PDA

View Full Version : Chad Johnson is ridiculous

Muskie
09-04-2008, 04:04 PM
There i said it... discuss.

XU05and07
09-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Who is this Chad Johnson character you speak of? I remember that the Bengals had a Chad Johnson once

xubball93
09-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Chad, Ocho-Psycho-Stinco, whatever your name is, catch the damn ball, score TDs and block down field when your number isn't called. Help your team win!

Stonebreaker
09-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Mr. Johnson is rediculous. He's not a serious person, and his antics are childish.
I'm still glad he's on the Bengals. WR is the only position that doesn't suck.

Swifty
09-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Mr. Johnson is rediculous. He's not a serious person, and his antics are childish.
I'm still glad he's on the Bengals. WR is the only position that doesn't suck.

Our QB certainly doesn't suck.

nuts4xu
09-04-2008, 10:08 PM
I don't see the ire he is drawing for this. The guy is a silly man, plain and simple. I see no harm in this, and can't see any reason why other people would be upset in the least.

Non issue.

Muskie
09-05-2008, 08:19 AM
I don't see the ire he is drawing for this. The guy is a silly man, plain and simple. I see no harm in this, and can't see any reason why other people would be upset in the least.

Non issue.

It's not just "this" Nuts. I find most of his actions unnecessary and certainly not very funny. But minds differ.

X-band '01
09-07-2008, 08:14 AM
I'm sorry, but when I see Chad listed as Chad OC in the newspapers and Bengals.com now, it's ridiculous. All this does is confirm that he's a me-first player and team guy second.

Kahns Krazy
09-07-2008, 10:40 AM
He keeps out of trouble. He's a world class wide receiver. If he wants to have fun with it, I'm totally ok with that.

I'm predicting a big day for Chad today. 150 yards and at least one TD.

mlcspinner
09-07-2008, 11:19 AM
There i said it... discuss.

this is why we should all be Patriots fans :D

drudy23
09-07-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm predicting a big day for Chad today. 150 yards and at least one TD.

Looks like CJ missed the memo...embarrasing.

Kahns Krazy
09-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Man. I am really depressed. I knew I was being a little Polyannish hoping for some good things this season, but today was the absolute worst case realized.

I'm not going to go all Thor and act like I'm no longer a fan, but I'm prepared for some bad, bad football this year. Hopefully the weather will be nice.

XU05and07
09-07-2008, 10:57 PM
this is why we should all be Patriots fans :D

Their season might be over now, too

Emp
09-08-2008, 11:44 AM
So the guy changes his name. Muhammad Ali. Kareem. I had a law school classmate change his just before graduation. Still the same guy, good or bad or mixed.

As for the anctics, loved the riverdance. The guy is creative. As for wanting to be traded, if the name of the game is winning, why wouldn't a guy of his talents want to go somewhere and win?

He's going to slip into obscurity at some point any way, why begrudge him? Much better choice than Randy Moss as far as solid citizen off the field.

Tardy Turtle
09-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Muhammad Ali. Kareem

I don't think these examples are analogous. Changing your name as a part of a religious conversion <> changing your name as a way of shouting "Look at me! LOOK AT ME!!! ZOMGWTFBBQ LOOKATME!!!!!!!!!"**

**Unless, of course, attention whoring is your new religion.

boozehound
09-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Man. I am really depressed. I knew I was being a little Polyannish hoping for some good things this season, but today was the absolute worst case realized.

I'm not going to go all Thor and act like I'm no longer a fan, but I'm prepared for some bad, bad football this year. Hopefully the weather will be nice.

Yeah, it was bad all right.

The really discouraging thing is that it reminds me a bit of some of the 90's teams in that the offensive line play is terrible. If the line can't figure out how to block it is over.

Eric Ghiachuc (sp?) is awful. Just awful. Stacy Andrews has to be playing like the worst franchise player in the history of the franchise tag. That line has never been the same since losing Braham and Steinbach.

Juice
09-08-2008, 06:59 PM
The problem is that the Bengals paid Willie and not Steinbach. They paid Willie for his past performance, and they should have paid him earlier in his career, and they let Eric go. Everyone loved Willie and rightfully so, but everyone also knew he was on the downward part of his career. Now we don't even have Willie and we let our best lineman go to Cleveland.

Bengals football: yay!

Jumpy
09-08-2008, 08:17 PM
I just like that Reebok put the smackdown on the name change. I doubt we'll be seeing "ocho cinco" on the back of his jersey this year, or any year as long as he has to pay for all the excess jerseys made with "johnson" on the back.

Juice
09-08-2008, 08:28 PM
I dont think it is Reebok that is doing this but the NFL. Reebok probably could eat the costs of the old C. Johnson jerseys and make more back selling Ocho Cinco ones. I think Roger Gooddell is doing what he can to stop this.

AdamtheFlyer
09-08-2008, 08:30 PM
I like my receivers to be "me first". Look at the best two receivers in the game right now, Moss and TO. Are there two guys who define "me first" better than them? Suddenly they get on good teams and they're great guys. Great teammates. Yeah, not buying that anything changed with the players themselves.

"Me first" players on a good team have "passion" and a "great will to win". "Me first" players on a bad team are "a cancer". Remember in 2005 when Chad was "refreshing", "wacky", and "fun"? The same Chad today is "ridiculous" and "needs to shut his mouth."

boozehound
09-08-2008, 09:33 PM
The problem is that the Bengals paid Willie and not Steinbach. They paid Willie for his past performance, and they should have paid him earlier in his career, and they let Eric go. Everyone loved Willie and rightfully so, but everyone also knew he was on the downward part of his career. Now we don't even have Willie and we let our best lineman go to Cleveland.

Bengals football: yay!

Agreed. I think that they also had major hangups about paying a guard the kind of money Steinbach wanted (and got). The funny thing is that they were OK with paying Stacey Andrews $8MM per year when he had never consistantly started at the tackle spot.

I think that our line would be better off with Whitworth at RT, Steinbach at LG, Jones at LT, Williams at RG, and someone besides Gaycheck at center.

Hindsight is 20-20 though. At the time that they let Steinbach go Willie was showing no real signs of slowing down (and lineman have played well into their 30's at a high level in the past). Willie was a ironman who was almost never hurt. Jones was looking like one of the best left tackles in the game. They figured that they would lock up the tackles, because a guard would be easier to replace. They were probably right. Whitworth is a decent guard, as is Bobbie Williams. Stacy Andrews was a good guard as well (although apparently not a good tackle). Obviously, knowing what we know now, we would probably have kept Steinback. At the time the decision was made, however, the reasoning behind it was sound overall, IMO.

gladdenguy
09-11-2008, 01:16 PM
Our QB certainly doesn't suck.

I would argue this statement. After his injury he hasn't been good. That is for sure.

Kahns Krazy
09-11-2008, 02:53 PM
I would argue this statement. After his injury he hasn't been good. That is for sure.

2006:
QB rating 93.9 (6th)
Completions: 324 (6th)
YPA: 7.76 (5th)
Comp % 62.3% (11th)
Yards: 4035 (5th)
TD's: 28 (2nd)
Int's: 13 (T-15th)
Int% 2.5 (9th)
Sacks 36 (24th)

In 2007, he set the Bengals all time passing yards and completions records.

Try not to let these facts get in the way of your argument. That is for sure.

Muskie
09-11-2008, 06:34 PM
The big rumor is now that Chad only plans to keep Ocho Cinco now for one year. Gee I wonder if he told the judge that when he petitioned for the change. It's be funny if the judge wasn't so anxious to change it back.

gladdenguy
09-12-2008, 08:20 AM
2006:
QB rating 93.9 (6th)
Completions: 324 (6th)
YPA: 7.76 (5th)
Comp % 62.3% (11th)
Yards: 4035 (5th)
TD's: 28 (2nd)
Int's: 13 (T-15th)
Int% 2.5 (9th)
Sacks 36 (24th)

In 2007, he set the Bengals all time passing yards and completions records.

Try not to let these facts get in the way of your argument. That is for sure.

Argue stats all you want and since you love stats, look up his qb rating for the Indianapolis, Denver and Pittsburgh games to end 2006 when we needed a win to get into the playoffs. Much appreciated.
In 2007, how many interceptions did he throw? 20?? 7-9 record???
He is probably the Bengals leader whether we like it or not. A leader is supposed to make plays when we need it most. I just haven't seen it yet.
You can argue Chad Johnson's stats all you want, but after week 10 he is nowhere to be found. He has some outstanding games in the middle of the year to pad those stats but when we need a big play, he is nowhere to be found (ie - playoff game, Denver game 06, Indy game 06, Pitt game 06, Buffalo game 07 when he dropped yet another pass off his chest pad, etc.
So, I guess my argument really doesn't have much to do with stats.
I guess if I was arguing with you or Lance we would agree to disagree.

I love Carson Palmer. Don't get me wrong. I guess I just expect Tom Brady or Peyton Manning numbers but the more he plays the more I realize that is not possible.
I guess everyone just gives Palmer a free pass and blames it on his defense, line, receivers, running game, and coaches. I choose to give Palmer a little blame as well.

Kahns Krazy
09-12-2008, 10:44 AM
You can change your argument if you'd like, but initially you said after his injury he was not good. "That is for sure". Now if you'd like to say that your definition of "not good" is "not Peyton Manning or Tom Brady good", then I can't really argue with you. If you want to pick 3 games and say he's not good in those, I can't argue with you, although it was our kicking game and our defense that lost those games.

2007 was not a good year for Palmer, but that wasn't your argument. Still, he set franchise records for passing yards and completions behind weakening protection from his line.

I never argued Chad Johnsons stats. I believe Chad's best days are behind him unless he can find his way back to the way he played in 2005 - which may still be possible. If Chad and Carson can't get their timing back, Chad will never be great again. In 2005, he caught at least a third of his passes in stride. Now it seems to be less than 1 in 10. He's always leaping up and back and sideways for passes. This is beating him up and eliminating any chance to run after the catch. Chad's still a solid #1 receiver, and I really hope he can get back to form.

There more than 25 teams in the NFL that would jump at a chance to have our quarterback who in your mind is "not good for sure".

If he looks like he did last week again, maybe we should jump at that. I hope he's done with that visor thing.

gladdenguy
09-12-2008, 01:40 PM
I still think he hasn't been good after his injury.
If you think his 2006 season was "good" that is debatable. I could name 10 better qb season performances that year if I tried. again 8-8.
His 2007 season was not good. could name 15 better qb season performances. 7-9
His 2008 season has started out pathetic. could name 25 better qb game performances.
0-1
His 2005 season was incredible. His team was 11-5.
It is just a shame we will never give him a shot at a championship.
Chill out man. You take things way too seriously.

Kahns Krazy
09-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Yes, I need to chill out. I'm the one sending profanity laced private messages. Oh wait, that's you.

Go back to your Elder football and your high school friends.

gladdenguy
09-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Woah, that was a great one. However, I do love people jealous of Elder.

gladdenguy
09-14-2008, 03:27 PM
And again, what a great performance for our franchise quarterback Carson Palmer today. Wait, he'll get a free pass because of the wind.

Emp
09-16-2008, 10:32 PM
Not to accidentally wander back to the topic title, or provoke the Eastern Media phobics, but Chad is on the cover of the monthly Sunday NY Times PLAY sports mag, looking hillarious in a bow tie, button down shirt, sweater, professorial glasses, and a bulky cardigan...headlining a story about why wide receivers are so flamboyantly eccentric..and normal.

For real sports reading nuts, several great football articles, Ironman story, and a great piece on Barry Zito.