PDA

View Full Version : 49ers get some pub

MADXSTER
09-16-2008, 10:14 PM
http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox/

Charlotte coach Bobby Lutz isn’t quite ready to anoint his 49ers as the favorites to win the A-10, but he is expecting his team to be near the top of the league.

Lutz got a look at his squad earlier this month on a Labor Day trip to Canada and was impressed with the effort.

The 49ers return just about everyone except for leading scorer Leemire Goldwire (18.6 ppg) and backup point guard Michael Gerrity, who opted to transfer out of the program shortly after returning from Canada.

This year’s team should have plenty of balance. Lamont Mack (12.8 ppg, 5.1 rpg) and Charlie Coley (8.7 ppg, 6.2) both have a year under their belt after spending their first season at Charlotte after coming via the junior college route.

Lutz has plenty of wings with An’Juan Wilderness (8.1 ppg), Ian Andersen (5.8 ppg), Charles Dewhurst, Rashad Coleman and freshman Shamarr Bowden.

Coleman (sprained ankle) and big man Gaby Ngoundjo (foot) didn’t play on the trip, but the rest of the team all averaged about 20 minutes per game so Lutz could get an opportunity to see everyone.

The key to this year’s team and the 49ers hopes of getting to the postseason is the health of junior point guard DiJuan Harris. Now that Gerrity elected to leave, Lutz is short-handed with Harris as the team’s lone primary floor leader.

``As long as DiJuan stays healthy, we’ll be fine,” Lutz said. “He can play 35 minutes because he’s so athletic and tough, but we can’t have him getting hurt.”

Lutz said Gerrity’s departure – although it was cordial – caught him completely off-guard

``It was shocking,” Lutz said. “I’ve been in this business a long time, but this was strange. I just hope Mike finds what he’s looking for.”

Lutz said that this year’s team – due to its speed, athleticism and depth – should be able to play aggressive on both ends for 40 minutes.

``I want to play that way, but we haven’t been able to do that,” Lutz said. “This year we should be able to do it because of our depth.”

However, Lutz is excited about the opportunity to utilize a big, low-post player like sophomore Phil Jones, who has improved dramatically from a year ago – when he wasn’t in shape and was still picking up the system.

``I’m not sure which way we’ll go,” Lutz said. “I think we can be flexible.”

XUOHTX
09-17-2008, 08:42 AM
bring it on...

Muskie
09-17-2008, 08:47 AM
How does Lutz continue to keep his job? Isn't "this is the year" what we hear ever year?

GoMuskies
09-17-2008, 09:07 AM
Has Charlotte beaten Xavier since they joined the A-10?

Given the way Charlotte used to hassle Louisville and Cincinnati in C-USA, they've been an incredible disappointment since joining our league.

XU05and07
09-17-2008, 09:10 AM
The article makes them sound balanced...and I hope they are. They have done alright in conference, what we need is for them to do well in OOC.

They are going to be good...but not #1 or maybe even #2 in the A10

X-band '01
09-22-2008, 10:21 AM

Given the way Charlotte used to hassle Louisville and Cincinnati in C-USA, they've been an incredible disappointment since joining our league.

Nope; Xavier is 4-0 against Charlotte so far.

Ninerballin
10-09-2008, 08:10 PM

They were two different types of leagues. We actually did okay in 05 (even though it was a disappointment with it being Wither's senior year) considering the loss of the best defensive player in school history (Basden) and a shooter who fuels Lutz's teams (Plavich).

The next year was a complete drop off, because we had nothing coming on the recruiting end except for JUCOs that were below average. Our best post player was a true Small Forward who was as skinny as a rail. We also had no PG at all.

This past year was suprising since it was a rebuilding year (so many new players, 1 senior that actually played). We performed above expectations, and it's only looking brighter this year.

I expect at least a top 4 finish this year (non con and con) in the league. There's also no excuses for not hanging an L on the Muskies at least once this year.

MADXSTER
10-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Nine,

I think most Xavier fans respect Charlotte basketball for the most part. It's a great team and a great program. Most around here are aggrevated because Charlotte has done so poorly in OOC play recently that they've brought the league RPI down as well. Then they seem to turn it on during league play which in turn seems to diminish the credibility of the league.

I always thought of Charlotte as the team I'd most hate to play on the road from watching all of the UC-Charlotte games. You knew it was going to be a war.