saw a UC recruit doing that, I'd put it up there. Theres no reason for him to always hype up Yancy Gates and Cashmere, and not say a single word about our players...uc fan or not

Lamont Sanford
02-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Giddy -

Here is Lance's response...

"I didn't see a column on one on goxavier.com. Dan wrote the Gates story for gobearcatsmcom. Thanks."

When I sent a follow-up email asking him if the two schools' athletic websites were his only sources of info on X and UC players and recruits, here was his response...

"Yikes you seem angry. Rest assure if there is a column written about frease or others I'll post it. I have them in my google alerts. I do find it curious I have sean on last week and david west and replay burrell from cutman's show and talk with a st louis asst yesterday about x and the only reaction is a complaint from you. I can't seem to win. I apologize.b have a great day. Please email me at lance1530homer@fuse.net. I rarely check this one."

I guess the moral of the story is that Lance is a knob and he would like to run Yancy Gates up Calhoun Street in the wheelbarrel position.

Giddyup37
02-07-2008, 02:24 PM
weird...hes getting all defensive for no reason. Is that all he checks is goxavier.com? i'll email him too. he obviously doesn't check anything for xavier except goxavier.com. with UC he's finds every little article....

Drew's Crew
02-07-2008, 02:39 PM
http://www.greatlakeshoops.com/

Check out this article on Redford. It is very complimentary of him and gives me even more confidence that if he isn't redshirted, he could make an immediate impact.

Giddyup37
02-07-2008, 02:44 PM
and naturally hotmail is down...Lance had something to do with it i'm sure

GoMuskies
02-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Dayton and Xavier stealing Michigan's best players. Very nice. Especially when we get #1 and Dayton #2. As it should be!

boozehound
02-07-2008, 02:52 PM
It would be sweet to have another Mr. Basketball. Good for Brad, and good for XU.

BBC 08
02-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Chris, beat you to the punch by about a day or so. Check out the Recruiting Forum and there is already a thread about it.

Muskie73
02-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Given coach Miller's penchant for strong defense, I'm sure that the need for Brad to step up his defensive intensity has been addressed. Miller likes complete players and must see the potential in this kid to recruit him so aggresively.

danaandvictory
02-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Lance is such a UC jock sniff. His passive agressive crap about XU fans is so tiresome.

Lamont Sanford
02-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Lance has also used musketeermadness as a resource over the years. If he truly has google updates for all the X and UC recruits, he sure is selectively omitting a lot of good press that Redford is getting up in Michigan.

I think he simply has a hard-on for Yancy.

Smails
02-08-2008, 03:11 PM
I would respect him so much more if he just opend up his mic and said "I am a UC fan and I don't particularly like XU" At least he'd show a little sack. Like having Sean Miller on his show is supposed to be a sign that he doesn't hate XU. I would be willing to bet money that if you called him up on his show and asked him to simply name the 4 recruits XU has coming in next year that he couldn't do it without looking it up.

I love his argument that he never talks XU hoops because XU fans do not call in. Does he honestly think that the caller srepresent the largest % of his listeners? I would be willing to bet that less than 3% of people who listen to the show actually call in.

It also bothers me that he is CONSTANTLY giving WVU updates, KSU updates and Ole Miss updates. How in the hell is that relevant to Cincinnati sports? I'm sure he'll come up with some canned answer to that one. Then I would ask him how come you weren't giving Skip Prosser, and Pete Gillen updates when they left?

I think he's good at what he does, but as another poster stated he is definitely passive aggressive when it comes to banging XU hoops and their fan base. Does he think we're not smart enough to see through his coyness?

Giddyup37
02-08-2008, 08:02 PM
ya, your right. he tries to hide it by the fact that "no xavier fan ever calls in." the truth is, of course not. Why would we call in to be degraded and talk down on. It would be like those conservative republicans that go on the bill maher show with the democratic audience and host. its a lions den. btw he never responded to my email. One of us has to call him out on his bias...at least Egger comes out and says hes a UC fan...

xufan02
02-09-2008, 09:50 AM
A little video of Redford:

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=news/sports/high_school&id=5880881#bodyText

Giddyup37
02-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Good job guys, it worked! Redford is up on the Lance McCalister Blog Page!

BBC 08
02-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Not a bad video except for calling us 'egg-savier'.

X Factor
02-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Please don't move this to the recruiting forum right away. Give everyone a few days to watch before it gets lost on the recruiting board.

This is a great video of Redford.

For those who have never seen him, take a look. For those who think Brad is only a spot up shooter, you're sorely mistaken.

AMAZING shooter!

Brad Redford (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxc09r04pJI)

Muskie
02-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Or...maybe people should start using the recruiting forums?

AviatorX
02-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Or...maybe people should start using the recruiting forums?

agreed...at least i know i check most of the forums somewhat regularly.

UCGRAD4X
02-11-2008, 06:47 PM
This guy is INSANE! I noticed also that his three pointers are almost always well beyond the arc. He doesn't just step to the line and shoot, he sends a lazer beam just under the back of the rim. Uncanny.

xufan22
02-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Wow... look at those stats at the beginning of the video. Brad scores 39 a game on 50% shooting. This kid pulls up and knocks it down from anywhere. Very quick release. I can't wait to see Xavier on Brad's chest.

dc_x
02-11-2008, 06:58 PM
And he is never able to spot up - almost every shot is a pull up off the dribble. It's so much harder to pull and shoot off the dribble than to spot up.

Mark 3 Pointer
02-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Ummm... I'm speechless. AMAZING!

PM Thor
02-11-2008, 07:14 PM
He is hitting stuff off of not so great picks too. Yeegawds, just having him on the floor is going to extend the defense out, which will allow Frease to work the inside more freely. Wow.

XU Fan
02-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Jeezuz that kid can shoot. His range seems to be pretty much wherever he happens to be at the time. A lot of those shots were way beyond the NBA 3-point range. He's shooting nearly 50% from beyond the arc, and it appears that he isn't tiptoeing around that stripe either. That is amazing. I look forward to Brad Redford as a Muskie.

Xpectations
02-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Un-freakin-believable!!

That is just stupid range.

XUglow
02-11-2008, 09:15 PM
http://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1383&tid=111079494&mid=111079494&sid=888&style=2

This is a thread about Redford. Just go read it. Sheesh. It is basically... If the kid is any good, why Xavier???

Stonebreaker
02-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Maybe he wants to go to a school where professors have Ph.D's. Just sayin.

xubrew
02-11-2008, 09:21 PM
uk fans are always surprised to learn that any recruit would be interested in a school other than their own (if they even attended the university). you'd think after 100+ times they would have figured out that uk isn't for everyone, but they never seem to. they'll be just surprised after the 1000th time as they were after the first. then again, they're uk fans. it's understandable that they'd be puzzled by simple concepts.

West is Best
02-11-2008, 09:25 PM
It's actually just one guy with the "Why Xavier?" comments. Apparently a UK Football fan, we'll see if that changes next season when Andre Woodson is gone. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one, the whole message board can't be summed up with one dumb poster.

xubrew
02-11-2008, 09:26 PM
It's actually just one guy with the "Why Xavier?" comments. Apparently a UK Football fan, we'll see if that changes next season when Andre Woodson is gone. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one, the whole message board can't be summed up with one dumb poster.

in most cases i'd say you're right, but with uk fans i think that perhaps it can be summed up by just one dumb poster.

ATL Muskie
02-11-2008, 09:28 PM
"a kid like this could be a God at UK and he goes to Xavier."

Douche.

PM Thor
02-11-2008, 09:28 PM
UK fans are pretty convoluted. No actually, for a group of fans I would say they are collectively insane. Why Xavier and not UK or Duke? Well first, neither showed interest in him at all. Second, because Xavier is a good fit for Redmond. And UK has lost out recruits to Xavier before anyway.

It's not like X hasn't lost out before on a big prospect. It comes down to whether or not a kid feels comfortable with a program and a school. An example where X lost out to a high recruit would be Matt Howard last year, he picked Butler. Why? Better fit for him, and now he is excelling averaging something like 13 points a game.

In todays basketball landscape, players don't have to go to Big Six conferences to make their mark.

beatuc
02-11-2008, 09:37 PM
From what I read most of the UK fans were giving him props. I hope Xavier did get the steal of the class. How do people happen to run across this stuff as Xavier fans on a UK board? I thought I had a lot of time on my hands.

Snipe
02-11-2008, 09:38 PM
I think those UK fans were very Pro-Brad. They were all Pro-Brad.

When I just read it, they only had seven posts on the thread. Everyone of them was Pro-Brad.

Even the Xavier? thread was pro because why is a kid that can shoot the lights out going to us instead of the bigs.

Read that thread again. One of them even went to see him play. Don't disrespect the UK Fan without giving them an honest look.

I feel better about Brad after reading that thread.

dc_x
02-11-2008, 09:42 PM
I think those UK fans were very Pro-Brad. They were all Pro-Brad.

When I just read it, they only had seven posts on the thread. Everyone of them was Pro-Brad.

Even the Xavier? thread was pro because why is a kid that can shoot the lights out going to us instead of the bigs.

Read that thread again. One of them even went to see him play. Don't disrespect the UK Fan without giving them an honest look.

I feel better about Brad after reading that thread.

The are definitely pro-Brad....but at least 2 of them are anti-Xavier.

I like the guy that says "HS, why isn't this kid being offered by KY, Duke, UNC etc.," as if UK is still at the same level as Duke and Carolina.

Snipe
02-11-2008, 09:56 PM
The are definitely pro-Brad....but at least 2 of them are anti-Xavier.

I like the guy that says "HS, why isn't this kid being offered by KY, Duke, UNC etc.," as if UK is still at the same level as Duke and Carolina.

If they are surprised that a kid that good would come to us instead of KY, Duke, or UNC, I am not sure that is anti-Xavier. It is pro-Brad though.

Full Quote:

"HS, why isn't this kid being offered by KY, Duke, UNC etc., he looks like a prolific scorer. "

That was positive.

As far as UK not being on the same level as Duke or Carolina I disagree. UK Basketball has 1 championship in the last 10 years (2 in the last 12), and Duke and UNC have 1 championship in the last 10 years. In the last 30 years they all have three.

I wouldn't write off Kentucky just yet. Please. Kentucky is basketball royalty.

Snipe
02-11-2008, 10:09 PM
UCLA - 11 Championships - Last won 1995
Kentucky - 7 Championships - Last won 1998
Indiana - 5 Championships - Last won 1987
North Carolina - 4 Championships - Last won 2005
Duke - 3 Championships - Last won 2001

That is a complete list of every program that has won more than two National Championships.

Kentucky hasn't been in the Final Four lately, and that is why they fired Tubby Smith, who won a National Championship. The luster isn't completely off the program. They fired Tubby Smith because even though he won a National Championship his performance in their estimation was unacceptable.

That is saying something.

xubrew
02-11-2008, 10:10 PM
i still reserve my right to be anti-uk.

BBC 08
02-11-2008, 10:20 PM
uk is for louisville high school students who are too scared to leave the state and go to a real school. uk should be named Louisville HS part 2.

GoMuskies
02-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Kentucky is basketball royalty.

Yeah,. but they're still very, very easy to hate.

Snipe
02-11-2008, 11:21 PM
Spoken like a born and bred Cardinal fan.

Have some respect when you step up in class.

GoMuskies
02-11-2008, 11:31 PM
UP in class?!? To Kentucky?!? You may have a career in standup yet.

Xavier vs. UC
Louisville vs. Kentucky
UNC vs. Duke
St. X vs. Trinity

As you can see Snipe, when I am involved in a rivalry, I am always on the side of good (at least relatively speaking in the case of UNC) in the face of pure evil.

Billy
02-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Snipe will be leading the crowd in "My Old Kentucky Home" before the next game at Rupp.

BBC 08
02-11-2008, 11:55 PM
GoMuskie is a great American with that list. The best rivalry on that list is easily St. X vs Trinty. What other HS football game averages 35,000 fans and splits a town in half for a week?

Pajama Joe
02-12-2008, 12:55 AM
I think we should just talk about that video. How sick were some of those plays.

American X
02-12-2008, 12:57 AM
It's like watching myself.

Lasser83
02-12-2008, 02:28 AM
I think there is a lot to admire about Kentucky.

typically, college basketball teams don't have many fans outside the student and alumni base (there are exceptions, but on a smaller level than college basketball).

That's defenitily not true with Kentucky. the entire state gets behind the team. And don't they have a radio station broadcast games in New York City. That's kind of cool.

gladdenguy
02-12-2008, 04:52 AM
Nontheless, high school basketball and football in Kentucky are pathetic compared to Ohio. I do love that.

BlueGuy
02-12-2008, 06:41 AM
That song is horrible. Redford deserves a much better beat. He's unconscious from behind the arc!

XUOWNSUC
02-12-2008, 07:00 AM
It's just my guess, but perhaps Redford wants to play for a ranked team that can win 20 games a year and be a lock for the tournament at this point in the season.

Or maybe he doesn't want to go to Kentucky because if he did, he would have to play for a drunk bisexual coach. (I have heard this from two unrelated and different UK fans.)

xuwin
02-12-2008, 08:43 AM
It'll be interesting to see if you have a defender with the size and quickness of Stanley Burrell on him the whole game if he can get those shots off. Stan would pick him up at about 30 ft and make it very difficult for him. He will have to work for open shots in the flow of the offense like BJ does and hope Lyons can get the ball to him. There is no question that he is a great shooter and has a quick release, but, is he quick enough to create space for his shot against bigger, quicker guards.

DC Muskie
02-12-2008, 11:05 AM
I often wonder how the new three point distance is going to effect our guys. doesn't look like Redford will have that problem.

Look, I doubt Redford will have to create his shot. I imagine our offense will be surrounded by getting it down low to Frease and Love. If we have guys who are able to move the ball around, Redford isn't going to have a problem getting his shot off.

Pick him up at 30 ft, and then run him off multiple screens. I imagine Brad won't have that much trouble.

XUOHTX
02-12-2008, 01:22 PM
yeah but has he played against anyone over 6' 2"? such a low shot.

BBC 08
02-12-2008, 01:23 PM
That is not a low shot. A low shot was what Johnny Wolf had (sorry if that was to personal for some people).

Mark 3 Pointer
02-13-2008, 07:36 AM
It's almost comical... It's like Christmas every time this kid plays I get excited to check the computer the next morning for his numbers. Last night was no exception.

53 points -- the other team played a box and one the entire game!

8 assists

12 three pointers

tied the state record for 3's in a season at 116!!!

Broke the school record in scoring which he owned at 52 along with another guy.

Umm... Amazing!

powerofX
02-13-2008, 07:54 AM
The best part about the stat line is 8 assists. He scores (and scores well) because his team needs him to score, but it looks like he could play team ball in the Miller system as well.

X Factor
02-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Yeah, this kid is unreal!

He is on an absolute tear. It's not like he's spotting up around the three point line either. He's draining 25 footers, off balance runners, 18 foot fadaways, etc.

I hope he's around this summer to play in Deveroes league.

Lamont Sanford
02-13-2008, 10:06 AM
If you tell all this to a UD fan, they'll just say Redford is playing in a weak league, in a weak Division, against grade-school girls, whatever. Had he signed with UD, he would instantly be compared to Jim Paxson.

Keep pouring them in Brad!

xuwin
02-13-2008, 11:00 AM
If you tell all this to a UD fan, they'll just say Redford is playing in a weak league, in a weak Division, against grade-school girls, whatever. Had he signed with UD, he would instantly be compared to Jim Paxson.

Anybody can make 102 free throws in a row against a weak schedule like that. :)

GoMuskies
02-13-2008, 11:21 AM

UD's boy Swampy Meadows compared Redford to Jay Burson...and meant it as an insult! Take whatever Swampy has to say from here on out with the appropriate grain of salt.

cinskyline
02-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Anybody can make 102 free throws in a row against a weak schedule like that. :)

How far away is he from the free throw record now?

GoMuskies
02-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Streak is over. He missed 2 in a game last week.

cinskyline
02-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Streak is over. He missed 2 in a game last week.

He's slipping. ;)

I didn't know that the streak was broken. Thanks.

Mark 3 Pointer
02-13-2008, 05:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agsoaPS-YW4

PM Thor
02-14-2008, 12:32 AM
He seems to love that spot 4 feet out 2/3rds around the 3 point line. Impressive. Most impressive.

Yeah, the Darth Vader quote. I just did that.

Muskie
02-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Wow.. I haven't seen a shooting display like that in a long...ever?

garvondavis14
02-14-2008, 06:57 PM
that kid has RANGE

a year or two into his career at X he should be a stud

Pajama Joe
02-16-2008, 11:43 PM
Not only did he score 53 in the latest game, but is over 50 in 3 of his last four. I read an article that said his three prior games were 52, 50 and 38.

muskee2000
02-22-2008, 02:18 AM
An article about his last game and his career.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080222/SPORTS09/802220392/1048/sports

KFX
02-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Mr. Basketball finalist and Xavier commit Brad Redford shoots for glory
BY MICK McCABE • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • February 22, 2008

Read Comments(2)Recommend (1)Print this page E-mail this article
Share this article: Del.icio.us Facebook Digg Reddit Newsvine What’s this?
FRANKENMUTH -- Only 34 seconds remained on the clock when Brad Redford walked off the Frankenmuth court for the final time in his high school career.

The Frankenmuth fans were on their feet and the Birch Run fans also rose to pay tribute to the youngster who had battled and battered their team for four years.

The Birch Run players on the court all embraced Redford, and their coach, Perry McCord, also shook hands and put his arm around Redford as he walked by.

Frankenmuth coach Tim Crawford hugged his star, who buried his head in Crawford's shoulder as the fans cheered.

It was a fitting tribute to a youngster who has become more popular in this town than chicken dinners.

The cheering may have meant more on this night because it came after Frankenmuth's first loss of the season, and Redford's 21-point effort was his worst game of the season.

Worst game?

It has been a magical season for Redford and his Frankenmuth teammates. Until Birch Run finally got them, the Class B Eagles had soared to 18 straight victories and the three reasons for their success have been Redford, Redford and, oh yeah, Redford.

"He's carried us," Crawford said. "We don't have any size. Brad's 6 feet and he's our biggest guy. We've beaten Flint Southwestern, Bridgeport, Buena Vista, Leslie, so we've beaten some decent teams and it's because of him."

It really is because of Redford, who is about as imposing a figure as an altar boy.

But once he steps on the basketball court, look out.

Heading into Thursday's regular-season finale against Millington, Redford, who signed with Xavier, was averaging an awe-inspiring 38.9 points and had committed just 43 turnovers. He owns the state record of 118 three-pointers in a season as well as a state record of 102 consecutive free throws in a season -- second most consecutive free throws ever nationally.

He has become something of a rock star in this community and beyond. He plays before standing-room-only crowds every game and now there is another aspect to his fame.

His older brother, Dan, a sophomore at Michigan State, recently posted his highlights film on YouTube (it has more than 23,000 hits).

"I figured the coaches on the west side of the state haven't had a chance to see him play," Dan said. "So this would be good exposure for him."

The video shows Redford scoring on a variety of shots, but most of them are three-pointers. Some of the triples are so far beyond the three-point line that most players would be benched if they ever attempted a shot from that far away.

But the shots go in. He is making a remarkable 46% of his three-point attempts.

To be honest, no one saw this coming. Sure, Redford started on the varsity team as a freshman and a year ago averaged 25.1 points and earned Class B all-state honors, but never in his wildest dreams did he anticipate something like this.

"I expected to score a lot," he said. "After averaging 25 last year, I was expecting to be in the 30s, maybe. But being this close to 40 at this time of year was definitely unexpected."

Everything has been unexpected. Kris and Mike, his parents, did not have this in mind when they bought the second of their three sons a Little Tikes basketball stand.

"Since I was little, I just loved it," Redford said. "I never got pushed by my parents in anything, but it was what I chose to do. They bought me a little basketball hoop when I was 2 or 3, and I'd never leave it alone. Since then, it's been every day."

And he does mean every day.

No one knows which player in the state works the hardest, but it would be difficult to outwork Redford. His father claims he shoots between 300 and 500 shots a day, but Redford winces at that number.

"I'd say 300 to 500 at least, if not more," Redford said. "Most of it is outside of practice. I get about two hours after practice, and during the day, if I have a PE class, I can get shots up for a while during that class. In the off-season, I'll go in before school starts and shoot."

Crawford first saw Redford play when he was in the eighth grade. He accompanied Dan to an open gym and felt right at home playing against players four years older.

"He came down one time and went up and hit a shot from the elbow," Crawford said. "He was so smooth, so confident. I knew for sure this kid could play right away, and he's been a fit ever since."

That wasn't the first time Redford played against older kids. His entire life he has been one of the youngest players on the court.

The Redfords were living in Lake Orion at the time when Kris called Basketball America, a local basketball haven, and asked how young a league player could be.

"They said they had a league for third- and fourth-graders," she said. "I told them Brad was in the kindergarten. I asked if we could at least try."

He tried and was a sensation, making shots fourth-graders couldn't hit.

"I just always could," he said. "Some people couldn't believe some of the shots I could make because I had to heave it up there. But I found a way to make some shots."

Throughout his career, Redford has been like a sponge when anyone offered him help, be it in high school ball or in AAU with the Mustangs.

"He's always been lucky; everyone he's run into in coaching has known what they're doing and has helped get him to a new level," his father said. "He met Rick Carter when he was a sophomore and he said: 'I want to shoot like a college player right now.' "

Carter coached with the Mustangs and at Michigan State before becoming an assistant at Fairfield University. He helped refine one specific aspect of Redford's shot.

"The only thing we really worked on was he used to drop the ball," Carter said. "We worked on keeping it up higher. The timing of his shot, he did. Brad spends a ton of time in the gym. He understands his shot more than anyone else. He always had really good form, and he shoots so deep, it's almost hilarious.

"This is really a credit to how hard he works."

One of the amazing aspects of Redford's scoring is that every opponent gears its defense to stop him. Teams often use a triangle-and-two defense with two players assigned to him. Yet, his lowest output has been 21 points, a career-high for most players in the state.

"It's incredible how well he's playing," Crawford said. "We run so many screens; we find ways to get him open. If you leave him open, you're not going to stop him. All he needs is a second of space to get a shot off."

Redford made a dramatic debut this season, scoring 47 points in the opener against Flint Southwestern Academy. It set the tone for his fantastic senior year.

"I started hitting shots," he said. "It was kind of constant through the whole game. I kind of stayed in the zone the whole four quarters."

He has stayed in that zone for 76 quarters now and, along the way, managed to be nearly perfect at the free-throw line.

People began keeping track as his consecutive free throw streak grew longer and longer. It's seems funny, but Redford doesn't appear disappointed it ended.

"I'm cool with it," he said. "I think everyone else made a bigger deal of it than I thought about it. I'm proud I was able to get to 102 and it's a cool thing to have, but after it happened, I'm glad it's over."

Frankenmuth begins the state tournament Monday against Bridgeport, a team it beat in two close games this season. Although the Eagles have only one loss, they are not guaranteed a long state tournament run.

This team is not a collection of All-Stars. This is a team of local kids who grew up playing on playgrounds together.

"We've got a great group of guys," Redford said. "We've been together since we were little. We've been friends and we all live within two miles of each other. We all get along great. No one's got an ego on this team. You put that stuff aside. I care a lot about my teammates, my coach, my family and this community."

The scoring average, the free throws, the three-point baskets all seem so surreal to Redford. He has a hard time grasping all that he and his teammates have accomplished thus far.

"I don't know," Redford said, shaking his head. "If someone would have told me before the season started that we'd have been 18-0 with me as the tallest starter, it would have been a long shot."

A long shot?

Many, many long shots to be exact.

BBC 08
02-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Wow, great article. I can't wait till he is on campus this summer.

JAPER
02-22-2008, 01:24 PM
I wonder if Mo McAfee had any input on getting Redford. Mo was from nearby Saginaw.

Redford seems like a winner. Good luck in state.

GPMuskie
02-22-2008, 05:56 PM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080222/SPORTS09/802220392/1048/sports

Great article on Brad Redford in the Detroit Free Press

GPMuskie
02-22-2008, 06:16 PM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080222/SPORTS09/802220392/1048/sports

Found this article in Free Press. Nice write up.

Muskie
02-24-2008, 09:16 AM
I'm interested to see what the staff does with Redford. I've seen some opinions that he might be red-shirted. I'll say it again, but if his shooting translates over to the college game, you have to find a way to get him on the floor.

Stonebreaker
02-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Sounds like he could be a pretty good player in vollege. LOL

Muskie
02-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Sounds like he could be a pretty good player in vollege. LOL

oops...fixed.

Stonebreaker
02-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Seriously though, I'd like to see what this guy does at X, always nice to have a guy who can shoot and make FT's.

Mark 3 Pointer
02-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Nothing really... but last night Brad did pass him on the michigan high school all time scoring list (28th overall). Brad now has 2012 piont and is averaging just under 25 ppg for his career. FYI Brad scored 32 last night in the second round of the playoffs... his team won comfortably.

Giddyup37
02-28-2008, 11:41 AM
i just read that today...pretty crazy stuff...

Lamont Sanford
02-29-2008, 08:14 AM
Very impressive HS career! Hope to see it translates into a phenomenal four years at X!

Keep up the great work Brad!

dc_x
03-02-2008, 08:52 AM
His team won by 31. (http://www.ourmidland.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19349115&BRD=2289&PAG=461&dept_id=472541&rfi=6)

dc_x
03-02-2008, 08:53 AM
And here is another article about the Michigan Mr. Basketball award.

link (http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/03/mr_basketball_competing_for_th.html)

Mark 3 Pointer
03-04-2008, 07:09 AM
Brad had 39 point in an over time victory... his team will now play Alma in the regional final on Wednesday. Congrats Brad and Frankenmuth!

http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/game/recap/94993/

XU Dozer
03-27-2008, 02:10 PM
A few clips of Redford for those who haven't seen any yet....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxc09r04pJI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agsoaPS-YW4&NR=1

dc_x
04-11-2008, 11:48 AM
in addition to Michigan Mr. Basketball

link (http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080411/SPORTS05/804110381)

xu95
04-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Somewhere in Dayton Swampy Meadows is sticking a pen in his eye.

xu95

Xman95
04-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Redford may look like Howdy Doody, but after he starts dropping 30-ft. bombs on the A-10, the only thing people will be saying is, "Howdy Doodat?"

DC Muskie
04-11-2008, 12:56 PM
We should redshirt him then, because he needs to work on his defense.

PM Thor
04-12-2008, 07:25 AM
Somewhere in Dayton Swampy Meadows is sticking a pen in his eye.

xu95

Actually Swampy would just have pen marks on his forehead because he would miss the mark yet again.

boozehound
05-11-2008, 09:38 AM
One of the things I liked about that video was the fact that he consistantly shot from several feet beyond the 3 point line. He should adjust to the NCAA 3 point line very well.

waggy
08-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Frankenmuth's Brad Redford was presented his Mr. Basketball trophy by the Basketball Coaches Association of Michigan, and then he went out and reminded them of why he won it in the first place.

http://www.mlive.com/sports/saginawnews/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/121774083073550.xml&coll=9

sash19
09-07-2008, 07:42 AM
When I click on that article link, it says it isnt found. Can you post the article on the site so that we can read it? Thanks.

B-RAD FAN!
09-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Did you see the video of Brad Redford on Youtube? B-Rad is fun to watch!

Michigan Muskie
01-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Exactly one year has passed since I posted this review about Redford. Not that anything was uber-revealing about my original assessment, but I would say he's at least lived up to his billing if not exceeded most of our expectations.

One thing I did not write in the review but I believe to be unique is the reaction when he steps on the floor....when he gets the ball.....when he releases his shot. Even if it doesn't go through, fans everywhere are standing with their arms in the air in anticipation. There is a distinct sound from the crowd that accompanies this emotion. My son and I are on the edge of the couch watching on TV the same way many of you are on the edge of your seats at The Cintas Center.

I don't know if any other player on the team generates that kind of instant hope than Redford - not even Brown. Sure, DB can electrify the stands with a thundering alley-oop finish, a drive to the hoop, or any number of unbelievably athletic moves, but the crowd reacts after the play whereas with Redford, the crowd buzzes the minute the ball touches his hands.

Overall, I'm impressed by his continuous maturation and development. I think the ceiling for this kid is way higher than what we've seen so far.

kyxu
01-19-2009, 01:05 PM
I don't know if any other player on the team generates that kind of instant hope than Redford - not even Brown. Sure, DB can electrify the stands with a thundering alley-oop finish, a drive to the hoop, or any number of unbelievably athletic moves, but the crowd reacts after the play whereas with Redford, the crowd buzzes the minute the ball touches his hands.

Redford just creates that sick inevitability of "oh, crap it's going in" for the opposition and "boo-ya" for Xavier fans. I love it. He draws defenses out and opens the inside for our big guys.

XU 87
01-19-2009, 01:14 PM
I for one am primarily concerned about a potential recruit's size, speed and quickness. But sometimes I forget that the object of the game is to shoot the ball into the basket. And Redford can do that about as well as anyone I've ever watched at Xavier.

BlueGuy
01-19-2009, 01:26 PM
I love how when ever he touches the ball (no matter where it is on the court), you can hear people throughout the Cintas Center yelling "SHOOT IT!!!!".

XU 87
01-19-2009, 01:36 PM
I realize that he's only played half a season. But Redford has the deepest range of anyone that I can remember at X. And he has the quickest release of anyone I can remember. So far, he's the best long range shooter I've ever seen at X.

DC Muskie
01-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Seriously, I love it when he is in the game and launches. It is pretty exciting to watch. I can't think of anyone who did one thing well like this that the crowd gets pumped for.

Good thing we red shirted him.

Snipe
01-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Brad Redford is the man. Everyone gets excited when he shoots the ball. Man does he have range.

Take about instant fan favorite. That kid is deep water.

I remember the clip of Brown talking about him in the preseason. I wish I had the actual quote. Best shooter that he has ever seen.

The Artist
01-19-2009, 03:10 PM
Brad Redford is my favorite player. I thought I would struggle to find someone that I liked as much as D Lav, but Brad is more than sufficient.

Xpectations
01-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Here are some comments I made in another post last summer after seeing Brad in the Deveroes League ...
------------------------------------------
Regarding Redford, he is a FREAK. I mean that in the best sense of the word. He is a freak when it comes to shooting. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone who is a better shooter. Now you might look at his 98% free throw percentage (no, that's not a typo) and 92 consecutive made free throws in high school and think, "okay, he can shoot when he's set and he's open."

That boy can shoot whether he's set, falling down, moving left, moving right, stepping back, whatever. His shooting percentage definitely takes a dive when he truly forces shots, but shooting while on the move isn't in his list of "forced shots." The only shots he forces are when he has to change his mechanics due to the defender, but his mechanics are picture perfect even when shooting on the move.

I told Xeus and Nuts that it will be very interesting to see how his game translates to D1. I am 6-foot tall, and he wasn't any taller than me. He's definitely not a freak athletically speaking. Don't get me wrong -- he's a good athlete -- but he doesn't have that freakish athletic ability that you often associate with smaller D1 players who are still big contributors (NOTE: Mark Lyons is a FREAK though). But Redford is such a shooting freak, that it makes you curious.

It will be interesting to see how he's used. He could really give opposing coaches fits because of his ability to shoot. He is not only more accurate than anyone I've seen; he has absurd range too. I can only imagine what he could do in an organized offense.

For example, imagine a high pick & roll scenario with Brown (who I understand is shooting better) or Frease (who also has good range). If Brad's man goes under the pick, he'll hit 3s all day long. He can pull up on a dime and has a very quick release.

If his man goes over the pick, and the opposing big hedges weakly, then it comes down to whether has enough quickness to turn the corner and drive, and make good decisions. We'll have tons of offensive options, and our players are very versatile in terms of where and how they can score, so he'll have plenty of choices.

If the opposing big hedges strongly, then he'll simply need to reverse the ball to our pick-setter, who will either be wide open for a shot, or if another defender closes quickly, he can rotate the ball and the defense is already in massive breakdown-and-recover mode.

I'm not certain Brad is ready to play a lot at the 1 yet though, and that could make things interesting. The biggest question to me is how well he'll be able to defend. I haven't seen enough to be confident in answering that, but my concern without knowing is whether he's quick enough to defend the opposing 1 and big enough to defend the opposing 2.

As to the notion he'll either be a total flame-out or 2,000-point scorer, I'm definitely not in that camp. So much will depend on the competition at the 1 and 2 over the next few years. I could easily see him being a solid contributor and a player who has a defined and valuable role on the team, but who isn't scoring 20+ points per game.

----------

In other posts on other preseason and early season threads, I mentioned that I saw him playing a very BJ Raymond-like role for the team. Coach Miller's comments on Shannon's blog entry today discuss that as well.

Michigan Muskie
01-22-2010, 09:59 AM
I meant to update this on the 19th but I was dodging tornadoes in "sunny" Southern California all week.

Since there is already a Redford thread running, there's not much more to say in this two-year anniversary of when my son and I watched him play in high school.

I think he has lived up to his expectations and if anything is limited only by the minutes he sees on the floor and the open looks created for him.

I will say one thing has remained true from the first time I saw him touch a basketball two years ago: Nothing raises the hair on my arms more than watching and listening to the anticipation of the crowd as soon as the ball is in his hands. I've never seen someone create so much excitement BEFORE he makes his move.

I will also say that he's a good enough shooter to score 40 points a game if an offense was designed for him to be the primary scorer. I'm not suggesting that is what Xavier should do - but I am saying he is capable of setting an NCAA record of 3-point field goals scored in one game. He just doesn't get enough shot opportunities to do it. I would love to see X take one game - maybe Fordham - and make everything revolve around Brad. Give him a chance to score 40. 50. 60. Just to see how many he can make. Set double and triple screens. I'm just curious to see how many shots he could make.

In the end, I'm just as thrilled today as I was two years ago to know he wears the Xavier colors.

wkrq59
01-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Today, two years later, anytime Redford enters a game he draws pressing, often hacking defenses in which he is bumped, shoved, held and otherwise fouled. If not, he makes 'em pay.
Most of the observations on this thread are one or two years old. I'm very satisfied with Redford to date.