PDA

View Full Version : The Season

Bigbluebrotha
08-22-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm looking at this roster thinking this team really has the chance to do something special. I know we like to write that every year, but this team has great elements. Some new coaching direction throughout the A-10 should play to XU's advantage and the NIT will give them a chance to get a couple strong wins early, especially if they can knock off N.C.

Realize this is preseason optimism here, but is anyone with me?

cinskyline
08-25-2008, 10:44 PM
I tend to agree, but I still have some concerns, and here they are:

1. PG play -- Jennings and Barringer were very inexperienced coming into last season. I think both (especially Jennings) got valuable experience playing the point, often in pressure situations, which should help both this year. BUT, I have a lot of concern about them on the offensive side of the game. Jennings shot 26% overall and 26% from three. Barringer shot 28% overall and 25% from three. Those numbers are really, really bad. If X wants to get to the postseason and advance, they need to average about 10-12 PPG between them. Plus they have to shoot well enough so opponents will actually respect them on the arc. This is the most critical aspect of the upcoming season IMO.

2. FT shooting-- Bottom line-- This was just terrible last season. 61% as a team is unacceptable and must be better this season.

3. Motivation-- The team must come out with a greater sense of urgency and play hard from the start of games. This is one area of concern that I've had with almost all of McGuff's teams-- for some reason the team often gets lazy and doesn't always play hard which leads to silly losses. The next two seasons will tell me a lot about KM as a head coach.

This team SHOULD be really good. Will they? We'll see. I'm cautiously optimistic.

XU-PA
08-26-2008, 05:46 AM
It's very very difficult to look at this roster and not be excited about the next 2 years at Cintas.

Have to assume the 3 Musketeers, Harris, A'Phil and T'Phil anchor the front court. I have to imagine that Special, Dee Dee, Tudy and Jerri are fighting for the 2 guard spots. I hope it;s a good hard fight, that is a very talented group of young ladies.

I suspect that Mo will still fight very very hard for PT all year long, but I just don't see her starting in this group. Perhaps she will finally make her mark as the 1st off the bench, remember Aida, she was the only regular on the roster with no starts, but proved throughout the season to be both a spark plug and a fan favorite. (and I loved announcing her name!!)

One thing I've seen for years under Coach M and under his predecessor as well, they loved to set a starting five in November, and then never change. I would love to see the competition for the starting spots continue throughout the year. Nothing like fighting for a job to motivate you to do your best, just a thought.

Very excited to see Xavier get a step onto the national stage, also very anxious to see if the local fans will step up and show regular support. Honestly the attendance numbers last year were disappointing to say the least. I know the Queen City is a man's sport town, and I know there is a lot of competition for the sports ticket dollar, but I would hope that a team with this much talent might be able to shake the locals up a bit. Hopefully the local media can do their part in not ignoring the games.

Bigbluebrotha
09-09-2008, 02:32 PM
I think Jernigan will play the point and sure that spot up significantly, plus add a better outside shooter. I agree the FT shooting has to improve, but it really didn't seem to concern the coaching staff last season. I think the staff took an it'll come around approach. I don't know what the shooting was vs. Nebraska, but if they left four on the line, that philosophy may have changed. As for motivation, if you can't get excited to seize some early opportunities against good competition, you shouldn't be playing.

cinskyline
09-10-2008, 08:58 PM
I think Jernigan will play the point and sure that spot up significantly, plus add a better outside shooter.

I can't see McGuff dumping both his PG's in favor of Jernigan.

I don't think that would go over very well in the locker room, not to mention that this would essentially be admitting that both Special and Alesia are busts.

So, if Jernigan starts, then who comes off the bench? Who is going to end of sitting on the bench this year (and next year for that matter)? Alesia... Special..

XU-PA
09-11-2008, 06:08 AM
Point guard being the key position that it is, and the fact that it's been the one missing piece over the last few years for Coach M's teams, perhaps Dee Dee is the one to lead them to the promised land. I agree in a way with you Snow, it's way way too early to anoint her as the starter, but bigblue, your thoughts are right on, the position needs to be solidified. I still say those 4 or 5 players (Special, Dee Dee, Alesia, Tudy and Jerry) will battle for the one and two spots. Competition is a good thing for those ladies, add in Tyeasha Moss and it gets really interesting. I would also hope that Stephany Johnson steps up and earns some more PT.

Actually when you look at it, perhaps depth, for the first time in many years, will be a true asset for the Musketeers. Interesting, it would be something new!!!

Bigbluebrotha
10-23-2008, 01:18 PM
First, it's a good sign we're having this debate because that means there is depth. I know the staff has set a starting five and the 06-07 starters played most of the minutes, but I think the staff will be comfortable playing eight or nine regularly. The great element of the situation is that all of the ladies outside of the freshmen have seen extensive game experience. It will be interesting to learn if the staff attempts to switch the starters to exploit a particular element of an opponents game. For instance, let Tudy Reed try to lock down Angel McCoughtry this year or give April Phillips a shot to play her physical in the post. Those were two elements unavailable in that game last year. In summary, there are a lot more options this year and I think the staff will use them.