PDA

View Full Version : Computer Nerds...

drudy23
09-05-2008, 01:00 PM
...first off, yes I'm too lazy to call Cincinnati Bell myself. Plus, they take too long.

Questions:

I have Zoomtown through Cinti Bell. I have two computers in my house on different floors. How can I get Zoomtown access to both computers? I've tried numerous hook-ups and I can only get one computer to get Internet access. Seems like it would be easy since Zoomtown comes from the phone line.

Is this possible? Seems like it would be. Am I overlooking something very simple? Thanks.

Jumpy
09-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Do you have their wireless router, or their wired modem?

Kahns Krazy
09-05-2008, 01:25 PM
If you don't already have a router, that's what you need. I have road runner, so it may be a little different. If you're wireless, there shouldn't be a problem. If you're currently hard wired from the modem directly to your computer, you need a router (wireless, if you're looking at two different floors) and two wireless cards. Warner cable charges $5 a month to rent the wireless set up, or you can buy it for probably around $100, maybe less. I haven't priced it out in a while.

If you don't consider yourself technically inclined, you might want to go the rental route, as that includes support (at least with warner cable)

drudy23
09-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Do you have their wireless router, or their wired modem?

Wired modem.

Kahns Krazy
09-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Then my options above apply. You could head to best buy and tell them what you want to do and they'll get you all set up. I think for a two computer set up (depending on if they are desktops or laptops) you should be looking $100-150. Just glancing at the zoomtown website, it doesn't appear they have an option to rent the equipment from them.

drudy23
09-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks...so will something like this work:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8741365&st=router&type=product&id=1202648529130

My computer (desktop) upstairs is hard wired with the modem. Would the router then pick up the Internet signal from the desktop and allow me to work downstairs on my other computer (which is a laptop)? Is that how it works?

XU2424
09-05-2008, 03:37 PM
you can hard wire also, but it would require a lot of wire and a lot of hiding in the baseboards or drilling into your wall. I would go wireless w/ Cincinnati Bell, thats what I use and all my computers can use it. Make sure put a WPA or WEP encryption(WPA being harder to crack). I used Cincinnati Bell and got a ghost line(free of charge) and bought the modem and pay $5 a month for the service, easy man.

Cheesehead
09-05-2008, 03:38 PM
A router would allow you to go wireless and roam a bit and it works just as you suspect but if you already have a wired modem, then you shoud able able to simply download the Cincy Bell high Speed Internet software disc on the other comuter and work off the existing phone line. They will send you the kit for free, I think; which includes their actual modem, cables, and filters for the phone line.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night..

wkrq59
09-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Drudy,
Here's your best bet. Call Cinti Bell and get into Zoomtown Service. Ask them to do one of two things.
Send someone out with a hard-wired modem AND a sufficient amount of cable to hook up a spot downstairs and the desktop upstairs so you can run both computers THROUGH THEIR ROUTER.
I am running two desktop computers off a Lynxsyes router that was purchased at MicroCenter with my techno savvy son-in-law looking over my shoulder.Also bought a wireless keyboard and mouse with it. James (SIL) hooked up the two computers through the router and it has worked fine
BUT, Cincy Bell won't admit it but at times of heavy use (4-9 p.m. when most of the kids are home from school and 7-10 p.m. when the west coast kids are on their computers CB-zoom sometimes has bandwidth problems.
'They claim I'm having slow-down accessing problems because I didn't use their router which costs $50 to have installed. I paid around $30-something at Micro Center(which by the way is having a sale now). You can buy very cheaply thumb drives (or flash drives) which store tons of data and are small enough to carry in pocket.
Or, you can have CB install a wireless router, again $50, so you can use both your laptop anywhere and your desktop upstairs at the same time.
Two caveats: Be sure to have them install that wireless router and make sure it works together (better than interfaces) with both your two computers and your printer or printers.
Also, find out (if your laptop is compatible with their wireless net plug-ins so you can take your computer anywhere in the house or outside and still work with zoomtown.
I apologize if I am speaking in techno language, but I too and technically challenged. I also have a techno-support hotline to Nashville where SIL lives and he can run an rdp on my system, actually take over running my computers, and diagnose and correct any flaws and solve any problems.
In the long run, CB zoom is the simplest and most efficient and least expensive way to go. But be sure you call MTF 9 a.m. to 4:30 or 5 p.m. Otherwise they're closed and you're screwed.
BTW, if you ever think of changing from Micro-sh!t operating system to open source free Limux-bases OS, I have a PC LinuxOS operating disc with O-Office and mucho plugins and printer hookups on it that's yours free. Ask Guy Fawkes 38 how he's enjoyed the same system for sometime now. you can reach me at daybear813@gmail.com
q:D

Jumpy
09-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Yep, these guys got you covered.

For your setup, though, I wouldn't go with the Cint. Bell wireless router. I got it and ended up switching back to my old wireless router because it had a stronger signal. I have a wireless-n router, a wireless range expander (to strengthen the signal in the basement as the router is on the second floor) and a laptop network adapter, all from Linksys. I've found that it is best to go with all one company for the equipment so you know it's compatible and won't have to spend too much time setting up your network. Here are links to all the equipment I have:

Router: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124068&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Network+-+Wireless+Routers-_-Linksys-_-33124068

range expander: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124037&Tpk=linksys%20wre54g

network adapter (for laptop): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124122

One note, you will have to spend some time manually connecting the above router and expander combo because they are not "out-of-the-box" compatible. I got that router because it is set up for wireless-N, which is the next step in wireless home networking. Although it is not yet in use, I wanted to "future proof" as much of my network as possible. If you need the range expander and want a compatible router, this is a good one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124010&Tpk=linksys%20wrt%2054g