PDA

View Full Version : TiVo or Time Warner?

xu2006
08-04-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm upgrading... so what should I do?

Which do you prefer? TiVo or another DVR?

XU05and07
08-04-2008, 08:23 PM
DirecTV...I hate Time Warner...and love the satelite

Jumpy
08-04-2008, 08:42 PM
After much consternation, I have decided to make the switch to Directv from TW. It's being installed on Wednesday, I'll give you a full report, if you wish. I'll be switching to their DVR from TW's, so I can lay out the pros and cons after a coupla days.

nuts4xu
08-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Directv. There is really no comparison in my opinion betweend Directv and TW, especially for a sports fan.

XU2424
08-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Whats wrong with TW??? I currently have Directv, but in 4 weeks when I get to Cincinnati I am switching to TW, much cheaper...plus FSN comes in the pack, so that covers the Reds and Muskies. Then the Bengals will be on every game as long as they sell out by Thursday. Where is the issue?? I know that Directv is expensive, I pay a ton out here in Seattle, just so I can watch X, Reds and Bengals. PLUS the HD DVR is extra, with HD DVR, Sports Pack and NFL Sunday Ticket I am well over $125. Any help with what is wrong with TW would be great, especially b4 I go and cancel Directv.

XU05and07
08-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Whats wrong with TW??? I currently have Directv, but in 4 weeks when I get to Cincinnati I am switching to TW, much cheaper...plus FSN comes in the pack, so that covers the Reds and Muskies. Then the Bengals will be on every game as long as they sell out by Thursday. Where is the issue?? I know that Directv is expensive, I pay a ton out here in Seattle, just so I can watch X, Reds and Bengals. PLUS the HD DVR is extra, with HD DVR, Sports Pack and NFL Sunday Ticket I am well over $125. Any help with what is wrong with TW would be great, especially b4 I go and cancel Directv.

I don't know how much DirecTV is out in Seattle...but I pay $60 (standard plus DVR which I find to be better than TW's) plus $24 for internet from Cincinnati Bell. When we had TW, that bundle was $120.

And you get much better customer service and quicker repair time with DirecTV

Cheesehead
08-04-2008, 11:29 PM
I don't pay extra for FSN in my package for Directv but I do think they offer more sports options for folks, especially if you follow a team that may be in the town one is living in. Having said, this their pricing is no longer much of a savings to TW, especially if you bundle your internet and phone w/ it. I've been happy w/ Directv but I will take a serious look at TW when my contract is up in a year.

Also, if you have more than 3 TV's in your house and you're doing HD programming, go w/ TW. I hate how I have to pay $5.00 a month for each box, it's stupid. I do like Directv's DVR though.

Cheesehead
08-04-2008, 11:32 PM
My directv bill is about $85.00 a month for 3 boxes, HD programming, DVR service, my programming package and I have no premiums. That does seem high to me. I don't know how you get Cincy Bell internet for $24/mo.

gladdenguy
08-04-2008, 11:33 PM
I was going to switch to Direct TV from Time Warner this month.
Should I not????
I'm getting so sick of Time Warner. I thought Direct TV was much cheaper and better quality plus more DVRs. Doesn't the Sunday ticket come with installation now?
I would like to hear more from Direct TV customers to solidify my switch.

PM Thor
08-05-2008, 12:55 AM
I gotta say DirectTv. I used to have TW, and I must admit, their promotions right now are incredibly good, but I don't think it is even really close. I like how TW promotes their package services, but if you call Cincy Bell, they give you a break being a DTV customer. You can save either way.

I won't go back to TW. Oh and their new system for replay and DVR is HORRIFIC, I don't know what they were doing with this, but their recent "upgrade" in systems is bad. It is completely terrible. We have it at work. It is just, how do I put this, the upgrade is worse than someone punching you in the nads. Horrific. Slower than the old system, worse search engine, terrible time frames.

Jumpy
08-05-2008, 05:24 AM
I switched from TW to Directv because of 1) more HD programming, 2) free Sunday ticket with sign up, 3) better bundle price than TW. With the most comparable bundles, I will be saving $40/mo. with Directv over TW. And that includes more channels. After the introductory period, I will need the sports pack, but I will still be coming out ahead.

XU2424, the Muskies aren't covered fully by FSN. A handful of the games were on CSTV last year. CSTV is available through TW's sports pack, which I believe is either $5 or $10/mo.

Cheesehead, TW makes you pay a monthly fee for each box in your house, as well. they just don't make you buy the hardware first.

Thor, I completely agree about the on-screen guide upgrade. There was a 3 week period in my house where our bedroom tv had the new guide and the living room tv had the old guide. The difference between the two was night and day. I was praying for the living room tv to stay on the old guide forever, but sadly it upgraded after a while. What really pisses me off about it is when I hit the guide button for the first time in a while. The guide takes forever to load, and actually cuts the video and audio feeds while it is loading. So annoying.

You know, it's funny because I called TW to tell them we were cutting the service tomorrow, and they told me I was paying too much. They promised me a price that was comparable to DTV (but with less channels, and way less HD channels). In the fine print, though, they wanted me to sign a 24 mo. service agreement. they can keep it.

GuyFawkes38
08-05-2008, 07:06 AM
Hmmm, it is hard to get a clear answer on this type of question because the price and the channel bundles always seem to change.

So with both TW and DTV you don't get the all game packages (MLB, NBA, NFL). That's extra for both services. Right??? And it cost about the same to add it on both???

But on DTV you get more standard channels like CSTV.

Does that sum it up?

xu95
08-05-2008, 07:37 AM
The only people who will speak favorably of TW are the ones who want to bundle in their phone and internet and don't care about anything else.

Directv has 100% digital programming. It has over 100 HD channels. The price is cheaper if you compare apples to apples. NFL Sunday ticket is available no where else.

Time Warner has video on demand.

xu95

XU05and07
08-05-2008, 08:46 AM
I don't pay extra for FSN in my package for Directv but I do think they offer more sports options for folks, especially if you follow a team that may be in the town one is living in. Having said, this their pricing is no longer much of a savings to TW, especially if you bundle your internet and phone w/ it. I've been happy w/ Directv but I will take a serious look at TW when my contract is up in a year.

Also, if you have more than 3 TV's in your house and you're doing HD programming, go w/ TW. I hate how I have to pay $5.00 a month for each box, it's stupid. I do like Directv's DVR though.

When we had TW...it was $120 for one box, DVR and internet...and each month on the TW bill there was a rental fee for the box and for the remote

My directv bill is about $85.00 a month for 3 boxes, HD programming, DVR service, my programming package and I have no premiums. That does seem high to me. I don't know how you get Cincy Bell internet for $24/mo.

In the deal that I got (bundled with DirecTV and Cincinnati Bell) I pay $60 for TV - 2 boxes, DVR - and $24 for DSL internet. I do not have a landline.

nuts4xu
08-05-2008, 08:46 AM
The digital picture, NFL ticket, sports programming, March Madness packag available on ly to Directv customers, service from Directv, and the ability to negotiate from time to time with Directv makes them so much easier to deal with. Plus, with their HD channel offering is second to none in the industry.

I also like how they don't dick around and fight battles not worth fighting. Big Ten network was made available--Directv added it to the standard tier with no issues. ESPNU battled with TW--Directv added it to the sports package as soon as it was available.

It has been so long since I have had TW, I really don't know how the price compares. I have 2 boxes, 1 HD DVR, the Total Choice Premier programming (all movie and sports channels), and I pay an average of $123. Plus, I do get a discount with Cincinnati Bell and only pay $24 for high speed internet.

I am not 100% how they 2 compare. I am a sports fan, and you have more access to games on Directv than TW. I am also a big fan of HD, and get miffed if a program is not in HD. I just know I am a BIG Directv fan and have no interest in looking at any other provider.

Cheesehead
08-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Ok, that's it. I'm calling Cincy Bell and asking for directv discount. Thanks fellas. I do feel like Directv's programming is far superios to TW. Yeah, once in a blue moon, it goes out in really bad weather for about 5 minutes. I can live w/ that.

Cheesehead
08-05-2008, 12:06 PM
I just called Cincy Bell and they're going to knock $6.00 a month off my bill and they lowered my internet to $20.00 a month for 6 months followed by a locked rate of $30.00 a month after that, which is lower than the $40.00 a month I had been paying. I love saving money!

XU05and07
08-05-2008, 12:44 PM
I just called Cincy Bell and they're going to knock $6.00 a month off my bill and they lowered my internet to $20.00 a month for 6 months followed by a locked rate of $30.00 a month after that, which is lower than the $40.00 a month I had been paying. I love saving money!

Glad to happy...do I get a commission on that sale from Cincy Bell?

Jumpy
08-05-2008, 12:54 PM

Yeah, Cheese, you had me worried for a minute. You were on e of the people that helped convince me to change to Directv.

AdamtheFlyer
08-05-2008, 05:41 PM
I switched to AT&Ts U-Verse a few weeks ago. It's pretty nice. The U-400 package has the same digital channels you'll get elsewhere and pretty much every premium channel (all sports and movie channels) for about $100 a month.

It's not available everywhere, but if you have it in your area, check it out. I jumped at the chance. I went from TW, to Dish, to DirecTV over the last few years, and U-Verse is my favorite. Outside of not having the Sunday Ticket, it's perfect.

XU2424
08-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Well I guess I will give TW a call tomorrow and see whats up. I will tell them exactly what I want and see what price they give me. I will compare to my current DTV (plus call and see if Cincinnati is cheaper) and if they can beat it, then I will stick with what I have....Anyone here live downtown?? I am moving there and, honestly, I am a little leary of putting dish out of my fourth floor window.

Cheesehead
08-05-2008, 11:33 PM
The neighbors will love it.

PM Thor
08-05-2008, 11:41 PM
Well I guess I will give TW a call tomorrow and see whats up. I will tell them exactly what I want and see what price they give me. I will compare to my current DTV (plus call and see if Cincinnati is cheaper) and if they can beat it, then I will stick with what I have....Anyone here live downtown?? I am moving there and, honestly, I am a little leary of putting dish out of my fourth floor window.

I would check with your building. I assume you are either renting or bought a condo. Either way, most of them don't allow dishes on windows or balconies.

Jumpy
08-05-2008, 11:49 PM
The neighbors will love it.

... for target practice.

XU2424
08-06-2008, 02:19 PM
I am being forced to use Time Warner, so much for that. I am now a Time Warner customer, with Digital package, HD DVR, sports pack and internet. I am paying just under $100, so I can't complain too much.

kmcrawfo
08-06-2008, 09:39 PM

I used Dish Network over Direct TV for many years. The only downside is that you can not get the NFL package. I get all Xavier games, NBA package, etc... It is significantly less expensive than Direct TV. I have 2 DVRs, 4 HD receivers mid to upper level programming for around $65 per month including all taxes/fees/etc...

Love the DVR system, had comcast for awhile which is horrible.

If you can live without the NFL season ticket I recommend Dish Network.

Cheesehead
08-06-2008, 10:36 PM
I had Dish Network for 10 years and was very happy w/ it until I went HD last year and they wouldn't give me the same seals as a potential new customer, so I left. They called me afterwards and I was like, really; now you care?

I know someone who at a partyt once wo told me he just jumps around between TW, Dish, and Directv every couple of years. He said he just plays them off of each other but it drives his wife nuts, as she has to keep re-memorizing the channels. I thought it was quite amusing.

Kahns Krazy
08-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Jumpy - how do you like the DTV after a couple weeks?

Jumpy
08-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Jumpy - how do you like the DTV after a couple weeks?

As far as picture quality goes, I couldn't be happier. Marked improvement over TW.

The DVR is nice, with the same functionality as the TW box, which I liked.

The only complaint is the on-screen guide for the DVR. It is sssssllllllllllooooooooooowwwwwww. The other boxes in the house are much faster when scrolling through the guide. Couple that with having to scroll through every channel under the sun and searching for something to watch can be tedious. You can set up your own custom guide with only the channels you want, but even that is tedious and I haven't fully populated my list yet.

Other than that, I couldn't be happier.

EDIT: Forgot to add in two things that took me by surprise. First, subscribing to Sunday Ticket alone does not entitle you to all NFL games in HD. For that, you need to buy the extra $100 option of Super Fan. That was a minor kick in the nuts. I went ahead and footed the bill for it this year because I'm getting Sunday Ticket free, but I highly doubt I will get it next year. It will really have to impresss me for me to shell out that kind of money.

Second, The sports pack is virtually useless. Nearly all out of market sporting events are blacked out so as to force you to buy the season ticket package for that respective sport. Very big letdown. I will not keep the sports pack once the trial runs out because there is simply no programming worth watching on those channels other than Reds, Xavier and the occasional Cavs game on the local Fox Sports channels. I have no need to watch Vikings weekly insider or the seemingly constant reruns of inconsequential boxing matches on MSG.