PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Cocktail

Michigan Muskie
01-15-2008, 06:18 PM
We had the favorite beer thread over on the MM OT board and I've unintentionally hijacked the "away-game viewing" thread and turned it into a Pabst Blue Ribbon history course.

So let's hear what your other drink of choice is. Liquor only - not wine, beer, wassail, or rubbing alcohol.

For some people this will be difficult - they don't have a "go to" drink. For me, it's the simplest question to answer: Rusty Nail. One part Drambuie, three parts scotch (preferably Dewar's white label.)

I love them. I drink one (or three) every night which could possibly be a problem.

Chris Knight
01-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Bourbon and ginger with lime. I've made the mistake of ordering it as a whiskey and ginger, which can lead to problems if the bartender uses scotch instead of bourbon. Not so good then.

Muskie
01-15-2008, 06:33 PM
ginger as in ginger ale or just plain ginger?

Chris Knight
01-15-2008, 06:36 PM
ginger ale

Stonebreaker
01-15-2008, 06:43 PM
1) Capt Morgan (prefer Private Stock version) and Coke
2) Beefeater and Tonic
3) Butterscotch Schnapps...not a cocktail, but a coupla shots of those before a game will serve you well.

bourbonman
01-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Very simple for me. Bourbon on the rocks. Best if it's Old Forester Signature but the standard 86 proof expression is fine if the Signature is not available.

XUglow
01-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Miss Muskie's 4th. Yowza!

Michigan Muskie
01-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Miss Muskie's 4th. Yowza!

Snap! Just beware the Bombay Sapphire. That's experience talking.

blobfan
01-15-2008, 08:48 PM
1 - A Bloody Mary is always good. And it counts as a vegetable so you can drink more of it.
2 - Kahlua soda & cream aka Smith and Kearns
3 - something my Dad called an "after 5" (Bailey's, Kahlua & Peppermint Schnapps)
4 - for serious drinking nothing beats a good Tequila. Smoothest hangover ever.

Muskie73
01-15-2008, 11:56 PM
Gained a taste for Dewar's on the rocks with a lemon twist. I have enjoyed 18 year old McCallans scotch before and highly recommend it for absolute smoothness.

During my days at Xavier, it was anything with an alcohol level over 50%, or so I've been told by those I used to drink with. I'm glad that they can remember those days!:eek:

PM Thor
01-16-2008, 08:12 AM
I have to second the Captain Morgan Private Stock Rum. I usually mix it with Sprite or Coke, matters on how I feel that moment.

My favorite drink when sitting on a beach though is called a "Whoop Ass". When I bartended, I made it up with a waitress on a slow night at my old bar. When we woke up the next day it had truly whooped our asses.

OJ. (the juice, not the exfootball guy who probably got away with moider)
99 Proof Banana schnapps.
Pineapple juice.
vodka, flavored or not, usually we would use Vanilla Stoli, sometimes Belvedere.
Splash of Sprite.
Shake and serve.

XU Dozer
01-16-2008, 10:10 AM
I've always been a fan of the Irish Car Bomb. Though you have to find the right bar to get one at because they can be a little on the expensive side.

American X
01-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Perfect J&B Scotch Rob Roy with a cherry and twist. Get 2 or 3 cherries because your ladyfriend always wants them.

I prefer my bourbon unadulterated, but an occasional Manhattan.

Jameson or Knob in a glass will always do. Sometimes, like during the Ohio State game, I do not even need the glass.

xudash
01-17-2008, 07:11 PM
After years of Stoli out of the freezer, I went back to Scotch (Dewars mainly) a few years ago.

It took me years to get back to Scotch because of one night when my roomate's girlfriend (wife a fews years thereafter) was somehow allowed to play bartender while we were getting the apartment ready for a holiday party.

That particular bottle of Dewars ended up being the angel on the Christmas tree that night - before the party officially started. It was a beautiful evening. I somehow managed to see three Christmas trees floating in rotation where there was only one. The angel looked like an empty bottle of scotch. And I saw God and the Choir Invisible within minutes of my head hitting the pillow.

A hangover I will never forget.

KC4X
01-17-2008, 09:08 PM
My personal favorite is a Manhatten, but, I love the occasional Brandy/Cognac.

Stonebreaker
01-17-2008, 10:17 PM
My favorite cocktail is the one in front of me.

Kahns Krazy
02-19-2008, 11:57 AM
I missed this thread the first time around.

From the liquor cabinet, I have always been a gin guy. I think I inherited this from my dad. He's never been a brown liquor guy, so I never had the opportunity to try different drinks. I really like the taste of a good gin and tonic. I was getting tired of all the tonic, so I went to gin in a highball with a splash of tonic. Anymore, it's gin in a glass with 2 limes. Standards are Tanq and Bombay Sapphire. At home, I'm drinking Junipero from the Anchor distillery (of Anchor Steam beer) or Hendricks, which they tell me is infused with cucumber and rose petals, but it just tastes like yum yum gin to me.

About 4 or 5 years ago, I rediscovered tequila. Like many people, I had an unfortunate night in high school with a cheap bottle of brown crap that had the balls to call itself tequila. I woke up in a field next to my car (it was a campout) and next to a puddle of puke. Literally could not smell tequila for nearly 10 years without retching.

I was reintroduced to tequila via an excellent margarita. I started sampling many varieties and would have to put tequila and the margarita as my favorite cocktail right now. I've tried a lot of tequilas. For margaritas, my favorite has to be 30-30. It's a 100% agave tequila (I don't think the mixto's like Cuervo should even be allowed to be called tequila), and it's normally priced around $17 or $18 for a 750ml of the Blanco. Add about $2 each for the Repasado and Anejo.

Cuervo Tradicional is the only Cuervo I like. Even the 1800, which is 100% agave, doesn't seem quite right to me.

For the most part, I enjoy most 100% agave tequilas. Many of them have their own uniquie flavor, like beers. I have a few favorite sipping tequilas, but for the most part, I'm whipping up a margarita. In my recipe, the final product is somewhere around 60% tequila. I have a tendency to get people exceptionally drunk when they are drinking my margaritas.

In my opinion, Patron is at least 95% marketing. It's a very good tequila, but not deserving of the price. Unfortunately, with a few exceptions, if you're looking for a good tequila in a bar, you're stuck paying for Patron.

boozehound
02-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Canadian Club and 7up. Great drink. I also enjoy a nice glass of Scotch on the rocks (Chivas, Glenlivet, or Glenfiddich). I love red wine as well.

In the summer time I find myself drinking Tequila from time to time, but I'm generally not a very big Tequila fan.

ATL Muskie
02-19-2008, 12:48 PM
I've always liked a good 7&7.

Michigan Muskie
02-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Since I began this thread more than a month ago, I have acquired new glassware which complements my favorite cocktail rather tastefully. I want one right now.

http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/fdrnow/oct_21_002.jpg

xu2006
02-19-2008, 01:49 PM
1) Maker's Mark and Ginger Ale
2) Crown Royal and Coke
3) Tanqueray and Tonic

MuskieMax
02-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Top three drinks
1. Vodka and Tonic with a lime wedge - aka "Party Water"
2. Scotch on the rocks - preferably Glennlevitt or Glennfiddich
3. Southern Comfort on the rocks.

xuirish
02-19-2008, 02:49 PM
1. Jameson
2. Absolut Pears & Tonic
3. Makers Mark & Water

joebba
02-19-2008, 05:20 PM
1) traditional lime margaria on the rocks
2) Single Malt Scotch on the Rock
3) Bourbon on the Rocks.

Kahns Krazy
02-19-2008, 06:04 PM
1) traditional lime margaria on the rocks
2) Single Malt Scotch on the Rock
3) Bourbon on the Rocks.

I like this guy.

1) Margarita.
2) Single Malt Scotch, but only served up at Alcatraz
3) Bourbon

joebba
02-19-2008, 06:07 PM
I like this guy.

1) Margarita.
2) Single Malt Scotch, but only served up at Alcatraz
3) Bourbon

HA HA. Typos create some crazy brain synapses.

94GRAD
02-19-2008, 06:09 PM
Anything but:

1-Tequilla
2- Irish Whiskey
3- Scotch

xuirish
02-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Anything but:

1-Tequilla
2- Irish Whiskey
3- Scotch

you would say that.

94GRAD
02-19-2008, 08:31 PM
you would say that.

Yes I would.:cool:

XU AZ
02-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Jack and coke

XU05and07
02-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Beam and Coke

xuirish
02-19-2008, 09:22 PM
seems whiskey is the winner.

XU AZ
02-19-2008, 09:33 PM
seems whiskey is the winner.

Yes but not irish whiskey

eXdrummer
02-19-2008, 09:53 PM
1)Maker's and Coke
2)1/2 Baileys and 1/2 Frangelico on the rocks
3)White Russian

joebba
02-19-2008, 09:57 PM
1)Maker's and Coke
2)1/2 Baileys and 1/2 Frangelico on the rocks
3)White Russian

Mmmm. White russian.

http://www.celebritysweating.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/maria-sharapova-sweat_03.jpg

dfcapp
02-19-2008, 10:06 PM
The Caucasian aka white russian

xuirish
02-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Yes but not irish whiskey

look who decided to finally start posting.... welcome to the board FNG

Smails
02-20-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm a seasonal guy when it comes to coctailing:

Summer: 7&7, San Miguels Margarita, Rodney Strong Chard
Fall: Crown and 7
Winter: Crown Royal, Splash of sweet vermouth, no cherry. LOTS of Red Wine
Spring: Crown and 7

Pablo
02-22-2008, 10:15 PM
Scotch old enough to order itself
Tanqueray and Tonic - two limes
Grand Marnier Cinquante

And in Asia they still have PBR with a pull tab... now that is living

Strange Brew
02-22-2008, 11:10 PM
1. Beer......foreign, domestic, micro, mass brew, doesn't matter as long as it's cold.
2. Whiskey (bourbon preferably)
3. Whiskey with ice

and if he's working the self medicating counter at dana's, a Hershel(sp) special

wkrq59
02-23-2008, 12:35 AM
I was a newlywed still drinking many, many years ago.
One night, a neighbor who lived in the apartment upstairs in the building we called our first home and I were babysitting his one-year old son while our wives went out shopping.
We wanted something to drink as we watched some inane TV show.
The only thing he had in his apartment was a quart of Chianti wine, a nice red thank you.
I had a bottle of gin, Not Tanqueray, but 90 proof and smooth.
WE MIXED THE TWO in individual glasses over ice. I called it a Bloody Burro. He called it a Menstruating Mule.
The next morning I was inexorably thirsty when I awoke from four of those babies. So I drank half a caraffe of ice water from the fridge. You can imagine how long it took me to get rid of the throbbing headache.
I haven't had a drink in 15 years come May,--damn diabetes. But when I was drinking, I loved an extra dry double Beefeater Martini on the rocks with four olives I cheerfully gave to my beloved wife. One of those before a good fish or crab-cake dinner on Friday nights was a delight I often find myself missing.
After dinner, two shots of J&B scotch over ice --CuttySark was an acceptable substitute-- with an occasional addition of soda for a change of pace.
Not so surprisingly the Bloody Burro was a one-time experiment that had me sleeping on the couch when my wife and her shopping companion came home to find us singing dirty songs at the top of our lungs to drown out my friend's crying kid.

Fred Garvin
02-23-2008, 03:06 AM
I always suspected you folk were caught up in Q' s sports stories. Me, I always new there was gold in the Q slice of life.

vee4xu
02-23-2008, 07:15 AM
1. Any quality single malt scotch (the older the better) with two ice cubes.
2. Bombay Sapphire on the rocks with two olives.
3. And due to bourbonman providing me with the opportunity over the years, Old Forester on the rocks.

joebba
03-18-2012, 12:22 PM
If by cocktail you mean mixed drink, I think a Margartia, on the rocks with salt is the best mixed drink, a great, balance of sweet sour and salty.