PDA

View Full Version : Even the Military thinks Bush has no clothes

Emp
08-07-2008, 10:31 PM
If I have this right, Bin Laden's driver gets out of jail right around the time...we get out of jail with Bush. How much more of a pimp could the six military judges at Guantanamo have made it, to ask the presiding judge if the guy was getting credit for time served, and then timing the sentence so that the guy would be through serving his time before Bush left office. What a total insult to Bush and the whole gang of idiots, and from what would be expected to be the most hard line, fall in line group imaginable.

What a total botch. Of all the guys we've been holding in Guantanamo, this is the best they could do for the big first Show Trial? Deck totally stacked, coerced "confessions" admissible, virtually no discovery permitted the defense counsel, and this is the guy our government is protecting us from? Who is in charge???

I really feel totally safe now.

And that anthrax guy...7 years to figure that one out? With the mountain of supposed evidence being released now, why wasn't this terrorist in custody long ago?
Answer: the "Justice" department too busy firing and buying out good assistatant US attorneys so that they could pack out Justice with litmus-test hacks who said the magic words "I REALLY think Bush is great!"

No matter who we get in January, it can never be this bad.

PM Thor
08-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Emporer, believe it or not, I actually take pride in this trial.

It shows that the cards aren't totally stacked, as in it's not a kangaroo court. Sure the guy can still be held indefinitely until the "War on Terror" is over, but that really isn't the point here.

The man got a trial, and got off lighter than most hardliners would want. It shows that we, as a country, listen and pay attention to the rules of law (on most occasions). Bush has nothing to do with this. It's about a group of 6 who sat in on this trial, and gave a fair result based on the information they were given. I have no problem whatsoever with it.

Araceli
08-08-2008, 04:49 AM
I feel good about this descision and applaud the separation of powers. This is "unique" and would not happen in most Countries, where basically Montesque has been pronounced as dead and the politicians are free to dabble in the Judicial System.

DC Muskie
08-08-2008, 06:56 AM

It shows that the cards aren't totally stacked, as in it's not a kangaroo court. Sure the guy can still be held indefinitely until the "War on Terror" is over, but that really isn't the point here.

The man got a trial, and got off lighter than most hardliners would want. It shows that we, as a country, listen and pay attention to the rules of law (on most occasions). Bush has nothing to do with this. It's about a group of 6 who sat in on this trial, and gave a fair result based on the information they were given. I have no problem whatsoever with it.

So the guy can serve his term and then STILL not be released? Yeah, wow, awesome, I take pride in that! God Bless America, where we hold you even after we go through a trial, sentence you, and you serve that sentence!

I can't wait for Bush, Chaney and the entire gang of misfit toys is gone.

nuts4xu
08-08-2008, 07:10 AM
George Bush is a great American.

Xman95
08-08-2008, 08:36 AM
[QUOTE=DC Muskie;50521]So the guy can serve his term and then STILL not be released?[QUOTE]

I'm not trying to rip you, DC, so please don't think that's what this post is about. I just quoted you so it would be obvious what I was talking about.

Something many people don't understand is that, when many of these people are cleared for release, they have no place to go. The US Gov't often has to deal with other countries to find someone willing to the prisoners. Just because they weren't guilty of the reasons we were holding them doesn't mean they aren't bad guys that we should be concerned about. That's why many countries don't want them and they sit in our custody until they can be placed.

Again, I'm not trying to get into a pissing match or anything like that. It's just something that many people aren't aware of so, when a politician or activist starts spouting off about the "released" people still in custody, it's usually because they don't know how it works either. We can't just dump somebody into the ocean and tell them to start swimming and hopefully they'll find a country that will accept them.

Emp
08-08-2008, 10:06 AM

"We as a country", ie our administration, is/are keeping prisoners under "make it up as you go" rules that keep getting overturned by a highly conservative and compliant and nearly packed Supreme Court.

We as citizens, yes I am pleased and yes proud that six guys, with careers to think of and this administration's history of punishing anyone who gets out of line (Cf Plame outing), still signaled quite clearly that the whole thing was a joke. The verdicts and the The "sentence" are not an accident, and it's timing sends a pretty clear message. It's the jury's equivalent of the middle finger to the administration. There is no other plausible explanation for a sentence like that.

Are you proud that the best "our county's" War on Terror can do is prosecuting Bin Laden's uneducated driver after he fully cooperated, wow, this is our War on Terror? Does this inspire confidence in you that the priorities are on substance, and not ridiculous show trials?

XUglow
08-08-2008, 10:11 AM

Bush is a misfit? Who knew?

muskienick
08-08-2008, 10:17 AM
George Bush is a great American.

A "great American" what?

Citizen? --- Yes

Entrepreneur? --- Yes

Wedder of an attractive and personable lady? --- Yes

Producer of "hot" daughters? --- Yes

Governor of Texas? --- I guess the Texans liked him so --- Yes

President? --- No Way!

In retrospect, that's probably more "yes" responses than I would have earned.

xu95
08-08-2008, 11:52 AM
I just LOVE coming to a Xavier messageboard and reading political shit. I know, I know, I can just skip over it.

xu95

Lloyd Christmas
08-08-2008, 01:07 PM
this administration's history of punishing anyone who gets out of line (Cf Plame outing),

at least get your facts straight, it was proved that Plame was outed by a member of the state department, Richard Armitage.

PM Thor
08-08-2008, 05:03 PM
So the guy can serve his term and then STILL not be released? Yeah, wow, awesome, I take pride in that! God Bless America, where we hold you even after we go through a trial, sentence you, and you serve that sentence!

Duh DC, I agree with you, but I wasn't pointing to that aspect. I was pointing to at least the guy got a trial. I don't believe in the fact that this guy can be held indefinitely until the end of "The War on Terror", that's true. But he got a trial for what he was accused.

Emp
08-10-2008, 09:51 PM
at least get your facts straight, it was proved that Plame was outed by a member of the state department, Richard Armitage.

Well unlike the vice president, who has actually asserted that he is NOT a part of the administration, lst time I looked, theState Department and the administration patronage hack who did the deed...and a totally petty if it wasnt so freaking wrong beside (Bush promised to jail whoever did it) ...is well like part of the administration. Is this like "it depends on what "is" is?

XU 87
08-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Richard Armitrage was not a supporter of the Iraq war. So your theory that Plame was "outed" for retribution is flat out wrong.

Emp
08-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Richard Armitrage was not a supporter of the Iraq war. So your theory that Plame was "outed" for retribution is flat out wrong.

Deep deep denial here, 87. I assume you are abandoning the premise that Plame was not outed by the administration. The public evidence confirms that Armitage, Rove and Libby all spoke to the press about Plame's covert position. All members of the administration.

Follow up q: if Plame wasn't outed for her husband's contradictions of the administration's yellowcake fabrications, what WAS the motive?

Emp
08-11-2008, 11:10 AM
NPR aired an interview with one of the members of the panel today, who asked his name not be used to not jeopardized his future military assignments.

He basically laughed at the premise that this driver was going to get life, as the prosecution asked.