PDA

View Full Version : Chris Braswell (Commit Charlotte)

MADXSTER
08-24-2008, 02:53 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=43843&season=2008&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d438 43%26season%3d2008

Chris Braswell | Power Forward
Hometown: Baltimore, MD
Hargrave Military Academy (VA)
Position rank: Power Forward # 21
Ht: 6'8" Wt: 220

Last Updated:8/21/2008
Data provided by Scouts, Inc.
Scouts Grade 89

Great body. Long arms good hands, quick feet. He can beat his defender both inside and outside. In the post he likes to spin baseline and score. He can play facing the basket comfortably at 15'. A shot blocker who rebounds well on both ends of the floor.

A very good athlete who must be more of a presence in the paint on a more consistent basis. He has a chance to dominate inside if he commits himself. He must continue to work on his 15' jumper from the high post.

http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/200807160093

Chris Braswell was committed to the Georgetown Hoyas and planned to star in the Big East Conference near his home in Fort Washington, Md.

Now the 6-foot-8, 230-pound forward is one of the top players available players in the 2009 recruiting class.
Of the 20 or so serious offers, WVU and the Hoyas are competing with Pitt, Syracuse, Connecticut, Villanova, Xavier, Charlotte, Virginia Tech, Virginia, Indiana, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.*

Braswell spotted Virginia Tech, Xavier, Villanova, Charlotte and West Virginia watching him on the first two days of the Jam Fest.

xufan02
09-03-2008, 03:36 PM
Braswell is down to five and has scheduled his visits, starting at Xavier on 9/13.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3845780

PMI
09-03-2008, 03:44 PM
I saw this kid play my high school when he played for DeMatha. Definitely big and strong with a ton of potential, all though he was young and raw when I saw him. I think Miller could turn him into a beast though.

I can't wait for our first 2009 commitment much longer.

Juice
09-03-2008, 03:59 PM
What made him go to Hargrave from Dematha? Grades? Just so he could develop as a player?

Dematha is a factory for basketball players, so it just seems odd that he would take another year in prep school.

kyxu
09-03-2008, 04:02 PM
What made him go to Hargrave from Dematha? Grades? Just so he could develop as a player?

Dematha is a factory for basketball players, so it just seems odd that he would take another year in prep school.

Yeah, I don't think he qualified academically for Georgetown, which caused him to reclassify to 2009.

PMI
09-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Yes, from what I understand it was an academic thing which is a bit concerning considering A) Xavier's academic standards and B) DeMatha's academic standards. I don't want to badmouth the school too much, but they do not make it unreasonable for their athletes to get by in their classes. In any case, I hope he comes to XU and listens to what Sr. Flemming has to say. It's worked for several players in the past.

xu95
09-04-2008, 07:54 AM
He might say he is down to five, but I have heard from multiple sources that he is really down to two. Xavier and Charlotte. Who knows though with teenagers.

xu95

MHettel
09-04-2008, 11:43 AM
I like the sound of this kid. A big forward for 2009.

Seal the deal.

Juice
09-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Another question about this kid, has his ranking risen, fallen, or stayed the same as when he was coming out of Dematha?

MADXSTER
09-04-2008, 12:18 PM
He was ranked 84th and it has risen to 78th. Doesn't seem to be much and to be honest a little surprising that he isn't higher. My impression is that those who do the rankings keep things pretty status quo. From what I'm reading, he plays better than his ranking and he plays like a beast inside.

MHettel
09-05-2008, 10:23 AM
I saw that Charlotte just picked up KJ Sherrill, who is a 3 star PF from NC, class of 2009.

I thought I saw that Braswell was thought to be deciding between XU and Charlotte. He's a class of 2009 PF also....

Anyone share my hope that he'll sign up when he comes to campus on 9/13?

xu95
09-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Braswell will be here next weekend. So will Kevin Parrom. Look for both of them to be Muskies next year.

xu95

xufan02
09-05-2008, 12:02 PM
KJ Sherrill has a PF game, but he is undersized at the position. I would not be surprised if he is more of a SF by the time he gets to Charlotte. Maryland, Virginia Tech, and Xavier have yet to get a player in the 2009 class. IU has two SF/PF verbals, and now Charlotte has a SF/PF verbal. It will interesting how this plays out, but I would imagine he is going to take all his visits before making a choice.

X-man
09-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Braswell will be here next weekend. So will Kevin Parrom. Look for both of them to be Muskies next year.

xu95

I've learned to trust you on recruiting matters over the years, xu95. I sure hope my trust is well placed. If you are right, major rep pts will come your way.

MADXSTER
09-05-2008, 12:17 PM
If you are right, major rep pts will come your way.

Actually I told 95 to say that, so just send the rep pts my way.

Braswell's a beast. Parrom is the King.

xufan02
09-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Parrom and Braswell would be a great 2009 class. The SF spot would be in good hands with Jordan Crawford and Kevin Parrom. The PF spot with Brown (hopefully), Mclean, and Braswell is just sick depth.

MADXSTER
09-05-2008, 01:50 PM
I will be going out of town for the weekend. Would someone please make sure Parrom and Braswell both commit while I'm gone. I would really appriciate it.

Thank you in advance.

Madx

wkrq59
09-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Yes, Maxter!:D

BBC 08
09-05-2008, 04:10 PM
I've learned to trust you on recruiting matters over the years, xu95. I sure hope my trust is well placed. If you are right, major rep pts will come your way.

I second this about xu95. I can't remember how many times he has been right when it comes to recruiting.

xufan02
09-05-2008, 04:33 PM
I would believe xu95 and sash19 and thats about it, those guys appear to be connected when it comes to recruiting.

Ninerballin
09-14-2008, 06:54 AM
Anyone know how the visit went? He's already made 1 unofficial to Charlotte, and he has us slated for our Midnight Madness, so I was wondering if anyone actually got word to any comments he made, his impressions, etc. about Xavier.

xu95
09-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Anyone know how the visit went? He's already made 1 unofficial to Charlotte, and he has us slated for our Midnight Madness, so I was wondering if anyone actually got word to any comments he made, his impressions, etc. about Xavier.

Niner, I would say it is 50/50 right now between Xavier and Charlotte (maybe 60/40 charlotte). Like Ari, if he doesn't commit to Charlotte during your midnight madness it looks good for Xavier.

xu95

xufan02
09-17-2008, 01:10 PM
This guy would look good playing along side Kenny for three years.

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1258411864&channel=1215674518

suspectx
09-17-2008, 02:34 PM
I am not trying to get carried away with this kid, but about 15 seconds in, I was thinking the way he played and even his body type reminded me of someone else. About 10 seconds later, it hit me on one his dunks, that the way he plays in those highlights really reminds me of David West. I am not saying he will be anywhere near as good as David West, but I thought some of the moves and plays in the video were very similar to D West at Xavier. He would be a great addition to the '09 class and to the front court that would consist of Frease, Love, McLean, and maybe Brown.

sylvester
09-17-2008, 02:38 PM
It appears that Braswell is dependent on the PG to attract Braswell's man in driving and dishing to an always well positioned Braswell. This is good in that he is patient and understands the importance of positioning but not as good in that he does not appear to be creating any shots. I think that he would be great with Frease and our plethora of athletic guards, but I would like to see some more footage to see how Braswell does in situations where he has to create on his own or with a bigger man defending him. I'm not trying to degrade Braswell at all, the video shows great touch and solid play. Any more videos??

Also, what do people think of the transfer to Hargrave? As a school that prides itself on academic consistency with athletes, are there any potential issues for Braswell on the academic front? I'm not comparing Xavier to Georgetown academically, but it seems from the early responses that the grades were an issue.

Muskie
09-17-2008, 03:32 PM
It's also possible that he transferred to Hargrave because of the glut of players at his position in the 2008 recruiting class I guess.

PMI
09-17-2008, 03:40 PM
I know he had a little trouble academically at DeMatha, his first high school, but without taking any direct shots at the Stags, I will say that I would trust that the academic environment at Xavier along with the guidance of Sr. Fleming would be enough to keep him eligible and get him graduated.

MADXSTER
09-17-2008, 04:14 PM
I was very impressed with the video. And I don't usually care for video highlights that much.

Sly, he did have a nice baseline drive to the basket to his left and kissed it high off the glass. That was nice. Another play the guard passed the ball harder than he should have and off to the side of Braswell. Braswell showed quick hands in grabbing it, didn't bobble the ball and put it in the basket. That was impressive. Several times he layed the ball in instead of dunking which was the smart move with players around. Another play he recieved the ball and he went straight to the basket and dunked it instead of taking one bounce to the basket and slamming it. That was more of a veteran play.

He did have academic issues but seemed to have straightened them out by going away to school.

MADXSTER
09-25-2008, 04:39 PM
http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/blog.html

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Here are a few nuggets from this Thursday afternoon.
Indiana will have a couple of visitors on campus this weekend, including commitment Maurice Creek and his Hargrave Military Academy Chris Braswell. Creek will be checking out his future school, while the 6-foot-8 Braswell could be the final piece to the Hoosiers' 2009 Class. He's already visited Xavier and Maryland and is looking at several other schools. At this point, I'd say either Braswell or Bawa Muniru are the likely candidates to be the final commitment for the class.

Juice
09-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Was the IU visit planned or is this new?

MADXSTER
09-25-2008, 09:29 PM
It was planned.

Their top recruit is some African dude who has grade problems. Benui or something like that. I hope they get him.

xufan02
09-26-2008, 06:53 AM
Bawa Muniru verballed last night to IU. I doubt Braswell visits IU this weekend. IU is already one scholarship over the amount they have to offer in 2009. IF they accepted another offer it would be against Big Ten policy.

MADXSTER
09-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Bawa Muniru verballed last night to IU. I doubt Braswell visits IU this weekend. IU is already one scholarship over the amount they have to offer in 2009. IF they accepted another offer it would be against Big Ten policy.

I'm pretty sure it is also against NCAA policy. I'm surprised they went after him because from what I've read, he has academic problems.

But it's good news all the same. One less school to creep in and compete with.

Mark 3 Pointer
09-26-2008, 10:11 AM
I am not trying to get carried away with this kid, but about 15 seconds in, I was thinking the way he played and even his body type reminded me of someone else. About 10 seconds later, it hit me on one his dunks, that the way he plays in those highlights really reminds me of David West. I am not saying he will be anywhere near as good as David West, but I thought some of the moves and plays in the video were very similar to D West at Xavier. He would be a great addition to the '09 class and to the front court that would consist of Frease, Love, McLean, and maybe Brown.

I agree 100%... this kid moves and looks exactly like David West. I will be very happy if X lands this kid. Could the second coming be upon us?

xu95
09-26-2008, 11:47 AM

He will definitely take his official visit. Why the heck not? It is a free trip, free food, women, etc. Hell, I would go if I could.

xu95

xufan02
09-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Even if he does visit IU they have pretty close to a 0% chance of getting him to verbal. Per Braswell's coach he is signing in the early period after he visits all 5 schools.

Hell I would go though if I were him for all the reasons tha xu_95 mentioned and more.

Muskie
09-26-2008, 12:37 PM
IU as of this morning has reached their scholarship limit (they're in face one over for next year which is allowable under Big Ten Rules). No room at the inn for Braswell it seems.

XU05and07
09-26-2008, 12:39 PM
IU as of this morning has reached their scholarship limit (they're in face one over for next year which is allowable under Big Ten Rules). No room at the inn for Braswell it seems.

They could always pull a scholarship from someone else to make room...but I don't see them doing that....maybe if Kelvin was still coach

Muskie
09-26-2008, 12:40 PM
They would have to pull two scholarships. AN even less likely scenario.

XU05and07
09-26-2008, 01:01 PM
They would have to pull two scholarships. AN even less likely scenario.

maybe they are expecting more kids to leave the school...not an unlikely scenario

Muskie
09-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Well at this point it would pretty much have to be someone they already recruited. There are hardly any Sampson "refugees" left. Of course it's probably someone will either go to prep school or traqnsfer which frees a scholarship for BAWA.

MADXSTER
09-26-2008, 02:45 PM
maybe they are expecting more kids to leave the school...not an unlikely scenario

The only one left is Taber(sp) who is a senior walkon who is presently injured. He may have been put on scholarship once everyone started leaving.

XU05and07
09-26-2008, 03:11 PM
The only one left is Taber(sp) who is a senior walkon who is presently injured. He may have been put on scholarship once everyone started leaving.

When the NCAA makes their ruling (whenever that will be)...some kids might not want to go there anymore

xufan02
09-26-2008, 05:27 PM
Maryland one of the schools in Braswell's final five just got a commit from PF James Padgett today. They have one more scholarship for the 2009 class and they have their #1 target C Jordan Williams on campus this weekend. It looks like the competition for Braswell is down to three schools, Xavier, Va Tech, and Charlotte.

xudash
09-29-2008, 09:26 AM
Maybe I'm completely out of it, but wasn't he due on campus this weekend?

Any word?

xufan02
09-29-2008, 09:31 AM
He visited Xavier the same weekend Parrom committed. He has one or two more visits then a decision. We should know something by mid to late October.

Muskie
09-29-2008, 09:35 AM
http://www.xavierhoops.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=5338

MHettel
09-29-2008, 02:52 PM
IU planned to have Braswell come in this past weekend, but prior to his visit, IU received a verbal from another PF / C that was presumed to be their #1 recruit. This gave them 14 players earmarked for 2009, meaning they were unable to extend a scholarship offer to Braswell.

Braswell still took the trip, and was told by Crean that he should not commit in the early period, and wait until the late signing period and IU would have their scholarship situation resolved.

This means, IU will have to let 2 guys go, as they have 14 already. It also means Braswell has the ability to offer a VERBAL commitment to a school, but refrain from signing an LOI in the early period. This gives him the option to reneg and take an IU offer if it materializes in the late period.

Interesting that Crean continues to recruit 2009 guys, when he's already got an overfull roster. You would think he'd turn his attention to 2010 and beyond.

We should bring that Russian kid onto campus soon.

BBC 08
09-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Wow, this doesn't make Crean to sound shady at all.

XU05and07
09-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Wow, this doesn't make Crean to sound shady at all.

Asking a kid to wait to commit is normal...Thad did it with Lowery waiting for Odia's decision

The shady part is having 14 already committed and going for more knowing that you are going to have to drop some kids

Muskie
09-29-2008, 03:46 PM
The kid that committed right before Braswell (named Bawa) needs to complete five course in order to meet NCAA qualifications for students with international schools on their transcript (BAWA is African). That is why Crean has said that the scholarship situation will be cleared up in the Spring.

Some solutions to their scholarship overcrowding:

1. Have one of the guys go the prep route
2. Pull a scholarship from one of the walk-ons that was on the team last season (Taber)
3. Hope that Doc Rivers kid will pay hos own way (he didn't at G-Town).

X-man
09-29-2008, 07:37 PM
As has been reported on the A10 board, Braswell has cancelled his visit to VT and will be at Charlotte this weekend instead of attending their Midnight Madness as originally planned. Expect him to choose between Charlotte and the Muskies shortly after. If xu95 is right, it's a 50-50 proposition at this point but I really like the Muskie's chances given this new development.

MHettel
09-29-2008, 07:48 PM
That's great news. He'll look real good next to Kenny Frease for 3 years.

xu95
09-30-2008, 07:45 AM
He will offer a verbal commitment to somebody next week. I still don't think he knows who that will be yet.

IU was never a real player for Braswell, so it doesn't matter what Crean says to him.

xu95

Muskie
09-30-2008, 08:01 AM
I don't know, Indiana seems awfully confident at this point. It seems like Braswell might be tempted to play with Maurice Creek at IU, if both commit.

xufan02
09-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Creek has already committed to IU. Braswell has as good of a change of playing for IU as I have to start for Xavier this season.

Muskie
09-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Creek has already committed to IU. Braswell has as good of a change of playing for IU as I have to start for Xavier this season.

Correct... i could have worded it better to say that if Braswell commits to Indiana he can play with Creek.

rworkman09
09-30-2008, 03:01 PM
This will be Braswell's second visit to Charlotte. Hopefully he is only returning a second time to seal the deal. :D

KJ Sherrill, a recent commit did just that. He visited Charlotte, the visited a lot of other schools before returning to Charlotte a second time to officially commit.
________
ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE FORUMS (http://www.health-forums.org/alzheimer-s-disease/)

XU05and07
09-30-2008, 03:21 PM
This will be Braswell's second visit to Charlotte. Hopefully he is only returning a second time to seal the deal. :D

KJ Sherrill, a recent commit did just that. He visited Charlotte, the visited a lot of other schools before returning to Charlotte a second time to officially commit.

Maybe he is just going back to say "Thanks, but no thanks"...he may be a little classier than Al Davis who fires coaches over the phone

xufan02
09-30-2008, 03:24 PM

Welcome to the Xavier board rworkman09, saw you posting on the A-10 board regarding Braswell. What is Charlotte's depth chart look like? What are you hearing from your camp regarding Braswell? I would imagine that if Braswell leaves Charlotte on Sunday not a 49er I like Xavier's chances. Good Luck.

rworkman09
09-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Charlotte's depth is pretty good overall, although weak at PG with Gerrity deciding transfer because he couldn't beat out a walk-on last season for playing time. Harris is very capable (lead league last season in Assist to turnover ratio), but this will leave him playing 35 minutes a game at least at PG for us. We're solid at SF with Wilderness and Dewhurst entering their sophomore seasons. PF we have Coley and Mack who both performed well in their first season of D1 ball last year. At SG we have Shamarr Bowden coming in. He put up big numbers in Canada when the 49ers crushed everyone they played (including teams that play relatively competitively with some very respectable programs). We also have Javarris Barnett to play the 2, 3, or 4. He was recruited to play the 2, but he was 6'7 and has put on a lot of muscle, so he may play a little inside as well. He put up pretty good numbers in our three game stint in Canada as well. Rashad Coleman is another incoming player who was pretty highly sought after in the late signing period. He supposedly has good range on his shot and is incredibly athletic. Has a vertical similar to that of Charlie Coley. At center we have Phil Jones who has slimmed down and gotten into shape. He has the size to be a dominant force in the league, hopefully he develops into that player starting this season.

Next season we have KJ Sherrill who slipped under the radar for most of high school. He really opened some eyes his senior year and some recruiting analysts are now saying he was one of the top 5 prospects in the state of North Carolina. One compared him to Curtis Withers, except better. We also have Shamari Spears, a transfer from Boston College who put up approximately 10 points and 6 rebounds in 20 minutes of playtime in his sophomore season.

As far as Braswell goes, I was told by a very reliable source that we were still his leader following his visit to Maryland.

If we land him, we will be a stacked team 2009-2011. Maybe we can even dethrone you guys :D

You guys should come over to ninernation.net. It's a good board with a lot of traffic unlike some of the other A-10 boards. Would definitely like to have some opposing teams' fans come over and talk basketball. Look forward to playing you guys twice this year.
________
VOLCANO CLASSIC (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/volcano)

Firehose
09-30-2008, 08:57 PM
If we land him, we will be a stacked team 2009-2011. Maybe we can even dethrone you guys :D

Hey now... let's try to keep it realistic... you're starting to sound like B-RAD FAN...

In all seriousness, good luck this season - hopefully we can continue our growth as a conference together.

xu95
10-01-2008, 07:45 AM
I think right now Charlotte is still the leader, but the margin is very slim. I agree with fan02, if he leaves Charlotte without committing, our chances go up exponentially.

xu95

MHettel
10-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Couple thoughts

He already knows where he's going. No question in my mind.

If it's XU, then he's at least honoring his obligation to Charlotte by making his official visit and giving them one last chance to speak to him. Thats the most polite way to handle it, even if he's already made up his mind to come to XU.

If it's Charlotte, then he's clearly seen enough of his recruiting options and is ready to come to campus to make it official.

You could argue that the change in date could have been initiated by either school.

Xu might have told him that the Russian kid is coming before MM, and that he would be encouraged to commit on his visit. That could leave Braswell behind, so he moved up his Charlotte visit so he could "get it done" and then commit to XU on Sunday Monday.

On the other hand, he's maybe already decided on Charlotte and just wants to get it over with. End the recruiting process.

If it's Charlotte, we'll know by Saturday, he'll want to spend Sunday as a verballed recruit checking out the campus. Beyond Saturday and it's XU.

Runningman
10-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Next season we have KJ Sherrill who slipped under the radar for most of high school. He really opened some eyes his senior year and some recruiting analysts are now saying he was one of the top 5 prospects in the state of North Carolina. One compared him to Curtis Withers, except better.

Pretty impressive that a recruit can jump from a 2 star with one offer to one of the top prospects in arguably the most talented state. It's a shame we missed out on this kid.

I think MHettel has the right idea about whether or not he is just honoring his word to visit or to commit at Charlotte. I am in heavy anticipation for Saturday.

MHettel
10-04-2008, 09:20 AM
It's Saturday, so Braswell should be at Charlotte. If he's going there, I'd expect him to verbal today.

One way or another, he'll be done with his recruiting after tomorrow, and I'd guess he'll make his decision within 72 hrs.

Any final thoughts?

Also, does anyone think a Juco big man could be in our future? If we miss on CB and the russian kid, it might make sense to target a top Juco big man (not Marcus Mason or Obi Harris or Khalil Nixon or Desmond Walker). Then if Brown leaves, we can target a project PF that is raw and could take a few years to be ready....

MADXSTER
10-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Last year Xavier only had 10 scholarship players and did pretty well. My take is that we should continue to focus on quality players.

HOPEFULLY Braswell sees the light and comes to Xavier. At Xavier he would play the PF position whcih will help him develop for the next level. At Charlotte he will play the C position which I've read that he would prefer not to play at the college level. The biggest key is that he may wish to stay closser to home.

Regarding a JUCO player. I would say that if he's not one of the top players then Xavier should stay away. I don't recall how well of a player Braggs was considered. IMO he was the best JUCO that Xavier had by far.

I would also like Xavier to continue to look at a SF for 2010. If anything happens to Parrom, injury, grades, etc. other teams could take advantage of Xavier.

Also, Xavier has done well by keeping 1 scholarship open and getting an awesome transfer. Crawford, Anderson, Lavender.

MADXSTER
10-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Sunday....Thus far no news. And no news is good news.

xufan02
10-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Charlotte has sophomore Center Phil Jones who will be a junior when/if Braswell goes to Charlotte. I think Braswell would have the opportunity to play both the Center or PF positions at Charlotte.

At Xavier he would be used at the 4, with Love (senior), Frease (sophomore), and Mclean (Junior) all able to play Center. I also think that Frease could see some time next season at the PF spot if Xavier misses out on a true PF, and takes a player like Fitzgerald or Hassan Whitside who are more of your back to the basket post player.

Of course we are all assuming that Derrick Brown is going to be going pro; which will not be a sure thing unless he has a breakout season. In the end I think it would be a better for long term recruiting if we in fact got a PF/C in the 2009 class. In the 2010 class we are in good shape with 2 Face-up Power Forwards in Donnie Hale and JD Weatherspoon. I would like to have Kyryl and Parrom in 2009 and JD Weatherspoon and Donnie Hale in the 2010 class.

XU99deuce
10-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Frease will never play a minute of power forward....ever

xufan02
10-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Frease will never play a minute of power forward....ever

Kenny Frease has better shooting skills than Jason Love and Jamel Mclean. Have you ever seen him play? He has range to the three point line, so the chances of him playing the power forward are probably better than you would think. I would not be shocked to see Kenny and Love on the floor at the same time.

I have seen him play a hand full of times and he has face-up skills.

kyxu
10-05-2008, 08:46 PM
I don't profess to know everything about basketball, but what does Frease being able to shoot three-pointers have to do with a professed ability to play power forward?

Muskie
10-05-2008, 09:08 PM
I don't profess to know everything about basketball, but what does Frease being able to shoot three-pointers have to do with a professed ability to play power forward?

Concur.. David West could supposedly shoot 3's. He played Center.

A10fan
10-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Concur.. David West could supposedly shoot 3's. He played Center.

He would have made a better PF at X if we had another big man. I think he is trying to say that Frease has enough of a face up game to play PF if needed along side of Love.

Muskie
10-05-2008, 09:21 PM
True... but why play him at PF? He can't face up his defender at C? It's done all the time.

wkrq59
10-06-2008, 01:21 AM
Just from watching him on the few videos we have, I could see him in a high-low two post operation or a simple double post. I haven't seen him with the ability Derrick has to put the ball on the floor. I would think one good way to defend him in fact would be to push him slightly beyond his comfort zone but not leave him alone, unguarded on the perimeter.
He would be better served developing his skills as a center offensively, a strong rebounder and defender in the post. Bring him out to power forward and he might also be more foul-prone..
I don't think Love has the shot and the defensive moves to play the four. Besides, Xavier has Brown and McLean . The three is loaded with BJ, CJ (who might even play 4) and even Walsh. And the ones and twos are loaded. There is more depth at every position than Xavier has had in so many years that I can't remember when there was more.:D

xufan02
10-06-2008, 06:56 AM
He would have made a better PF at X if we had another big man. I think he is trying to say that Frease has enough of a face up game to play PF if needed along side of Love.

That is exactly what I'm saying. If for instance Brown does not come back we could play Frease, Love, Mclean, and a 2009 recruit who is a Center. In the scenario Frease and Mclean would be the likely PF candidates because they both have better range than Love. Also Frease has better range than Mclean. Will Kenny Frease play all his minutes at the 4, no, if Xavier recruits a Center for 2009 we could see Kenny slide over a times.

kyxu
10-06-2008, 08:04 AM
I see what you're saying, but has Xavier really ever made it a practice of pushing their 4's out to shoot? They may have, but I don't recall. Having the ability to do it is one thing, but I still don't see the correlation in Xavier's system between range and playing power forward. With the exception of Doellman, I can't remember the last power forward we had that we didn't force to exclusively bang inside. And Miller had to develop Doellman to do that.

I just think that a 7'0 player with any kind of mobility (Frease) is a commodity, and would be best served playing the 5 and only the 5.

xufan02
10-06-2008, 08:11 AM
Xavier's PF have been shooting the three in the Miller era. Brown, Duncan, Doellman all played the PF and shot the three. At the end of the year Duncan started at Center but Love was our only true Center. The majority of Duncan's points were off pick and roll three's or going to the basket. Bottom line Miller recruits players with versatility that can play multiple positions. I'm not saying in the 2009-2010 season if Brown goes pro Kenny is going to be starting at PF. All I'm saying is that if Xavier recruits a true Center in the class of 2009 which they are likely given the Braswell situation(looking more so like they will because Braswell is a heavy Charlotte lean) that I would imagine that Miller would play various combinations:

Love at the 5, Mclean at the 4.
Love at the 5, Frease at the 4.
Frease at the 5, Mclean at the 4.
New guy at the 5, Frease at the 4.
New guy at the 5, Mclean at the 4.

Also with this versatility in the line-up Xavier can run pick and roll as well as high low. From an offensive perspective Xavier would be extremely diverse, and defenses would not know how to play us on a given possession. Of course if Brown stays for his senior year Frease would most likely split time with Love at the 5 only.

Muskie
10-06-2008, 08:29 AM
I've just not see any indication that Frease isn't a "true center".

xufan02
10-06-2008, 08:30 AM
I've just not see any indication that Frease isn't a "true center".

Have you seen him play? I am talking about a scenario that would not take place until the 2009-2010 season that relies on Derrick Brown going pro. Lets wait until you guys have seen Kenny play this season and we will talk about it next offseason.

kyxu
10-06-2008, 08:30 AM
Good points all around. Thanks. Don't know how I could forget Duncan.

Muskie
10-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Have you seen him play? I am talking about a scenario that would not take place until the 2009-2010 season that relies on Derrick Brown going pro. Lets wait until you guys have seen Kenny play this season and we will talk about it next offseason.

No... I haven't seen him play. I don't think you've seen him play either, yet we're pontificating about he can supposedly shoot 3's and play face up against college competition. I like the wait and see approach.

My only thought is, we finally get some height at the 5, and now people want him out away from the basket.

Muskie
10-06-2008, 09:07 AM

I never considered Duncan a True Center though. He was a SF playing out of position in my book. It worked well, so i can't complain too much.

xufan02
10-06-2008, 09:38 AM
No... I haven't seen him play. I don't think you've seen him play either, yet we're pontificating about he can supposedly shoot 3's and play face up against college competition. I like the wait and see approach.

My only thought is, we finally get some height at the 5, and now people want him out away from the basket.

Muskie, I have watched Kenny play three times, twice in high school, and once at the Ohio-KY allstar game. It is not a strong sample size, but it is enough for me to comment that I feel Kenny has a better skill set that would fall under your typical face-up four man vs your prototype back to the basket Center. Also if you compare Kenny's skill set to the players that will form the frontline, Love, Mclean (I have seen Mclean about 6 times), and Brown; Kenny has better face-up skills, save Brown. Therefore, if Brown goes to the Nba draft this season, Xavier is without their most skilled face-up four man.

Also if you couple that with the fact that Xavier is better positioned to grab a Center in the 2009 class vs a PF, it is safe to say that Mclean is not going to be playing all 40 minutes at the PF spot while Love, Frease, and our 2009 share 40 minutes at the Center. Someone is going to log some time at the PF with Mclean and it is more likely to be Frease over Love or our 2009 signee. My point would be mute if we landed Kyryl as the 2009 signee, because although he is listed as a Center by every recruiting service he would play PF with Love and Frease on the roster.

Muskie
10-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Fair enough.

kyxu
10-06-2008, 12:00 PM
....My point would be mute...

Excellent, well thought-out post until this part. "Moot" you mean

I apologize for this. Rarely would I correct another poster's grammar or spelling, but Scoop Snow wrote "irregardless" in his story this morning on Terrell Holloway and I wanted to scream.

xufan02
10-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Well its official, Braswell is a 49er per rivals.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=859622

X-man
10-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Well its official, Braswell is a 49er per rivals.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=859622

First the market, and now this. What a bad day I am having.

_LH
10-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Obviously, if Miller and XU wanted him, XU would have been thrilled to get him to come here but I don't think a player that picks UNCC is too much of a loss. XU will be fine without Braswell and congrats to UNCC on gettng a guy XU and Miller wanted.

rworkman09
10-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Obviously, if Miller and XU wanted him, XU would have been thrilled to get him to come here but I don't think a player that picks UNCC is too much of a loss. XU will be fine without Braswell and congrats to UNCC on gettng a guy XU and Miller wanted.

its not like we're saint bonnie. Prior to coming to the A-10 we were recruiting and playing at a very high level. When we came into the league we had to change the areas and players that we recruit and we are finally starting to get some quality guys back in here. Over the last decade, we've played at a high level more consistently than anyone in the league besides Xavier, it just wasn't during our tenure here. Luckily the A-10 is on the rise, which makes it easier for the league as a whole to recruit at a high level. Lots of four star players coming into the league this year and next.

I'm very happy with this pickup. He is the best recruit we've had commit since I have been in school here. It's just a shame I won't be in school when he takes the floor next year. The upper levels just aren't the same as the student sections.
________
Montana Medical Marijuana Dispensary (http://montana.dispensaries.org/)

xufan02
10-06-2008, 02:30 PM

LH you are so wrong my friend, Braswell was Xavier's #1 target on the board. We have other recruits still available, but to discount his ability because he picked Charlotte is bush league.

_LH
10-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Actually, 02, I'm not wrong at all. You need to re-read what I wrote. I understand that XU was very high on Braswell and if Miller wanted him, I trust that he is a good player that would have helped out at XU but at the same time losing a kid to UK, Duke or OSU are the kinds of kids I really wished XU would have snagged. Losing Howard to Butler and now Braswell to UNCC will not be that big of a loss.

Muskie
10-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Actually, 02, I'm not wrong at all. You need to re-read what I wrote. I understand that XU was very high on Braswell and if Miller wanted him, I trust that he is a good player that would have helped out at XU but at the same time losing a kid to UK, Duke or OSU are the kinds of kids I really wished XU would have snagged. Losing Howard to Butler and now Braswell to UNCC will not be that big of a loss.

I don't know it still looks like sour grapes to me. I think you're discounting the impact that Matt Howard would have made on this team... I think Braswell is a similar impact player. He'll do well at Charlotte.

Johnny X
10-06-2008, 02:39 PM
I don't know it still looks like sour grapes to me. I think you're discounting the impact that Matt Howard would have made on this team... I think Braswell is a similar impact player. He'll do well at Charlotte.

Agree completely. If a player is good, he's good. It doesn't matter which school he picks. Xavier would have loved to have had Braswell.

_LH
10-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Again, for the reading challenged. I understand Miller saw great things in Braswell and if Miller wanted him, I'm sure he would have helped at XU. My point is, XU did not lose as much as people think they have and that XU will be just fine without Braswell, just like they were fine without Howard or a slew of others that chose other schools over XU in the last 5 years.

Firehose
10-06-2008, 02:46 PM
I've let everyone down. I should have written his mother a letter.

Muskie
10-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Again, for the reading challenged. I understand Miller saw great things in Braswell and if Miller wanted him, I'm sure he would have helped at XU. My point is, XU did not lose as much as people think they have and that XU will be just fine without Braswell, just like they were fine without Howard or a slew of others that chose other schools over XU in the last 5 years.

It's not my reading. You seem to discount the players that didn't pick X by implying that X didn't miss out on much.

Maybe that's not what you mean, but it sure reads that way. I for one would love Matt Howard on Xavier's squad. It's a great get for Charlotte. I hope Xavier can fill the class with someone comparable to Braswell.

I"m not trying to pick on you LH.

rworkman09
10-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Again, for the reading challenged. I understand Miller saw great things in Braswell and if Miller wanted him, I'm sure he would have helped at XU. My point is, XU did not lose as much as people think they have and that XU will be just fine without Braswell, just like they were fine without Howard or a slew of others that chose other schools over XU in the last 5 years.you guys will certainly be fine, just seemed like you were taking an unnecessary shot at Charlotte.
________
VERMONT DISPENSARY (http://vermont.dispensaries.org/)

_LH
10-06-2008, 02:59 PM
I don't mean to pick on you Muskie but it has to be your "reading" as I never stated that XU is not missing out but not getting Braswell or Howard. Miller wanted both and I'm sure both would have played well for XU. I have two points. The most important is that XU will be fine without Braswell, just like they were without Teague, Crawford and Howard.

The second point is, with apologies to UNCC but losing a recruit that is down between XU and Duke hurts a lot more than one down to XU and UNCC.

Muskie
10-06-2008, 03:02 PM
That's fine. But I'm not the only one that read it that way.

Cincy Muskie
10-06-2008, 03:18 PM
In the recruiting game you are always going to have more misses than hits. Congrats to 49ers and Chris on his selection. Now let's go get that 6'11" Kyryl Natazkho (sp?) and continue to build our machine.

xufan02
10-06-2008, 03:20 PM
I read it as a shot at Charlotte too. Oh well, I guess Maryland, IU, Va Tech, and Xavier must have wasted their time because Braswell clearly is not an elite recruit, thats why he decommitted from Georgetown. Lol.

rworkman09
10-06-2008, 03:23 PM
The second point is, with apologies to UNCC but losing a recruit that is down between XU and Duke hurts a lot more than one down to XU and UNCC.
really has no bearing on how good a player really is. Sometimes players just fit in at a school that is considered small time when compared to a national powerhouse. Aaric Murray, 35th ranked player overall, committed to La Salle. You saying missing out on a player of that calibre wouldn't hurt as much as if he had been considering someone other than La Salle? It's the same player, his choice of school plays no role in how good or bad he is.
________
Honda Cl160 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_CL160)

Runningman
10-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Enough already. Who a recruit chooses over Xavier is irrelevant. If anything it is more damaging that he went to Charlotte because now we have to face him for the next four years. So many varying elements are present in recruiting and prospects value these elements differently. This is what makes comparable recruiting so difficult.

For some guys it is as simple measuring the two school's recent success or guys put in the NBA. For others it is as personal as a relationship with a coach. Or how much will I be valued at said school over the next three or four years? What is the recruiting picture for the next couple of years?

Disappointed as I may be, we have to put Braswell behind us. Who does everyone think Miller and Co. shift the focus to now?

Endeavor we shall.

MADXSTER
10-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Who does everyone think Miller and Co. shift the focus to now? Endeavor we shall.

Kryrl. I think it would be awesome to have two centers on the floor at the same time who can play both back to the basket and face up to the basket. Once again it would be, pick your poison.

jfickett
10-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Braswell to Charlotte....solid verbal delivered at 3:30 this afternoon...ESPN.com's Dave Telep Reporting the same.

_LH
10-07-2008, 07:01 AM

I never stated that Braswell as not an elite recruit or that he won't be a good player.

workman,

I agree with you that where a kid picks to go to school does not necessarily tell one how good of a player he may be or may turn out to be. XU has had plenty of busts and plenty of diamonds in the rough over the years to demonstrate that point.

Recruiting is a crap shoot. There are busts and dark horses every year. Braswell may be awesome, he may not. Miller liked him and that is good enough for me as a recruit.

However, when XU is going recruiting against a program that brings in multiple McDonald's AA's every year and loses a recruit to them, it hurts much more than losing a recruit to a team like UNCC, which is a good program but clearly not an elite program.

Johnny X
10-07-2008, 07:23 AM
However, when XU is going recruiting against a program that brings in multiple McDonald's AA's every year and loses a recruit to them, it hurts much more than losing a recruit to a team like UNCC, which is a good program but clearly not an elite program.

You're going to have to elaborate on what this means, because everyone, including myself, still reads this as a shot at Charlotte, and still interprets it to mean what you profess it doesn't mean.

I guess I just don't see how the quality of the basketball program the recruit ultimately chooses has any impact on how much the recruiting miss "hurts". If anything, I'd think it would "hurt" more to lose a player to Charlotte than Duke, the former being an A-10 rival.

principal
10-07-2008, 07:23 AM
It seems to me that it is worse for our *reputation* when we lose a recruit to another A-10 school versus a "power conference" school. I don't think it hurts much at all to lose a recruit to Duke, in fact, to some degree I expect it. If a kid is trying to decide between X and Duke and he chooses Duke it's a bummer, but would anyone be terribly surprised? Is anyone surprised to lose Braswell to Char?

On the other hand, if the comment means that a recruit choosing between X and Char is a lower caliber recruit than a recruit choosing between X and Duke (which is probably generally true) and that losing a higher caliber recruit is worse than losing a lower caliber recruit, then I see how the comment was not a full-on shot at Char.

Also, and I hate to mention it, in a case such as this do you think the people at Char point to our recent transfer "problem" as a reason to chose Char over X?

_LH
10-07-2008, 07:29 AM
Johnny,

Do you think UNCC is an Elite program? I don't.

Johnny X
10-07-2008, 07:38 AM
Johnny,

Do you think UNCC is an Elite program? I don't.

I don't see what difference that makes.

_LH
10-07-2008, 07:40 AM
You don't think Duke does a better job recruiting than UNCC does? Wake up man!

Johnny X
10-07-2008, 07:43 AM
You don't think Duke does a better job recruiting than UNCC does? Wake up man!

I think Duke can recruit certain players on their name alone, so I can't comment on who does a "better" job recruiting. Still, I fail to see the correlation.

_LH
10-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Coach K is a better judge of talent than UNCC's coach. If you can't see the connection, I feel sorry for you.

Johnny X
10-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Coach K is a better judge of talent than UNCC's coach. If you can't see the connection, I feel sorry for you.

Again, your opinion. But I still don't see how losing a recruit to a program with greater notoriety and a coach who is a better judge of talent in your estimation "hurts" Xavier more than losing them to a school with arguably not as great recent success and one we have to play every year.

It's that connection that I think I'm not getting.

_LH
10-07-2008, 07:55 AM
I never said it was anything more than an opinion Johnny, just like it is your opinion to the contray.

Let me explain it one last time, and you can agree or not, it does not matter to me. When XU loses a player to a top program, it is highly likely that that player will be really good. If an Elite Program wants someone he is probably really good. Recruiting services do a poor job evaluating talent and I realize that Duke misses on recruits from time to time but far less than UNCC or XU does. It is really not that hard to understand.

Firehose
10-07-2008, 08:29 AM
Now, girls....

Ninerballin
10-09-2008, 07:44 PM

Yea I'm sure X would have turned away players such as Curtis Withers, Eddie Basden, Rodney White, Brendan Plavich, Leemire Goldwire, Jobey Thomas, etc. etc.

Don't get this X elitist attitude.

I never said it was anything more than an opinion Johnny, just like it is your opinion to the contray.

Let me explain it one last time, and you can agree or not, it does not matter to me. When XU loses a player to a top program, it is highly likely that that player will be really good. If an Elite Program wants someone he is probably really good. Recruiting services do a poor job evaluating talent and I realize that Duke misses on recruits from time to time but far less than UNCC or XU does. It is really not that hard to understand.

So basically applying your logic, Memphis, Flordia, and plenty of others just lost out on the 5-star #26 OVERALL recruit (#4 CENTER) to GEORGIA STATE, that guy isn't going to be good?

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3966080

I guess the big boys could say the same about Kenny Frease. He commited to Xavier, he's probably not going to be that good. That simply doesn't work.

Let me remind you, Crean wanted Braswell so bad that he would have found a way to get him a scholarship.

MADXSTER
10-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Nineballin, I'll forgive this time since you're new to the board.

Take a look at _LH's reputation icon. He has approx 150 post and still has a negative reputation amongst the Xavier Hoops posters.

Other XH posters with credible reputations have compared Braswell to David 'Freakin' West. Believe me that the rest of us know that we missed out on a good one.

If you wish to waste your time with _LH then so be it.

MHettel
10-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Let me say that Brawell to Charlotte is a pretty good alternative to us not getting him. He's a former GTown recruit, and had some big time schools looking at him.

Charlotte hasn't exactly pulled their weight in the A10 yet, especially considering that many of their fans thought they would immediately dominate.

this is a step in the right direction for them, and by extension, good for Xu.

_LH
10-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Niner,

I never said any of those things. I will thank you not to read more into my posts they ARE ACTUALLY THERE.

Mad,

I know more about college basketball than you will ever hope to know. I could care less about rep points on this board. It is a popularity contenst with people that don't know eachother. It is actually quite pathetic.

I never said UNCC was not a good program and I repeatedly stated that XU and Miller wanted Braswell and that by extension, so did I.

nuts4xu
10-14-2008, 08:12 AM
It will be good to see Braswell develop. He sounds like a solid player, and Xavier would have been glad to have him. Good luck to the Niners.

XU05and07
10-14-2008, 08:26 AM
If he isn't with us, I'm glad he's in the conference. The whole A10 needs growth and quality players. As much as I like to dominate the A10, the conference needs to be more competitive if we are ever going to get 4 or 5 teams in the NCAA tournament every year. There are only 15 roster spots a year...we can't have everyone

MADXSTER
10-14-2008, 05:29 PM
15??? I count 13.

XU05and07
10-14-2008, 05:53 PM
15??? I count 13.

13 scholarships...15 on the roster

MADXSTER
10-14-2008, 06:07 PM
13 scholarships...15 on the roster

Ah! I wasn't sure if you were drinking or if I was drinking.

XU05and07
10-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Ah! I wasn't sure if you were drinking or if I was drinking.

could have been...drinking the Xavier Basketball Kool-Aid

_LH
01-29-2009, 12:59 PM
He will regret that decision, no doubt but does anyone think he might realize NOW that he made a poor choice in his verbal to UNCC?

_LH
01-29-2009, 01:03 PM
I wonder if Braswell is starting to have second thoughts about picking UNCC over XU.

moepvc04
01-29-2009, 01:16 PM
I would have to imagine he knew the situation he was getting himself into by going there, so probably not. I bet hes loving the fact that hes going to start from day 1 and log 30+ minutes a game. They're recruiting class isn't too shabby either.

kyxu
01-29-2009, 01:32 PM
I wonder if Braswell is starting to have second thoughts about picking UNCC over XU.

Unless Lutz gets canned, there's nothing he can do about it as he's signed his letter of intent.

I would have to imagine he knew the situation he was getting himself into by going there, so probably not. I bet hes loving the fact that hes going to start from day 1 and log 30+ minutes a game. They're recruiting class isn't too shabby either.

Agreed. Charlotte is pretty terrible this year, but they've been decimated by injuries and will have some decent talent coming in, which will probably allow Lutz some reprieve.

kyxu
01-29-2009, 01:34 PM
He will regret that decision, no doubt but does anyone think he might realize NOW that he made a poor choice in his verbal to UNCC?

He might not, considering he'll start from day one at Charlotte. And he's no longer simply a verbal, as he's signed and sealed with them as of last November.

PMI
01-29-2009, 01:43 PM
He might not, considering he'll start from day one at Charlotte. And he's no longer simply a verbal, as he's signed and sealed with them as of last November.

I concur, but are you sure you are prepared to disagree with Kathy Bates? Gear up.

DC Muskie
01-29-2009, 01:44 PM

He'll be kicked off the team by Christmas, anyway.

kyxu
01-29-2009, 01:47 PM
He'll be kicked off the team by Christmas, anyway.

Really? Why?

Had not heard such a thing.

thefortyniner
01-29-2009, 01:51 PM
LH, I believe you're a bit confused. Braswell committed here, to Charlotte... not NC Central. I can see why you mixed their name up though... for some reason ESPN continually calls them "UNCC" rather than "NCCU". Sneppah aixelsyd.

DC Muskie
01-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Really? Why?

Had not heard such a thing.

I'm mostly just messing around. But the kid didn't like going to school really.

moepvc04
01-29-2009, 02:16 PM
If, and I do mean if, Braswell chose Charlotte over Xavier because of playing time, then we really shouldn't be too upset that we didn't get him. Xavier wants players who want to come here because they know they are going to win. Obviously no one goes to a school where they know they wont get PT, but I would imagine Braswell's minutes would be cut in half here compared to "NCCU" next year. The majority of players who choose a school based on minutes do so because, "they want to be seen." They have their eyes on the next level before they even step foot on campus. Thats not to say that they can't be molded into a team player, though. Stanley Burrell is a perfect example, his Freshman year he was "the man". He shot a lot and just had a swagger about him that exuded an NBA confidence and that led to a lot of inadvertant shots. Four years and an Elite 8 run later he was one of the best defensive, hustle players in college basketball. So good luck to NCCU on Braswell, we'd rather have someone who wants to be here anyway.

moepvc04
01-29-2009, 02:20 PM
If Braswell would have been at the game yesterday, despite the 20 point beatdown, he probably would still choose Charlotte based solely on the weather.

_LH
01-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Players can regret their decisions even after signing. No one ever transfers right? I would expect that he probably does regret going with UNCC over XU.

_LH
01-29-2009, 06:54 PM
Players can regret their decisions even after signing. No one ever transfers right? I would expect that he probably does regret going with UNCC over XU no matter how nice the weather is outside while he is stuck in a gym.

asmithxc
01-30-2009, 08:17 AM
LH, I believe you're a bit confused. Braswell committed here, to Charlotte... not NC Central. I can see why you mixed their name up though... for some reason ESPN continually calls them "UNCC" rather than "NCCU". Sneppah aixelsyd.

ummm..... perhaps i am misunderstanding you, but Charlotte is definitely UNCC.

uncc.edu

The Artist
01-30-2009, 08:29 AM
ummm..... perhaps i am misunderstanding you, but Charlotte is definitely UNCC.

uncc.edu

We've already been through this. Charlotte officially changed their name a while ago, but due to some North Carolina law, they cannot change their URL.

GoMuskies
01-30-2009, 10:27 AM
They officially changed the name, but the home page of the website still refers to the institution as the University of North Carolina at Charlotte?!? I don't think so.

They did change the way they refer to their sports teams.

The Artist
01-30-2009, 10:32 AM
They officially changed the name, but the home page of the website still refers to the institution as the University of North Carolina at Charlotte?!? I don't think so.

They did change the way they refer to their sports teams.

For whatever it's worth, I figured he had more info than we did.

Please don't take this the wrong way... but UNCC is not our name.

The University officially stopped using the term "UNCC" in the 90's, under Chancellor Woodward. The Athletic Department has been just "Charlotte" since 2001. The only reason that our website still says "UNCC" is a blue law in NC that prohibits public universities from changing their website URLs.

Not trying to be nit-picky or pretentious, but we are currently pushing for a name change (to University of Charlotte) and a large part of it is due to things like this.

GoMuskies
01-30-2009, 10:41 AM
I guess they stopped using UNCC and instead always refer to themselves as the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.

When I lived down there, I always thought it was kind of a problem that there was no University of Charlotte. Sounds like there might be soon.