PDA

View Full Version : I Like* Campbell's Chunky New England Clam Chowder

Tardy Turtle
08-15-2008, 10:46 AM
It makes for a hearty Friday lunch!

*For every "I don't like..." thread from our buddy Guy, I will start a "I like..." thread to balance out the equation.

Kahns Krazy
08-15-2008, 11:40 AM
That sounds delicious.

I love New England Clam Chowder. It is my favorite soup. I find it difficult to find one in a can that I like (which is weird, because I think most of the restaurants that I order it are likely serving it from a can), so I will try your suggestion.

nuts4xu
08-15-2008, 12:09 PM
The Chunky Soups are top notch.

Not a calorie friendly soup, but damn good stuff.

Kahns Krazy
08-15-2008, 12:50 PM
I should amend my favorite soup. Lobster stew as it's served in Maine is my favorite soup.

pickledpigsfeet
08-15-2008, 02:36 PM
My favorite soup is Loud Mouth Soup. Dana's pours a fine one.

Fred Garvin
08-18-2008, 11:08 PM
My fav is chicken and white bean chili.

Fred Garvin
08-18-2008, 11:14 PM
also, if you buy condensed soup at the market, well, you just might be poor.

and if you are poor(Hint, the guy that buys condensed soup), you should prepare vats of baked beans. Economical, low in fat and high in protein....at least that's what I overheard from some grits when i was at the free clinic.

Stonebreaker
08-19-2008, 12:01 AM
It beats......'I like big butts, and I cannot lie'.

pickledpigsfeet
08-19-2008, 07:26 AM
also, if you buy condensed soup at the market, well, you just might be poor.

and if you are poor(Hint, the guy that buys condensed soup), you should prepare vats of baked beans. Economical, low in fat and high in protein....at least that's what I overheard from some grits when i was at the free clinic.

Actually, I just read that beans (dried beans) are 5th on the list of food inflation, up 21.6%, between 3/07 and 3/08. Its behind flour, eggs, sweet peppers, and milk.

Just sayin'.

Fred Garvin
08-20-2008, 11:31 PM
Actually, I just read that beans (dried beans) are 5th on the list of food inflation, up 21.6%, between 3/07 and 3/08. Its behind flour, eggs, sweet peppers, and milk.

Just sayin'.

yeah, i get the feeling that these people don't have to read government statistics. they probably adjust on the fly. it's almost like people could subsist without government. Which is true(except for those employed by government).

Kahns Krazy
08-21-2008, 01:09 PM
i don't understand why sweet peppers are so high on the list. I like peppers, but I would think the demand would be more sensitive to price increases than say flour or eggs. Local growers must be quite pleased that they are able to get a premium on the peppers.

I tried growing some hot peppers this year. I seem to have done something wrong.

Fred Garvin
08-26-2008, 12:12 AM
i don't understand why sweet peppers are so high on the list. I like peppers, but I would think the demand would be more sensitive to price increases than say flour or eggs. Local growers must be quite pleased that they are able to get a premium on the peppers.

I tried growing some hot peppers this year. I seem to have done something wrong.

Yes, it's you. I get quality peppers(and fantastic corn) from Pipkins Market every year.

Fred Garvin
08-26-2008, 12:14 AM
I went to the Taste of Blue Ash this weekend and they sell corn they have dipped in butter. That is decadent and wholesome at the same time.

PM Thor
08-26-2008, 12:38 AM
I have yet to find a lobster bisque that can even come close to the stuff up at the Boardwalk at Put In Bay. I have been to Maine, had about a weeks worth of Lobster stuff in 4 days, and even up there nothing came close.

Oh so good. Lobster bisque.

X-band '01
08-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Lobster bisque - I wonder if the guy that Seinfeld dubbed The Soup Nazi is still in business. LB seemed to be their soup of choice.

wkrq59
09-22-2008, 02:31 AM
There is no better soup in this world than Snapper Soup served at the Old Original Bookbinders on Second and Walnut Streets in Philadelphia. They have put it out in cans and Krogers used to carry it but most stores don't If you can get it, try a bowl wth about a quarter cup of sherry. That is damned good stuff.
Agree on the Campbell's chunky clam chowder and all their chunky soups. Tomato Basil great.
Also, like Worthmore Mock Turtle soup and the doctored versions at Jersey Mike's subs and at the Beer House on 128 near Harrison.
Three sites have pretty fair vegetable soup: Steak and Shake, Cracker Barrel and in desperation Bob Evans (but order it hot or you'll be sorry."
Doubt you can get it around here, but had chicken tortilla soup in Santa Fe. Oh, and try the WonTon soup without the wontons at most any Chinese restaurant.
Damn I love good soups..:D

Runningman
09-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Lobster bisque - I wonder if the guy that Seinfeld dubbed The Soup Nazi is still in business. LB seemed to be their soup of choice.

I think it is Crab Bisque that the Soup Nazi specializes it. Here is where I would be the millionth person to close with the zinger "NO SOUP FOR YOU!"

"Why did you write Count Choculitus, Jim? Is it because you know I love Count Chocula?"

Kahns Krazy
09-24-2008, 08:47 PM
I like a good chicken tortilla soup. Behle St. Cafe in Covington has one of my favorites.

On the other hand, the wonton soup at the neighborhood Chinese joint is horrible.

Runningman
09-25-2008, 01:22 PM
I have and will continue to make the claim that if I had access to any soup all the time I would be completely content with living off soup for the rest of my life. If you are looking for canned soup Campbell's has done a really nice job with their Chunky line.

Soup Power Rankings

1. Lobster Bisque
2. Crab Seafood Bisque
3. Clam Chowder
4. Italian Sausage
5. Chicken Tortilla
6. Baked Potato
7. Steak & Potato
8. Cream of Mushroom
9. Homemade Chicken Noodle
10. Chicken & Rice
11. Egg Drop
12. Won Ton

Thoughts?

xuirish
09-25-2008, 06:30 PM
I am quite the fan of Chicken Corn Chowder, Tomato Basil and even though it's not technically a soup, Irish Stew is so delicious.

wkrq59
09-28-2008, 09:26 PM
I like a good chicken tortilla soup. Behle St. Cafe in Covington has one of my favorites.

On the other hand, the wonton soup at the neighborhood Chinese joint is horrible.

Oh, Kahn..san, the wonton soup without the wontons at P.F. Chang's is the best I have ever tasted.. Sorry about the fact I couldn't remember which restaurant had it.
Someday if I'm in the mood, I'll make a pot of my vegetable soup and share it with the locals.:D

bourbonman
10-01-2008, 08:11 PM
I also am a fan of Clam Chowder. And be careful calling it soup in NE b/c they won't serve you. Anyway, my favorite is Legal Sea Foods'. And if I can't get it freah, order it online.

http://shop.legalseafoods.com/index.cfm/pk/product/ac/list/cid/10087

Great stuff.

Emp
10-09-2008, 04:33 PM
I have yet to find a lobster bisque that can even come close to the stuff up at the Boardwalk at Put In Bay. I have been to Maine, had about a weeks worth of Lobster stuff in 4 days, and even up there nothing came close.

Oh so good. Lobster bisque.

I've had that bisque Thor, and its pretty good for a waterfront place, but I also had a few brewskies that tended to dull my perception and memory,.

I'm totally prepared to be rousted on this one, but the bisque at La Maisonette was the best ever thing to get for lunch downtown. If you could avoid the glass of wine and just sit at the bar in the front, it was about $8, but a meal on wheels. Someone would bring it out in a silver server and ladle it into a big bowl. Worse for your cholesterol than that dipped ear of corn Fred seems to savor, but oh so delicious.

Kahns Krazy
10-10-2008, 10:32 AM
BBM, I once had a Legal Seafood waiter tell me how many fat grams were in the chowder right after I ordered it. I would guess that this was about 15 years ago, and I still hate that poo poker with a passion.

Q, I was referring to the local Chinese joint only. Never had PF Changs version.

There used to be a place in blue ash that made homemade stuffed croissants and had some great soup. I would go there for the italian wedding soup. French onion soup is another one that I like on certain days, and at certain places, but unlike some other soups, french onion is a pretty easy soup to mess up. If the crusty bread/ melty cheese part isn't good, you're just eating onion water.

blobfan
10-13-2008, 10:43 PM
No takers for good old-fashioned chicken noodle? With homemade egg noodles, it can't be beat.

nuts4xu
10-14-2008, 08:07 AM
I'm just not an egg noodle kind of guy. I will eat chicken noodle on occasion, but it isn't in my top 5.

XU-PA
10-14-2008, 05:44 PM
I should amend my favorite soup. Lobster stew as it's served in Maine is my favorite soup.

KK we certainly agree, next time your up this way I'm buying. Campbell's chunky soup??? 1 on of a scale of 1-10. All XU fans are invited to come to Maine, the worst clam chowder here beats Campbell's best effort.