PDA

View Full Version : LaSalle gets #6 Center in 2008 class

MADXSTER
09-15-2008, 09:35 PM
http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox/2008/09/15/LA_SALLE_GETS_HUGE_COMMITMENT_FROM_COUNTRYS_NO_6_C ENTER

La Salle coach John Giannini just landed the biggest prize since he took over the program.

Giannini beat out Big East schools West Virginia, Rutgers and Villanova and fellow Philly powers St. Joe’s and Temple for highly regarded Glen Mills big man Aaric Murray, according to sources close to the situation.

``He’s 6-10, extremely athletic and he can block shots and rebound,” said one coach familiar with Murray’s game. ``He’s versatile offensively and can be a pro someday. He’s a huge get for La Salle.”

Murray is ranked as the sixth-best center in the Class of 2008, right behind Derrick Favors, DeMarcus Cousins, Daniel Orton, Alex Oriakhi and Keith Gallon.

Rivals.com has Murray at No. 35 overall and Scout.com has him rated 38th in the senior class.

Not bad for the Explorers, who were 8-8 in the league a year ago and return more of their scoring and rebounding than anyone else in the A-10 – and also add Mississippi State transfer Vernon Goodridge up front.

BBC 08
09-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Goodman got it wrong, it's class of 09.

Good get for LaSalle, hopefull this will bring about a better team and no longer being called LaSuck.

Firehose
09-15-2008, 09:42 PM
He definitely meant 2009, but I get a chuckle from imagining a commit for this season at this point.

MADXSTER
09-15-2008, 09:49 PM
It's 2009. I was a little too quick on the trigger. Still an awesome pickup for LaSalle. Kinda wonder how they pulled that one out of the hat.

MHettel
09-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Gotta wonder if this kid sees himself as a one-and-done. he'll walk right into the LaSalle lineup and be the featured scorer.

Firehose
09-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Gotta wonder if this kid sees himself as a one-and-done. he'll walk right into the LaSalle lineup and be the featured scorer.

I earnestly believe that one-and-dones are horrible for college basketball as a whole. Not just college basketball, but the young men and women who play it. If a player spends a year in college, leaves and fails to make it big in the NBA, that person is stuck back where they were before. A college education, even a nominal one, sets a person up in so many ways for the real world, or at least makes the rest of the world acknowledge that they were able to complete a long-term project.

Having said that, I don't think anyone would walk into LaSalle and be a one-and-done. You don't get that kind of exposure at La Salle in one year. Maybe with two or three years of continued excellence, he could have a Jameer Nelson type year and leave as a Junior or Senior with an AP POY award, but unless he singlehandedly dominates the A-10.

Long story short, he may help La Salle make it to the Semifinals of the Conference tourney, but I don't believe any player could singlehandedly turn that team around. Maybe he'll inspire some more quality players to look at La Salle, but he won't have the exposure or individual star power to be a one-and-done caliber player. Anyone that tells him otherwise is just waiting for that NBA lifestyle.

GoMuskies
09-16-2008, 12:22 AM
If he can play, the pro scouts won't have any trouble finding him at LaSalle.

PMI
09-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Yea, they found Rasual Butler. Of course he did score about 80% of his team's points in the A10s in Philly in '02. He was the only player more dominant than David West that weekend, but West got the trophies.

Emp
09-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Gianini is no Speedy Morris, so you can stop beating on the Explorers for now.

I would trade Miller for anyone, but I wouldn't mind having him at X. Same MO...quality guy, smarts and ingetrity. Mothers and Fathers will want to send a son to play for and grow up with a guy like that.

If going to the league after a year was the goal, he would have picked Huggins. This kid stays around for 4 years, he will be a beast.

Muskie
09-18-2008, 02:02 PM
you mean Wouldn't

LutherRackleyRulez
09-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Mike DeCourcy's take on LaSalle's recent uptick....

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=459211