PDA

View Full Version : Xavier 20 Miami 7 in today's football game at Withrow

nickgyp
10-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Both of the games last year against Miami's club team were well-played exciting wins for the Muskies. There is every reason to believe Saturday's game will be more of the same. Come out and cheer for the Muskies. Solid entertainment at a great price ($4 or $5 per adult ticket).

Need directions to Withrow? Let me know!

nickgyp
10-16-2008, 06:26 PM
Withrow High School

From Xavier University:
From Victory Parkway turn LEFT on Dana Avenue and go towards I-71. Stay on Dana Avenue and cross-over I-71. Almost immediately you will see signs for Withrow HS on your left side. You will also see a playground on your left. Immediately after the playground turn LEFT into the Withrow HS Back Parking Lot driveway. You will be able to see the stadium lights from Dana Avenue.
If you get to Madison Road (while on Dana Avenue), you have gone too far.

nickgyp
10-18-2008, 04:27 PM
1st Q.:

Miami kickoff, X starts from X 31 yd lie
Greenwood connects with Danny Deters for 69 yd TD pass on 1st and 10.
PAT kiick by Hallman blocked
Miami takes kick statrting on Miami 27 yd liineMiami makes 1st down then completes 25 yd. pass to X's 30.
Miami completes 8 yd. pass to X's 20
Procedure penalty puts Miami 1st and 15 on 25 yd. line
Miami passes 3 times all incomplete
4th and 15 and Miami passes to X's 4yd line (nice catch on wobbly pass form Miami QB)
X forces a 3rd and goall but Miami puts in for TD; PAT makes it 7-6 Miami w/ 4:32 left in qtr.
X takes kick to X's 42 yd line
Pass to Craig Hallman goes to Miami's 42
Pass to Deters takes it to the 30
X goes 4 and out gainng only 10yd. on 4th and 11
Miami ball on own 21 yd line
Miami 9 yd. pass stopped by Andrew Dornbrook

2nd Qtr:

Miami converts on 4th and inches on QB keeper
Brandon Tucker intercepts pass for X; X's ball on X 39 yd line
X goes 4 and out and punts
Block below waist by X on return gives Miami on Miiami's 45
Miami facing 3rd and 14 passes and Brandon Tucker gets 2nd interception on X's 30
X goes 4 and out and punts to Miami 20
Miami goes 4 and out and Anton Danielsl returns it to X's 32
Three straight carries by C. J. Moreland go for 19 yds,. 5 yds. and 14 yds to Miami's 5 yd. line
Grenwood keeper makes it 12-7
X kick fails
Miami takes kickoff at to own 40
Miami pass incomplete but X is flagged for helmet to helmet penalty, 1st and 10 inside 50
X LB Phil Migitz intercepts Miami pass, X's ball on own 45
X goes to 4th and 11 and punts
Miami 1st and 10 on own 20 and coverts for couple 1st downs as time runs out, X up 12-7

Halftime:

X kicks off with Miami setting up on own 30
Pass on 3rd and 7 gets Miami to own 42
Miami faces 3rd and 6 on own 48 and QB roll out goes to 46 yd. line
Miami run on 2nd and 5 goes for 20 yds but hit by Dave Pergollini forces fumble recovered by Brett Hoyer
X's ball on own 26 yd. line
X goes 4 and out.
Running into punter forces X to rekick (no automatic 1st down)
Miami fumbles punt but recovers own fumble
Miami facing a 1st and 15 from own 26 connects on pass in backfield but another Pergollini tackle forces fumble
X has ball 1st and 10 on Miami's 19
QB Chris Greenwood keepr goes for 6yds
C'J. Morland 's 7 yd. run gives X 1st and goal on Miami's 9
Run goes to 5 yd line but 2yd loss on run forces X to face 3rd and goal from Miami's 7
Greenwood scrambles to his right and passes to a leaping Craig Hallman to give X 18-7 lead
X goes for two and Moreland punches it uo the middle for 20-7 score with 3:07 left in 3rd Q.
X kick of returned to Miami 37
Runs and passes get Miami to X's 44 yd line
Run gives Miami 2nd and 9 on X's 43
Taclke by Frosh DL T.K. Washington gives Miami 3rd and 5
Tackle by Dave Pergolini forces 4th and 5 but Miami fails to convert
3rd QTR ends X up 20-7

4th Qtr:

X takes over on own 39 and runs by Moreland and Greenwood give X a 1st down on 50 yd. line
Miami holds and X punts nice and high by Craig Hallman
Miami takes over 0n own 24 yd line
X defenders Brett Hoyer and Greg Morgan make tackles that force Miami into 3rd and 11
Roughing passr gives Miami 1st and 10 on own 39
Next Miami series defensive play by Hoyer, Phil Migitz and T.K. Washington force Miami to face 4th and 11 from own 38
Pooch punt gives X ballon X 35
On 2nd and 11, pass interference call against Miami gives X ball at midfield
Holding call on X gives Muskies 1st and 20
Pass by Greenwood intercepted by Miami DB who returns it to X's 25 yd line
Face mask penalty on X on interception gives Miami 1st and 10 on X's 13
Successive runs up the middle are stopped by Mifitz and Norgan for no gain
Pass to end zone incomplete on 4th and 10
X runs out the clock for win, 20-7

Congratulations to coach Powers, staff and players on this win which counts in the league standings.

Thanks to the 400 or so fans who attended the game at Withrow. Great weather and great facility!!

msj61
10-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Hey Nick...What are the eligibility rules for club football?

nickgyp
10-21-2008, 05:22 PM
MSJ:

My understanding is that a player has to be taking at least one course at Xavier to be eligible. For instance, QB Chris Greenwood is taking one graduate school class; and DL Brendan Banker is taking two MBA classes (one of which caused him to miss the 1st half the Tri-State in September. Most of the players are full-time undergrads.

(Conceivably, Blutarsky had he decided to attend Xavier would have been able to play all seven of the years that went down the drain in "Animal House".)

So after you graduate from MSJ, take a class at Xavier and be a Muskie gridder!

msj61
10-23-2008, 01:42 PM
MSJ:

My understanding is that a player has to be taking at least one course at Xavier to be eligible. For instance, QB Chris Greenwood is taking one graduate school class; and DL Brendan Banker is taking two MBA classes (one of which caused him to miss the 1st half the Tri-State in September. Most of the players are full-time undergrads.

(Conceivably, Blutarsky had he decided to attend Xavier would have been able to play all seven of the years that went down the drain in "Animal House".)

So after you graduate from MSJ, take a class at Xavier and be a Muskie gridder!

Thanks Nick. I graduated a few years back, but was thinking of taking some grad courses at Xavier. I have no NCAA eligibility left, but sounds like that isn't an issue...? Would love to play again!

nickgyp
10-23-2008, 07:58 PM
MSJ:

I attended Xavier 's last practice tonight before the team boards a bus on Friday to play at So. Illinois at Edwardsville on Saturday. Coach Powers is always looking to add players to the team. NCAA eligibility is not a problem as far as I know since it is a club team. Quarterback Chris Greenwood played four years at Hanover; and last year, standout DL Dan Piening played at the age of 29 while taking one grad school class and having played at Dartmouth College as a linebacker.

If you'd like to contact coach Powers, let me know.