PDA

View Full Version : I hate Mike Brown & the Bengals

xubball93
08-19-2008, 05:42 AM
I can't believe they are resigning that loser Chris Henry. I will root for every team the Bengals play and relish another dismal season as they reap what they sow.
I feel bad for Carson - he seems like a stand-up guy. I challenge Marvin not to play Mike Brown's punk ass player. If he's forced to, I challenge Carson not to throw to the jerk. I challenge the other receivers to step up their games and make Henry a nonfactor.

Jumpy
08-19-2008, 06:45 AM
I posted this in the other thread, but I might as well mention it here as well. Carson loves Chris Henry. that has never changed throughout all his wacky adventures. While he might not say it publicly, I'm sure he is happy the guy is back.

Bottom line, the image of the team isn't nearly as important to any of the players, coaches or management as it is to the fans because they see it differently than we do. To them, it is a business where winning equals success; at just about any cost. To us, the team is a source of pride that encompasses more than just winning.

Sometimes they do make it hard to be a Bengals fan, but I'm definitely not going to stop.

PM Thor
08-19-2008, 07:07 AM
I really don't understand the signing anyway. Marcus Maxwell was doing rather well in camp...

Mike Brown is a complete idiot.

xeus
08-19-2008, 07:12 AM
Bottom line, the image of the team isn't nearly as important to any of the players, coaches or management as it is to the fans because they see it differently than we do. To them, it is a business where winning equals success; at just about any cost. To us, the team is a source of pride that encompasses more than just winning.

Wait, are you talking about the same Bengals I've been watching most of my life? The Brown family Bengals? I'm not sure they equate winning with success.

BlueGuy
08-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Henry is a goof! Like him or hate him, though, he's going to continue to get 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and even 6th chances. People will stop giving him these extra chances when he can't run as fast, and cant catch TDs.

Smails
08-19-2008, 07:39 AM
I think its laughable how people are equating Chris Henry with winning. Like somehow this team is going to start blocking at the point of attack , and getting penetration on the defensive line due to the fact that Chris Henry is back in the fold. He's suspended for 4 games right? What's the point of bringing a turd back in the fold if this team is 1-3 or 0-4? Chris Henry is not the answer to this team's ills. I'm a season ticket holder and this sickens me

XU05and07
08-19-2008, 08:08 AM
If the Bengals can't win any games...they might as well win the title of most arrests

This is a move in the right direction for that

drudy23
08-19-2008, 08:38 AM
I think we've seen enough in 20 years to know that it doesn't really matter who is on the team. It's pretty damn hard to go this long with the results we've had. It's not a crazy coincidence that we suck every year.

So, they signed Chris Henry...they're still the Bengals.

Juice
08-19-2008, 09:07 AM
Pat Sims, Chad, Andre Caldwell, Antwan Odom, etc. are all hurt. So this signing is useless because the Bengals will still suck, and we will look like idiots in the process. We will lose and sacrifice any ounce of integrity that was left (probably none) by resigning Chris Henry. The guy won't even play until week 5 so plan on a 0-4 record to start the season, and another suspension for Henry because he will probably get arrested in that month anyways. The Bengals suck, Mike Brown sucks, Marvin Lewis sucks, and we all suck for actually supporting this team.

Jumpy
08-19-2008, 09:13 AM
Wait, are you talking about the same Bengals I've been watching most of my life? The Brown family Bengals? I'm not sure they equate winning with success.

That is true. I was taking the outlook of a normal owner, not Mr. Brown in particular.

Snipe
08-19-2008, 09:31 AM
I didn't like his Henry's friend talking trash in the bathroom during the Xavier- West Virginia game.

I was not happy about that.

Kahns Krazy
08-19-2008, 09:58 AM
The guy was booted off the team for some charges that were later dropped. I think some of you guys are going way over the top.

To the OP, do you really think the Bengals care what you think if you are the type of "fan" that will "root for every team the Bengals play and relish another dismal season"?

Seriously, you're not a fan if you're rooting against the team and hoping for failure.

And Snipe, really? You're going to judge a guy because his loudmouth friend was popping off in the bathroom? I sure hope I'm not judged because my loudmouth friend pops off at the crosstown shootout and gets tossed from the arena.

I'm concerned that this signing means that Chad's shoulder might be worse than they are saying.

drudy23
08-19-2008, 10:16 AM
The guy was booted off the team for some charges that were later dropped. I think some of you guys are going way over the top.

To the OP, do you really think the Bengals care what you think if you are the type of "fan" that will "root for every team the Bengals play and relish another dismal season"?

Seriously, you're not a fan if you're rooting against the team and hoping for failure.

And Snipe, really? You're going to judge a guy because his loudmouth friend was popping off in the bathroom? I sure hope I'm not judged because my loudmouth friend pops off at the crosstown shootout and gets tossed from the arena.

I'm concerned that this signing means that Chad's shoulder might be worse than they are saying.

Yeah, because Chris Henry is a model citizen. He's a punk thug.

For me, it's not the fact that they brought Henry back, it's the fact that this signing, without a doubt, was done without the head coach's backing. It's directly in line with what has doomed this franchise for 20 years...Mike Brown making personnel decisions.

He made his head coach look like an ass...plain and simple.

Kahns Krazy
08-19-2008, 11:16 AM
You know for a fact that Marvin Lewis was opposed to the signing at this time? How do you know this?

Billy
08-19-2008, 11:20 AM
My suggestion to Bengals fans:

ABORT!

nuts4xu
08-19-2008, 11:41 AM
You know for a fact that Marvin Lewis was opposed to the signing at this time? How do you know this?

I am curious to hear Lewis' opinion of this signing. I don't know about now, but he is on record as recently as 4 weeks ago saying he doesn't want Henry back. He has said more than once that he does not want Chris Henry back and has never given any indication he even remotely wants to deal with Henry.

This move makes even less sense because Roger Goodall put a rule into place that teams can now be fined for players that break laws and NFL rules. So if Henry messes up again (how long will it be, seriously) Mike Brown will have to pay a fine to the league.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3500922

Coach says Bengals not interested in embattled receiver Henry
Associated Press

Updated: July 23, 2008, 10:51 AM ET
CINCINNATI -- Coach Marvin Lewis emphatically closed the door Tuesday on the possibility of receiver Chris Henry rejoining the Cincinnati Bengals.

The Bengals released Henry in April after he was arrested for the fifth time, and the NFL suspended him indefinitely. His court case ended in a mistrial and prosecutors dropped the charges, prompting Henry to seek reinstatement and a chance to play in the NFL again.

Lewis said it won't be with the Bengals.

"I'm not interested," Lewis told reporters Tuesday, before the team's annual preseason luncheon. "I don't think it would be productive for our football team. You have to be a productive part to be an NFL player, and there's responsibilities to being an NFL player. It's a privilege, it's not a right. There's a lot that comes with being an NFL football player."

drudy23
08-19-2008, 12:06 PM

Do I need it...it's a damn messageboard. I'll say whatever I want.

Billy
08-19-2008, 12:11 PM
Nuts,

If there's one thing you should know about Lewis and Brown when it comes to low character guys...it's that both of them are full of shit. Don't listen to them on this topic. We've heard this song and dance from the offices at PBS like a dozen times before.

Bad character/high talent guys are to those two, what cocaine was to Steve Howe. It's been proven over-and-over-and-over-and-over again. This will only get worse at times (such as now) when their backs are against the wall. Lewis is fighting for his job this season. And the roster he has...well, it's not very good as far pure talent...to be polite about it.

My prediction. The Bengals are looking for a new head coach in January...and they continue to suck at least until Mike Brown takes his eternal nap. Perhaps longer if they keep the team within the family for another generation.

The NFL is all about player eval. Therefore, you guys are probably f**ked for awhile.

xeus
08-19-2008, 01:02 PM
I still can't quite believe this.

http://wa3.images.onesite.com/thelotd.com/user/lance/henrymugshot.jpg

nuts4xu
08-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Nuts,
The NFL is all about player eval. Therefore, you guys are probably f**ked for awhile.

2 years ago I would have (and did) argue this point with you (at least the "f**ked for a while" part)--but not now. There is talent on this team, but how can anyone say there is enough talent.

I agree wholeheartedly about the player eval part and never would have argued with on that point, especially not now. The Bengals and Mike Brown have treated the scouting department/player evaluation personnel like they were afterthoughts. That is a shame, because that is the lifeblood of any program.

nuts4xu
08-19-2008, 01:20 PM
"We keep spending all this time on the knuckleheads instead of on the good guys; that's a problem," Marvin Lewis said. "When you spend all your time coaching knuckleheads and not spending the right amount of time with the right players in the right direction because you're putting out fires over here, putting out fires over there ... ."-Bengals.com, July 27

nuts4xu
08-19-2008, 01:21 PM
I think it is quite clear this was a Mike Brown decision. The press conference will be aired tonight on 1530 Homer. I want to hear Marvin's take.

Kahns Krazy
08-19-2008, 01:25 PM
I know what Marvin said publicly 4 weeks ago before his top two receivers were hurt. I just don't know that he said the same thing yesterday behind closed doors.

I can and can't believe it. Assuming that the Bengals are used to the distraction, it makes sense to add a talented 3rd wide receiver when your top two are hurt 2 weeks before the start of the season.

In March, Chris Henry was on the team, and I don't recall many people wanting to boot him at that time. He got into some sort of scuffle with some kids who are alleged to have blackmailed him to drop the charges. The charges were ultimately dropped. Isolated, this would be a total non-incident. On Chris Henry's rap sheet, it's another mark in a string of them.

A four game suspension for an incident where charges were already dropped is a little rough, in my opinion, but Henry has earned that treatment. Hopefully, the paycheck will prove to be enough incentive for the guy to finally straighten up and fly right.

I hope that there was a team discussion on the subject, at least with the important players, and that the sentiment was that the team wanted him back. Actually, it's a message board, so I'll just say that I know for a fact, without a doubt, that such a meeting took place, and it was unanimous that the team voted to bring Henry back.

Frankly, Chris Henry is an exciting receiver to watch, and I'd rather have him on the field than not. I really don't care nearly as much about the character of NFL players, since they aren't anything other than paid athlete-entertainers.

xavierj
08-19-2008, 01:29 PM
You guys are crazy if you think Marvin was against this signing. The whole team wanted him back and several of them are on record including Chad Johnson and the team captain John Thornton who is a stand up guy. Henry is an idiot but that still has nothing to do with the teams feelings about him. He is like the blacksheep of your family. You care about him and want him to do well but he keeps fucking up but you never kick him to the curb. Oh and in this case the guy can catch passes and run really fast and the Bengals already have 3 wr's down and Chad may be out for the year. So as a Bengal fan I would rather have Chris Henry running routes then Doug Gabriel. I just hope he can stay out of the clink.

XU 87
08-19-2008, 01:30 PM
No other NFL team, other than the Bengals, would have brought back Chris Henry. But moves likes this are just another reason why the Bengals are the worst organization in football.

I can't wait to her Marvin explain this move. My guess is that Marvin didn't want the guy back and Mike vetoed Marvin. At least that's what Daugherty is reporting.

But how does Marvin coach the team now? Does Marvin have any authority over this team? Last week he said he didn't want Henry back. Now he's got Henry back.

I think it's safe to say the Bengals will have another losing season. The only question is how many losses.

The other question is how long before Henry gets arrested again? And I think Henry is on the NFL's "drug probation" which means no drinking (if I'm wrong please correct me). But this is interesting since I saw Henry in March doing shots at Gameday. I also heard he was doing shots during the XU-WVU game at Gameday.

But you would have thought that by now Mike Brown would have learned that you can't build a team with bums. Then again, you would have thought that the season ticket holders would have learned by now that Mike Brown doesn't care about them or having a winning team. He cares about making a lot of profit. If he happens to win while doing that, then that's ok too.

But when you have an owner who doesn't really care about winning combined with an owner who is incompetent, you get one winning season since 1991.

nuts4xu
08-19-2008, 01:31 PM
I hope that there was a team discussion on the subject, at least with the important players, and that the sentiment was that the team wanted him back. Actually, it's a message board, so I'll just say that I know for a fact, without a doubt, that such a meeting took place, and it was unanimous that the team voted to bring Henry back.

I don't know if there was a meeting, but you get the feeling that these guys will be more forgiving than the fans. Here was John Thornton's comment on Bengals.com.

"If he's going to play for anybody in the league, why not here?" asked defensive tackle John Thornton, who served as defensive captain last year. "The Bengals took a lot of crap for him. Why let him go somewhere else, and he goes plays for Dallas and he becomes a superstar? He knows this offense.

"If he screws up, he's done. It's a one-strike policy. If everybody is comfortable, if the NFL is comfortable with it ... in my opinion, as a friend and a player, I think the locker room would light up just to see him back because everybody's been reading about how tough it's been with him with foreclosures and all that."

nuts4xu
08-19-2008, 01:35 PM
You guys are crazy if you think Marvin was against this signing.

I ain't crazy, but I am nuts. And Marvin talks out of both sides of his mouth, but he made his opinion on this subject pretty clear. How are you so sure Lewis wanted to bring him back? I understand the players wanting to bring him back, but Marvin is the man who has to answer more questions than anyone on the subject.

I can see why the brought him back, but I thought we had already charted a course without guys like him this season. If he can stay out of trouble, he is a big part of this offense. Problem is, he has shown zero ability to stay out of trouble for any extended period of time.

XU 87
08-19-2008, 01:42 PM
I wonder if Mike will re-sign Odell Thurmann after he serves his suspension. And he'll be cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if Mike isn't at least considering that possibility.

Kahns Krazy
08-19-2008, 01:57 PM
If Marvin said something publicly that wasn't entirely true to avoid answering more questions about the subject, it would not be the first or last time.

Smails
08-19-2008, 01:59 PM
My suggestion to Bengals fans:

ABORT!

I wish Paul Brown would have said that to his wife after she told him she was 'late'. Ok...that was harsh but I'm sick of this shit and I'm not wired like Billy and can't just abandon teams I've been rooting for my whole life. This sucks

Fellow Bengal fans, want some entertainment? Go get a copy of the schedule and find 5 wins that you'd be confident betting on. I can't find any

drudy23
08-19-2008, 02:03 PM
TJ and CJ being a little banged up has nothing to do with this signing. By the time Henry returns, it will be 7 weeks from now. You can't tell me TJ and CJ are 7 weeks away from being 100% healthy...if that is the case, we better pack up now.

They signed Henry for the year...that tells me the two receivers they drafted aren't as good as advertised. And most likely, again, they screwed up the draft and drafted them too high.

Kahns Krazy
08-19-2008, 02:11 PM
You can't tell me TJ and CJ are 7 weeks away from being 100% healthy...if that is the case, we better pack up now.

To quote some other douchebag...

it's a damn messageboard. I'll say whatever I want.

I think it's fairly likely that between TJ and Chad, at least one will not be 100% by week 5. Neither is expected to practice at all for the next two weeks. As far as packing it up now... there are plenty of Bengals fans that believe that is exactly what should be happening.

Watching the game on Sunday, Carson's timing is off without any of his top 3 receivers from last year on the field. If nothing else, I think it will help the Bengals in practice to have at least one of them out there.

drudy23
08-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Carson's off-day had nothing to do with "timing." Let's see how good your timing is when 300 lb. maniacs are tearing yuor head off every other play.

If Carson has time, he can hit you, me, Gary Coleman, Manute Bol, an ant, etc, etc. If he has to scramble and move, he's screwed.

wkrq59
08-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Little has changed for this franchise since it began in 1967. The faces of management and coaches may be different but the attitude is the same.
Oh, and one other thing really hasn't changed. Since Lewis came on board the team has sold out every game and will do so for the next four seasons. They are now advertising for fans to get on the waiting list to buy season tickets.
Much as we rant and rave, and there is much to rave about, poor drafts, failures to sign, lousy offensive coordinator, injured players who seldom heal fast enough or completely unless (as with Carson) they go for treatment as far from the club as possible, disgruntled players driven to stupidity by agents, Mike Brown's rehabilitation clinic that rivals the Betty Ford and many more misadventures too numerous to name and not worth my effort and time.
But win one or two games in a row and the stupids will again be hollering "Who Dey?":D

ServiceUnavailable
08-19-2008, 02:52 PM
Mike Brown has no integrity.

Juice
08-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Little has changed for this franchise since it began in 1967. The faces of management and coaches may be different but the attitude is the same.
Oh, and one other thing really hasn't changed. Since Lewis came on board the team has sold out every game and will do so for the next four seasons. They are now advertising for fans to get on the waiting list to buy season tickets.
Much as we rant and rave, and there is much to rave about, poor drafts, failures to sign, lousy offensive coordinator, injured players who seldom heal fast enough or completely unless (as with Carson) they go for treatment as far from the club as possible, disgruntled players driven to stupidity by agents, Mike Brown's rehabilitation clinic that rivals the Betty Ford and many more misadventures too numerous to name and not worth my effort and time.
But win one or two games in a row and the stupids will again be hollering "Who Dey?":D

That is the problem with the "hardcore" Bengal fans. If we do win a couple games, they will just forget about all the stuff they are complaining about now. It will not matter that this franchise has no integrity or that Mike Brown treats his fans like idiots. They will buy C. Henry #15 jerseys and yell Who Dey at whoever has an orange shirt on.

Also, Lance McCallister put some stat on his blog a month or two ago saying that the number of fans on the Bengals waiting list has actually gone down. I hope so because lack of butts in the seats/loss of money is all that matters to Mike Brown, but I guess it didn't matter that much because TV blackouts were pretty common in the 90's.

XU 87
08-19-2008, 02:58 PM
And therein lies the problem. The ONLY time Mike made any changes and made any attempt at winning was the first few years after he hired Marvin. And the reason for the changes was because the year before Marvin, the crowds were dwindling to the mid 20's by the end of the year. Now that the fans are back, it's status quo (aka screw the fans).

It's really nothing short of sad that this city got stuck with a franchise run by an arrogant uncaring imbecile like Mike Brown. But with his son, Paul III, taking over the scouting department in a few years, things should turn around.

drudy23
08-19-2008, 03:06 PM
There is a waiting list because 40,000 of the 60,000 fans are there to party. They could care less how good the Bengals are because all they really want to do is get drunk before the game. Am I against that...not really...tailgating can be pretty fun.

Would it be better if the Bengals were good...of course it would. But will people still get drunk before the games even when we suck...obviously, they will.

The atmosphere of football sells itself. Where else can you drink in public, hit cars with footballs, dress up like an idiot, piss in the bushes, drink some more, etc, etc, etc?

The real difference is the casual "fan" realized they can tailgate too. The Bengals selling out has nothing to do with the team...it's the party.

Jumpy
08-19-2008, 03:12 PM
Nuts,

If there's one thing you should know about Lewis and Brown when it comes to low character guys...it's that both of them are full of shit. Don't listen to them on this topic. We've heard this song and dance from the offices at PBS like a dozen times before.

Bad character/high talent guys are to those two, what cocaine was to Steve Howe. It's been proven over-and-over-and-over-and-over again. This will only get worse at times (such as now) when their backs are against the wall. Lewis is fighting for his job this season. And the roster he has...well, it's not very good as far pure talent...to be polite about it.
My prediction. The Bengals are looking for a new head coach in January...and they continue to suck at least until Mike Brown takes his eternal nap. Perhaps longer if they keep the team within the family for another generation.

That's just a ridiculous statement. The current roster is loaded with talent. The problem is many of them are young and they have had a revolving door of coaching philosophies on the defensive side of the ball. As far as player evaluations go, Marvin and Co. have been spot on with their picks. Unfortunately, we've had very bad luck with injuries (Weathersby, Perry, Madieu, Pollack, Irons) and dumbassery (Henry, Thurman, Nicholson, Askew) that have derailed many of their careers.

Jumpy
08-19-2008, 03:14 PM
There is a waiting list because 40,000 of the 60,000 fans are there to party. They could care less how good the Bengals are because all they really want to do is get drunk before the game. Am I against that...not really...tailgating can be pretty fun.

Would it be better if the Bengals were good...of course it would. But will people still get drunk before the games even when we suck...obviously, they will.

The atmosphere of football sells itself. Where else can you drink in public, hit cars with footballs, dress up like an idiot, piss in the bushes, drink some more, etc, etc, etc?

The real difference is the casual "fan" realized they can tailgate too. The Bengals selling out has nothing to do with the team...it's the party.

If all they were interested in was partying, why spend $500+ on season tickets? There is no law in Cincinnati against tailgating without a ticket.

drudy23
08-19-2008, 03:16 PM
If all they were interested in was partying, why spend $500+ on season tickets? There is no law in Cincinnati against tailgating without a ticketThis argument isn't very logical.

And spending $500+ to actually watch these perennial losers is?

Jumpy
08-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Dammit Drudy, you weren't supposed to quote that. I had re-read it and realized that it came off kinda dickish, so I edited the last part out.

And to answer your question, I do pay the money to see them because I am a football fan and a Bengals fan. I can't help that my team has sucked for many years and seem to spin their tires now, wasting the talent that they have. they are, however, my team and I will not jump on and off the bandwagon at my leisure as most "fans" in this city seem to like to do.

XU 87
08-19-2008, 03:27 PM
That's just a ridiculous statement. The current roster is loaded with talent.

I couldn't disagree more. The defensive line and linebackers are one of the worst in the NFL. The starting middle linebacker is a guy the Bengals picked up as a free agent 3 or 4 games into the season last year. The corners haven't showed much yet and the starting safety Dexter Jackson is old and slow. Running back is also a problem. And the offensive line was pretty bad last year.

The Sporting News ran a series of articles ranking the various teams' positions. The Bengals finished at or near the bottom of every position (as compared to other AFC teams) except for wide receiver and QB. The offensive line may have been a shade below average.

drudy23
08-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Hey, I agree. I would enjoy myself to the fullest if I could sit down and actually watch a football game instead of having to deal with drunken idiots.

But you can't deny that over half of that stadium could really care less if the Bengals lose that day. Christ, half the place is dude's girlfriends along for the party. The next 25% are dudes that kind of like football, but like to look at women even more. The final 25% are the true fans.

Billy
08-19-2008, 03:29 PM
And therein lies the problem. The ONLY time Mike made any changes and made any attempt at winning was the first few years after he hired Marvin. And the reason for the changes was because the year before Marvin, the crowds were dwindling to the mid 20's by the end of the year. Now that the fans are back, it's status quo (aka screw the fans).

It's really nothing short of sad that this city got stuck with a franchise run by an arrogant uncaring imbecile like Mike Brown. But with his son, Paul III, taking over the scouting department in a few years, things should turn around.

I disagree with this. I think their approach now is probably exactly the same as it was in 2004 & 2005. There's no evidence that they've cut the scouting department (what little there is) or that they are doing anything differently. If there has been a change, where is it hiding?

Truth is, the 2005 team was good, but REALLY played over their heads. I think the fans of Cincinnati greatly overvalued that team, and made too much out of what they saw. That team feasted on a terrible schedule and got some breaks. Their defense created TOs at a rate that was absolutely not sustainable. Their TO rate was the equivalent of shooting 75% behind the three-point arc in basketball. One of those freakish things that happens occasionally, but likely won't repeat itself.

BTW, the reason I think there's a waiting list is because of cornhole and tailgating. I'm with Drudy. As a Cubs fan, I can't criticize people for attending sporting events for ambience...but there's a lot to that at PBS. I'd venture a guess that 1/4 of people at their games now are female. Back in the 1980s and 1990s, when it wasn't a party (it was illegal, in fact)...they all stayed home. You couldn't get a woman within ten miles of Cinergy Field.

Take the party away, and these games are back to not selling out immediately.

Juice
08-19-2008, 03:42 PM
I am with Drudy. I cannot believe the amount of "fans" that jumped on the bandwagon about the time they beat the undefeated Chiefs. Every story I hear from someone that goes to a Bengals game always starts out with or centers around how drunk that person got at the game. I honestly think that most of the fans go to the games to get drunk, scream who dey, and then talk about "how hilarious Chad is!"

As a Bengals fan myself, I will honestly say that Bengals fans are annoying idiots.

XU 87
08-19-2008, 04:00 PM
I disagree with this. I think their approach now is probably exactly the same as it was in 2004 & 2005. There's no evidence that they've cut the scouting department (what little there is) or that they are doing anything differently. If there has been a change, where is it hiding?

Back in the 1980s and 1990s, when it wasn't a party (it was illegal, in fact)...they all stayed home. You couldn't get a woman within ten miles of Cinergy Field.

1) When Marvin first arrived, they actually allowed Marvin to cut some of the problem children (Reinard Wilson for one) and they cut a second round pick from the year before (cutting a high pick so soon never happened in the previous years). The Bengals actually signed some free agents that other teams wanted. But Marvin was in charge and the players knew that, at least initially. I don't think you can safely say that anymore.

2) Tailgating took place in the 90's (I was a season ticket holder back then) and I'm fairly certain it took place in the 80's. And I know it took place in the 70's. I think there was one brief period in the 80's or 90's where the police were pissed off about something and they started ticketing people for open container. But I think that lasted a game or two.

Billy
08-19-2008, 04:14 PM
2) Tailgating took place in the 90's (I was a season ticket holder back then) and I'm fairly certain it took place in the 80's. And I know it took place in the 70's. I think there was one brief period in the 80's or 90's where the police were pissed off about something and they started ticketing people for open container. But I think that lasted a game or two.

My recollection is different. There certainly wasn't any tailgating going on in garages. Perhaps in private open lots not operated by the city??

That said, I don't know how to substantiate said recollection. Where exactly were you tailgating in 1995? Down by Caddy's?

Kahns Krazy
08-19-2008, 04:16 PM
But you can't deny that over half of that stadium could really care less if the Bengals lose that day. Christ, half the place is dude's girlfriends along for the party. .

There is a dude that brings 30,000+ girlfriends to the games? Wow.

Not at all true where I sit. It wouldn't surprise me if this is the case in the upper half of the upper level, in the endzones and in the corners (bandwagon fan seats), but if you've been in the stadium since it was built or before, the majority of the fans around are there to see the game.

The female fans that sit near me, with one exception, are there to watch the Bengals win. The other one is a complete bitch that is there to make sure her husband has no fun.

It's far more fun with the stadium seats full, so I enjoy the bandwagon fans.

As far as tailgating, I don't understand what the problem is. Fans really have zero impact on what happens on the team or on the field. If people want to get together and tailgate to have an enjoyable game day, why is that a problem? Getting so drunk so that you miss the game is pointless to me, but I really don't care if other people do it, so long as they don't interfere with my game. In my section, this is not a problem.

Kahns Krazy
08-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Billy is correct. Tailgating was outlawed in city operated lots for a time. I don't have the dates, but my recollection was mid 90's.

xubball93
08-19-2008, 05:27 PM
Here's why the Henry resigning makes no sense to me: This guy is not a game-changer. It's not like they went 7-1 or 6-2 or even 5-3 after the moron came off suspension last year. I will grant you, he makes some dynamic plays, but not enough to win games.
Consider this: Henry has been suspended for 43% of his games (15 of 35).

XU 87
08-19-2008, 05:38 PM
That said, I don't know how to substantiate said recollection. Where exactly were you tailgating in 1995? Down by Caddy's?

I think it was near there but a little closer to the stadium. I think it was in the big lot just west of the old stadium. I do have some vague recollection that the police wouldn't bother you as long as you poured your beer in a cup.

Jumpy
08-19-2008, 05:49 PM
I couldn't disagree more. The defensive line and linebackers are one of the worst in the NFL. The starting middle linebacker is a guy the Bengals picked up as a free agent 3 or 4 games into the season last year. The corners haven't showed much yet and the starting safety Dexter Jackson is old and slow. Running back is also a problem. And the offensive line was pretty bad last year.

The Sporting News ran a series of articles ranking the various teams' positions. The Bengals finished at or near the bottom of every position (as compared to other AFC teams) except for wide receiver and QB. The offensive line may have been a shade below average.

Of course they have weak spots, but what team other than the Patriots doesn't? Their linebacking core is not a talentless bunch. They didn't go out and sign Jones, Marshall and Schlegel because they were upgrades. They signed them because the linebackers were decimated with injuries. Jones has stayed on with the group because of his knowledge of the game... something that the guy that should be starting, a guy dripping with talent, just doesn't have.

Running back is a problem only in so much as they aren't sure what they have. They know Rudi is over the hill and largely ineffective, but to call Chris Perry talentless is obsurd. If he didn't have a glass body, I can all but guarantee that he would have taken over the starting spot and be considered one of the best backs in the league by now.

Palmer, TJ, Chad, Jones, Anderson are all elite players in the NFL. Add in very good but unproven talent like Perry, Whitworth, Andrews, Utecht, Gaethers, Odom, Rivers, Joseph and Hall. You can't honestly tell me that this team is talentless.

PM Thor
08-19-2008, 06:13 PM
There is a dude that brings 30,000+ girlfriends to the games? Wow.

Not at all true where I sit. It wouldn't surprise me if this is the case in the upper half of the upper level, in the endzones and in the corners (bandwagon fan seats), but if you've been in the stadium since it was built or before, the majority of the fans around are there to see the game.

The female fans that sit near me, with one exception, are there to watch the Bengals win. The other one is a complete bitch that is there to make sure her husband has no fun.

It's far more fun with the stadium seats full, so I enjoy the bandwagon fans.

As far as tailgating, I don't understand what the problem is. Fans really have zero impact on what happens on the team or on the field. If people want to get together and tailgate to have an enjoyable game day, why is that a problem? Getting so drunk so that you miss the game is pointless to me, but I really don't care if other people do it, so long as they don't interfere with my game. In my section, this is not a problem.

In this day and age, Bengals fans have to have a good buzz on to watch that debacle on the field. Otherwise there would be a Mike Brown lynching...

And I too believe that the Bengals will be looking for a new head coach at the end of this year, that is, unless they have a miracle season....yeah right.

XU 87
08-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Jones has stayed on with the group because of his knowledge of the game... something that the guy that should be starting, a guy dripping with talent, just doesn't have.

They know Rudi is over the hill and largely ineffective, but to call Chris Perry talentless is obsurd. If he didn't have a glass body, I can all but guarantee that he would have taken over the starting spot and be considered one of the best backs in the league by now.

Palmer, TJ, Chad, Jones, Anderson are all elite players in the NFL. Add in very good but unproven talent like Perry, Whitworth, Andrews, Utecht, Gaethers, Odom, Rivers, Joseph and Hall. You can't honestly tell me that this team is talentless.

1) The linebacking group is one of the worst in the NFL. Other than Rivers, there is little talent and no depth. Jones is starting at Middle linebacker and he had no job when the season started last year. And the defensive line is also one of the worst in the league. There's a reason this team can't stop the run (or the pass).

2) Perry has talent. But as you point out, he gets hurt all the time. He has missed 3 of 4 seasons.

3) Palmer and Chad are elite. TJ is very good but he's been to one Pro Bowl. Willie Anderson is old and is not even close to elite anymore. He was listed as a backup when the season started and is only starting because they shuffled the line because the original starting center is so bad and got benched. By Jones, are you referring to Levi Jones as being an elite player? He sucked last year (although he was injured) but has he ever made a pro bowl?

4) As for the rest of the team, I never said there is NO talent. I said, or at least I was trying to say, that the overall talent is poor when compared to the rest of the league. There's a reason this organization has had one winning season in 18 years. And it's not because of bad luck. It's because of incompetent management that doesn't truly care about winning. As a result, we see the results.

Jumpy
08-19-2008, 06:50 PM
1) The linebacking group is one of the worst in the NFL. Other than Rivers, there is little talent and no depth. Jones is starting at Middle linebacker and he had no job when the season started last year. And the defensive line is also one of the worst in the league. There's a reason this team can't stop the run (or the pass).

2) Perry has talent. But as you point out, he gets hurt all the time. He has missed 3 of 4 seasons.

3) Palmer and Chad are elite. TJ is very good but he's been to one Pro Bowl. Willie Anderson is old and is not even close to elite. He was listed as a backup when the season started and is only starting because they shuffled the line because the original starting center is so bad. By Jones, are you referring to Levi Jones as being an elite player? He sucked last year (although he was injured) but has he ever made a pro bowl?

4) As for the rest of the team, I never said there is NO talent. I said, or at least I was trying to say, that the overall talent is poor when compared to the rest of the league. There's a reason this organization has had one winning season in 18 years. And it's not because of bad luck. It's because of incompetent management that doesn't truly care about winning. As a result, we see the results.

Ah, now you're getting on the right track. I refuted Billy's original statement that the team lacks talent. That statement alone was a naive and simplistic description of the Bengals' problems. The team obviously has talent. The heart of the argument is not talent level, but whether the coaching staff/management is competent enough to make the talent they have work together in a scheme that is successful. this is yet to be decided.

Multiple years of top 10 rankings prove that the offense is in good shape. I choose to hope that Zimmer is a guy that can actually unlock the potential of the defense. If they simply become respectable, improve to middle of the road, this team will be ok.

As you have stated, the middle of the defense (namely DT and LB) has been the weak link. This has been addressed with Peko, Rivers, Sims and Shirley. We will see just how much they improve the team's ability to stop the run. Once they do that and make teams one dimensional, that is all the defense needs to hold their own. I'm not expecting immediate results (especially from Shirley) that cause them to leap into the top ten in defense as well, but don't be surprised when they play markedly better than last year.

XU 87
08-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Ah, now you're getting on the right track. I refuted Billy's original statement that the team lacks talent. That statement alone was a naive and simplistic description of the Bengals' problems. The team obviously has talent. The heart of the argument is not talent level, but whether the coaching staff/management is competent enough to make the talent they have work together in a scheme that is successful. this is yet to be decided.

That's not what I said. Is there SOME talent on this team? Yes, particularly at QB and WR. But the overall talent level is below average and at some positions its at or near the worst in the league. Sporting News agrees with me.

There are also problems with incompetent mangement that doesn't give a damn. And there are problems with a coaching staff getting these guys ready to play, although it doen't help when management undermines the coaching staff.

But you are a true believer if you think this team has plenty of talent. I , on the other hand, tend to think that history will repeat itself.

AdamtheFlyer
08-19-2008, 08:33 PM
He makes them better, and that's all I care about. The NFL is not a league for choir boys. Scumbags everywhere. Chris Henry's main issue is being a dumb scumbag. Smart scumbags don't get arrested. They sleep with well endowed, married blondes and become a genius coach.

XU 87
08-19-2008, 08:37 PM

Based on Marvin's comments in the press conference, it's pretty clear he didn't want to sign this thug. But Mike owns the team, and Mike, despite his ineptness, doesn't need to listen to people who actually know a thing or two about building a team. Mike sees a player who is cheap and can run a fly pattern. Marvin apparently sees a bum who gets suspended all the time, who will miss the first 4 games of the season, and based on recent history will probably get arrested before the years over.

Way to undermine your coach Mike. Unfortunately, Mike doesn't give a damn. For a guy who is one of the biggest losers in sports history, it's amazing how arrogant he is.

AdamtheFlyer
08-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Here's why the Henry resigning makes no sense to me: This guy is not a game-changer. It's not like they went 7-1 or 6-2 or even 5-3 after the moron came off suspension last year. I will grant you, he makes some dynamic plays, but not enough to win games.
Consider this: Henry has been suspended for 43% of his games (15 of 35).

22-13 with him on the field since 2005. "Game changer" Maybe not. Game changing potential? Yeah. Scares the crap out of opposing coaching staffs? Yeah. Open things up for others? Yeah.

He has a positive effect on the offense.

You numbers are not right. He's played 35 of a possible 48 regular season games, and he may have missed a couple of games with injuries not suspensions (I can't remember off the top of my head). Not a shining example of anything, but not as bad as you make it seem.

PM Thor
08-19-2008, 09:06 PM
You know what? I had one though about this again.

Henry won't make the team. Mark my words. Marvin Lewis is going to do everything in his power to keep this guy off of the roster, if he has any balls.

Tonight, basically Marvin said that it was Browns decision, and that the fans shouldn't be frustrated, because it is futile. If he isn't a lackey of Brown, Marvin has a chance here, ONE chance, to prove that he is in control of the actual on field decisions. Don't let Henry on the field, argue he doesn't know the routes, is out of shape, anything. And if he is on the field, FORBID the QBs to throw to him. Make it absolutely moot about his resigning. Make him unable to do anything on the field, and cut his ass.

I can only hope.

Fred Garvin
08-19-2008, 10:23 PM
He makes them better, and that's all I care about. The NFL is not a league for choir boys. Scumbags everywhere. Chris Henry's main issue is being a dumb scumbag. Smart scumbags don't get arrested. They sleep with well endowed, married blondes and become a genius coach.

He can only run the fly route.

wkrq59
08-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Sorry, Thor, but that won't happen. And you should know it won't.
Henry will be on the field for game 5 --barring additional screwups which I suspect his new babysitter won't allow--and there is no way in hell that Carson Palmer will NOT throw the ball to a wide-open Henry. And say what you will about the yuld, Henry can and does get open and he has been a favorite target of Carson's.
And as far as Marvin making up excuses to keep him out of the lineup, very unlikely to happen. That's because Mike Brown or a member of his family is always on the sidelines for every practice and believe me he knows what's going on.
Those who knew Mike's dad from high school to the Bengals know he was always giving some kid or older guy a chance to get straightened out. He signed Jess Phillips right outside the prison gates as he was released after serving time for forgery among other schemes. He kept a big defensive end whose name escapes me on the team despite several unsavory--at least they used to be -- STD cases, one of which was obtained on a tour of army bases in the post-Vietnam area. The dose he had was so damn rare the Bengals had to send him to Atlanta for treatment because that's where the Centers for Disease Control were located.
Oh, and there is something else. The mere fact that we've expended so much time and space on this thread means we're either devoted fans who are really pissed, or we've all --myself included--got really bad lives.:D

Billy
08-19-2008, 11:07 PM

Yes, this is a poorly run organization. No question there.

But other than the skill players on offense, that team is one gigantic pile of suck talentwise. I admit that I don't see them play 16 times per season like you do...but from what I have seen, they have appeared physically overmatched all over the place.

Who on their defense do you like? Peko has a shot to be really good...and Odom and Geathers are OK. I think some of their rookies have a shot to be decent after a few years. But the secondary and linebackers in general have been completely disgusting. It's not scheme...I'm pretty sure Marvin is at least competent with implementing defense. The talent is deficient.

Fred Garvin
08-19-2008, 11:20 PM
What is the deal with Geathers? Am I wrong in thinking his performance was far superior at defensive end than at LB? I know the Bengals were depleted last year at LB.

Jumpy
08-20-2008, 05:52 AM
What is the deal with Geathers? Am I wrong in thinking his performance was far superior at defensive end than at LB? I know the Bengals were depleted last year at LB.

He was. That is why he is the starting RDE this year.

boozehound
08-20-2008, 06:21 AM
I have very little faith that Chris Henry won't get arrested again before his suspension is up. The guy just cannot control himself. That smirking press conference he gave, in which he never really accepted responsibility for his behavior and apologized, doesn't make me think that he has turned any corners.

Kahns Krazy
08-20-2008, 09:52 AM
I have very little faith that Chris Henry won't get arrested again before his suspension is up. The guy just cannot control himself. That smirking press conference he gave, in which he never really accepted responsibility for his behavior and apologized, doesn't make me think that he has turned any corners.

I really, really want you to be wrong, but I certainly wouldn't bet a penny against it.

If he does screw up again, I want it to happen in the first 4 weeks. What I would hate most is for him to come back, have the Bengals somehow miraculously be 5-5 going into Pittsburgh on a short-week Thursday night, and get nabbed then, causing maximum disruption and derailing the season.

In fact, if i see him out, I may pick a fight just to save the team. Time to start hanging out at Game Day.

wkrq59
08-20-2008, 02:36 PM
Why would a known alcoholic like Henry ever be in Game Day or any other place in the Tri-state that serves alcoholic beverages or where they might be obtained?
Don't know anything about parole laws in this state or in Kentucky but I suspect they include a prohibition of visiting places or associating with people who can cause your parole to be revolked. Is Henry not still on parole and/or probation (Are they the same???) and should his mere presence in such establishments constitute a violation of said parole or probation?
The Reds provided Josh Hamilton with a 24-7 babysitter and were richly rewarded for it. (If you consider the swap of Volquez for Hamilton a good, even trade).
If Mike is serious about getting and keeping Henry back on the right track he'd better ask Willie Anderson or someone just as big and/or as tough and a disciplinarian to shepherd Chris. Yes, Chris Henry is a grown man but the day when you can say to a team, "Boys, we expect you to act like men," has long since past.
I still have a great deal of respect for Mike Brown, as I did for his father and late brother Robin, but I believe he made an error in judgment by taking Chris Henry back.
That said, there is another thread on this site that is far more worth our time and interest--See "Do It B.J., Do it." If the hair on the back or your neck doesn't stand and if you don't get chills accompanied by a tear or two, you are either a UC fan or an android. One thing's for sure, you're no Xavier fan in that case.:D

XU05and07
08-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Fair or not...Chris Henry has a target on his back. He might as well go to practice, to the game, and live in his house with no one visiting him and no contact to the outside world. That is the only way this guy stays out of trouble.

The cops, every fan, the average joe is looking to catch him and they know they can provoke him very easily

Kahns Krazy
08-20-2008, 03:07 PM
I missed the fact that Henry is a "known alcoholic".

PM Thor
08-23-2008, 10:21 PM
http://cmsimg.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Avis=AB&Dato=20080823&Kategori=SPT02&Lopenr=308230036&Ref=TS&NewTbl=1&MaxW=380&Border=1

Welcome to the regular season, fellow Bungle fans. This is going to be horrific.

Look at his freaking nose. He looks like Franklin after the Silva fight.

waggy
08-23-2008, 10:52 PM
The NFL is a tough game and costs money to play. They have yet to figure this out over at Bungles headquarters. They got their awesome stadium - where's the team that was supposed to follow?

Raoul Duke
08-23-2008, 11:19 PM
On both sides of the ball, the Bengals had no protection for Palmer and no pressure on Brees. It's been like that most of the preseason and most of last season. I think Munoz had it right when he said without someone putting pressure on the quarterback, your job as a CB is going to be damn near impossible.

Stonebreaker
08-23-2008, 11:27 PM
They suck. I actually did housework during the game I was so disgusted. Thank God for Saturdays.

PM Thor
08-23-2008, 11:30 PM
I am honestly considering letting a buddy pay me half price for my season tickets this year, that is how much I don't want to watch this team. I just want to hold onto that damn seat license.

waggy
08-23-2008, 11:35 PM
That pic of Carson will end up all over the internet world. Probably a good thing, since I doubt Mike Brown likes reading the local rag he might actually see it.

xubball93
08-24-2008, 05:42 AM
The football gods have cursed the Bungles for resigning Henry and poor Carson is going to bear the brunt of the punishment. He's going to be running for his life all season long.

Prediction: 5-11 and that's being generous.

Jumpy
08-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Blitz recognition by the OL, RB and TE's was horrible last night. Inexcusable. With that said, though, Kaes and whoever that LB was on the play should be fined big time for that hit. They broke so many rules on that hit, it isn't even funny. Look at this picture:

The LB goes head first, spearing Carson and making helmet to helmet contact while Kaes manhandles him with a blow to the face. Both hits should have been flagged, but none were. To make matters worse, Carson actually got out of that and started scramblingup field only to have the play blown dead prematurely. Worst officiated play I've seen in a long time.

Juice
08-24-2008, 11:57 AM
According to Chick Ludwig, here are two signs at the stadium last night:

ONE SIGN

“Fool me once,

Shame on you

Fool me six times,

Shame on Mike Brown”

(removed at 6:44 of first quarter)

ANOTHER SIGN

“Hey, Mike: You can’t be serious

Please tell me Chris found Jesus”

(removed at 9:23 of first quarter)

I personally find the angry fan signs more entertaining than the Bengals themselves. This team is horrible. I really think they will win 6 games at best. I always thought the offensive line was overrated but now I am convinced that is just bad. There was no protection for Carson and Chris Perry could not find a hole to run through.

Raoul Duke
08-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Blitz recognition by the OL, RB and TE's was horrible last night. Inexcusable. With that said, though, Kaes and whoever that LB was on the play should be fined big time for that hit. They broke so many rules on that hit, it isn't even funny. Look at this picture:

The LB goes head first, spearing Carson and making helmet to helmet contact while Kaes manhandles him with a blow to the face. Both hits should have been flagged, but none were. To make matters worse, Carson actually got out of that and started scramblingup field only to have the play blown dead prematurely. Worst officiated play I've seen in a long time.

That was the play where Palmer got the bloody nose? I didn't even put that together watching the game. As far as blowing it dead, agree that it was horrible officiating. Hopefully the refs get that out of their system in the preseason.

Jumpy
08-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Yeah, that was the play where they broke his nose.

As far as the officiating goes, I wouldn't expect any better treatment during the regular season. For whatever resason, the Bengals ALWAYS seem to be on the short end of the stcik when it comes to bad calls. Two years ago against the Pats, Kaes put a wicked legal hit on one of their receivers and gets called for unsportsmanlike conduct. Now, with the Saints, he lays a wicked illegal hit on Carson and nothing is called. I could go on, but that struck me as truly ironic last night at the game.

AdamtheFlyer
08-24-2008, 03:06 PM
I still have a good feeling about the season. I get tickeled when people talk about the preseason. If the Bengals were playing great, you'd read "It's only preseason, it doesn't matter". When they struggle in preseason, they're done. Season over. Don't be Lance McAlister.

Nothing matters until they kick it off in Baltimore.

MADXSTER
08-24-2008, 03:19 PM
The reason this thread is titled "I hate Mike Brown & the Bengals" is because if it were titled "I like Mike Brown & the Bengals" it would be a rather boring thread.

Raoul Duke
08-24-2008, 06:45 PM
I still have a good feeling about the season. I get tickeled when people talk about the preseason. If the Bengals were playing great, you'd read "It's only preseason, it doesn't matter". When they struggle in preseason, they're done. Season over. Don't be Lance McAlister.

Nothing matters until they kick it off in Baltimore.

I disagree. Ok, you can't use preseason results as a very reliable indicator of regular season performance. But you can use preseason performance as a somewhat more reliable indicator of regular season performance.

In other words, the Bengals preseason W-L record may admittedly be useless. But you can look at the starters' performances during the preseason and get an idea of what the regular season is going to look like. The bottom line is that the offensive starters aren't giving Palmer any protection, and the defensive starters aren't getting any pressure. It was like that all of last year. I think that's a pretty good picture of what things are going to look like this season.

boozehound
08-24-2008, 07:51 PM
I don't care if it is the preseason, the lack of pressure and protection is disgusting. The thing that I don't get, is that this is basically the same O-line as last year, and they did a decent job of pass protecting last year. Not a great job, but certainly much better than we have seen this preseason.

What is the over/under on the amount of losses/games played that it takes for the 'mike brown' bags to start coming out again? I know that some of you remember those from the 90's. I think that if they are 2-6 at the half way point the bags are going to come out.

I really hope that I am wrong. I really do. If the O-line can't protect better than they have been though, I am worred about Palmer's safety.

drudy23
08-24-2008, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE=boozehound;52970] think that if they are 6-2 at the half way point the bags are going to come out.

QUOTE]

Bags at 6-2?...I'm pretty sured everyone would be thrilled with 6-2....did you mean 2-6? Are you boozing, boozehound?

Juice
08-24-2008, 08:58 PM
I personally think that the Bengals could be undefeated and it would still be a good time to break out the Mike Brown bags because anytime is a good time for those things.

AdamtheFlyer
08-25-2008, 01:48 PM
I disagree. Ok, you can't use preseason results as a very reliable indicator of regular season performance. But you can use preseason performance as a somewhat more reliable indicator of regular season performance.

In other words, the Bengals preseason W-L record may admittedly be useless. But you can look at the starters' performances during the preseason and get an idea of what the regular season is going to look like. The bottom line is that the offensive starters aren't giving Palmer any protection, and the defensive starters aren't getting any pressure. It was like that all of last year. I think that's a pretty good picture of what things are going to look like this season.

The first teamers largely have not played well on a macro level, I agree. But, they have played less than a game in total. They barely played a half on Saturday. Maybe they'd have worn people down as the game went on and turned things around. We don't know.

Projections and predictions just can't be logically made based on preseason performance, IMO. I don't have any problem going back to last year for stuff. That's legit. And I agree, the team will have many of the same problems as the past.

Juice
08-25-2008, 01:49 PM
The first teamers largely have not played well on a macro level, I agree. But, they have played less than a game in total. They barely played a half on Saturday.

Projections and predictions just can't be logically made based on preseason performance, IMO.

Well then what happens when those injured guys (Rudi, TJ, Chad, etc.) come back? They will not have played at all. This team is screwed and the season has not even started.

drudy23
08-25-2008, 02:00 PM
17 years in a row...no playoff wins...what has changed? 'Nough said.

waggy
08-25-2008, 02:50 PM
NFL Power Rankings: The Dreadful Dozen

http://www.comcast.net/sports/russakoffrules/9363/nflpowerrankingsthedreadfuldozen/

SM#24
08-29-2008, 03:41 PM
Funny observation from a fantasy website:

Chris Henry, WR, Cincinnati Bengals Friday 8/29, 1:11 PM CT

Chris Henry was named captain for the Bengals in their final preseason game, according to Pro Football Talk.

Our View: Are you kidding ? If this doesn't cement the fact that this is the worst run organization in sports, we don't know what will. The "C" likely won't be on his jersey when the season starts as he will miss the first four weeks of the season, but the message is still clear - the Bengals are totally lost.

Kahns Krazy
09-02-2008, 10:02 AM
I personally think that the Bengals could be undefeated and it would still be a good time to break out the Mike Brown bags because anytime is a good time for those things.

This is the kind of irrational anti-Bengals stuff I just can't understand. Do you just enjoy booing a team? Why on earth would you put a bag on your head if your team was undefeated?

Juice
09-02-2008, 11:41 AM
I do enjoy booing the Bengals because they have not added a thing to this city, and have taken more away. Even if they do start the season undefeated they would most likely blow it in some Bengal-like fashion. Mike Brown deserves no support.

Kahns Krazy
09-02-2008, 04:19 PM
I personally find it odd to expend energy actively disliking something. If you dislike the Bengals so much, why wouldn't you just wipe your hands and walk away? I personally think this city's obsession with high school sports is bizarre; but I don't go out and boo it, I just ignore it.

Juice
09-02-2008, 04:31 PM
I personally find it odd to expend energy actively disliking something. If you dislike the Bengals so much, why wouldn't you just wipe your hands and walk away? I personally think this city's obsession with high school sports is bizarre; but I don't go out and boo it, I just ignore it.

I am offered tickets all the time to games and I do turn them down. I read about the Bengals and will watch them on TV but I refuse to spend any money on the franchise directly (other than the damn sales tax that goes right into Mike Brown's pocket and TV revenue that he eventually goes into his pocket).

As far as high school sports go, I love them because you can watch players who enjoy what they are doing. There is not a lot of bullcrap mixed into the games like a WR who changed his name to a mistranslated Spanish number, another WR who has been arrested so many times you can no longer count, and that is just the tip of the iceberg. High schools sports are fun because they are cheap and if you go to certain games you can actually see a really good product for your money. The crowds get into and can be very big depending on the game you attend.

boozehound
09-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Personally I think that attending high school sporting events is a litte wierd unless you have a kid/relative/friend's kid that is playing for the team. The 38 year old guys that tailgate at Elder games in purple school buses while wearing an 18 year old letter jacket kind of creep me out.

blobfan
09-02-2008, 08:40 PM
NFL Power Rankings: The Dreadful Dozen

http://www.comcast.net/sports/russakoffrules/9363/nflpowerrankingsthedreadfuldozen/

Who's T.J. Houshmazilli?

drudy23
09-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Personally I think that attending high school sporting events is a litte wierd unless you have a kid/relative/friend's kid that is playing for the team. The 38 year old guys that tailgate at Elder games in purple school buses while wearing an 18 year old letter jacket kind of creep me out.

Here we go again.

And guess what else...all Elder kids live in east Price Hill, have dirty mustaches, and wear shoes with holes in them too.

Kahns Krazy
09-02-2008, 11:48 PM
As far as high school sports go, I love them ...

I swear I wasn't directing my comments at you. I had no idea you were a high school sports fan.

Looks good on you though...

Juice
09-03-2008, 12:10 AM
I swear I wasn't directing my comments at you. I had no idea you were a high school sports fan.

Looks good on you though...

I wasn't offended even if they were directed at me, you brought them up so I just gave my opinion on them. More of a coincidence, I guess.